PG Music Home
Posted By: Pat Marr YOU DA MAN award - 02/02/13 06:13 PM
The purpose of this thread is to recognize people on the forum who go above and beyond the call of duty. I hope it gets a lot of use.
--------------------------------------

Today's YOU DA MAN award goes to Paul Warren for not only creating a plugin that redirects MIDI allowing us to use soft synths and multiple hardware synths at the same time in BIAB!

BUT THAT'S NOT ALL....

He also has elected to give it away instead of charging for it!

Paul, You da MAN!!

link to the thread for anybody who hasn't already seen it:
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=396922&an=0&page=0#Post396922

As always, one YOU DA MAN award plus 5 bucks gets you a cup of Starbucks (in some locations you may need to add more than $5 to this award to get the coffee)
Posted By: MountainSide Re: YOU DA MAN award - 02/02/13 06:26 PM
Definitely +1 on that! Paul Da Man!
Posted By: Mac Re: YOU DA MAN award - 02/02/13 06:36 PM
Absolutely. Paul be Da Man.

But I think you get a much better deal on the coffee over at Wawa...

--Mac
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: YOU DA MAN award - 02/02/13 07:59 PM
Yeah no kidding that Wawa coffee is the snizzle!
Posted By: pwarren Re: YOU DA MAN award - 02/03/13 01:16 AM
Thank you all for the kind words.

A big shout out to Pat and Jeff and others for their help in testing. And to pretty much everyone on this site for being helpful and friendly. And to PGM for developing BiaB in the first place. Without it there'd be a big void in the music software world.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: YOU DA MAN award - 02/03/13 01:45 AM
When one of the ladies on the forum wins, it will be a YOU DA MA'AM award
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: YOU DA MAN award - 02/03/13 08:11 AM
Pat, I have no idea why that caught me so funny but it did.
Posted By: CeeBee Re: YOU DA MAN award - 02/03/13 08:40 AM
Which one is the final release?
Posted By: MountainSide Re: YOU DA MAN award - 02/03/13 01:06 PM
As of right now, the most up to date version of Paul's ReDirector is posted in his posting of Friday Feb 1 at 8:39PM (look under the forum posting titled "VSTi to Midi is here"). He has not had a chance yet to post it to his BIAB Wiki.
Posted By: CeeBee Re: YOU DA MAN award - 02/03/13 03:43 PM
got it thanks
Posted By: Joe V Re: YOU DA MAN award - 02/03/13 04:22 PM
Can someone explain to me how this program differs from what MIDI yoke allows ? I'm not sure I understand the significance. Thx.
Posted By: pwarren Re: YOU DA MAN award - 02/03/13 05:27 PM
Quote:

Can someone explain to me how this program differs from what MIDI yoke allows ? I'm not sure I understand the significance. Thx.

You can only use midi yoke if you DO NOT set the USE DXi setting. That is, if you want to use DXi/VST FX and instruments you can't use any external midi ports including midi yoke.

My plugin allows you to use external ports simultaneously with the DXi/VST system.
Posted By: Joe V Re: YOU DA MAN award - 02/03/13 05:58 PM
Thanks for explaining Paul - but without getting into too much detail, and at a really high level - why was that constraint initially imposed, and how'd you overcome it ? It sounds pretty hairy and complicated. You must be a programmer by trade.
Posted By: pwarren Re: YOU DA MAN award - 02/03/13 08:19 PM
Just to inform you all, the wiki is updated to version 1.01 which should have all the fixes. Just be sure to check the zip file is VSTiToMidi v101.zip and that the included text file has the appropriate Last Modified statement. My ISPs server caches files and sometimes it's possible to get an old version, although it's unlikely in this case.

Paul
Posted By: pwarren Re: YOU DA MAN award - 02/03/13 08:30 PM
Quote:

Thanks for explaining Paul - but without getting into too much detail, and at a really high level - why was that constraint initially imposed, and how'd you overcome it ? It sounds pretty hairy and complicated. You must be a programmer by trade.

I guess the restriction comes from the way BiaB developed over the years. I can't really speak to the decisions made by the developers except to say they seem to want to keep BiaB backwards compatible as much as possible which I totally agree with.

As far as how I overcame the limitation? Well BiaB sends midi data to the VSTi slots. I realized I could redirect that midi data to a port by writing a VSTi. Now we can take limited advantage of our hardware devices within BiaB instead of having to resort to RB which isn't really an auto-accompaniment program like BiaB is.

It isn't too hairy to do if you are reasonably experienced with a high level programming language. I'm not a professional programmer but I do have lots of experience as I've been programming since 1981.
Posted By: rharv Re: YOU DA MAN award - 02/03/13 08:50 PM
I said it before, and I'll say it again; I appreciate your efforts. PGMusic should too. This adds a functionality that was sorely missing.

<!-- If it was me, I wouldn't charge for it either .. but I'd hope PGMusic took the hint, added the feature and gave credit where credit is due. -->

or /* */
or '
or <%-- --%>
etc

Posted By: dcuny Re: YOU DA MAN award - 02/03/13 09:37 PM
Yeah, that's the problem with working with multiple programming languages... After a while you forget which one you're using...

--
//
REM
!

That, and remembering if you need semicolons at the end of the lines...
Posted By: Mac Re: YOU DA MAN award - 02/03/13 11:14 PM
Sitting here remembering the young goprammer who thought he was commenting (and being facetious as well as using a bit of foul language concerning one of the bosses) - but somehow in his glee, forgot to place the semicolon to comment it out.

And it was right there during a printscreen execution.

The rest of us got a good laugh out of it, but the boss and the kid were gettin' kinda down and serious...

--Mac
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: YOU DA MAN award - 02/23/13 02:20 PM
today's YOU DA MAN award goes to NOEL96 for...

- his relentlessly positive attitude and encouragement of others
- his willingness to share what he's learned with anyone who will listen
- his clear explanations of complicated topics, often accompanied by screen shots

at a time when the forum seems to be losing the social grace that Noel exhibits so abundantly, his good humor and value-adding forum participation serves as a model worthy of emulation.

You're a better man than I am Noel.. (but I'm watching from the sidelines and learning)
Posted By: DrDan Re: YOU DA MAN award - 02/23/13 02:41 PM
here, here. Congradulations Noel96, a well deserved award.
Posted By: Tommyc Re: YOU DA MAN award - 02/23/13 03:11 PM
1+!
Posted By: seeker Re: YOU DA MAN award - 02/23/13 03:33 PM
Great big Yes to Noel, most excellent member.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: YOU DA MAN award - 02/23/13 03:40 PM
+1
Posted By: Mac Re: YOU DA MAN award - 02/23/13 03:48 PM
++++1
Posted By: MountainSide Re: YOU DA MAN award - 02/23/13 08:41 PM
Absolutely...Noel da Man!
Posted By: Noel96 Re: YOU DA MAN award - 02/24/13 04:59 AM
Dear all,

Thank you for giving me a huge smile this morning! I really appreciate the sentiment, thoughts and all those +1s. I'm not quite sure that to say but I wanted you to know that I'm really grateful.

Best wishes,
Noel

FOR PAT MARR
Pat, just what kind of rubber-stamp did you get (you know what I mean!)???? It seems like it desperately needs some very serious "how to be a good rubber-stamp" training. When I read what it had done in the above post, I turned a very very bright red - sort of like a fire-engine with high gloss paint work. Luckily no-one was around. Your rubber-stamp really shouldn't be allowed to mislead people like it has done. I was lucky the Floyd gave me the heads up about this post so at least I could write this note and address your -'s mischief.
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: YOU DA MAN award - 02/25/13 07:04 PM
Kudos to Paul and Noel96,two excellent choices!

My Tunes
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: YOU DA MAN award - 05/19/13 02:30 PM
aaaaaand TODAY's "YOU DA MAN" award goes to...
(drum roll....)

Click to reveal..
DON GAYNOR!

for....

Click to reveal..
his unrelenting efforts to keep us smiling!!

and also for...

Click to reveal..
achieving over 100,000 hits on his joke thread

what can I say, except...

Click to reveal..
YOU DA MAN!
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: YOU DA MAN award - 05/19/13 02:35 PM
I forgot about this thread until now, but in order to preserve the fabric of the universe, someone else needs to be "DA MANNED"

ANDREW's hard work, patience with all our whining, and diligence to track down and fix all forum bugs really, truly and uncontestably makes him DA MAN!

We appreciate all that you do!

PS: "YOU DA MAN"
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: YOU DA MAN award - 05/19/13 03:34 PM
Definitely! YOU DA MAN, ANDREW! I'm sorely tempted to let you out of the penalty box three years early. (Okay, the temptation has passed).
Posted By: Danny C. Re: YOU DA MAN award - 05/20/13 12:29 AM
Paul Noel and Don great choices.

Just a thought, if this is a daily thing you might be running out of da mans/men pretty soon.

Later,
Posted By: Noel96 Re: YOU DA MAN award - 05/21/13 11:34 AM
Hey Pat,

I have to say that giving Don your award was just great. I don't know of anyone more deserving on these forums. Life has led Don along paths that cross some mighty huge mountains. Always, though, he has maintained his dignity, his 'oirish' sense of humor and has personified the meaning of the phrase "positive outlook". He inspires all who meet him.

One doesn't come across too many people of Don's caliber in a lifetime.

Best regards,
Noel
Posted By: MikeK Re: YOU DA MAN award - 05/21/13 12:32 PM
+1 What Noel said!!!
Posted By: Danny C. Re: YOU DA MAN award - 05/21/13 12:41 PM
This might be the BIGGEST +1 I have ever posted!

Later,
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: YOU DA MAN award - 05/21/13 01:03 PM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hey Pat,

I have to say that giving Don your award was just great. I don't know of anyone more deserving on these forums. Life has led Don along paths that cross some mighty huge mountains. Always, though, he has maintained his dignity, his 'oirish' sense of humor and has personified the meaning of the phrase "positive outlook". He inspires all who meet him.

Best regards,
Noel

I can't speak for anybody else, but I can say with first hand knowledge that Don is an inspiration to me.
Posted By: Joe Gordon Re: YOU DA MAN award - 05/21/13 01:35 PM
Hi Noel, Well deserved! You have been a huge help to me over the years. Regards from Scotland, Joe G.
Posted By: MarioD Re: YOU DA MAN award - 05/21/13 01:36 PM
Originally Posted By: Danny C.
This might be the BIGGEST +1 I have ever posted!

Later,

Same here!

Don da Man!
Posted By: Curmudgeon Re: YOU DA MAN award - 05/21/13 04:11 PM
A big +2 to all the +1s posted so far.

Don S.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: YOU DA MAN award - 05/21/13 04:45 PM
Friends, I very humbly accept this honor while feeling like 20th runner-up amid a field of much more deserving contributors on these forums. I won't attempt to list them out of fear of missing someone. My memory leaks and Depends don't have nappies for that.

I subscribe to fellow Oklahoman Will Roger's philosophy on life when he said: "I've never met a man (person) that I didn't like!" Granted, some are far easier to like than others. I blame myself for that gap.

Some flatly refuse to be loved or liked. That burden is theirs totally and not mine to bear.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: YOU DA MAN award - 05/21/13 06:11 PM
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hey Pat,

Best regards,
Noel

I can't speak for anybody else, but I can say with first hand knowledge that Don is an inspiration to me.

Crying makes my nose run like your proverbial "sap wagon" and I can't wipe myself. Quit already!

See why I love this place?
Posted By: MikeK Re: YOU DA MAN award - 05/21/13 08:27 PM
Don, crying happy tears is good for your heart and soul. Just get you a big box of tissue and have someone wipe the nose for you!!! smile

Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: YOU DA MAN award - 05/21/13 08:58 PM
Originally Posted By: MikeK
Don, crying happy tears is good for your heart and soul. Just get you a big box of tissue and have someone wipe the nose for you!!! smile

That's exactly what my nurse, Amy, called them, "happy tears". Since my stroke, that part of my brain that controls laughter and crying has been oxygen-starved. To ease concerns from visitors I have a pre-programmed explanation in my Dynavox assuring them that there are no emotions involved and that I am a very happy Irishman. The problem comes from my inability to wipe my nose. LOL.
Posted By: MikeK Re: YOU DA MAN award - 05/21/13 09:01 PM
Well, Don. You have my highest regards and well wishes. May you have an angel help you blow your nose and wipe it. Amy might just be that angel smile
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: YOU DA MAN award - 05/21/13 09:45 PM
Unfortunately, after a year of personal tragedies forced her to miss work, Amy was fired and a large part of my heart went with her. She was like a daughter to me and reciprocated my love. She recently (since her dismissal) chaperoned me to an important congregational function by walking beside my power-chair the seven blocks while lighting my way with her cellphone as a flashlight (Brit: torch). I could write a book about the countless things she did for me.

Management's attempt to appease her was to offer her permanent graveyard shift which would have meant that she would never see her new husband or three adorable adopted grandchildren. Of course she refused.
Posted By: MountainSide Re: YOU DA MAN award - 05/22/13 09:18 AM
So sorry to hear about Amy Don, I know that you held her in the highest regards. I can only hope that you and her stay connected as each of you have gained so much by your relationship. It seems to me that nurses do so much and are appreciate so little these days....blessed are the caregivers.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: YOU DA MAN award - 05/22/13 10:40 AM
Originally Posted By: MountainSide
blessed are the caregivers

Indeed! They deserve so much more recognition than they get.
Posted By: MikeK Re: YOU DA MAN award - 05/22/13 04:20 PM
I also am sorry to read about Amy, Don. But, I can't blame her for what she had to do. Family is always first, of course.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: YOU DA MAN award - 05/24/13 02:23 PM
I would like to nominate Matt Finley for today's YOU DA PERSON Award. He's always ready to jump in to help. He has intimate knowledge of PG software and an in-depth knowledge of music in general. I would like him to be acknowledged for his eagerness to help others. He's a quiet gentleman who never toots his figurative horn but can wail with the best on his literal horn.

Matt, YOU DA PERSON!
Posted By: Lloyd S Re: YOU DA MAN award - 05/24/13 02:57 PM
I second the motion!
Thanks Matt, for all your input.

LLOYD S
Posted By: Danny C. Re: YOU DA MAN award - 05/24/13 03:11 PM
Sorry to hear about Amy but not to fret as I believe people with good kind hearts will always bounce back.

Regarding nurses, in general, they are right up their with the military in my heart and mind as to deserving the utmost respect for what they do . . . I LOVE THEM!

Later,
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: YOU DA MAN award - 05/24/13 03:57 PM
They may require four years of college to come out making about the same as they could by flipping burgers at Mickey D.

They are pooped on, peed on, puked on, bled on, sworn at, spit at, grabbed at, groped, chewed out, blamed, overworked, underpaid, miss meals and potty breaks to put us ahead of their own families, etc. Yet they are the very backbone of the medical profession worldwide.

Have you hugged a nurse today?

A nurse's anthem (sung to the tune of William Tell Overture):

"I am not allowed to blow the whistle, nor ring upon the bell; but let this damned train jump the tracks and see who catches hell."

(repeat ad infinitum)

Key: Pb
Posted By: Danny C. Re: YOU DA MAN award - 05/24/13 10:55 PM
Nurses get paid pretty well in my neck of the woods, as well they should be.

Later,

Edited portion: Still I could not and most likely would not try to do their jobs.
© PG Music Forums