PG Music Home
Posted By: Keith from Oz A Musical Theory Question - 12/03/12 10:19 AM
(Sorry guys, I didn't learn music theory).

I understand that if a song is in a "sharp" key signature (G,D,A,E etc) you should use a sharp #, and if in a flat signature (F, Bb, Eb etc) you should use a flat (b) for "the black notes."

However what is correct when in the key of C?. All sharps, all flats, or a mixture?

My question stems from a recent printout from BIAB2012.5 (key of C) and there is a combination of sharps & flats, sometimes in the same bar. I know this was a BIAB issue some time ago, but I thought it had been fixed.

All help appreciated.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: A Musical Theory Question - 12/03/12 11:57 AM
Hi Keith,

Different books will tell you different things. I tend to favour the approach that if the notes are ascending, it's sharps and if the notes are descending, it's flats. Doing it this way often acts to minimise the accidentals and so make reading a little easier.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: jford Re: A Musical Theory Question - 12/03/12 12:04 PM
I learned what Noel said, but also keep in mind the context of the chords being used. So if you, for example have a diminished chord, then you would expect to see flats, since dim chords flat the 3rd and 5th. Augmented chords sharp the 5th, so you would expect to see a sharp. Likewise for minor, where the 3rd is flatted. But generally passing tones in the melody or harmony would use sharps when ascending and flats descending.
Posted By: MarioD Re: A Musical Theory Question - 12/03/12 02:48 PM
I learned exactly what John said.
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: A Musical Theory Question - 12/03/12 03:00 PM
I was taught that way, too.

But I also take into consideration the context of the note with it's neighbors. If writing a short chromatic run from Bb to C in the key of C or Am, I think it's easier to read A# B C rather than flatting the first B and then putting a natural in front of the other B. Other similar instances occur. Keep in mind this is personal preference.

To me the music chart is a roadmap to the tune, and my objective is to make it easy for the person reading it to sight-read. If doing something unconventional makes it easier to sightread, I'll do it.

Not that it is necessary to be a good sight-reader, but if the music is easy to sightread for those who do, it will be easier for everybody who reads music.

Insights and incites by Notes
Posted By: Mac Re: A Musical Theory Question - 12/03/12 03:35 PM
Quote:

My question stems from a recent printout from BIAB2012.5 (key of C) and there is a combination of sharps & flats, sometimes in the same bar. I know this was a BIAB issue some time ago, but I thought it had been fixed.

All help appreciated.

BB likes to ascribe the sign that tends to go with the entered chord above the notes, so it could be either.

This is actually a good way of thinking for the aspiring improvisational soloist, not having to think of the same note as a flat at one point and a sharp at another.

The oonvention, however, at least in manually written faskecharts and such, has already been described by others above.

--Mac
Posted By: Keith from Oz Re: A Musical Theory Question - 12/04/12 02:53 AM
This forum is amazing. Thank you guys, I now have a better understanding.
I don't read music very well, but I'm trying to practise & improve.
But things like this (see below) really confuse me.

Take a look at bar 27. I guess it's D7b9.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: A Musical Theory Question - 12/04/12 03:25 AM
Might be, but it's fine as-is (continuing the D7 through bar 27), where the Eb is just a passing tone.

This whole 5-measure line is still easy to read with the accidentals mixed. The Eb follows the rule above that you avoid sharp and natural signs around the D, which would make it cluttered.

I'm more intrigued why there is a reminder accidental for the E natural in bar 29, and even for the F natural in bar 30. These aren't needed, although I don't mind the one in bar 30 as much because of the F# ending the prior bar.
Posted By: Keith from Oz Re: A Musical Theory Question - 12/04/12 03:34 AM
Hi Matt,
Thanks for you observations. FYI, this is not a downloaded MIDI file - I actually played it and recorded it onto the Solo track. So the "musical grammar" was created by BIAB.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: A Musical Theory Question - 12/04/12 03:49 AM
Oh yes, I figured.
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: A Musical Theory Question - 12/04/12 05:47 AM
It looks like the reminders are the first instance of the non-modified notes being played after their previous modifications. The e natural in bar 30 isn't reminded nor is the f sharp. I'm so out of practice sight reading that I probably have no rights to even go here, but this seems 'natural' to me. Isn't this the way that altered notes are 'righted' in the same line of a chart and once 'righted' no need to remind again?
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: A Musical Theory Question - 12/04/12 05:53 AM
It goes not by lines but by measures. A new measure cancels the accidentals. That's why the reminder in bar #30 is acceptable if not technically required, but the Eb in 27 is too far away for a reminder in 29.
Posted By: Keith from Oz Re: A Musical Theory Question - 12/04/12 05:59 AM
Hi Scott,
It was my understanding that once you start a new bar, (as opposed to a new line) the previously sharpened or flattened notes retain their original status. i.e natural in C.

I'm sure the more knowledgeable will jump in and confirm or correct me.
Edit: Quick draw Matt beat me!
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: A Musical Theory Question - 12/04/12 01:04 PM
I'd put the Ebs in 26 and 27 to avoid the D# D natural clutter. The E natural reminder in bar 29 isn't necessary, but certainly not objectionable. The natural reminders in 27 and 30 are helpful.

I don't see these measures as a problem. With my keyboard skills, it would take a bit of practice to get it under my fingers, but I'd have no problem reading it. If I were transcribing it, I'd probably do it the same way with the exception of the E natural in 29, and if I tended to play the Eb anyway (fingers remember these things), I'd add it.

Notes
© PG Music Forums