PG Music Home
Posted By: Joe Gordon I love the "Rollini Style" Bass Sax! - 10/13/12 02:54 PM
Thought I'd share this with any 'like minded traddies!' But I think it's a good listen for anyone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_K0QG8vF...2A42757ADEBDD34
Regards, Joe G.
Posted By: Mac Re: I love the "Rollini Style" Bass Sax! - 10/13/12 03:09 PM
"Bari Sax" -- As in "Baritone Sax"

Now you have me wondering if this is yet another difference in language usage across the pond or the likes?

Anyway, I love the thing that the Bari can bring to a performance, matter of fact I don't thnk a sax section is complete without one.

A great Bari plsyer can provide the bass "animation" that keeps the interest in the performance moving. Well, the old Trombone players who inserted "Tailgating" into the idiom provided that also.

Enjoy,

--Mac
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: I love the "Rollini Style" Bass Sax! - 10/13/12 03:13 PM
Great stuff, Joe! You are broadening my musical horizons, thank you, my friend.
Posted By: Joe Gordon Re: I love the "Rollini Style" Bass Sax! - 10/13/12 03:40 PM
Sorry Mac! I assumed it WAS a Bass Sax that was playing ,.........as Adrian Rollini did with Bix & others ........I was not thinking it could be a Baritone! Regards, Joe G.
Edit. Just checked info it says 'Vince Giordano, bass sax' ??
Posted By: jazzband Re: I love the "Rollini Style" Bass Sax! - 10/13/12 04:02 PM
Hi Joe

that is a bass sax playing its says so in the writeing underneath the video screen,that is my all time fantasy to playbass sax in a bix type band i got most of rollinis recordings nothing else like it,hope your well Joe,im still struggling but i will get there 9in the end good luck

regards Dave
Posted By: raymb1 Re: I love the "Rollini Style" Bass Sax! - 10/13/12 04:09 PM
Looks like a bass sax to me. Was there ever a bass sax made that was in-between a bari and a bass sax? It looks a little smaller than a full sized bass sax. Later, Ray
Posted By: seeker Re: I love the "Rollini Style" Bass Sax! - 10/13/12 04:25 PM
Joe,

Your right!
Quote:

But I think it's a good listen for anyone!

Really enjoyed their performance. I grew up in Buffalo City, WI.
The semi-weekly dance's in rural area's is part of the life there.

Thanks for the Heads up.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: I love the "Rollini Style" Bass Sax! - 10/13/12 04:29 PM
A bass sax is so big it has to sit in a stand, so if the player is wearing it, it is a bari. I play bari and THAT is heavy enough!!!!

Here you go.

[/URL]
Posted By: Mac Re: I love the "Rollini Style" Bass Sax! - 10/13/12 05:36 PM
Now, THAT picture is of the true Bass Sax!

one of the reasons the Bass Sax is not so prolific is the sheer cost of the instrument.

Would make a guitar collector blush...

--Mac
Posted By: Joe Gordon Re: I love the "Rollini Style" Bass Sax! - 10/13/12 05:40 PM
eddie hi. I'm REALLY confused now!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiN42zQQlCw&feature=watch_response
Joe G
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: I love the "Rollini Style" Bass Sax! - 10/13/12 05:49 PM
There are different "voices". Contrabass, bass..... the photo I posted was a contrabass. If you want a new one, be prepared to sell your house to get it. I am seeing bass saxes selling for over $20,000. The contrabass I can't even find online.
Posted By: raymb1 Re: I love the "Rollini Style" Bass Sax! - 10/13/12 09:05 PM
https://www.google.com/search?q=bass+sax...196&bih=605

Here's a lot of pics of bass saxes. There are indeed different sizes. Later, Ray
Posted By: Joe Gordon Re: I love the "Rollini Style" Bass Sax! - 10/13/12 10:57 PM
Hey! I just wanted people to LISTEN to the music!! Joe G.
Posted By: Dan Tong Re: I love the "Rollini Style" Bass Sax! - 10/14/12 11:49 PM
Cheap(er) Bass Sax alternative is to get the Garritan JABB soft synth package and play either on keyboard or a wind controller. Not the real thing, but possibly, the next best thing.

Some, claim even, with keyboard, and laptop, it is still more portable!
Posted By: shelly Re: I love the "Rollini Style" Bass Sax! - 10/15/12 01:15 PM
great stuff... thanks for share
© PG Music Forums