PG Music Home
Posted By: Rob4580 Taxi - 06/09/12 10:18 PM
Any one had any experiance with Taxi.

Ive looked at them a few times over the years.
The large outlay up front puts me off.

Taxi
Posted By: Ian Fraser Re: Taxi - 06/09/12 11:00 PM
Hi Rob

I am a current member - they're legit.
You're right on about the initial membership outlay. But if you renew each year there is a discount.

Any questions as a songwriter I can answer?
Have I been forwarded? Not yet
Have I been critiqued for using RTs and Midi - no.
Have the critiques been legit? I certainly have used some of the recommendations.

Would you be interested in reading Taxi critiques to one or two of my songs?
Maybe I can set something up for tomorrow for everyone.

As you asked:
Quote:

Any one had any experience with Taxi.

How can I help?
Cheers - Ian
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: Taxi - 06/09/12 11:12 PM
Hey Ian.
I would be very interested in in any information or advice you can offer.

I have been writing for years and written over three hundred songs.
Some good and some ,well you know.

Ive always wanted to be a song writer and not really interested in the fame side.
Id love to write for other artist.

Thought Taxi may be the thing.
Their fees would certainly add up to a lot of rum I wouldnt be able to drink

Thanks again Ian much appreciated.
Posted By: Ian Fraser Re: Taxi - 06/09/12 11:51 PM
Rob

Like you, I really only want to place a song in Film or with an artist.
So to get me going, I asked myself some questions.

I asked my self "can I collect all of the Industry listings which Taxi sends out
to their members a couple of times a month?" NO

Do I even have a hope of making Industry contacts myself? Realistically even a fraction? . . . NO

Do I produce a reasonably good production to send in? According to critiques - YES

Are the songs doing any good just playing back on my computer? NO

Am I worried about copyright theft? OF COURSE. But not enough to not move ahead!

Do I believe in some of my songs? - YES

Is there another alternative like Taxi? NOT THAT I KNOW.

Is there any better time to do this? NOT AT THE AGE OF 64! The time is now!

So Rob those are the questions I asked myself . . . and then joined for a year at a time.
But I still am not making the best use of submitting songs to related Industry requests.

I'll set a separate post on my Sunday and post a song or two with the Taxi critiques
and the "before" and "after" versions of the song with the Taxi comments.

Cheers - Ian
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Taxi - 06/10/12 12:07 AM
I have never been a member, but I have looked at the pitch listings quite an bit and the forums. Taxi is a very targeted pitch. When you submit a song for an opportunity it had better be perfect for the listing and be "A+" professional work. If you don't have top notch recordings, then you are wasting your money (unless you are "investing" to help up your overall game -- which some folks do and they do get better).

It seems like it is more geared towards TV/Film/advertising stuff. Are you really going to get a pitch to the next Kenny Chesney or Lady GaGa? I really doubt it, that stuff is pretty much closed up to the outsiders (when you figure that artist has an established circle of friends, producers, team members, they just don't need outside songs). By the way, YOU can become an insider since everyone starts off as an outsider.
Posted By: Ian Fraser Re: Taxi - 06/10/12 12:43 AM
Kevin:

And that is the main point. You had better be spot on to the listing.

Also note that what you submit to be a potential artist had best be a cut above, what you need
to be a song provider or (if you've ever heard some of the tracks for HOUSE on Youtube) a cut above spots for TV and Film. As for advertising . . . . you'd best have the best of the best in equipment.

Still I can hum and haw about all of these things, but if I'm not being proactive . . . nothing changes, and I sit wishfully thinking, but learning zilch.

You don't have any fun and you just remain a legend in your mind as the song goes.

Kevin I'm not leveling this minor tirade at you. You give some good advice and perspective on songwriting.
But I see a lot of nay-saying on this forum. Yes - there are always negative reasons for not doing something - and I've been on that side.
If anyone out there has ever had ONE dream of placing a song, then they should be being proactive. Since the Industry rarely takes unsolicited songs from unknowns, then you might as well have an agent like Taxi to open whatever doors they can - doors that your average songwriter can't locate, nor has the time to track down.

See ya later - Ian
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Taxi - 06/10/12 12:52 AM
Quote:

...Kevin I'm not leveling this minor tirade at you...

That was a tirade?? You need some work on that (ha, ha).

I know a few people who joined taxi just to submit and see where they were in the grand scheme of thing and then worked to get better. I am not against Taxi at all, it is legit and a useful tool (they get the jpfolks.com's highest recommendation!). My production/recording skills just are not high enough to compete in that area, so I didn't join.

I agree with you on just doing it. I am going to finish two CD's this summer and put them on bandcamp/CD-Baby. I don't really expect to see any sales, but at least I will make that attempt to get into the game.

Kevin
Posted By: MarioD Re: Taxi - 06/10/12 01:04 AM
You may want to look into BroadJam: http://www.broadjam.com/

They have contest for different genres of music.
Posted By: Ian Fraser Re: Taxi - 06/10/12 01:18 AM
Kevin - at the risk of hijacking Rob's post
Quote:

That was a tirade?? You need some work on that (ha, ha).

Ha, ha - yeh . . . .I'm really a pretty good-natured guy. Raised 6 kids - learned a lot about control.

Good luck with your CD plans - sounds interesting - I know you've got the songs.

Ian
Posted By: Sundance Re: Taxi - 06/10/12 03:32 AM
Watch Taxi TV on ustream. It's been on a couple of years or more now. There are lots of archived videos from the weekly show. Some shows are critique shows with songs sent in by the members. Other shows have industry guests. Enlightening to say the least. Click on all to see the whole list. Great resource for members - those thinking of becoming members - and other inquiring minds.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/music-marketing-online
© PG Music Forums