PG Music Home
Posted By: Paul Haynes PA Suggestions That Do BIAB Justice? - 01/29/13 11:04 PM
I've been asked to play my acoustic guitar with a friend who sings gospels songs at some nursing homes. I'm guessing the amount of people we would sing to would be between 12-20 people? I always like to bring a good sound to the mix and from that have bought BIAB of which I am very pleased. However, I've started to consider what speaker system I would need to be able to plug in my guiar, mic and iPod [BIAB backing tracks]? I don't have a big budget and dont want to get sucked into buying a full on PA which is overkill. I own an AER Acousticube which is a very good acoustic guitar and mic but not so good reproducing smooth low end bass notes from BIAB. Thing is I've been spoiled with my computer speaker system 2x B&W speakers + Rel Sub. The sound really rocks with the sub so I'm looking for a portable speaker system that can reproduce the nice low end bass notes that I've come to enjoy from my computer. Good bass makes all the difference I believe.

I've seen these Web Page but I'm not so sure they would do the bass any justice?

This option looks more plausible YouTube especially from 3min onward in the video.

Maybe I'm looking for the impossible but does this speaker system exist?

Posted By: Mac Re: PA Suggestions That Do BIAB Justice? - 01/29/13 11:15 PM
BOSE L1

http://www.bose.com/controller?event=VIE...stems/index.jsp

Great sound, fullrange, no monitors needed and nice and portable to boot. Matching Subwoofer available.

I love it.

--Mac
Posted By: Mac Re: PA Suggestions That Do BIAB Justice? - 01/29/13 11:18 PM
My Bose L1 also has the added advantage of the tiny footprint, I have found that too many speakers does not bode well at the retirement home. The support personnel will be telling you to turn it down before you turn it on if you go in there with boxes on stands, power amps and subwoofers. And it just isn't needed there.

The L1 will handle the venue you describe just fine.

--Mac
I bought a very inexpensive ($150) system from Behringer that I absolutely love for small venues like local dive bars with a small crowd. It is the EUROLIVE B205D Active 150-Watt PA/Monitor Speaker System and it mounts on your mic stand. Has two inputs that each accept XLR or 1/4" plug. It has input for your mp3 player, phantom power and a basic EQ.

It certainly won't compare with Mac's Bose L1 but it sounds pretty sweet for small venues and you can't beat the price!

And I just noticed they are replacing the 205 with a 207 which has a bit larger speaker, an additional mic input and a built-in mp3 player so you can play your recordings from a USB stick.
Posted By: Paul Haynes Re: PA Suggestions That Do BIAB Justice? - 01/29/13 11:52 PM
Mac, which Bose L1 do you mean? There are three.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: PA Suggestions That Do BIAB Justice? - 01/30/13 12:40 AM
Quote:

I bought a very inexpensive ($150) system from Behringer that I absolutely love for small venues like local dive bars with a small crowd. It is the EUROLIVE B205D Active 150-Watt PA/Monitor Speaker System and it mounts on your mic stand. Has two inputs that each accept XLR or 1/4" plug. It has input for your mp3 player, phantom power and a basic EQ.

It certainly won't compare with Mac's Bose L1 but it sounds pretty sweet for small venues and you can't beat the price!

And I just noticed they are replacing the 205 with a 207 which has a bit larger speaker, an additional mic input and a built-in mp3 player so you can play your recordings from a USB stick.

I saw a bluegrass band last night and they used this cool little PA. The venue was very small, about the size of a McDonalds. They stayed 4 feet away from the mic, and you could still hear each performer singing. The instruments were acoustic, not amplified, so they just used it for vocals. They might not have needed a PA at all for this gig, but it was clearly capable of a lot more volume than they were requiring of it.
Posted By: Mac Re: PA Suggestions That Do BIAB Justice? - 01/30/13 01:11 AM
Quote:

Mac, which Bose L1 do you mean? There are three.

Well, you said you wanted a subwoofer, so that rules out choice number 1. BUT -- you very likely won't need the subwoofer. My suggestion is to see if you can audition one locally before purchase, take your laptop and BB with you, ask to plug it in. I don't use a subwoofer, didn't buy one, don't need it IMO. If, perhaps, you wanted to rock out, perhaps it would be apropos, but you mentioned retirement homes...

Numbers two and three come with the addon subwoofer.

For your stated purposes, and even much larger halls than that, you might consider choice 2, the one in the middle.

I'm not using the extra subwoofer with mine and it sounds just great with BiaB. People are always remarking on how good we sound. And the sound seems to come from everywhere, there are no hotspots and no dropout spots either. No separate monitor system, even in large venues, we hear exactly what they hear. And running it yourself onstage is easy peasy, literally a set and forget system.

In the retirement homes, I often elect not to put up the entire stack, as well. It isn't needed, is more unobtrusive in looks, but still fills the typical large drawing room or cafeterias found in those places.

--Mac
Posted By: GDaddy Re: PA Suggestions That Do BIAB Justice? - 01/30/13 01:16 AM
Behringer K3000FX Ultratone Keyboard Amplifier (300 Watts, 1x15")

I use this to amplify my keyboards, synths, guitars, Bass guitars, Roland 5080 and even a JAM MAN! looper.
The bass is gut wrenching on the drums and Bass guitar, and the vocals are crystal clear...

With 300 Watts of power, you'll never run out of horse power. The K3000FX 4-channel PA/keyboard amplifier enclosed in a bass reflex cabinet has a special, beefed up 15" Bugera woofer and a custom-made 1" tweeter, delivering clear, clean sound that's ideal for gigs, large or small... included in this great amp,an internal 24-bit digital FX processor with 100 awesome presets including reverb, chorus, flanger, delay, pitch shifter and various multi-effects. Our revolutionary FBQ Feedback Detection Enjoy full 4-channel stereo operation with separate volume and FX Send controls per channel, plus there is an additional XLR mic input on channel 1 for direct connection of dynamic microphones. Use the dedicated 7-band graphic EQ to give your sound your very own edge. I also have a Behringer Bass Amp which is plenty powerful. My Fender
KXR keyboard/PA is also a performer to reflect the quality of the BIAB/RB Programs PERFECTO!!

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHK3000FX

4 payments of $100....Have it payed off in no-time!!

It's delicious...it's delightful...its... POTATO SOLID!! ...
Posted By: Mac Re: PA Suggestions That Do BIAB Justice? - 01/30/13 01:23 AM
Here's the reason why this old achin' back loves his Bose L-1:

One trip. Even with guitar bag over the other shoulder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia-vbM4lwp0

And it fits in the trunk or on the backseat of my little Ford Taurus.

I've got a Roland stereo keyboard amp. Nice to have on the loud R&B/Bluesband gig, but a real backbreaker at the end of the night.

And to think that I used to lug a B3 around.

Maybe that's what's wrong with the back now?

--Mac
Posted By: Danny C. Re: PA Suggestions That Do BIAB Justice? - 01/30/13 01:54 AM
The B3 wears you down, than BAM the Leslie's throws the knockout punch!

Later,
Posted By: John Conley Re: PA Suggestions That Do BIAB Justice? - 01/30/13 02:30 AM
I have the l1 model 2 with a bass speaker and the little Mixer. I don't know about guitar pickups but an audix mic is suggested by many and I love mine. None of it is heavy, but I got 2 trolley dollies 2 wheel jobs that I pull in. The Bose has some magic inside and if Mac says its good it is. I think we ended up getting them close to the same time, he's always telling me what to do. I'm pretty deaf.
Posted By: J. Larry Re: PA Suggestions That Do BIAB Justice? - 01/30/13 03:52 AM
I've played many nursing homes and retirement centers with the Behringer 205D monitor speakers (with BIAB and outboard mixer), and they work great. Small, light-weight and they get the job done. Even used them with a 4-piece group in a restaurant setting. No problem.
I use a Yamaha stage pass for smaller venues. Very neat design. Two passive speakers with 6 channel mixer which fits onto the back of one of the speakers and the cables go in the back of the other. So all you carrying is two small speakers
Posted By: Flatfoot Re: PA Suggestions That Do BIAB Justice? - 01/30/13 05:26 AM
For the small venues like nursing homes I use Logitechs similar to these:

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-980-00040...rs+for+computer

Remember that in a nursing home you will not need great volume to compete with chatting, knife-and-fork noises and other audio interference. These have plenty of power for something the size of a large living room. They do something very nice with vocals, and handle the full range of Biab instruments cleanly and in stereo. The tweeters are small enough that I can usually place them in a way that makes them nearly invisible. The whole thing fits in one milk crate, including a mixer like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PYD6070-6-Cha...6+channel+mixer

(...many companies make mixers on this scale.)

Actually I use one of these for roll-in and roll-out:

http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Extendabl...=rolling+crate.

If you can afford the Bose, go get 'em. If not, try these. Try Craigslist while you are at it
Posted By: tomshannon2 Re: PA Suggestions That Do BIAB Justice? - 01/30/13 06:14 AM
I'm with Mac on this one...I've owned Bose L1 since 2005 (at that time there was only one option).

For nursing home/assisted living situations, the L1 compact is more than sufficient. The bass module is built into the unit and would suffice for your application. The other models have an option bass module which are a more powerful bass modules than the built in module in in the compact. But again, the L1 Compact would suffice for your application.
Posted By: Paul Haynes Re: PA Suggestions That Do BIAB Justice? - 01/30/13 08:04 AM
I'm looking for a sound system that when played through, the bass sounds live and deep rather than just OK if you know what I mean. To the best of my knowledge and experience this can only be achieved with a sub in the mix?
Posted By: Mac Re: PA Suggestions That Do BIAB Justice? - 01/30/13 01:48 PM
Quote:

I'm looking for a sound system that when played through, the bass sounds live and deep rather than just OK if you know what I mean. To the best of my knowledge and experience this can only be achieved with a sub in the mix?

You must audition the L-1, the standard model, which has a subwoofer in the bottom, just not as big as the other two offerings.

My bass sounds like a bass should, whether using Realtracks or even MIDI styles.

The L-1 is a totally different design concept from any of the others mentioned here. Trying to compare the L-1 to the standard PA configs that are everywhere without first auditioning the L-1 system is like trying to compare a prop place to a jet.

--Mac
Posted By: Paul Haynes Re: PA Suggestions That Do BIAB Justice? - 01/30/13 04:44 PM
Quote:

And to think that I used to lug a B3 around.

--Mac

Whats a B3? Is that the Bose L1 Model 3? The largest of all of them?

So from your posts I take it you have the L1 Compact?

I will audition as soon as funds permit and where I can find a place who sell them. I do live in UK after all!

But here's my take on it, my AER Acousticube 2 cost me around £1500 when bought back in 1998. Now they are over £2000. So if an expensive brand like Bose sell their bottom range system for £899 cheapest, me thinks it isnt going to meet my needs. The L1 v2 or L1 v3 or L1 v2 x2 subs etc might do? Or am I wrong?
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: PA Suggestions That Do BIAB Justice? - 01/30/13 04:52 PM
If i had the cash right now rather than the upper end Bose i would get 2 compacts. Two bass modules and 2 speaker arrays stereo, cool.
Posted By: John Conley Re: PA Suggestions That Do BIAB Justice? - 01/30/13 06:08 PM
A b3 is an organ. It also used special Leslie speakers, which have a spinning horn.

It needs a special rig to move it, or 2 strong people.

I never moved one, but mostly played the 'floor' model b4.

I have played a b3 where the band bought one and a leslie, but I , that's I with a capital I, never helped to move it. I did set it up though. And that's another whole story.

I'm with Mac on this one, mine is the L1 Model 2, with 2 pieces of pole, the bass module, and the 'mixer'. That was to be our touring rig. I should find someone in my area who wants to gig with it, I use it 2 or 3 times a week, preferring to play the actual piano on the upper level of the house.

Bose is pricey, but look up the website, or find a dealer who has one setup. I think it's worth the cash if you are looking to invest in something well engineered that should last you 10 years. If you think that way. I don't even by green bananas anymore.
Posted By: russ66 Re: PA Suggestions That Do BIAB Justice? - 01/30/13 08:49 PM
JhonJhonJhon
I'm new to BB & haven't used it for gigs yet. I'm like you & the people you've been talking to. I sing at small setting gigs exactly like you guys were talking about. I have an "Accoustic AG60" amp. It has 2 channels with 2 imputs per channels with each imput having it's own volume control, thats 4 total. It's 60 watts which is plenty of punch for what I do. I plug my accoustic guitar into one and my live mic into another, adjust the controls to what sounds good & I'm good to go. Now I understand that in order to get my BB songs through to the amp I need an interface connection from my laptop to the sound a module, which is a sinth without the keyboard,(I don't play keyboard). Then from the sinth into the PA. My question to you guys is what are you using for a sound module? Also, do you notice any change in the mix from what is in BB? It's easy to come up with a good mix in BB, but the people at PG music are telling me that the sound mix at a live setting could be way off from what you put into BB at home. They say that each & evey song should be live tested & the mix re-adjusted in a similar enviroment like a large room somewhere or even your garage at home. Especially if you are not taking your laptop along on the gig. Never, they say render your song to MP3 from BB while in your bedroom or office, then take it to the gig plug it in your player and expect the mix to sound like it did at home, or you could be in for a nasty surprise. So what is your guys experience with this? Also what are you using for sound modules? I'm just a simple guy trying to learn this stuff & keep the old ladies at the nursing home happy.
russ66
SAMSON XP-308i Portable Sound System. It's great, lightweight PA that you can carry with one hand. Speakers can be set up on stands or on a handy chair. We use it with BIAB and the bass sounds OK, though not flabby. It's also affordable.
Robert
Posted By: Paul Haynes Re: PA Suggestions That Do BIAB Justice? - 01/31/13 10:58 AM
Thanks people for all your posts. Interesting read. I like the cheap options only because they are cheap but to be honest I wouldnt be happy with them long term. I've been quite drawn to the Bose L1 + B2 sub + Bose Mixer. That setup would set me back around £2500 but it should be close to my computer sound system which is what I was looking for. All I need to do now is figure out how to get £2500 .....and some talent to justify it!
Posted By: Paul Haynes Re: PA Suggestions That Do BIAB Justice? - 01/31/13 09:35 PM
Russ66;

Just read your post. Guys here recommended VRM Box for mixing your song. They also recommended Song MDR 7506 headphones also, although I'm going to save £20 and buy the near identical domestic version - Sony MDR V6 instead. I guess once you get a good mix it should play well on any sound system? The other thing to consider would be how well your sound system reproduces compared to the sound you get from your computer bedroom or office. That's why I started this thread and I've come to the conclusion that whilst most sound systems will do, I'm looking for something Hi Fi like with nice smooth deep bass as if the bass/drums were live. So far the Bose L1 seems to offer that, but I haven't heard it yet and the system is very expensive.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: PA Suggestions That Do BIAB Justice? - 01/31/13 10:36 PM
Hi Paul. Couple of comments on this latest part of the thread, on mixing:

I've tried the VRM box. It's a neat trick for listening, but I'm not convinced that it should be used for mixing. The trick to mixing is to learn how your setup 'colors' the sound and to compensate, and minimize the coloring as much as possible. I'm not sure that would be easy with the VRM. As an example of the concept, most pro studios have a set of Yamaha NS-10 monitors - the ones with the while cones (no longer available). They are HORRIBLE. But engineers use them because they do not color the sound. If the mix can sound good on them, it will sound great on anything else!

And, if I can help it, I never mix on headphones. Checking the mix is another matter, though, and this is where I can see a good use of the VRM, especially to check for muddy bass.

I love my SONY 7506 headphones. I've used both of mine for so many years, I've gone through two sets of replacement pads. I have the 7509 as well, but it sounds too 'boomy' to me. The 7506 is great for tracking (wearing while recording).

For longer listening sessions, I prefer the on-ear style of my Alessandro Ones (like a Grado) since they are more comfortable, but you can't use open headphones while tracking. So, if I had to choose only one headphone to use for everything, it would be the 7506.
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: PA Suggestions That Do BIAB Justice? - 01/31/13 10:55 PM
Dang, someone has a used 3-year old Bose L1 on sale on craigslist for $750 and I think it is not the compact because he says it retailed for close to $2,000. It must be the L1 Model 1 w/o a bass module, though -- so that would put it in the $1,500 range for a new one now. I wish I was ready to get one of those -- but I am not.
Posted By: Mac Re: PA Suggestions That Do BIAB Justice? - 02/01/13 01:24 AM
I would never use the L-1 as a recording studio monitor.

For the studio, I want speakers that work in the nearfield, and also bring no added coloration or equalization to the party.

--Mac
Quote:

Russ66;

Just read your post. Guys here recommended VRM Box for mixing your song. They also recommended Song MDR 7506 headphones also, although I'm going to save £20 and buy the near identical domestic version - Sony MDR V6 instead. I guess once you get a good mix it should play well on any sound system? The other thing to consider would be how well your sound system reproduces compared to the sound you get from your computer bedroom or office. That's why I started this thread and I've come to the conclusion that whilst most sound systems will do, I'm looking for something Hi Fi like with nice smooth deep bass as if the bass/drums were live. So far the Bose L1 seems to offer that, but I haven't heard it yet and the system is very expensive.

Paul, I'm using the VRM box because it is a huge improvement to mixing in headphones without it and currently I'm stuck mixing only with headphones. The VRM seems to do a good job of simulating the stereo effect of two speakers in space as well as giving you several setups to choose from. I am using reference CDs heavily to ensure my mixes sound good.

I certainly am not an expert! Honestly I'm pretty new at all of this. But based on what I have read from industry pros, most home studios are in such bad condition that the most expensive, neutral studio monitors in the world won't help that! And most folks don't bother that much with room treatments (typically I hear talk of hanging up a blanket!) So for me the simplest, fastest and most economical way to do mixing was with headphones and when I discovered the VRM that just made that decision even easier!
I highly recommend the L1 system also.

Terry
There was a time I would have never considered doing serious mixing over headphones. However since starting to use the VRM box, the VRM with headphones have gotten me closer than my studio nearfield monitors (and accompanying room imperfections) ever did for getting a mix that translates well to other speakers and environments.

As Mac also said, I wouldn't recommend using the Bose L1 system to mix with, but it is certainly advisable to check your mix on them in a decent sized room if you plan on using them for playback in a performance situation.

Terry
Posted By: Paul Haynes Re: PA Suggestions That Do BIAB Justice? - 02/01/13 07:41 AM
From what I've read from people's reviews on the net the Sony MDR 7506 are the same as the Sony MDR V6, only they are aimed at the domestic market. People who have used both say they sound exactly the same so buy the cheaper ones instead = V6.

I'm planning on getting the VRM Box because my whilst my computer sound system is really a Hi Fi system, I don't trust it. It's weighted too much towards bass unless I turn the sub off then its sound really lacking. So when I mix I will be switching between VRM to my speakers with and without sub. There's also the car as a test also. You can tell if something is too boomy in th car I reckon.

I'm def checking out the L1 with B2 bass. But funds do not permit that at the moment and to be honest I cannot justify the cost because I'm not gigging yet. When I do, depending how that pans outs will determine the purchase of L1 but they do impress. I get the I impression the bose L1 with subs is akin to Hi Fi sound?
Quote:

I'm def checking out the L1 with B2 bass. But funds do not permit that at the moment and to be honest I cannot justify the cost because I'm not gigging yet. When I do, depending how that pans outs will determine the purchase of L1 but they do impress. I get the I impression the bose L1 with subs is akin to Hi Fi sound?

The full sound spectrum is there, and the dispersion area is key. I'm using both L1 Compacts and the L1 Model 2 with the B1 bass bins, depending on the venue, and both are very impressive as is. I've also heard the B2 bass module and for deep bass that is better yet.

Terry
Posted By: DennisD Re: PA Suggestions That Do BIAB Justice? - 02/02/13 06:54 AM
Like the concept of the L1. Light, adjustable tower height for the speakers so great for sitting or standing. Perhaps youtube just doesn't reproduce the sound well enough, but I found all the clips I watched on youtube to have a poor bass response and a midrange scoop. Clarity is certainly not an issue but I didn't hear much meat in the samples. Would love to try one of these our soon as I am looking for a lighter, versitile amp. Loving my vacation rignt now as I have time to participate in the forum. DennisD
Posted By: Paul Haynes Re: PA Suggestions That Do BIAB Justice? - 02/02/13 12:42 PM
Quote:

The full sound spectrum is there, and the dispersion area is key. I'm using both L1 Compacts and the L1 Model 2 with the B1 bass bins, depending on the venue, and both are very impressive as is. I've also heard the B2 bass module and for deep bass that is better yet.

Terry

I'm guessing the B2 bass module is the one that will emulate a true bass player? But what about the other systems, do they offer realistic bottom end bass - IE do they sound like a bass player is in the room? I certainly wont have money to throw around so careful planning and purchasing is key. I'm looking for a Bose system which will emulate sub sonic bass to encourage toes to tap along and even feel the bass without blowing people off their chairs or becoming too boomy. I need to get myself to the shop that demos them but they are a 4+ hour trip there and back, so at the moment its easier to ask online for some key questions.
Posted By: Mac Re: PA Suggestions That Do BIAB Justice? - 02/02/13 01:24 PM
I don't recommend using Youtube audio to evaluate the audio quality of *anything*.

And certainly one can get good sound from some if not all of the other suggested systems.

PaulH, you really need to get out with BB and your laptop to some music stores where you can demo some of the different sound systems. no amount of written word on any forum is going to be able to replace that for you. FIND OUT FOR YOURSELF BY ACTUAL AUDITION -- then narrow things down.

The Bose system is indeed pricey and there are plenty of PA offerings that can do a great job and not break the bank account. Users have posted in this thread what they are using in actual performances and their happiness with them. Make a list. See if you can find the same systems in local stores or at least an equivalent and take your laptop plus a cable and adaptors that will yield a line level signal and ask the store people to arrange for you to plug in and listen to the various offerings.

--Mac
Posted By: 90 dB Re: PA Suggestions That Do BIAB Justice? - 02/02/13 01:43 PM
I'm not a big fan of Bose, especially regarding their reluctance to publish actual specs, BUT: if you can make this small, compact system work for you - go for it.

We had to buy a trailer to haul our PA and backline in. I wish we could just throw a system in the trunk of the car!

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: PA Suggestions That Do BIAB Justice? - 02/04/13 04:27 AM
I went to Guitar Center today looking for active speakers that are light enough for this old man to lug around, and appropriate for small to medium sized indoor venues. I asked the guy in the proAudio area what speaker provided the most "bang for the buck", and without hesitation he recommended the ALTO TS-115

I searched online for reviews, and there were a few negatives.. but all from DJs who blew the 15" speaker, probably due to the ultra low frequencies so popular in the genres DJs tend to play

I can't imagine blowing speakers during a Crosby Stills Nash & Young or James Taylor song.
Posted By: Danny C. Re: PA Suggestions That Do BIAB Justice? - 02/04/13 05:29 AM
Quote:

PaulH, you really need to get out with BB and your laptop to some music stores where you can demo some of the different sound systems. no amount of written word on any forum is going to be able to replace that for you. FIND OUT FOR YOURSELF BY ACTUAL AUDITION -- then narrow things down.

--Mac

Bam! There it is, as we say down south "Da Skinny".

Later guys getting reddy for tomorrows gig.

Peace out, later,
Posted By: Paul Haynes Re: PA Suggestions That Do BIAB Justice? - 02/04/13 05:25 PM
No problem, I do intend to go check all this stuff out before buying anything.
Posted By: Ryszard Re: PA Suggestions That Do BIAB Justice? - 02/04/13 05:33 PM
Quote:

I can't imagine blowing speakers during a Crosby Stills Nash & Young or James Taylor song.

Ya gotta hold yer mouth ju-uu-ust right . . .
Posted By: Mac Re: PA Suggestions That Do BIAB Justice? - 02/04/13 07:51 PM
Many of the speakers we get in for repair or even warranty replacement aren't blown by the music content.

They get blown by people making foolish mistakes.

**The guy who can't hear it at all, so proceeds to turn Volumes up ALL THE WAY and then proceeds to start checking cables. Finds the misconnected or nonconnected cable and shoves it into the jack. BOOOWOOOOOM! There is absolutely no need to turn volumes up all the way. Especially when troubleshooting a no sound situation.

**A LOT of drivers get blown due to underpowered amplifiers. Far too many do not understand this situation. "This speaker is rated for 400W and I was only running a 150W Power Amp!" -- A recipe for Clipping, which means more ON TIME, which translates to more heating of the Voice Coil and can lead to Voice Coil failure. it is up to the user to be able to hear Clipping in the audio and not try to send a boy to do a man's job here, if you only have that 150W available, don't try to make it perform as if it was 400W.

**Bad Connections. The guy who has a bad cable and continues to use it because if you bend it a certain way it starts to work. Good way to get into a situation where you pop a speaker when that cable cuts out, in the heat of performance he turns the output up because it isn't as loud as it was before -- and then that cable gets moved or vibrated back into a working state. If a speaker cable, it can also SHORT inside, which may blow the outputs of the Power Amp.

**Active speakers outdoors in the hot summer sun. This one comes around every summer here near the ocean. Dark speaker cabinet, a physics prof's "black box" as far as being able to absorb more of Old Sol's radiations, stuck up on a pole for an hour or two before even being operated. Internal temperatures soar from the absorbed heat. Most of those active speakers do not contain fans to cool the power supply and power amplifier inside them, they depend on the action of the working woofer cone to move air in and out of the cabinet. Just sitting there idling in the hot sun can cause internal temperature to soar way above the design constraint. And then its their turn onstage and they kick it off, asking the overheated components to suddenly crank it out. Transistor junctions fail due to the heat.

Just as with so many things that I try to point out in my posts, the care and feeding of your music equipment is just another topic where Knowledge is Power.

--Mac
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: PA Suggestions That Do BIAB Justice? - 02/04/13 11:37 PM
Good information Mac! Thanks!

One problem with a solo act is that you end up doing some very important things that may not be your forte. Even if I can play the instruments, sing the songs, buy the gear, learn the software, record my trax, mix them , work the crowd etc etc... I can still screw it all up if I make a brain dead move out of ignorance and undermine my own gear

One more reason why you add such value to the forum.
Posted By: jazzsax Re: PA Suggestions That Do BIAB Justice? - 02/06/13 06:42 PM
"It needs a special rig to move it, or 2 strong people."
Or 4 old people
I have moved these beasts up and down stairs, up and over piano bars.
More than I would like to remember in the 60's and 70's. But as a sax player
it was always my favorite when there was a great B3 player on a gig.
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: PA Suggestions That Do BIAB Justice? - 02/07/13 03:49 PM
Quote:

Paul, I've been gigging for 40 years and have used everything under the sun for it. I NEVER buy anything music related brand new. Never. There's way too many idiot wannabe's who walk into a music store all wide eyed knowing squat about anything and buy the wrong stuff. They discover they have no talent and no gigs and it just sits gathering dust. Finally, they sell it used for less than half what they paid new.

Three names, JBL, ElectroVoice and RCF ART. RCF is Italian and while I've not heard them they're readily available in the UK and have a stellar reputation as good bang for the buck.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=752230&Q=&is=REG&A=details

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/electro-voice-elx112p-active-12-loudspeaker

http://www.frontrowelectronics.com/rcf-a...CFUlxQgodd2UANA

I have the EV 112P. I picked it up used from a wannabe DJ less than a mile from me I saw on Craigslist for 380 USD. Any one of these speakers by itself will absolutely blow the windows out of a small venue and I use mine for keyboards including playing organ bass with a small jazz group. I also play with an 18 piece big band and use it for piano. My EV is just a killer speaker and it weighs 36 pounds. There is NO WAY I'm paying Bose money for about fifteen $100-200 gigs a year.

Around here you see JBL and EV everywhere and from reading lots of keyboard forums I know for a fact RCF is well known and liked in the UK. All three are the pro's choice for both keys and PA work.

Trust me, if a speaker set up works for keyboards it'll work for you. Keys are the absolute worst thing for a powered speaker. They go from thundering bass to hf synth and flute type stuff and usually all at the same time. Among other things I do some gigs using an arranger keyboard where I'm the one man band behind a sax player and vocalist. His two powered JBL Eon's sound just great. True, maybe an L1 would be a bit better but not for that kind of money. His Eon's are at least 10 years old are only worth now maybe $300 each and still work great. I was on a cruise a couple years ago and every venue on the whole ship had Eon's from the main 600 seat theater to all the little lounges with either a single or duo playing. There were also about 8 of them around the main pool for the band that was playing there. Nobody had individual instrument speakers, everything went through the JBL's. JBL's and EV's are the industry standard for PA work. Oh yes, QSC too forgot about them. They're a bit more than the others but very good also.

I rarely see Bose anywhere most likely due to the price but the vocalist did bring his L1 to a big band rehearsal, he set it up behind the band and it cut through and sounded great. I have no quarrel with the Bose sound quality, just the price. JBL and EV have been at each others throats for at least 40 years. I've heard them in every type of venue from a huge Elton John concert to small clubs my whole life. If they're good enough for everybody else, they're good enough for me.

Bob
Posted By: John Conley Re: PA Suggestions That Do BIAB Justice? - 02/07/13 04:23 PM
I looked at cheaper model wives, in the end, after one experience with one, I went for the up market, musician with an education and experience in a wide variety of activities, who's father had boats and motors and cabins and no son in law to share them with. :-). I could have got another one from a pub, but hung out at concerts instead.

Then, thinking about my experience with low end stuff, I got a Bose.

But the expensive wife was worried about the expense of the thing, but then realized I get out of the house...yada.

Not much anymore, she has to carry it.
© PG Music Forums