PG Music Home
Posted By: DrDan Words and Music - but mostly words - 02/26/12 11:12 PM
Working on a new cover and came upon these lyrics (obviously a big hit).

Bittersweet memories
That is all I am taking with me
But goodbye, please don't cry
We both know I'm not what you need.

...when singing this the sheer beauty of the lyrics hit me!

Then compare them to this - also a big hit:

Where are the crowd
We're c-coming out
Got my flash on it's true
Need that picture of you
It's so magical
We'd be so fantastico

...but no beauty in the lyrics.

Am I just being old or are there few good lyricsists out there today. Perhaps everything has been said. I can come up with lyrics of a dozen older tunes which are brillent, but few come within the last decade or two or three...
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Words and Music - but mostly words - 02/27/12 11:46 AM
literature and music have the power to elevate our thinkling and lead us to consider complex and important topics. In my opinion, the arts in general have shifted from being about concepts to being about feelings (which topic gets redundant pretty quickly.)

Take Christian music as an example. The traditional hymns were mostly statements of doctrine put to music, with the intent of reinforcing the tenets of faith each time the song is sung.

To my ears, contemporary Christian music is often totally lacking in doctrine so the songs are marketable to any denomination. It plays on the common denominator of feelings, which persists across all denominations, but is not the basis of faith at all.

The difference in the power of emotion versus the power of principle is easily seen in war: Soldiers retreat because of emotion, but they stand fast for the sake of principle

CENTS-O-METER
0_______/_.02
Posted By: Mac Re: Words and Music - but mostly words - 02/27/12 02:22 PM
FWIW, I've noticed the same thing, Pat.

--Mac
Posted By: yjoh Re: Words and Music - but mostly words - 02/28/12 12:43 AM
I like Billy Joel's lyrics to the Piano Man, gets me every time, especially the line "when I wore a younger man's clothes" and "as the smile ran away from his face"

Clever use of lyrics. Maybe the poetry and thus the beauty is what is missing in much of the modern songs.
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Words and Music - but mostly words - 02/28/12 01:01 AM
Quote:

I like Billy Joel's lyrics to the Piano Man, gets me every time, especially the line "when I wore a younger man's clothes" and "as the smile ran away from his face"

Clever use of lyrics. Maybe the poetry and thus the beauty is what is missing in much of the modern songs.

The thing with the Piano Man is that every cat who ever played a joint can relate to the tune. We all know "that" business man, "that" waitress and "that" bartender who is a friend of mine etc. etc. I still get flashbacks everytime I hear the song, and in my mind anyway that is what a good lyric is supposed to do.

Later,
Posted By: Keith from Oz Re: Words and Music - but mostly words - 02/28/12 02:16 AM
When I was in high school, in poetry class, we studied Simon & Garfunkel's "Sounds of Silence" as a project. We pulled apart every line and dissected it. Amazing stuff.

Try doing THAT with some of today's songs.
Posted By: Tim Lawrence Re: Words and Music - but mostly words - 02/28/12 07:48 PM
I agree Sound Of Silence is an amazing song.
Also songs like the Boxer and Bridge Over Troubled Waters are some of the best songs of all time.

I was just listening to the country song When You Say Nothing At All.
The version done by Alison Krauss
Wow, what a beautiful song.

Lines like
It's amazing how you can speak right to my heart
with out saying a word you can light up the dark
Or
Old mister Webstor could never define
what's being said between you're heart and mine
Combined with that beautiful simple melody
That song still brings on chills every time I listen to it.

Tim
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Words and Music - but mostly words - 02/28/12 10:37 PM
I think today's writers are writing just as well as any other time period. There are tons of great writings left and right. You just have to be open to it.
Posted By: Tim Lawrence Re: Words and Music - but mostly words - 02/28/12 11:00 PM
That's very true, and haven't most popular songs always been about feelings rather then ideas.
Of course there are exceptions like The Sound Of Silence, Eve Of Destruction and other songs like that.

Tim
Posted By: Sundance Re: Words and Music - but mostly words - 02/29/12 03:02 AM
Lots of great songs around and lots of crap - just as it's always been. I agree that popular Christian music is the most changed in terms of lyric focus. Also the "turn of a phrase" and the gimmicky cutesy stuff in country isn't as in vogue now as it once was.
Posted By: Tim Lawrence Re: Words and Music - but mostly words - 02/29/12 03:16 AM
Unfortunately a lot of the country music lyrics these days kind of sound like they came off of a greeting card.
Fortunately there are still some keepers out there.

Tim
© PG Music Forums