PG Music Home
I seems the I recall that some posters use a Linux system (Ubuntu etc) on their computers.
Was wondering if they also used the same when using BIAB/RB or other music programs and DAWS or whether they had a separate computer for that.
Wondered how well they worked, if at all.
Carkins
I use Linux for Internet and dedicated, three, Windows computers for music.
I've spent far to much time fiddling to make computer stuff work, and I finally settled on Ubuntu because it "just worked".

Music applications (BiaB, Reaper, GPO) pretty much forced me back to Windows. I suspect that I could have fiddled with stuff and gotten things to work, but there's no joy in that. I've got enough trouble getting things working even under the best conditions.

I've still got the dual boot option on my machine that I use on occasion, when a Linux app works better than a Windows one.

My girls switched from Ubuntu to Windows last month so they could play Minecraft. On the other hand, my oldest son installed it as a dual-boot option when the TCP/IP stack in Windows mysteriously failed. (He finally got to repairing it the other night).
Saw some videos where the program "Wine" when installed in Linux Ubuntu will let you run Windows programs such as Photoshop.
Wonder if this would work with BIAB/RB?
I never had luck with Wine but that was years ago.Once you install Wine on a Linux box you might as well be using Windows from a safety stand point.
When recording Audio, WINE and soundcard drivers are often the (rather huge) bottleneck.

There are some Linux recordists out there, though, using programs written for Linux, of which there apparently aren't a whole lot. One of them used to lurk and post on this forum, haven't heard from him of late, though.

One thing is apparent, though, and that is simple enough to state while hard for some to wrap around -- If you are thinking of going Linux because it might make Home Recording an easier game for you, it is not likely to be the case. The only differences I could find when delving into the experience are that terminologies and such differ from OS to OS, that can be said for the Mac environment as well. The only thing switching platforms ever did for me was to insert a new bottleneck in the way of learning curve, the shakedown of system, having to learn how to do something all over again because things are in a different place or called a different term.

No matter whose computer, no matter whose OS, no matter whose softwares, the bottom line is we are using machines to do a job for which they were not really designed to do. Home Recordists and Music Makers still make up only a fractional percentage of the computer users out there in the world and as such we either conform to the norm as it is or don't get anything done at all.

--Mac
© PG Music Forums