PG Music Home
Posted By: DrDan Horn Section on American Idol - 05/20/12 04:56 PM
It is about time for a shout out to the fantastic ladies of the horn Section on American Idol:
- Damn they sound fine...

A great shot backstage of : Sarah Nelson, Mindi Abair, Jessy J, Anne King, and Elizabeth

Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Horn Section on American Idol - 05/20/12 05:34 PM
Why would you shut out 5 hot women?
Oh, a SHOUT out.....

LOL!!!!

Yes Dan, I am still a wise guy....

I have some of Mindy Abair's stuff. She is killer.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Horn Section on American Idol - 05/20/12 05:51 PM
Uhg!, my bad.

We do seem to have a fiesty group here in the forum these days. Must be the heat.
Posted By: WienSam Re: Horn Section on American Idol - 05/20/12 06:21 PM
Spring is in the air...
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Horn Section on American Idol - 05/20/12 07:28 PM
I really enjoyed their music this year as I liked the format with the band members on stage for a lot of the performances. Of course my guy was voted off last week so (in all honesty) I could not care less who wins. In fact I won't even watch the finals.

Later,
Posted By: Muzic Trax Re: Horn Section on American Idol - 05/21/12 12:48 AM
I was able to obtain tickets for the finale of Fantasia vs Diana, way back when. It was held in the Kodak Theater in Hollyweird. The house music was terrible live. You could hear the vocals clear as day, but the music was almost like it was non-existent. With all of that money, you would of thought it was the best sound in town, it wasn't.

However, my girls enjoyed an evening they will never forget and got to meet 99% of the hosts, singers and other celebrities that were there that night. Believe it or not, Paula Abdul was a hit with my kids. They took pictures with her, Ryan and Randy in front of the Kodak and that made "their" day, so I was thankful for her taking pics with them.

I haven't watched Idol in years.

Trax
Posted By: John Conley Re: Horn Section on American Idol - 05/21/12 10:35 AM
I watched one of those shows ONCE with my wife. They put those people (kids) through BS to be on that show, and embarrass people for no reason. No way out of the 10's of thousands of people did they get some of those really bad people they put on there.

It's more like a lottery ticket with an ego attached to the process.

I'm getting more fun from my new amps and playing Purcell, pipe organs and decaying strings.

Of course, I'm unable to understand ANYTHING on TV without either elaborate contraptions OR closed captioning. The latter has an entertainment factor. Yesterday the CC threw at least 35 bad interpretations, and for some reason kept print A$$ on the screen.

According to a friend of mine the compression on the sound in the HDTV format is tweaked towards keeping the bandwith down so people can Hear the sound on a tablet over wi-fi. That assumption and the science behind are not clear to me, so I'm only repeating what I heard.

Unlike when I make 12 hour baked beans, where I repeat what I ate.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Horn Section on American Idol - 05/21/12 10:59 AM
Quote:

I really enjoyed their music this year as I liked the format with the band members on stage for a lot of the performances.

Exactly, for those who didn't watch it, you missed it.
Posted By: Keith from Oz Re: Horn Section on American Idol - 05/22/12 04:37 AM
Boy, judging by the photo the Salvation Army Band has changed since I was a kid.
Posted By: jford Re: Horn Section on American Idol - 05/22/12 11:34 AM
This seasons Idol brass players are HOT...

and they look good, too.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Horn Section on American Idol - 05/22/12 12:24 PM
I haven't watched this show.

It's interesting that the two saxes went lower: Ms. Abair normally plays alto, and Ms. J normally plays tenor. Here, they are tenor and bari.
Posted By: jford Re: Horn Section on American Idol - 05/22/12 02:00 PM
Hi, Matt - They switch up their instruments depending on the song.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Horn Section on American Idol - 05/22/12 03:22 PM
The horn section has had a lot of air time this season. If you google some of the AI performances you will see teh ladies in action. It has really been cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4babjH3QF8
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Horn Section on American Idol - 05/22/12 04:24 PM
I don't watch because it's not about talent anymore. It's a popularity contest. The fact that the public votes means that the hottest girl keeps getting votes. Why are those "judges" there exactly when they don't vote? Then you have atrocities like some perverse "statewide civic pride" thing where everyone in the state votes for their fellow statesmen as if it would somehow make THEIR life better of their state's kid won. (Remember the year those 2 AWFUL singing girls from Hawaii lasted a long time?)

The last day I watched that awful show was the day Daughtry got voted off the island. He may be the best singer ever on that show (I hate Carrie Underwear - media darling superstar success story) and he didn't make it. Most of those kids end up singing at car dealership openings and shopping mall Christmas shows. They sign an AWFUL contract to participate. That Hicks guy was what, 5 years ago, and his biggest accomplishment to date is a Ford commercial.

It started out a good idea. It turned into BS quickly.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Horn Section on American Idol - 05/22/12 07:45 PM
You guys are missing something here. This thread is not a endorsement for the American Idol Teen Machine, but rather pointing out the great opportunity to have seen a super band performing live. Just watch the final episodes when the band is on stage. It is not just the horn section, but the whole band, inculding strings. All Live Musicians earning their living. When is the last time you saw a 5 piece female horn section on national TV during prime time. If you missed the recent episodes, then it was a hell of a long time ago. Heck, you should see the guitar slinger they have on stage with the singers not to mention an incredible drummer.

You have one final chance tonight to see the Band in Action. Heck who cares who wins, just listen to the music, it is really good.
© PG Music Forums