PG Music Home
Posted By: PRearden The idea of perfection and us. - 05/22/12 11:49 AM
Quotes like this abound on the "Users Showcase"

Quote:

...with some real musicians, etc., this song has some real potential.

Who are we fooling here?

Doesn't nearly every song have "potential" in the hands of a Giant Media Conglomerates? "All you have to do is polish it and..."

Fame and fortune can't be why we create music. If your rationale for creation is to "Make it Big", you are going to crash and burn.

We create music because we cannot NOT make music. We share it because we want others to enjoy it.

If we drop the idea of PERFECTION that society dumps on us through the media; If we drop the AMERICAN IDOL mentality that we are good enough to be "discovered", than we can start to enjoy each others music for what it is... US.
Posted By: Mac Re: The idea of perfection and us. - 05/22/12 12:22 PM
True, Dat.

--Msc
Posted By: Skyoma Re: The idea of perfection and us. - 05/22/12 12:26 PM
Nothing wrong with aspiring for something more. Personally, it makes me hold off on releasing something over and over and over until I just love it. Thus I am sure (hopefully) the world will too.

Skyoma
Posted By: WienSam Re: The idea of perfection and us. - 05/22/12 01:06 PM
Mac is right again...

Man! Is there NOTHING you don't know, Mac?
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: The idea of perfection and us. - 05/22/12 01:16 PM
Quote:

Nothing wrong with aspiring for something more. Personally, it makes me hold off on releasing something over and over and over until I just love it. Thus I am sure (hopefully) the world will too.

Skyoma

When you say "aspiring for more". my first question is "more WHAT?" More personal satisfaction? More accolades from others? More money?

There is no perfect way to be... not in music, nor relationships nor opinions etc etc etc. Life's a big circle of possibilities. No matter where you are on the circle, there are some people in the same quadrant as you who like what you're doing, and many more people on the opposite side of the circle who hate what you're doing.

Trying to get more appreciation by changing position on the circle only changes the people who like and hate what you're doing. Therefore, it makes most sense to pursue your passion wholeheartedly, for yourself and not for others. If it sucks, at least you had fun. If it's good, the people near you on the circle will like it.

No matter WHAT you do, the people on the opposite side of the circle won't like it, so don't be discouraged by criticism. Accept the fact that criticism is a natural part of living in a world where lots of people have lots of different opinions. Their opinions speak more about themselves than about you.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: The idea of perfection and us. - 05/22/12 01:17 PM
Definition of "Potential" - you haven't done jack s4it yet....
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: The idea of perfection and us. - 05/22/12 01:41 PM
Quote:

Definition of "Potential" - you haven't done jack s4it yet....

I guess that's one definition... although there are talented AND untalented people who haven't done anything yet. In a physics sense, potential is the presence of enough energy to accomplish a specific amount of work. In a musical sense, I think of potential as the presence of enough talent to accomplish specific musical goals better than the average person.

One person might have potential enough to play in a garage band, but not enough potential to be the opening act for a hot touring band. Another might have potential as a songwriter, but not as a performer. Some have potential as a vocalist, but not as an instrumentalist.

Potential is like trust. Each is true only in certain situations, and rarely across the board.

For example, I might trust a friend with my wallet, but not with my wife.

Likewise I might trust a friend to master my CD, but not to sing on any of the tracks.
Posted By: jford Re: The idea of perfection and us. - 05/22/12 01:57 PM
Music is fun and can be enjoyed by myself or shared with others. Some will like it; others won't. Even "perfect" songs are NOT enjoyed by all.

I'll get wrapped around the "perfection axle" when paid public speakers stop saying "uhhh" in the middle of sentences or overpaid baseball players start batting 1000 or politicians keep their promises.

In the meantime, I'll have a blast making music that I love and that many of my friends and family at least tell me they love, too. And even then, if I'm the only one that seems to be enjoying it, well that's not my loss. I'll just keep it for myself.
Posted By: PRearden Perfection and Failure - 05/22/12 11:15 PM
Perfection and Failure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-eTRZv6cx4

Although this is about improv, I think it also applies to music (or any other art).
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: The idea of perfection and us. - 05/22/12 11:31 PM
Quote:

If we drop the idea of PERFECTION that society dumps on us through the media; If we drop the AMERICAN IDOL mentality that we are good enough to be "discovered", than we can start to enjoy each others music for what it is... US.

it has been my observation that most people who are actively pursuing a goal have already abandoned the perfection mindset.

Those who believe there's no point in doing something unless they can do it perfectly will never get past the woodshed stage of the game. They'll make a job out of it instead of a game, and in so doing they'll get discouraged and quit from exhaustion.

But those who PLAY at it seem to have fun... and people keep doing what's fun...and when you keep doing something you tend to get better at it. Continuously.

so, yeah, +1
© PG Music Forums