PG Music Home
Posted By: Don Gaynor FreeCorder alternative? - 01/29/13 03:21 PM
Freecorder doesn't work with Firefox 14 or above. What do you folks use for recording streaming audio, etc? Freecorded worked as a plugin with FF. Almost transparently.
Posted By: Mac Re: FreeCorder alternative? - 01/29/13 03:49 PM
Audacity is what I've always used. Just a matter of setting the Input to "Stereo Wav" to record whatever's streaming in realtime.

And, it has such good Effects for finishing up, for example, the Gain Change effect is great for making a final pass on stuff recorded from the web. Lots of web audio is recorded too hot, I find that setting the Input to record a bit lower than the magic -6 dB point on the Audacity meters, then when recorded, hit ctrl-A to select the entire track, go to Effects and choose the GainChange plugin, one slider to bring it up to maybe -1dB from full scale or so can actually improve the situation sonically quite a bit.

Audacity also always opens the meta data screen, you can imbed Artist, Album and other info there when you Export to mp3 or wav or whatever.

--Mac
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: FreeCorder alternative? - 01/29/13 04:04 PM
Thanks, O'Mac! I'll give'er a shot. As always, you d'man!

Got new batch of CNA students today so I'm off to terrorize 'em! Chuckle, snicker.
Posted By: Mac Re: FreeCorder alternative? - 01/29/13 05:34 PM
If ya'll need some more of those Elevator Passes, lemme know, just printed up a new batch...

Same price as before,

--Mac
Posted By: Noel96 Re: FreeCorder alternative? - 01/29/13 05:51 PM
Don,

I've been using Freecorder with Firefox for a long time. I'm currently on Firefox 18 and I just tried recording some audio using Freecorder. It worked fine. Also, a new version of Frecorder was released recently. It might pay to try that one out.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: FreeCorder alternative? - 01/29/13 07:41 PM
Quote:

Don,

I've been using Freecorder with Firefox for a long time. I'm currently on Firefox 18 and I just tried recording some audio using Freecorder. It worked fine. Also, a new version of Frecorder was released recently. It might pay to try that one out.

Regards,
Noel

Noel,

I think it has to do with Freecorder 7. At least that's where my trouble started. I tried to rollback to v4, no joy. Emailed Freecorder support and tried their suggestions, no help. I think, in an effort to get rid of me, they said it was incompatible. Cowards! I found "SoundTap" but I think its a timed trial version. Plus, NCH Software wants to load a lot of extra junk.

I think I'll try a complete uninstall/reinstall of v4. It had worked flawlessly for many months.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: FreeCorder alternative? - 01/29/13 10:47 PM
Further discovery: Dadgum Freecorder works perfectly in IE. Didn't try it in Chrome yet.

Noel, what version of Windows are you running?

Bad reviews on the web. Problems uninstalling, etc.

Tools>Addons locks up, etc.
© PG Music Forums