PG Music Home
Posted By: John Conley Still Around - 03/26/13 03:54 PM
I have had a tough post treatment for Stage IV Cancer depression.

One of the things my wife insisted on was going to visit my best friend who is wintering near San Diego.

We went on a tour of the Kanusul Instrument factory where the Zig is still working at 80 something, making French Horns every day.

Here are some shots:

http://www.theconleys.ca/Kanstul2/index.html

When my buddy asked about gold plating, they had a tank for trumpets and cornets. It was small and when he asked about larger horns the guide told us it was 5,000 for a trumpet in materials. No one would pay the 12 to 50k (for a tuba) so what would they have a tank tied up for that?

They have almost one of every model trumpet and most other horns for comparison purposes. And they make all the little crooks a pieces in every size so people can order just a part. Some other manufacturers use their valves and other pieces they all make by hand.

I hope you enjoy this. I loved my vacation, but am unused to being away from my wife for that long.

I got tickets on SW airlines from Detroit (NOT Det riot as in that July in the 60's!) The return flight was 228$ US. Great deal no?
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Still Around - 03/26/13 04:08 PM
Good to see you back John. Cool pictures, especially the plating tank.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: John Conley Re: Still Around - 03/26/13 04:18 PM
Thanks. I have had big issues with parents. My Mother had an upper hernia strangle her bowel and had surgery. I got on the plane to San Diego and got a text as we took off, she had an Abdominal aortic aneurysm that started leaking badly and they had to put in a stent, then 3 days later my Dad had a minor stroke. I have to drive him to the hospital every day, and they concluded he cannot care for her so she is going to a nursing home (permanent type). At the moment they are awaiting a bed. With the cold I had maybe I should have played in a couple of the better ones and ...no, no...

It was very cool to see the whole process, there is not one part they don't make. (Unless you order a bach mouthpiece or something.

Anyway, off to ferry my Dad who lives 8 miles from me, back near me to the hospital for his afternoon visit.

Later...
Posted By: MikeK Re: Still Around - 03/26/13 04:30 PM
Loved the photos as well. Good stuff. Welcome back, John!

Cheers,
Mike
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Still Around - 03/26/13 04:45 PM
John, I saw some of your shots on Facebook. Nice! I would love to visit the Kanstul factory, too. My main horn (flugel) is a Kanstul. Did you meet Charles Hargett? Zig, even?

Thanks for posting. Glad you're back with us.
Posted By: seeker Re: Still Around - 03/26/13 05:18 PM
John,

Great photo's and the nice page you presented them on.
Thank you for sharing.

Bummer on your health glitches, then both of your folks.

Hang in there, we're thinking of you!
Posted By: MountainSide Re: Still Around - 03/26/13 05:45 PM
Great photos John...real American craftsmanship there!
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Still Around - 03/26/13 06:04 PM
My slightly older brother recently died of an abdominal aortic aneurysm. He was dead before he hit the floor. He was simply trying to get up from the sofa. Sorry about your parents. "Aging ain't for sissies!"
Posted By: John Conley Re: Still Around - 03/26/13 06:19 PM
Charles was our tour guide. Zig was making French Horns, I think there is a shot of him there.

My pal Stew saw 2 horns for Sale in Barstow. We were there the previous day. The woman in the small music store/training place wanted $250 firm. One was a French Besson C trumpet with 3 lead pipes, shiny new, not a dent or scratch. Zig had made that one himself. I bet it's worth 2,000 bucks. I don't know if it's sold yet, what a steal. Worth the 2 hour drive. Stew has bought 33 instruments there to date. I brought back a fantastic English made Besson silver matte finish in fantastic condition he sold me for $800 bucks. (Because I'm his buddy)!
Posted By: furry Re: Still Around - 03/27/13 12:24 PM
Good to hear from you John
Posted By: Mac Re: Still Around - 03/27/13 01:31 PM
Good to hear from you, John. PeterG was asking if any of us had heard anything about your well-being awhile back.

--Mac
Posted By: silvertones Re: Still Around - 03/27/13 02:18 PM
Nice to have you back for sure.
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Still Around - 03/27/13 02:23 PM
Glad you are back and I too enjoyed your pictorial of that horn factory.

Later,
Posted By: Ryszard Re: Still Around - 03/27/13 02:36 PM
Thank you for checking in, John. How are you doing overall? We all hope you're around for a long time yet.

Richard
Posted By: ZeroZero Re: Still Around - 03/27/13 05:52 PM
John - I just wish you well
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: Still Around - 03/27/13 06:38 PM
Hi John,
Great to see that you're back on the forum.
Posted By: filkertom Re: Still Around - 03/27/13 10:57 PM
Hey, John! Glad you're back. And so sorry about your and your parents' health issues -- here's hoping everything works out as well as it can.
Posted By: jcspro40 Re: Still Around - 03/28/13 03:14 AM
Very nice pics, Thank You for sharing!
Posted By: John Conley Re: Still Around - 03/28/13 04:15 AM
Thanks 'guys', and furry, I hope you squeeze for many years to come. And now for a valtz, und a von and a too and a tree...
Posted By: John Conley Re: Still Around - 03/28/13 04:24 AM
Thanks all and even Peter too.
Another typical day lately.
Pick my father up, he's 12 miles away.
Drive him for blood tests, the an xray.
Take him for lunch. That killed 8 to 12:30
Go to the hospital to visit my mom, she's going to a nursing home asap. Someone has to die first it appears. Now it's 2.
Too bad, my brother in law runs a whack of nursing homes and housing in BC, she'd get in right away.

Take the dog to the conservation area, back at 4.
Make supper.

Go to Brass Band rehearsal. 7 to 9:30

Go the the pub with the band 9:30 to 11.

The day is gone and I didn't get to play my keyboards or piano.
Sigh.

Tomorrow all I have to do is drive my Dad to see Mom and visit her for an hour. Then the dog...

Good thing Friday is a holiday. I'm retired and still have no time!!!

And I'm messing with the Funeral March of a Marionette as a jazz piece, (in my mind anyway).

I see that Neil the bassist and Terry the drummer from our realtracks are gigging in Toronto in the coming weeks. I'd sure love to get there for that!
Posted By: Joe Gordon Re: Still Around - 03/28/13 09:46 AM
Hi John, my Canadian friend! So glad to see you back!
Hope things will be better for you very soon. Regards, Joe G.
Posted By: furry Re: Still Around - 03/28/13 12:53 PM
I'll be squeezin for many years to come John ( God willing of course ).
© PG Music Forums