PG Music Home
Posted By: Don Gaynor A FOND FAREWELL ARTHEL "DOC" WATSON AT 89 - 05/30/12 01:13 AM
I listen to Doc's Pandora station every day. I, for one, will sorely miss him. The announcement called Doc a "Folk" guitarist but I am hard pressed to limit his fabulous flat picking to any single genre. He could play anything. Perhaps Bluegrass would more closely define his music.

Doc, I will miss you!
I hadn't heard. The news brings tears to my eyes.

I've seen Doc "live" too many times to count. More times than any other musician I've followed.

He's been an inspiration to me for close to 40 years.

He was not only a d*mn fine guitar player, but a true southern gentleman as well.

I'll miss you Doc.
He was a great inspiration to me. Not that I ever came anywhere near him musically- speaking, but he kept the bar high and before many wannabe guitarists.

Thanks Doc! You will be missed.
Bob, probably the next one will be Mac Wiseman. He is a contemporary of Doc's. As far as I know Mac is still alive and still appears at Bluegrass festivals to a greatly limited degree. He is, like Doc, an institution in Americana. He was a Bluegrass tenor in Bill Monroe's Bluegrass Boys Band back in the '40s. His sweet voice is riveting. Once heard you never will forget.
Don,

I don't think you could find a single prominent flatpicker out there who wouldn't list Doc in the Top 5 influences on them. And lets not forget that he was a fine fingerpicker too.

Some of the young pups out there may have missed out on him, but it's their loss.

I heard Doc say once that he didn't like musical labels that folks put on him, but if he had to choose it would be old time country, blues and folk.

He and his son Merle, (who Doc named after Merle Travis), were both great guitarists.

I hope they're both playing their Gallagher guitars together for the Almighty.

If any of you aren't familiar with him, just go to YouTube and watch some of the vids.
Don,

Two thumbs up for Mac Wiseman.

It's truly sad to see these people go. But this is first time I've actually cried upon hearing the news of the passing of a prominent musician.
Bob, I checked Malcolm "Mac" Wiseman's bio and he just tuned 87 in May. To Bluegrass lovers he is a national treasure. His version of "I'll Be All Smiles Tonight" has always been a personal favorite of mine but the YouTube version is very poor quality from the Porter Wagner TV Show.

For those unfamiliar with Mac's sweet tenor voice, he had a major hit with "Love Letters In The Sand" in the mid to late 50s. Unfortunately, he was competing with Pat Boone's version that was released about the same time. That was a bad mistake on the part of Mac's record label, me thinks. Pat was at the peak of his popularity.
© PG Music Forums