PG Music Home
Posted By: Steve Young Hip Replacement - Steve Young - 06/28/13 03:34 AM
Hi to all my forum friends! I have been out of commission for a while now. I've been battling a degenerative arthritic condition in my right hip for some time, and it has progressed to where I had to do something about it, just to continue being able to walk.

This past Monday morning at 5am, I checked in to the hospital in San Antonio. At 7am, I received a total hip replacement of my right hip. My doctor tells me it was successful. I was released from the hospital this afternoon, and now I am at home, starting the arduous recovery process. I'm still pretty sore, but the arthitis is now gone. Praise God!

I am walking (slowly, but deliberately) with a walker. I will be off work for about 3 months on FMLA leave.

So hopefully, I will have some time during my recovery to get back to doing some writing and recording.

I value the freindships I have on this forum, and appreciate your prayers. Looking forward to some more forum time!

Steve
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: Hip Replacement - Steve Young - 06/28/13 03:38 AM
Good luck Steve. I hope everything works out with your recovery.

I'll keep you in my thoughts.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Hip Replacement - Steve Young - 06/28/13 03:49 AM
Glad to hear you're home and doing well Steve. Have you in my prayers.
Posted By: Ryszard Re: Hip Replacement - Steve Young - 06/28/13 04:20 AM
Steve,

Best of luck and a speedy recovery to you. Do what the nice doctors and PT therapists tell you and it should all go well. Pay special attention to avoiding infection. (My father had a similar procedure under what he called "perfect Civil War sanitary conditions" and had an awful time.)

Richard
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Hip Replacement - Steve Young - 06/28/13 04:25 AM
Steve,

glad to hear the operation went well.

If you start posting songs that sound like Hendrix, we'll tell you to back off on the pain meds.

wink

[img] http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/gsdotcom_2268_6223924 [/img]
Posted By: furry Re: Hip Replacement - Steve Young - 06/28/13 07:53 AM
Good Luck Steve hope all goes well with the recovery
Posted By: Joe Gordon Re: Hip Replacement - Steve Young - 06/28/13 09:04 AM
You'll make it work for you Steve!
I had a total left knee replacement two weeks ago............I'm still working towards playing at the Edinburgh International Jazz Fest, last week in July.
Bought myself an upright Guitar stool, to make it easier for playing banjo solos & singing.
Steve, it's important to control pain & discomfort.....follow best advice!
Regards from Scotland, Joe G.
Posted By: jford Re: Hip Replacement - Steve Young - 06/28/13 10:07 AM
Good luck, Steve! My 82 year old mom has had both her hips replaced in the past five years and because of it, she is out and about, fully active, all the time now. She walks a mile or so every day, whereas she used to have trouble just getting out of bed in the morning.

I hope your hip replacement goes as well for you.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Hip Replacement - Steve Young - 06/28/13 10:18 AM
Glad to hear the op went well, Steve. Now you have some time to work on music! Get mobile soon.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: musiclover Re: Hip Replacement - Steve Young - 06/28/13 10:21 AM
Here's hoping for a speedy recovery Steve.

Hope everything will go great for you and will check in to the user forum now and again to hear another of your masterpieces.

All the best
Musiclover
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Hip Replacement - Steve Young - 06/28/13 11:19 AM
Steve -

I sense a new "spaghetti western" song coming...

"The Good, The Bad, And The Beautiful".

The Bad - that you had to endure the growing discomfort and the ensuing procedure.

The Good - that you got it fixed!!! I watched my next door neighbor walk his dog daily - in obvious pain - slow... for the past 4 years - afraid of having a hip replacement done. He finally did it 4 months ago - and now nearly runs around the neighborhood - smiling the whole way... the dog is a lot happier, too.

The Beautiful - that you will have a little R & R - time to do what you should be doing - writing those (beautiful) songs and doing those (beautiful) productions.

Get well - and get walkin'

floyd
Posted By: Mac Re: Hip Replacement - Steve Young - 06/28/13 02:25 PM
Hi Steve,

I played keyboards for a local band last year that is still making a go of the same band and name that they had when they were teenagers back in teh 60's and the drummer has been through hip replacement surgery such as yours. He was then able to start playing drums again, of course there is the occasional problem, but before that he said he couldn't sit a kit at all.

Keep gettin' up and walking, that seems to be one of the key things we should do when recovering from surgery and it also seems that those who use it do much better than those who don't.

God bless, and, of course, you're in the prayer basket here, keep us posted.

And don't forget that this can represent a chance for you to work and play with Band in a Box, Realband, etc.

--Mac
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Hip Replacement - Steve Young - 06/28/13 02:37 PM
Steve,

One more sending prayers for a speedy solid recovery! I hope to hear good news as you progress.

Later,
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Hip Replacement - Steve Young - 06/28/13 02:53 PM
All this talk about praying is making me very uncomfortable. grin
Posted By: gibson Re: Hip Replacement - Steve Young - 06/28/13 03:35 PM
All the best Steve,
I hope you have the success and speed of healing, from similar operations, that 4 of my friends have had in the past year. One of the wives has said, many a time, that she wishes that her husband had his old hip back as at least she knew where he was then!!!
Take it easy and I wish you a good recovery.

Alyn
Posted By: seeker Re: Hip Replacement - Steve Young - 06/28/13 03:57 PM
Steve,

May you have strength to continue down this
road getting back to your normal life.

Remember rule #37.....No dancing the Twist in the
near future.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Hip Replacement - Steve Young - 06/28/13 07:20 PM
Originally Posted By: Danny C.
Steve,

One more sending prayers for a speedy solid recovery! I hope to hear good news as you progress.

Later,

Ditto from Mario
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Hip Replacement - Steve Young - 06/28/13 07:28 PM
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
All this talk about praying is making me very uncomfortable. grin

Chuckle! Me too! Can the mods object to: "positive thoughts"? I don't blame God for the Colorado's fires nor the fact that Vancouver lost at ice polo.
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: Hip Replacement - Steve Young - 06/28/13 07:38 PM
It is great to hear from you Steve, I am glad to hear all went well and that uncle Arther is gone, he sure is a pesky old codger. I know you are in for a time of recovering and pain, here is a Scripture I always keep in my heart for trials such as these.

John 16:33 "These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.”

Look forward to hearing some more of your music, you are in my prayers, God bless!
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Hip Replacement - Steve Young - 06/28/13 09:10 PM
Wishing you the best and for a complete and speedy recovery.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Hip Replacement - Steve Young - 06/29/13 01:16 AM
Glad to hear the operation went well! I'm looking forward some productive output from you! smile
Posted By: Steve Young Re: Hip Replacement - Steve Young - 06/29/13 02:01 PM
Thanks so very much to all of you for all the kind words, prayers, and "positive thoughts"! It really means a lot to me.

I am getting a little stronger every day. Started dealing with a swelling issue yesterday, but I think we are getting that under control now.

Hopefully within the next few days, I will be able to start writing/arranging songs with Band In A Box again. (There, that makes this a music post! smile )

Thanks again!

Steve
Posted By: ROG Re: Hip Replacement - Steve Young - 06/29/13 03:50 PM
Hi Steve.

I came to this thread a little late so it's all been said, but on the plus side more time for writing/recording has to be a good thing.

All the best for a fast recovery and looking forward to all the new songs.

ROG.
Posted By: SILVERBACK Re: Hip Replacement - Steve Young - 06/29/13 05:59 PM
Stay the course Steve!!

I had my left hip replaced last Sept and my right one replaced 3 months later in December... At roughly 9 and 6 months post op, I'm getting around better than I have for years... Even better than the return of mobility, I'm no longer living with the severe arthritis pain that pretty much had me down and out!

New hips on a 1951 chassis - has worked fine for me!

Expect some "good" and "bad" days in your recovery process... do your re-hab... eat lots of ice cream (that last one might not be great advice, but it works for me!)

Keep the ice bag handy for the swelling days - -

I used my "down" time to get a lot better acquainted with BIAB and many other PC-based audio programs. The internet is a wonderful source of info!

Good luck!
© PG Music Forums