PG Music Home
Posted By: RobbMiller My DAW Desk - 01/13/13 11:46 PM
I recently finished building a desk for my DAW. I thought I'd share a few pics.

Top down view:

Eye level view:

My associate producer since 1984:
Posted By: ROG Re: My DAW Desk - 01/13/13 11:54 PM
Very impressive.

Not a cable in sight!

ROG.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: My DAW Desk - 01/13/13 11:58 PM
Quote:

Very impressive.

Not a cable in sight!

ROG.

if that's the criterion for an impressive studio (no cables in sight) then...
note to self: NEVER post a photo of the studio!
Posted By: Danny C. Re: My DAW Desk - 01/13/13 11:58 PM
Quote:

Very impressive.

Not a cable in sight!

ROG.

1st thing I noticed!

Later,
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: My DAW Desk - 01/14/13 12:00 AM
Way cool Robb!
Posted By: Sundance Re: My DAW Desk - 01/14/13 01:13 AM
Wow Robb, now that's mighty nice.
Posted By: yjoh Re: My DAW Desk - 01/14/13 02:07 AM
Love the wood. Beautiful!

Only one thing I'd change just for me that is), I'd put my keyboard on the other side. Being right handed it would then be easier to swing to my right to use the mouse.

A really nice space to work in.
Posted By: MarioD Re: My DAW Desk - 01/14/13 02:14 AM
Extremely nice!

How do you keep it so neat?
Posted By: Mac Re: My DAW Desk - 01/14/13 03:20 AM
Great woodworking skilz, man.

Good on ya.

Now MESS IT UP so's ya can work in there.

If you need help along those lines, I'm an expert at making a mess and could arrange to be available.

--Mac
Posted By: John Conley Re: My DAW Desk - 01/14/13 03:39 AM
Yup no cables. We was funned. I can't get rid of them. Stupid cables.

And someone please tell me why you can't see at arms length what side is up, and what side is left?

USB, a moron thought that up. Well one end on one style is almost ok.

Even the network cable on my computer needs a pair of glasses with built in lights to figure it out.

Colours and sizes, hey let's make that blade 1/20th of an inch slimmer so it's obvious! Nice one.

I think they laugh at us afterwards.

It's like the cars I've bought. You open the car to get out the ice scraper and 8 inches of snow falls on the seat and inside the door's electronics. It was designed to do that. And to shoot the washer fluid on the car 4 back on the highway, as your money goes on someone else's car.

Engineers. I think they have conventions with pocket protectors and videos of how they messed up our lives and laugh while drinking ginger ale in strip clubs where they try and figure out how bra hooks work. Another good one. One year they moved them to the front so those divorced guys could feel stupid after those years of learning how to do it with one hand in the dark balancing a beer in your teeth. In the back seat of a corvette. Wait, a Pony.

Posted By: JohnJohnJohn Re: My DAW Desk - 01/14/13 04:17 AM
everyone is excited by how clean and neat. bah! I'm curious about what sort of acoustic treatment you did on the room! how does it sound?
Posted By: RobbMiller Re: My DAW Desk - 01/14/13 04:18 AM
Thanks for the kudos.

The hidden wires were the first design consideration. I still have 4 children at home under 8 (and a 17YO too the oldest (23) is married and has made me a grandpa).

As for the neatness, I always pick up my playthings and so... My wife says that does not quite match the whole creative thing (I'm a contradiction). She's grateful though.

@Mac: anytime.
Posted By: RobbMiller Re: My DAW Desk - 01/14/13 04:40 AM
@JohnJohnJohn:

Acoustic treatment? I sometimes send my kids out of the room while I'm recording. That's about as good as it gets.

My Shure SM7B provides great noise rejection.

The immense quantity of shelved books in the room act a bass trap. The wood provides good warmth. It is a long, long way from perfect. Considering this is one small corner of our Everything Room, I'm satisfied with the results.

Listen to the Christmas video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21EycwXMyWw

It was recorded in the space. Most of it with the SM7B. My wife's vocal was recorded with an MXL condenser (about 2:30).
Posted By: Curmudgeon Re: My DAW Desk - 01/14/13 04:49 AM
Wow!

Don S.
Posted By: JohnJohnJohn Re: My DAW Desk - 01/14/13 05:46 AM
Quote:

Acoustic treatment? I sometimes send my kids out of the room while I'm recording. That's about as good as it gets.

I know what you mean!!!

Quote:

Listen to the Christmas video

Wow! Very nicely done! What a sweet family video!
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: My DAW Desk - 01/14/13 06:43 AM
Nice,looks like it is very efficient. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Mac Re: My DAW Desk - 01/14/13 05:49 PM
Quote:

...The immense quantity of shelved books in the room act a bass trap. The wood provides good warmth. It is a long, long way from perfect. Considering this is one small corner of our Everything Room, I'm satisfied with the results...

I like the way this man thinks. Bookshelves, with books on them, holes with no books here and there, are my practical Helmholz Filters too. Besides, I love reading and I love books. The practical aspects of wooden bookshelves to break up sound reflections in the recording room are just a plus.

A big soft couch. Uh-huh. Wives mind gobos, but don't mind couches. Pull it out from the wall a few feet to create your own custom Bass Trap within the area between the back of couch and wall. Try pulling it out on a slant, too, actually tuning the space to cover more than one or two frequencies. Be careful, though, I'm guilty of forgetting to push it back up against the wall when I'm thru playing in the home studio and the wife, well, you know.

The basic Rule of Thumb for walls, ceiling and floor, acoustically speaking, is equal amounts of hard and soft within the area of all six surfaces. A rug placed and centered on the floor, area of said rug picked to correspond to one half the area of the total floor or thereabouts, centered, with the hard floor surfaces surrounding it like a border, is good enough floor treatment. Walls can be handled the same way, consider hanging a tapestry centered on the wall opposite bookshelves. Creativity is the way to handle these situations without resorting to attempts to install a lookalike pro recording studio in the home environment.

And that all wood recording station will deliver the warm reflectivity of wood, along with those nooks and crannies also serving as Helmholz filters as well.

--Mac
Posted By: MikeK Re: My DAW Desk - 01/14/13 06:30 PM
Really nice, Rob!!! I think you inspired me to start designing my version.... looks great!!!!

Cheers,
Mike
Posted By: MountainSide Re: My DAW Desk - 01/14/13 08:25 PM
That is nice Rob!! Well thought out and a really nice job on the woodworking too!
© PG Music Forums