PG Music Home
Posted By: bobcflatpicker “Give Me The Banjo” - 05/26/12 03:30 AM
“Give Me The Banjo”

I just caught this show on PBS and I thought I’d give you guys a heads up in case you get a chance to watch it.

It’s a look into American music history and narrated by Steve Martin. It’s especially poignant for me because I grew up and still live in the area that is the birthplace of this music.

I hope you get a chance to watch it.

Edit: Here is the link for the full video:

http://video.pbs.org/video/2164506461

Posted By: jazaddict Re: “Give Me The Banjo” - 05/26/12 04:58 AM
Steve Martin is a pretty well studied musician. After having watched him be a goofball in all those movies I was taken aback at his skill.
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: “Give Me The Banjo” - 05/26/12 05:00 AM
Here is the link for the full video:

http://video.pbs.org/video/2164506461
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: “Give Me The Banjo” - 05/26/12 02:49 PM
Wow, Bob! I just watched the PBS video and was totally blown away. You certainly live in a musical part of the world. I would love to have you take me to meet the rural people of WV.

Q: Early in the program it said the banjo was an "African instrument" then, later, they said it was an "American instrument." Which is it?

Also, I know "hammer-ons" and "pull-offs" date back perhaps hundreds of years but I have never credited Pete Seeger with originating those terms. What had they been called prior to his book?

Anyway, thank you sincerely for giving me a fabulous, musical morning.
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: “Give Me The Banjo” - 05/26/12 06:21 PM
Don,

I thought of you when I was watching this. I knew it would be right up your alley.

Quote:

Q: Early in the program it said the banjo was an "African instrument" then, later, they said it was an "American instrument." Which is it?

From http://www.ehow.com/about_4884892_what-origin-banjo.html

“Wrongly believed by many to be an American instrument, the banjo dates back centuries with its earliest origins found in the Middle East and Africa. While it slowly evolved for centuries, it was not until enslaved Africans brought the banjo to the American colonies that it received its significant gain in popularity.”

End quote.

I think it would be safe to say that the latest stage in the evolution of the banjo into a “modern” instrument happened in America, but I’m not an expert on it. I did find the documentary fascinating.

Quote:

I know "hammer-ons" and "pull-offs" date back perhaps hundreds of years but I have never credited Pete Seeger with originating those terms. What had they been called prior to his book?

When Pete said that, it was news to me. Dunno what those techniques were called before.

I’m glad you enjoyed it Don.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: “Give Me The Banjo” - 05/27/12 01:57 AM
regarding the origins of the banjo:

Here's a link to a YouTube series called "THROW DOWN YOUR HEART", about Bela Fleck's trip to Africa. In the first of the series he states that the banjo's origin was Africa, and there is a clip of such an instrument being played.

Other clips show a variety of instruments used on the continent.

Interesting viewing if you have about an hour to watch all the clips. Each clip is about 5 minutes, and the very first one shows the banjo's predecessor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDCxaQhhL0A
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: “Give Me The Banjo” - 05/27/12 02:24 AM
Pat,

I watched several clips when you posted it before.

Here's the whole 1 hour 37 min on Hulu.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/292375/bela-fleck-throw-down-your-heart
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: “Give Me The Banjo” - 05/27/12 03:13 AM
Way koo'!
Posted By: Mac Re: “Give Me The Banjo” - 05/27/12 02:06 PM
In America before the so-called Civil War, it was forbidden for slaves to own or use drums, because of the fear involved when it was discovered that the African Drum (some of them) could be used for communication.

The Banjo is basically a drum, with a head, but has strings stretched over the head of the drum, using a bridge to transfer the string energy to the head of the drum.

Thus the Banjo became a sort of workaround to a problem.

If you think about it, something mentioned in the NPR presentation is not quite true: The Banjo as we know it is the *only* truly native American instrument.
Well, the roots of the Banjo are indeed found on the African continent.

--Mac
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: “Give Me The Banjo” - 05/27/12 02:19 PM
Quote:

America before the so-called Civil War <snip>

"CIVIL" WAR is a bit of an oxymoron, isn't it?

Good point, Mac...I never thought of it that way before
Posted By: RobbMiller Re: “Give Me The Banjo” - 05/27/12 05:14 PM
Quote:

The Banjo as we know it is the *only* truly native American instrument.

The Dobro (square-neck resonator guitar) is just as American. It evolved from the guitar in the early 20th Century, but it is an entirely different animal.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: “Give Me The Banjo” - 05/27/12 06:03 PM
Dobro is a combination of what two abbreviated words? If'in yas gotta look it up, it's cheating! I expect Mac and Bob flatpicker to know the answer. If I remember correctly, it was invented in 1929.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: “Give Me The Banjo” - 05/27/12 06:05 PM
Funny thing is we used to have a duo here that did a LOT of comedy in their act. They were guitar and dobro, but sadly the dobro player passed away. He was a GREAT guy.

They called themselves "The D'oh Bros".
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: “Give Me The Banjo” - 05/27/12 06:09 PM
Here's the answer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dobro
Posted By: RobbMiller Re: “Give Me The Banjo” - 05/27/12 07:59 PM
Quote:

Dobro is a combination of what two abbreviated words?

Actually a name and a word: Dopyera Brothers

((what did I win?))
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: “Give Me The Banjo” - 05/27/12 09:12 PM
You win a big round of applause! Take a bow. Did you cheat? You even spelt it koreck!
Posted By: RobbMiller Re: “Give Me The Banjo” - 05/27/12 09:41 PM
Quote:

You win a big round of applause! Take a bow. Did you cheat? You even spelt it koreck!

No cheating here but I am having one built for me by Tom Warner.

So it has been recently researched. It should be ready any day now.
Posted By: tomshannon2 Re: “Give Me The Banjo” - 05/27/12 10:27 PM
I believe the folks from Virginia and other southern states refer to it as "The War of Northern Aggression," not The Civil War. Just something I've heard...

Anyway, to quote a great American philosopher Edwin Starr: WAR! What is it good for...absolutely nothing...say it again!
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: “Give Me The Banjo” - 05/27/12 10:31 PM
Quote:

Anyway, to quote a great American philosopher Edwin Starr:

"I am SO glad my family moved to Cleveland Ohio so I could be raised in a great music city!!!"

I THINK that was the quote.....
Posted By: Danny C. Re: “Give Me The Banjo” - 05/28/12 03:55 PM
Thanks for posting the link, I watched the entire show last night and truly enjoyed it.

In fact this entire tread has been very educational.

Later,
Posted By: lairdbaird Re: “Give Me The Banjo” - 05/30/12 09:17 AM
Most early jazz groups including Louis Armstrong's Hot Five of the mid 1920's had a banjo in the band.
Posted By: RobbMiller Re: “Give Me The Banjo” - 06/02/12 02:55 PM
What do you say to the banjo player in the three piece suit?

Scroll down for answer

"Will the defendant please rise."
Posted By: Flatfoot Re: “Give Me The Banjo” - 06/02/12 09:45 PM
Oh dear..now you got me started...

Q: What is the difference between a banjo player and an extra-large pizza?

A: The pizza can feed a family of four.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: “Give Me The Banjo” - 06/02/12 10:41 PM
What's the best pickup to put on a banjo?

An F-150.
© PG Music Forums