PG Music Home
My birthday was last week And this is how I celebrated musically. With an attempt at 'poetry':

Last week, to celebrate my happy birthday
we drove to West Palm, stopped at the VA

To the hospital, in the nursing home
where the wheelchair bound vets, live and roam

No talk about money, we didn't take any
but our rewards, were good and plenty

We played for an hour, then a little more
for the gentlemen, crowding the floor

They clapped, and laughed, some had tears in their eyes
and when it was done, we met some great guys

This is the second time, we volunteered here
and they've invited us back, to do it next year

The Stuart Elks made all, the arrangements for us
we had all the fun, they did all the fuss

To all the vets, who served yesterday
we're happy to have helped, brighten your day

It was great, and the warm reception from the vets was a great birthday present for me.

Notes
So proud of you, Bob.

Not only as a veteran, but as a wee Orishman trapped within a bent and broken body.
Way to go Notes, ya really got to be there to experience the enjoyment these old soldiers get from a little music and a little attention. Did I say "attention"? sorry, never yell that in an old vet's home!

As Russ says Good On You!

later,
Thanks Don and Danny,

When I was 18, I was shuttled to Miami with a busload of other young guys for our mandatory physical exam for the selective service (draft).

I wanted to join the Air Force Band. I was first sax in the all-state band 3 years in a row - and although the honor goes to the alto player by default, I got it playing tenor. So I figured I had a good chance at the band.

Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately) I had chronic bronchitis as a youth, and I had just gotten over an attack before the physical. When the doc listened to my lungs he asked me some questions about the bronchitis, and passed me on to the next station (it was like an assembly line).

When the draft board classification came, I was classified 4F - unfit for service.

So I do small things like this as my contribution to those who served.

While I don't agree with everything my government asks our men and women in uniform to do, I have the utmost appreciation for those who risk making the ultimate sacrifice to do our country's bidding.

It's rewarding for me as well as the audience, and I highly recommend others to volunteer. If you don't know how, contact a local Elk's lodge. They did all the leg and phone work, we just had to show up and play.

Bob
Bob, you are my personal hero for bringing the joys of music to nursing homes. I have witnessed first hand how music makes Alzheimer, Dementia, and end-of-life patients glow with renewed life and hope when they hear the music of their youth on a customized playlist and iPod.

I am discouraged by the lack of interest that I and my niece have been able to generate in The iPod Project. Very disheartening.

An afterthought: My retired Dynavox VMax device is still getting US$5000 on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DynaVox-Vmax-Ser...=item20d59d702a

If nothing else, I will sell it then buy iPod knock-offs from China and give them to patients here.
If anyone else wants to donate some time to the vets, it's easy and personally rewarding. Here's what you do
  • Make sure you have a little material for the WWII and Korea vets and a lot for the Nam vets, as is the age group that are mostly in the nursing home (we met two 90+ year old's who served in WWII)
  • Contact your local Elk's lodge. The Elk's have veterans service as one of their main interests. They can provide all the logistics and coordination - all you have to do is agree on the date and show up
  • Show up, play for an hour or so, have fun, and share a good day with some deserving people

It doesn't take a lot to spread the joy, and if you are like Leilani and I, you will get as much out of it as the vets do.

The first time I did this, I thought it would be depressing to play for a bunch of wheelchair-bound people. But I was completely wrong. Sitting on those chairs are some very interesting people -- people who might not have use of their legs, but have some very good brains in their heads. Talking with them after the show was great.

As a pro, I don't play for free for just anybody, and definitely not for someone who is making a profit on my performance.

But if I believe in the cause, and it isn't a profit-making venture, I am happy to donate some time. It's a good way to give a little back.

And serving those who served us just seems right.
That is a great birthday present to you and to the vets.

Our wedding band, when we were together, has played at our local vets nursing home. They were the only free jobs we played.
Good for you Mario!

I've also done a few benefits for fellow musicians who had serious medical problems - (as most of us are uninsured), one to put pressure on the local government officials not to approve a construction project that would have had severe environmental impact for our Indian River Lagoon (one of the most diverse fish nurseries in the USA), one to help Hurricanes Andrew and Katrina victims, and a few others.

It doesn't amount to a lot of free gigs, maybe one or two per year, but if I believe in it, if I think it's not a profit making business in disguise and if it isn't either religions or partisan political, I'll do it.

Sometimes it just feels good to know you've done something to help.

Notes
© PG Music Forums