PG Music Home
Posted By: lkmuller This is a great listen......... - 01/23/13 03:48 AM
Had to share. This guy is in. the. pocket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW08Rc802MQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Posted By: Danny C. Re: This is a great listen......... - 01/23/13 04:00 AM
You are correct sir . . . this cat can wail!

later,
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: This is a great listen......... - 01/23/13 04:27 AM
My toes are still a tappin'!

Good one.
Posted By: seeker Re: This is a great listen......... - 01/23/13 05:47 AM
Really enjoyed that.
Was not even aware it was 12 string until
reading comments.

As mentioned about great music.

Thank you.
Posted By: MarioD Re: This is a great listen......... - 01/23/13 01:55 PM
Quote:

You are correct sir . . . this cat can wail!

later,

Yes he can!

thanx for sharing.
Posted By: raymb1 Re: This is a great listen......... - 01/23/13 05:24 PM
Good stuff!!
Posted By: Mac Re: This is a great listen......... - 01/23/13 06:16 PM
The great Robert Johnson song.

Mr. Johnson performed it using a jacknife for a slide.

And very likely using Sebastopol tuning.

This performance just about nails the original feel and intent, Strong Performance.

That backbeaat steady hittin'...

I knew that if Brudda Lee liked it, it would be good.

--Mac
Posted By: MountainSide Re: This is a great listen......... - 01/24/13 12:59 PM
Didn't know there was such a thing as a 12 string resonator! But he can really play that thing! Don't know too much about these things...is that thing on his left finger called a slide or a bottleneck...have heard folks refer to both.
Posted By: Flatfoot Re: This is a great listen......... - 01/25/13 01:22 AM
You can use almost any hard, smooth object for a guitar slide. I used to use a 1-inch ball bearing. and some other things.

A bottleneck is, typically, the top inch or so of a Budweiser Longneck bottle. It slips over your little finger and leaves the other 3 fingers free for conventional fretting.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: This is a great listen......... - 01/25/13 01:52 AM
Quote:

Didn't know there was such a thing as a 12 string resonator! But he can really play that thing! Don't know too much about these things...is that thing on his left finger called a slide or a bottleneck...have heard folks refer to both.

Great find, Lee. I hadn't seen a 12-string Dobro before either. Perfectly logical, just hadn't seen one.

(I think that Dobro has now gained acceptance as a synonym for all Resonator guitars).
Posted By: Mac Re: This is a great listen......... - 01/25/13 03:24 AM
I don't know when they started, but Dobro brand on 12 string resonator guitar is something I've had pass thru my guitar tradin' price boostin' hands from time to time.

I'm not the guy sellin' this'un, but a quick websearch for "12 string resonator" brought this one up on Bing as the third entry:

http://www.vintageandrare.com/product/Dobro-12-String-Resonator-21510

I don't play 'em, well I don't play ANY 12 string guitar of any type these days, but my eyes are always open when out and about, never know what'll be in somebody's garage sale y'know.

Heck, could probably write a book about the finds. The headstock sticking up out of a plastic trash barrel at a garage sale that made me pull a U turn on a double highway, tried to act all cool, looked at other items on the tables, and then, "how much y'askin' fer that old geetar over there?" and thirty five bucks later it was in the trunk and on its way to an owner capable of appreciatin' it.

Those kind of deals are still out there, though getting to be fewer and farther between. Keep yer head on a swivel out there, I say.

(Before someone takes this all wrong, there have indeed been times when someone had something that was worth *real* money, like that nice old lady who was trying to sell her son's tobacco sunburst Les Paul Junior. Still like new, in case, with factory strap, picks, the Mel Bay Gibson book and the original sales receipt - and ebony fingerboard no less. "My son bought this when he came home on leave and then when he got killed in Vietnam, well its been in his bedroom ever since." -- I made some phone calls, took some digital pics, a day later it was on its way to a collector and I handed that lady a check that was not small and it was something that she said was really needed at the time. I told her that I knew that because she was trying to sell her son's guitar.) That one was a piece of frozen history.

--Mac
Posted By: Danny C. Re: This is a great listen......... - 01/25/13 03:48 AM
Lee,

Thank you so much for posting this, as this was just the motivation I needed to do an arrangement on Shake Your Money Maker.

I can't wait to christen it at tomorrow's gig.

later,
Posted By: lkmuller Re: This is a great listen......... - 01/25/13 05:41 AM
Quote:

Lee,

Thank you so much for posting this, as this was just the motivation I needed to do an arrangement on Shake Your Money Maker.

I can't wait to christen it at tomorrow's gig.

later,

Right on. Have a good one.
© PG Music Forums