PG Music Home
I've gotten the impression that I'm one of the younger members, when compared to the most active posters...and I'm no spring chicken (at 46).

Just curious - is my assumption correct ?
Why not more 'regulars' that are in their teens, 20's, and 30's ? - or are there ?
I obviously don't know everyones age on here, but my guess would be that you'd be hard pressed to find anyone under 40, ... possibly hard to find many under 50.
Quote:

Why not more 'regulars' that are in their teens, 20's, and 30's ? - or are there ?

Now that is an interesting question which likely could use its own thread!
Year ago I still was in the category under 40...
Let's look for the youngest poster that views this thread - so far it's Mike !!!
I recall rharv (Bob) may be in your general age bracket. Many of us are over 60.

Jazzmandan has an interesting take on the question, that it deserves a separate thread. I suspect there could be comments about the GUI being a deterrent to someone younger who doesn't yet realize what the program can do. As a 20-year user, I'm not qualified to guess what someone's first impression might be.

Also, if you click on the User List above, and sort by number of posts, you will see there are far more registered users of the forum than active posters. And that's not counting those who do not register but can still read posts.
I know a guy who is 21. Does that count?
I'll be 72 in March and me wee Oyrish Dad said that if I didn't change me wee Oyrish ways that I'd never see 30! I guess I'm on borrowed time. I know several "regulars" who are older than I but they may not want that information to be common knowledge.

I have often wondered why we don't see more young folks posting to the forums but I assume that they are lurking.
55 here.... and proud of it.. LOL
Quote:

And that's not counting those who do not register but can still read posts.

I learned to read by reading posts: wooden horse hitch posts, fence posts, ...
Quote:

I've gotten the impression that I'm one of the younger members, when compared to the most active posters...and I'm no spring chicken (at 46).

46 uh? No spring chicken, duh. Well enjoy it Sparky as you are just approaching the crest of the hill, so very soon it will be ALL OVER! In a couple of years you will have a prostate the size of a small water melon, get up to go to the bathroom at least 5 times per night . . . then there are those times you will forget to get up to go to the bathroom. I.e., you'll go 5 times but only get up 4 times, get the picture sonny?

Just kidding Joe, as like many other seniors here on the forum I am enjoying life (just turned 70) as much or maybe even more than I did when I was in my twenty's. Playing nearly 100 gigs a year and still have a few groupies. However I must admit the caliber of groupie has changed quite a bit from back then. In fact we don't rate them on a 1 – 10 scale anymore we use life expectancy instead.

PS: On a more serious note, back when I was a teenager I could only dream of getting the musical advice that can be attained on this forum (FREE) on a daily basis from the so called old timer membership. God bless them all for their availability and willingness to help no matter how complex or mundane the task.

Happy New Year!
I am a few past mid point, and never thought I would make it this far!
I got invited to a high school reunion..... I must have gone to the wrong place - it was full of old people.
I have a son almost your age JoeV!
I have/had older parents, and I think I have the mentality of a person greater in (mental) years than my phsyical years. So that may be one reason I enjoy this site so much. But there are a few more reasons the regulars keep me here:
1.) you guys are a generous, helping bunch, with a sense of humor
2.) you guys are really knowledgeable about music, technology, and performance, and I learn really a lot
3.) you share your 'inner' feelings about each other the way a family would - though I must say I think we've analyzed the Eddie situation adequately at this point
4.) I could be like you guys as I get a little older - you're great role models that prove extra years don't have to mean losing touch with technology and my passion for music and tehcnology
5.) I discover lots of new things of interest to me that go outside the targeted forum topic -
loved DubStep
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXO-jKksQkM

on the point of dubstep, regarding more recent music - what'd you guys think of Gangim Style (this one deserves another thread, I think) ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYPvAMrMzwI
I'm 56 this year but my mind's still in it's 20s. My view is that it's down to music. The constant co-ordination required all helps to keep the mind sharp
Quote:

...I think I have the mentality of a person greater in (mental) years than my phsyical years....

I have always found that to be the case as well. When a youngster, I often found more fun hanging out around people that most would consider to be an older group, too old for the youngster to be interested.

For example, when around the preteen years, musically I found that college level musicians and music students and I had more in common conversationally than I could find from the many friends I had that were my own age.

Most of my friends and aquaintences from within my age group would only listen to the pop and rock offerings that were targeting their age group, for instance. While I dug that music, certainly, I also was into the Classical, the Jazz, Modern Jazz and Bebop, Bluegrass and Country Swing stuff, Religious Musics, Black Gospel, Southern Gospel, etc. even today I don't like traveling long distance on the highways of this great nation and having to put up with others in the car or truck that don't like my habit of punching the
Search button on the FM radio and discovering different things. But more than about an hour of any one genre is what drives me nutzoid. Well, more nutzoid.

Then there was the Ham Radio situation, I was the kid with the horn-rimmed glasses that loved to hang out with old retired guys who could afford Collins equipment and towers with yagis and rotators outside the home... "NOW we're havin' fun!"

--Mac
Correct me if I'm wrong (I know Mac will), but were not the greatest composers, the so called "masters" mostly up in years? I think Mozart was in his 20s but he was, by far, the exception. That's a thrill of music...one need never retire from making beautiful music. In fact, we can continue to grow and improve in music until physical impairments begin to limit us.

I'm nearing 72, chronologically, but I still feel that I have something to add to the overall mix. Admittedly, I don't learn as fast or retain as much as I once did but music seems to be indelibly implanted in my heart and mind. I must re-read the BIAB instructions each and every time I use the program.

Like Mac, I was always most comfortable among the "older folks" who I always found to be more mentally stimulating than my peers who were content with simply "hangin' out".

If longevity depends upon mental exercise then I expect to be around awhile yet but, unfortunately, the "physical" person that we are begins to shut down in spite of our best intentions. Some experts say the dying process begins at birth and at about twenty-one we are on the downhill slide.

Moral: Apply Dr. Gannon's sage (or parsley) advice: "Have fun!"
© PG Music Forums