PG Music Home
Posted By: Kemmrich Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/03/13 03:29 PM
I heard about it a few months ago and I finally signed up and am going to do a set this Saturday morning. Most of the songs are BIAB tunes that I am having to re-learn as simple guitar/vocal tunes. Dang, it's hard to interesting with just one guitar and one voice (maybe it's my guitar and voice -- ha, ha!).

The particulars: StreetJelly: 10am EDT Saturday Sept 7th: Time and Date Converter

I'll be doing around a 35 minute set (11 songs).
Set List for Saturday 9/7, All songs can be found at Kevin @ Soundclick , except as noted.

01 Little Bit of Lovin'
02 Hey, Hey
03 This is Her Weekend
04 I Think I found Love
05 Connection
06 You Start Things Spinning
07 West Texas Girl: http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=7336031
08 Lemonade Stand: Unreleased
09 We Chose The Road
10 Shout It out: Unreleased
11 Angels and Devils Never Agree

If you get a chance, stop by and throw virtual tomatoes at me!

Kevin
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/06/13 11:39 PM
No takers yet, huh? I think solo folks here with and w/o BIAB would make a splash over there. I am still practicing for my 10am EDT slot for tomorrow. There's no telling how I will do (ha, ha).
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/07/13 12:18 AM
Originally Posted By: Kemmrich
No takers yet, huh? I think solo folks here with and w/o BIAB would make a splash over there. I am still practicing for my 10am EDT slot for tomorrow. There's no telling how I will do (ha, ha).

I am going to do my best to listen tomorrow - Break A Leg!

PS: Is there any sign up involved with listening to the acts?

Later,
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/07/13 12:23 AM
Originally Posted By: Danny C.
...Is there any sign up involved with listening to the acts?

I don't think so. You can just go to the site and listen. I think to chat, though, you may need to be a member -- but I am still pretty new over there.

I hope to see you over there.
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/07/13 03:10 AM
I've tried listening but can't find anyone "on air". Am I doing something wrong . . . I bet I am!:>

Later,
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/07/13 04:41 AM
I plan on tuning in but the first time a song goes past 3:34 I am out of there!! grin
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/07/13 11:05 AM
DannyC: No, you are OK. There are a lot of times when no one is on the air.

Eddie: Since there are no lead breaks and other instruments, no song goes over 3:34! OK, none of them went over 3:34 with the extra instruments (ha, ha). Having said all that, I really need to learn how to do interesting things on the guitar to make the solo act more interesting. Some riffs and fills are needed. I have a few, but I need a lot more!

I hope you all get to stop by.
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/07/13 01:43 PM
Going on in 15 minutes -- hope to see a couple of you there: http://www.streetjelly.com
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/07/13 01:59 PM
Kevin's on Right Now.... Go see him - it's very cool!!!!!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/07/13 02:01 PM
Bumping this again....
Posted By: DrDan Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/07/13 02:12 PM
Very cool - enjoying the mellow sounds right now.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/07/13 02:22 PM
Don - sorry to keep bumping you, but just for this hour, this should be at top - so everyone goes to see and hear Kevin playing...

GO NOW!!!
Posted By: DrDan Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/07/13 02:24 PM

http://www.streetjelly.com/KevinEmmrich
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/07/13 02:30 PM
One more time....
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/07/13 02:32 PM
Geez Don!....
Posted By: DrDan Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/07/13 02:40 PM
40 minute morning concert - very very cool!
Posted By: Brallan Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/07/13 02:55 PM
Haven't been on here for a long time, but glad I tuned in this morning... caught your last two songs, Kev.

Nice work... you are truly getting prolific. What impressed me the most is how relaxed you seem (the guy that's on right now keeps wiping his sweaty palms on his jeans). Keep us posted... I bet you will entice (incite?) others on here to join you.

(I like your lemonade stand song)
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/07/13 03:05 PM
Floyd, jazzmandan and Brallan:

Thanks for stopping on by!! I made a few flubs here and there and missed a few notes, but at this stage of the game, that is where I am. All in all, I thought I did about as good as I could have expected. I got over-confident on that Lemonade song -- I messed that one up (ha, ha). Thanks for the support!!!

I expect to see some BIAB'ers there in the future!

Floyd, did you notice I implemented most of your suggestions into Devils and Angels?
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/07/13 04:15 PM
Kevin,

You did great! A nice set and you were comfortable through the whole thing. Had the feeling of you inviting us into your living room for a casual listen.

I was so wrapped up in listening to you that I forgot to pay attention to whether you had changed Angels at all until half way through it. LOL - by then it was too late, really, so it must have been fairly seamless...

Great job, man!

floyd
Hi Kev
I popped in and had a listen. Struggled a bit with my slow internet connection but did hear most of it. Wanted to give a virtual clap but wasn't registered so couldn't. Very Nice ! well done
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/07/13 07:13 PM
Kevin,

I missed you but I see you will be on again on this date and time, Sat, Sep 14, 2013, 8:30 AM CDT. Is this correct?

Edited: How can I tell who is on air?

Thanks,
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/08/13 12:14 PM
jo: If you have a slow connection, I think the sound will keep up (I hope), but there is no chance for the video. I hope it was OK for you.

Danny C: Yea, I'll be doing another early show next week. I will try and schedule something for the other time zone folks. 6:30 am is tough on our west coasters!

Any performance critiques or improvement suggestions from those who watched?
I didn't catch you but I did sign up. it'll be a while before I do a set. need a webcam etc. and to move my gear around.
I didn't read all the rules but can I use tracks and also do covers?
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/08/13 12:46 PM
Originally Posted By: silvertones
I didn't catch you but I did sign up. it'll be a while before I do a set. need a webcam etc. and to move my gear around.
I didn't read all the rules but can I use tracks and also do covers?

That's great! I've seen other folks use backing tracks, so it seems like an acceptable practice. I am not set up for that yet, but I want to do that in the future. My a/d device doesn't act as a mixer!

They pay the licensing fees to BMI and ASCAP, so covers are just fine also.
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/08/13 02:58 PM
I think I am going to do another set tonight at 7pm EDT. OK, it's the same set, so if you saw it yesterday, feel free to ignore me (ha, ha)!
Hi Kevin. I am very keen to sign up. I hope my internet connection is going to stand up....being in Africa we don't have the best broadband. I think I will sign up and then do a test. I am not too sure how to find out exactly how fast my DSL line is.
Regards
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/09/13 10:56 AM
I would think (hope) that the audio will be OK, but the video might lag a bit. If you have DSL you should be just fine audio-wise. Just let everyone know that you have a slow connection and the video might be choppy.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/09/13 11:18 AM
Kevin,
one the StreetJelly site I saw a DOWNLOAD button... do you need some proprietary software to broadcast your performance?

I've been at work every time you've performed so far, but I've watched others and its an interesting concept. Indeed, it's a study in stage presence... watching people fumble around and waste their whole time slot is eye-opening for anyone who ever intends to get up on stage in front of a crowd.
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/09/13 11:32 AM
Pat: Is it a flash download? if not, that "download" is advertising something.

I have my two guitars tuned-up and ready to go, a capo and water within reach and my set list loaded and on-screen. I hope I don't fumble around too much (ha, ha).

I agree with you, when folks are searching for things to do, it diminishes the performance. It should be 1,2,3 .. Go!
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/09/13 11:49 AM
Reading thru the FAQ and other information on the site I saw a blurb that said "LIVE MUSIC ONLY, NO RECORDINGS"

does that ban include backing tracks? I didn't see a specific statement to that effect. But nobody I've seen so far has USED backing tracks...
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/09/13 12:01 PM
I've seen performers using backing tracks. You just can't record a video and play that.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/09/13 12:04 PM
Cool! And you can do covers too! That seals it for me!

I'm off work today and tomorrow... will you be performing either of those two days?
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/09/13 12:14 PM
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
Cool! And you can do covers too! That seals it for me!

I'm off work today and tomorrow... will you be performing either of those two days?

Probably not. I need to practice some more and add some guitar work to spice up the songs. I think once I have a couple of sets ready, I'll play 2 or 3 times a week. It is fun, for sure. I also try and catch at least part of a show or two every day.

Let us know when you are going on!
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/09/13 12:39 PM
thanks for posting the link Kevin.. I have a feeling you've a set a very large ball in motion. It wouldn't surprise me to see a BUNCH of forum members performing there.

As you noted, the format lends itself to what we do.

Already Silvertones and Jo are gearing up. I want to see a lot of others here, but I won't start naming names for fear of leaving one out and accidentally offending a friend. But if you're reading this.. assume that I want to see YOU performing !
Posted By: Sundance Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/09/13 02:00 PM
Kevin,

I missed your shows sorry but I did watch some of your videos and enjoyed them. I took a look a few acts on air last evening. It looks like fun.

Could somebody explain to me how you would set it up to use backing tracks?

Thanks.
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/09/13 02:10 PM
thanks for posting the link Kevin.. I have a feeling you've a set a very large ball in motion. It wouldn't surprise me to see a BUNCH of forum members performing there. As you noted, the format lends itself to what we do. ...

I certainly hope so! It would be great to see some of you in a "live" setting. The chances of us catching your act in person is pretty slim!

Originally Posted By: Sundance
... I missed your shows sorry but I did watch some of your videos and enjoyed them. I took a look a few acts on air last evening. It looks like fun.

Could somebody explain to me how you would set it up to use backing tracks? ...

Since my audio device passed on the mic sound so easily, I though I could crank up sonar and play those backing tracks and play along -- NOPE! The web cam only got the live mic sound. I think you need a usb mixer like this or this. That way whatever goes into the mixer will come out as a stereo channel via your USB. At least that is how I understand it!
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/09/13 03:49 PM
The site indicates that there are instructions somewhere about how to do this.. but I couldn't find them. Has anybody else found them? If so, post the link.

I created my profile today, but its all lies. There's no way I'm saying anything remotely true about myself. At this age truth doesn't market well.

I notice Silvertones has also created a profile. I looked for Jos but apparently she hasn't created hers yet
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/09/13 04:13 PM
here we go: instruction videos

http://www.streetjelly.com/videos
Gonna set up my profile soon......

Josie I am going to try using my ordinary old mixer. Mic the voice and mic the guitar in separate channels and then use my ipod in another channel as input for the backing tracks. Will let you know how I do with that!
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/09/13 08:10 PM
That contest was over in July.

yeah, which is why I just deleted that post.

on another note:
I hope that anybody who decides to go live will post a blurb here beforehand.

In fact, let us know once you've signed up and created a profile. If another member puts you on their favorite list they'll automatically be notified if you schedule a performance.

Although it looks like you can perform without being scheduled. Today a couple of dudes who weren't on the schedule went on the air. In the case of spontaneous performance, I don't know if the favorite list gets notified or not

Posted By: pghboemike Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/09/13 08:17 PM
Quote:
hope my internet connection is going to stand up

test your internet speed with this http://www.speedtest.net/
Posted By: pghboemike Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/09/13 10:27 PM
on using backing tracks

just to cover the base sent this email to their support staff

while i would be playing my guitar and singing live am i permitted to use backing tracks created with band in a box and mixed in along with my live performance on streetjelly

got this response from Frank Podlaha at streetjelly

Yes, Mike. Backtracks, looping devices, etc. are all acceptable on StreetJelly. The "no recordings" headline means no full playback of mp3s, videos, etc.

Rock on!
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/09/13 10:52 PM
Mike,
does this mean you'll be appearing live sometime soon?

I spent most of the day perusing the site, reading profiles (many of which have embedded videos) and watching a few "on the air" presentations. There are some talented people on that site... but I think the people from this forum will compare favorably to the vast majority of contenders getting up there with an acoustic guitar.

Y'all have put lots of love into your songs, and PGMusic products have put this group ahead of the curve (while users of other software are still trying to finish the song, y'all finished your songs easily then spent the rest of your time learning the tricks of mixing and mastering)

You all have excellent products, and more than a few are seasoned performers. I can't wait to watch the PGMusic forum members carve out their own niche on StreetJelly.

And it would be great if we gave PGMusic a plug or two at every performance.
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/09/13 11:45 PM
Mike: Thanks for the confirmation on the backing tracks. Always good to know the official policy!

Pat: Although I have heard folks use backing tracks there, I haven't seen anyone do a tightly integrated show. I think that would be interesting for sure. As always some will love it and some will bemoan the use of technology (ha, ha).

I, for one, would love to hear some jazz sets. And, of course, the singer/songwriters with full productions. ... and covers! It might be nice to do a couple of full production numbers and then one "naked" one (figuratively speaking) for contrast.

I think I mentioned the BIAB product and the forum at both shows I did. I hope to see some BIAB'ers there soon. I see that Pat and Silvertones signed up. More please!
Reading thru the FAQ and other information on the site I saw a blurb that said "LIVE MUSIC ONLY, NO RECORDINGS"

does that ban include backing tracks? I didn't see a specific statement to that effect. But nobody I've seen so far has USED backing tracks...

I asked them that very question:
Yes, absolutely you can use backing tracks, loopers, etc. When we say, "no recordings," we really mean that folks just don't play their mp3's/or premade videos and not perform live.

Have a great show!

Frank Podlaha
StreetJelly.com
Kevin,

I was only able to catch a little bit of your set the other night. Good job bro.

I'm curious, what is your internet speed?

speedtest.net

if you're not sure of the speed.
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/10/13 01:20 AM
Originally Posted By: bobcflatpicker
...I was only able to catch a little bit of your set the other night. Good job bro. I'm curious, what is your internet speed?

Thanks for the listen!

I ran the speedtest a few times and had quite different download speeds, but the upload speed was around 1.33 mbps. I guess this is a B-/C score against the average. I should be faster, I'll have to see why I am slow.
I would check out some of you guys performing using your recorded backing tracks out of curiosity to see how that works out with BIAB. But personally I'd prefer to see/hear a completely live performance even if it is only one person and one guitar.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/10/13 02:07 AM
Hey Kevin, I'd like to hear someone on there who is already using backing tracks. Do you remember who you saw? So far the ones I've heard were totally acoustic or just using a harmonizer.

So I signed up. LOL! Have no idea what I'm doing or when I'll be ready for on air.... got some equipment issues to solve first...
www.streetjelly.com/josiebeck I'll keep you posted.

Meanwhile I'm looking forward to seeing more of ya'll.
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/10/13 10:10 AM
Hey Kevin, I'd like to hear someone on there who is already using backing tracks. Do you remember who you saw? So far the ones I've heard were totally acoustic or just using a harmonizer.

So I signed up. LOL! Have no idea what I'm doing or when I'll be ready for on air.... got some equipment issues to solve first...
www.streetjelly.com/josiebeck I'll keep you posted.

Meanwhile I'm looking forward to seeing more of ya'll.

Here are three acts that I have seen using backing tracks in the last couple of days: LanaEve, Cecilee and Kurt. They don't use them on every song, though. Maybe Kurt does, but mostly rhythm type stuff.

I think the guy using just the vocal harmonizer with the guitar and vocal didn't work for me. I don't like harmonizers unless they are blended in somehow.

Great to see that you signed up!
Don't think I am going to be able to do this. My Internet speed is appalling! 0.5 Mbps!
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/10/13 01:54 PM
Originally Posted By: jo131
Don't think I am going to be able to do this. My Internet speed is appalling! 0.5 Mbps!

yeah, mine's surprisingly low too... barely over 1.06Mbps Hmmmmm
I'm going to try it anyway. Its free, so there's nothing to lose if something goes wrong. I figure at worst the picture will stay the same for brief periods until it catches up aqain... I've seen that happen quite a bit on other peoples' shows, and it isn't particularly a show-stopper.
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/10/13 11:27 PM
jo: set up a time to test and I can view it and see how it looks and sounds. I guess you are 6 hours later than me over in South Africa (It is Tuesday, 7:30pm EDT here and it is 1:30 am Wed in Johannesburg.

Hey, How did Silvertones do 3 performances already without me knowing about it? I check pretty regularly!
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/11/13 03:20 AM

Hey, How did Silvertones do 3 performances already without me knowing about it? I check pretty regularly!

I logged in an caught him red-handed trying to dial in his setup with nobody looking. Apparently he came back twice more after I left. They may not have been full-blown performances... maybe just live test sessions to see if he had things the way he wants them yet.
Posted By: pghboemike Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/11/13 04:15 AM
Mike,
does this mean you'll be appearing live sometime soon?

probably not real soon as there are setup issues and practice requirements but i'm working an a presentation ideas and would like to incorporate this technique
Record your Performance while Streaming
Posted By: Sundance Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/11/13 04:59 AM
Interesting but be sure to read the blog comments at the bottom about covers. smile
Posted By: pghboemike Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/11/13 05:53 AM
Interesting but be sure to read the blog comments at the bottom about covers. smile

good catch

for more on this topic see this post

fyi-Posting Cover Songs on YouTube: Music Licensing Law Explained

jo: set up a time to test and I can view it and see how it looks and sounds. I guess you are 6 hours later than me over in South Africa (It is Tuesday, 7:30pm EDT here and it is 1:30 am Wed in Johannesburg.

Thanks Kevin. Am a bit busy at the moment...kids...etc...I may have time tomorrow evening SA time. If you are 6 hours behind then it would be mid afternoon on Thursday?
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/11/13 10:49 AM
Thanks Kevin. Am a bit busy at the moment...kids...etc...I may have time tomorrow evening SA time. If you are 6 hours behind then it would be mid afternoon on Thursday?

That sounds about right. No rush, whenever you want to give it a try, just send me an email: kemmrich @ jkt9000.com (remove spaces, of course)

Testing Kevin.
I'm about ready. I'll post a schedule.
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/13/13 07:08 PM
I am doing an early morning set tomorrow at 9:30am EDT: Time Converter

Set #2. I dropped 7 songs and added 7 other ones in. I don't think these 7 "new" ones are second rate, though (because you have to have first rate ones before you have second rate -- ha, ha).

01 Hey, Hey
02 Popcorn's 10 cents
03 Carol Anne (titled Hey Yea at soundclick)
04 Walkin' Never Bothered Me
05 Can I Be Your Lover
06 Blow Your Life Away
07 I Think I found Love
08 My Most Trusted Friend
09 You Start Things Spinning
10 First and Last One on Your Mind
11 Little Bit of Lovin'
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/13/13 07:21 PM
Kevin,
the streetjelly FAQ (under "can I play covers?") says there is a way at the broadcast screen to enter the covers being played (so they can pay the royalties)

I've searched, but I don't see any such place, unless they mean to enter them in the chat box. Do you know?

PS, its cool that you added links to the songs in your set list
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/13/13 07:47 PM
... the streetjelly FAQ (under "can I play covers?") says there is a way at the broadcast screen to enter the covers being played (so they can pay the royalties)

I've searched, but I don't see any such place, unless they mean to enter them in the chat box. Do you know?...

When you actually start broadcasting, there is a place to enter the title and writers at the bottom of the screen. I think you do it one by one as you play them (?). You can do it for your songs, too if you are registered with a PRO (ASCAP, BMI, ...)
Posted By: pghboemike Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/14/13 03:45 PM
enjoyed your performance today
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/14/13 05:03 PM
Thanks Mike!
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/14/13 08:14 PM
Was there a lag between the video and audio? It seems like there shouldn't be -- but one guy that just caught my last song says there was!
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/19/13 02:22 PM
Joanne Cooper has a streetjelly set scheduled for Sat, Sep 21, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT -- she goes by JosieC at streetjelly.

Be there to support her! (OK, I think it is 10am EDT!)

Still waiting on Pat and Silvertones to schedule their first big gigs!
Joanne Cooper has a streetjelly set scheduled for Sat, Sep 21, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT -- she goes by JosieC at streetjelly.

I've been ready but had to tear my stuff down for a gig last sunday.Haven't set back up yet. I take the oppertunity to clean house when stuff is down. Playing tonight,Fri,Sat,Sun next tues & thurs with bands. Then fri,sat & sun with bands.
It'll happen.Just need to set back up.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/19/13 03:36 PM

I'm in the endless loop of "wait! Gotta fix one more thing first..."

Yes, I know.
Thanks guys. Hope you join me. I am going to work through my normal repertoire so it will include some covers and some originals and I will be using backing tracks. Saturdays set will be all covers:

Where have all the flowers gone
Leaving on a jet plane
If tomorrow never comes
Jessie
Peaceful easy feeling
Amazed
First cut is the deepest
Still the same
Against the wind
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/21/13 11:48 AM
Don't forget: JosieC (johanna or jo131 ) is going on at 10am EDT this morning. I am doing a short set at 9:30am as a warmup!
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/21/13 02:22 PM
jo131: I think all of your BT issues are caused by the webcam mic (if you are recording through that). Either use a better microphone or send everything through the mixer (guitar and vocal included) and let the mixer send the stereo sound to streetjelly via the USB. You would have to wear headphones, though, to hear everything!

Your vocals were always just fine though. ... and the BT breakups didn't detract too much.

Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/21/13 02:55 PM
Just back from Jo's and Kevin's StreetJelly performances.. it was a ton of fun.. I'd love to see more Biabbers there, as the addition of backing tracks makes for a much better show than what the average streetJelly performer has to offer.

Kevin is one of the few non-trax performers who made an outstanding performance, but then he really has the personality for that particular medium.

JosieBeck and FloydJane were also there in the audience, so it was like a family reunion.

Thanks guys . Enjoyed it! Quite difficult to read the comments when you are busy singing. I will try and sort out my sound with Kevin' advice and do another set before I head off next Thursday. Thanks to Pat, Kevin, Floyd and Josie who were there to support.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/21/13 03:30 PM
I was viewer #11 but I tuned in late. So sorry. It appeared that you had a lot of fun. I won't miss your next offering.
Posted By: jphillips Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/21/13 03:37 PM
Joanne:

I caught about 90% of your show. Good job. It looked like you were having fun.

Good luck on your trip to Rhode Island.

John
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/21/13 04:10 PM
Josie, it may be prudent to bone up on Rhode Island speak.

Here's an example: "Once they was two boids sittin on the coib jus choipin ana boipin and along come Moitle and Hoimin an boy waz dey ever pertoibed."

A shake/malt is called a frape or cabinet. They pak the caw in the cawbahn.

Source: My brother-in-law from Providence, RI.
Don. What on earth language is that. I'm not going to Wales!
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/21/13 04:31 PM
Josie, I know that RI will love you as much as we do here.

I caught Seger's Against The Wind, one of my favorite Seger songs, and I truly enjoyed it. Thank you.

Be sure to try their fish-n-chips. "Chips" are deep fried potatoes here in the States. You will get Atlantic Cod in RI, not Halibut. Delicious. The seafood is unforgettable.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/21/13 05:48 PM
English (American) translation:

"Once there were two birds sitting on a curb chirping and burping. Along came Myrtle and Herman and boy, were they perturbed."

I think that the internet has moved us nearer to a common English. Our mutual UK friend, Hayley Oliver, sings like a Southern Yank and then I heard her speaking voice. I was blown away by the difference.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/22/13 01:16 PM
You can watch streetjelly shows without joining, but non-members can't use the chat window to communicate with the performers. The chat window is fun, well worth the price of membership (free)

also, once you're a member, you can make somebody like Jo or Kevin a FAVORITE... in which case, you'll be notified by email any time they schedule an appearance

But even if you don't join, one of the forum members who is also a jellyfish will post scheduled performances of other forum members. So if you see that this thread has been bumped to the top of the forum, check to see if it contains new performance dates
Posted By: jphillips Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/22/13 03:09 PM
Joanne:

Just caught most of your show on Jelly this morning (8 am here)
Nice job. I enjoyed it.
The sound was improved from yesterday. What technical things did you do to improve it?

Best,

John
Hi John. Just changed the cable from the iPod to the mixer. I think the other one was faulty. I am also going to try wearing ear phones next time so that I can hear the mix directly from mixer. I have just been using speakers. This should give me a better idea of what is being broadcast. By the way, I have put "City of New Orleans" into my repertoire so let me know if you are online next time and I will play it for you. Regards
Hi All
I have scheduled another performance before I head off. It is on Wednesday. The time in US Eastern 12 noon. (I know ya'all at work at that time but it is the best I can do)

I will be doing a couple of requests from the last time and a couple more folk favourites and originals from my repertoire.

1. Against the wind – For Don
2. I will always be here - Floyd
3. City of New Orleans - John Phillips and Josie (I saw a video of Judy Collins covering this one)
4. I hope you Dance - Lee Anne Womack - For Pat
5. Memories of East Texas – Michele Shocked (Backing track made in BIAB)
6. Anchorage - Michele Shocked (Backing track made in BIAB)
7. Loving arms (Dixie Chick version) – one of my favourties
8. Back Home again - John Denver
9. Candle in the Wind – Elton John
10. Too Scared – Original (Backing track made in BIAB)

Hope to see you all there!
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/23/13 01:51 PM
I work night shift, so I should be in the audience again (if I remember!)

Thanks for doing the LeeAnn Womack song!
Here's another request: Landslide
(Either the Fleetwood mac or Dixie Chicks version)

FWIW, even people who work day shift may be able to watch on their cell phones or work computers during lunch break, since you are playing at noon
Posted By: pghboemike Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/23/13 02:01 PM
some links from their blog that may be helpful

Music Transposition Chart

Record your Performance while Streaming

with the understanding that Unless you have specific license to rebroadcast a cover, you can’t just record anything and float it around the web. Recording yourself while streaming is best left for your own originals. The web-licenses that StreetJelly has with BMI/ASCAP/SECAP does not extend to any performance recorded and redistributed from SJ.

see this post http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads...true#Post214625

Using WebcamMax with StreetJelly and Google Chrome
I'm going to try to do my first broadcast on Friday evening if the stars align. I'll keep you posted.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/25/13 01:45 PM
I'll be there, John.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/25/13 04:56 PM
Just watched Josie Cooper's broadcast. She's phenomenal. Missed my dedication but it couldn't be helped. Thanks Josie.
Also watched Josie. enjoyed it thoroughly. She lives about 30km from me and I had to wait for a webcast from over the water to see her? Small world.....
Posted By: jphillips Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/25/13 05:25 PM
Joanne:

I saw most of your show this morning. Another good job.

Thanks for doing "City of New Orleans." I really enjoyed it.

I watch but I don't sign in at Jelly.

John
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/25/13 10:12 PM
To all forum participants on Street Jelly:

Guys I have been trying but failing miserably to get to the computer in time for your shows. My promise is to stay with it until I do.

Later,
I'm going to try to do my first broadcast on Friday evening if the stars align. I'll keep you posted.

Friday 7:30PM
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/26/13 10:35 PM
John,

I am assuming that is 7:30 PM Eastern Time?

Later,
John,

Later,

yes. Eastern daylight time.
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/27/13 12:32 PM
I'll be there!
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/27/13 01:48 PM
I'll be there!

me too!

Hey Kevin, any chance of persuading you to do an impromptu 7pm show to warm up for John?
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/27/13 01:52 PM
My wife finishes piano lessons at 7pm -- so I can start after that (I can't be caterwauling downstairs while a lesson is going on!). I'll sign up for 7:05 and see what happens.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/27/13 01:55 PM
John,

Later,

Danny (and any other forum members who may come to watch John)

I encourage all of you to sign up and log in so you can use the chat screen to tell John how well he's doing.. or to make wisecracks.. not that anybody on this forum would ever make wisecracks or anything...

;-)

the chat window is fun.
Hey, maybe Peter will even show up.. we all know he promotes fun...
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/27/13 02:07 PM
My wife finishes piano lessons at 7pm -- so I can start after that (I can't be caterwauling downstairs while a lesson is going on!). I'll sign up for 7:05 and see what happens.

cool! Thanks!
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/27/13 08:15 PM
Hey... Johns performance isn't showing up on streetjelly anymore! Did he cancel??

update:
yeah, John cancelled. He's been waiting for nice weather to do some outdoor painting, and today has been perfect weather in NC.. so he's been painting all day
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/27/13 08:52 PM
Pat, y'don't means t'told me. I just made a batch of popped corn and cappuccino. (Well, my aide, Mo did).
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/27/13 08:54 PM
kevin will still be on at 7:05, so don't lose the popcorn yet!
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/27/13 09:26 PM
Dang, I was looking forward to his show -- but you gotta make hay (or paint) while the sun is shining.

I'll still go on at 7:05!
Sorry folks. I just got in. Haven't even showered yet.I also played last night so it was a late night and somewhat early morning.If it was my house I would have just taken an early quit time but it's for some one else and need/want to be finished before they come back for a fall visit. Vacation home.You know how those Floridians are?
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/28/13 12:15 AM
The fans are seated, Kev. Is this your imitation of "No show Jones"?
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/28/13 12:23 AM
Originally Posted By: Don Gaynor
The fans are seated, Kev. Is this your imitation of "No show Jones"?

??

Kevin did play , at the time he announced. We were wondering if you were lurking in the audience but not talking...
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/28/13 12:23 AM
Sorry folks. I just got in. Haven't even showered yet.I also played last night so it was a late night and somewhat early morning.If it was my house I would have just taken an early quit time but it's for some one else and need/want to be finished before they come back for a fall visit. Vacation home.You know how those Floridians are?

any chance of a performance on Sat or Sunday?
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/28/13 12:29 AM
Typical of me. I [*****]-umed Central Time Zone. Nuts! Wat I'm gonna do with all this popcorn?
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/28/13 12:54 AM
I normally use a timezone converter message when I schedule something to avoid those types of things. But this was sort of a quick thing. You didn't miss much, though -- ha, ha. In any case, I'll be playing again in the near future.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/29/13 05:38 PM
well,

after watching StreetJelly for a while to get a feel for what can go right and what can go wrong, I'm just about ready to jump.

I notice that a common problem is room echo, so I've installed acoustic foam in my studio to minimize that

I also think that when the background is somebody's kitchen, it detracts from the overall feel of a live act (for me, anyway)

also, web cams freak out if the room light is too bright or reflective...

... so I bought a long pull-down blind and painted it flat black to give me a non-reflective neutral background that neatly rolls up after the show.

I also find that my attention span lasts about 3 songs... so I plan to play several short sets of 3 in a weeks time rather than one long set less frequently. That way maybe I can ditch this black hole of preparation procrastination and get on with it.

I'd like to do a sound check tomorrow (Monday) at around noon eastern time. If somebody could keep SJ on in the background to help me set levels that would be very helpful.

Unscheduled/impromptu performances to follow at the same time throughout the week, as I get new sets of 3 songs ready.

Once I have a few impromptu performances under my belt, I'll start scheduling the time slots through SJ's interface.
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/29/13 09:43 PM
Let us know at least 15 minutes in advance when you want to test the settings. If I check in time, I can help.

... I also find that my attention span lasts about 3 songs... so I plan to play several short sets of 3 in a weeks time rather than one long set less frequently. ...

This is probably the #1 lesson that every one has to learn!!! Once you have heard one song from most artists, you pretty much have heard what their sound is like and everything else you hear after that is about the same!!! Yes, there are a bunch of acts that can make a 2-hour set sound fantastic and exciting -- but most of us can't. So don't go on and on and on. Plus try and make your songs and sets varied (the best you can).

Heck, I can only do 8-10 songs in a row because I start getting bored with my own stuff. Pat's choice of three is a good number -- but 30 minutes is also a good goal.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/29/13 10:09 PM
Quote:
Let us know at least 15 minutes in advance when you want to test the settings. If I check in time, I can help.

it will definitely be at noon eastern time.

I probably won't log on here to give 15 min notice. This is the only notice there will be.

Quote:
Pat's choice of three is a good number -- but 30 minutes is also a good goal.

I figure 3 at a time will let me go for quite a few performances without repeating any songs. Also, its easier to prepare 3 songs than it is to feel stage-ready with a whole set. Just trying to go around the obstacles that have been stopping me from diving in.
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/29/13 11:09 PM
... I'd like to do a sound check tomorrow (Monday) at around noon eastern time. If somebody could keep SJ on in the background to help me set levels that would be very helpful. ...

I breezed right over that statement. I'll see if I can be there at 12 noon EDT.
... I'd like to do a sound check tomorrow (Monday) at around noon eastern time. If somebody could keep SJ on in the background to help me set levels that would be very helpful. ...

I breezed right over that statement. I'll see if I can be there at 12 noon EDT.

Me too.
Supposed to rain. If I get my act together maybe I'll go after Pat.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/30/13 04:12 AM
I'm off tomorrow so I'll catch you Pat. Thanks for putting EASTERN time.

Even on the scheduled performances, I REALLY wish they'd put EST or CST on the time in the little window so I'd know when it's on here - it's too easy to get confused......

Three songs is okay for testing and to get your feet wet but I think it's kinda short for your real act. That's what - less than 15 minutes. I've seen people not get any viewers for the first 15 minutes and then I check back and they've got five, ten, twenty plus that gradually trickle in over the course of their show. Just my observations. I think 30 - 40 minutes is good. From what I've seen more people watch at night. Dang it, I missed Brother Dan, I really wanted to see him....forgot....drat.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/30/13 01:30 PM
Quote:
Three songs is okay for testing and to get your feet wet but I think it's kinda short for your real act.

yeah, you're right... it is...
but since this is a new concept, I'm looking at it with no boundaries and no expectations tied to other types of live performances. For me, this is the only way I'll be able to go live multiple times per week with new songs. 3 songs is about what I can retain at one time. (I may learn today that I CAN'T retain 3 songs...)

Quote:
That's what - less than 15 minutes. I've seen people not get any viewers for the first 15 minutes and then I check back and they've got five, ten, twenty plus that gradually trickle in over the course of their show. Just my observations. I think 30 - 40 minutes is good.

<OLD_MAN>
brain...not...last...30...minutes...any...more
</OLD_MAN>

Quote:
From what I've seen more people watch at night.

yep, they definitely do. But I work at night, and I'm hoping that lunch time will be the one time of MY day when people might check streetjelly while they eat their lunch...

Quote:
Dang it, I missed Brother Dan, I really wanted to see him....forgot....drat.

What??? Dan performed already?? I didn't even see him as one of the new members... I'll have to track down his ID and add it to my favorites list

PS, thanks in advance to those who will help me dial in the settings. Glad I did a test first... it took me 4 hours last night to figure out why I wasn't getting sound thru to SJ
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/30/13 01:45 PM
Who is Brother Dan -- is he a BIAB'er? I caught a little bit of his show. He seems pretty talented!
Posted By: Sundance Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/30/13 03:18 PM
@Kevin I don't think so. He has a cool bio on SJ and an unfortunate health condition so I wanted to hear him. Might be a good BIAB convert though - LOL!

@Pat Sounds like you have a good plan for you and that's all that matters. smile
Posted By: Sundance Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/30/13 04:10 PM
Pat,

That was fabulous! Great sound! The only thing and Mike mentioned it too on the chat was that the lighting was just a bit bright.

Did you do those tracks in BIAB? Color me and my husband impressed big time.

Oh and put a stickum on that pick LOL just kidding.
Great job Pat. Good song choices too.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/30/13 04:15 PM
Yeah, great song choices.
Posted By: pghboemike Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/30/13 04:18 PM
outside of setting the bar kinda high for the rest of us it was great

i liked that i could hear your guitar picking something i've noticed is not always true with acoustic sets that use backing tracks

i also like the black backdrop something i'd have to consider to hide the clutter

Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/30/13 04:22 PM
Pat, that was just a tease. I know...now the price goes up!

Seriously, great entertainment, thanks amigo.
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/30/13 04:23 PM
Originally Posted By: pghboemike
outside of setting the bar kinda high for the rest of us it was great...

Ha, ha -- so true! Good set. I would bounce it up to 5 songs minimum. You had a good audience going.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/30/13 04:28 PM
Pat,

That was fabulous! Great sound!

oh, you are so GRACIOUS Josie! No wonder everybody loves you!

Quote:
The only thing and Mike mentioned it too on the chat was that the lighting was just a bit bright.

I wasn't able to read any thing on the chat screen... I was already scrambling just trying to hold onto the confounded pic, and trying to read would have been sensory overload.

Regarding the light.. would you believe the only light in the room was from the computer monitor??? Everything in the room is dark to absorb light and not reflect it... oh wait... must have been my bald spot... its the only reflective surface left... and I can't wear a hat and headphones at the same time ;-)

Quote:

Did you do those tracks in BIAB? Color me and my husband impressed big time.

none of my trax are COMPLETELY Biab. They're frankenstein-trax, made from combinations of Real trax, MIDI, my own playing and also snippets from the actual recording where I can phase them in seamlessly. VEHICLE was a commercial track in its entirety... although there's nothing in it that RealBand couldn't do if you're willing to manually sequence the horns.

Quote:
Oh and put a stickum on that pick LOL just kidding.

believe it or not, I had velcro on the pick and on my thumb... but my thumb got sweaty and you already know how that worked out.

It bugs me to have flubbed solos that I know just because I can't hold the pick. I originally thought the weakness came from a pinched nerve, but its starting to look more like some kind of palsy. If that turns out to be the case... well.. never mind.
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/30/13 04:29 PM
Learn to pick with them fingers!
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/30/13 04:33 PM
Originally Posted By: pghboemike
outside of setting the bar kinda high for the rest of us it was great...

Ha, ha -- so true! Good set. I would bounce it up to 5 songs minimum. You had a good audience going.

FIVE???
but... the 60 year old bladder has its limitations...
wink

I scheduled a Thursday performance at noon again... I'll try for 5 and pick songs that don't have solos that require me to maintain solid control of the pick. The solos USED to be my strength, but now they're a liability.

Life's a bummer and then you die, I guess.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/30/13 04:39 PM
Pat, I didn't catch how many viewers you had. Did you? Excellent performance nonetheless.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/30/13 04:41 PM
There were at least 11.

How about learning to pick using a thumb pick. They can be cumbersome at first, put with practice, it could work...
Posted By: Sundance Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/30/13 04:49 PM
Hope you can do one on the weekend sometime so I can see you again. smile
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/30/13 05:09 PM
Pat, I didn't catch how many viewers you had. Did you? Excellent performance nonetheless.

Don,
I forced myself NOT to look at the chat screen... and now that I see who all was in the audience I'm glad I didn't know or I would have been even more self conscious than I already was. I consider all of the people who have replied in this thread to be heavy hitters, people whose abilities I bow down to, people who intimidate me with what they know and can do.

Originally Posted By: FloydJane
thumb pick...

Good idea... I have many, don't know why it didn't occur to me to use one. But the real problem wasn't dropping the pick, it was lacking the strength in my hand to pick up another one.
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/30/13 10:12 PM
Looks like Silvertones is going to give it another shot at 6:30pm EDT -- 15 minutes from now. Come out and support him if you can. BIAB'ers are taking over (ha, ha).
I'm going to sneak in at 6:30 PM.
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/30/13 10:57 PM
On now -- a little late, but he made it!
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 09/30/13 11:38 PM
John was awesome!
John was awesome!

Thanks Don.
John,

I caught 3 or 4 of your songs and I just wanted to say very well done.
John,

I caught 3 or 4 of your songs and I just wanted to say very well done.

Thanks Bob.
IMPERATIVE.Have the latest Flash Player installed. I forgot this computer.All is well now.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/01/13 03:54 PM
John,
I hate that you waited until I went to work to perform.. but hopefully you'll go live sometime when I'm off.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/01/13 04:00 PM
Thanks to everybody who made observations and suggestions for improving the presentation. I've changed some gear which I think will solve some problems that were pointed out on the test run.

In order to implement the new stuff, I'm bumping the next scheduled appearance from Thursday to Saturday
Hey Pat. Just wanted to let y'all know I'm still here. Where do you have the music you perform posted? I'd like to hear some of your stuff.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/02/13 04:45 PM
Hey, Russ is back! Howdy from Oklahoma, amigo.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/02/13 04:54 PM
Originally Posted By: Russell DeMussel
Hey Pat. Just wanted to let y'all know I'm still here. Where do you have the music you perform posted? I'd like to hear some of your stuff.

first of all, great to see you here again Russel!

I don't have any music posted anywhere because pretty much all music sites have rules about covers, which is all I do. What makes StreetJelly unique is that you can play covers there and THEY pay the royalties!

(aside to all the forumites who have wished in the past for a way to post their cover songs: advertise your performance date&time here, then play your covers on Street Jelly)

so, Russ, the only way to hear any of my stuff is on Street Jelly.

I'm performing this Saturday OCT 5th at:
12 noon Eastern time...
11 AM central time...
10 AM mountain time...
9 AM pacific time...
5 PM greenwich time...

and hopefully every Saturday at noon (eastern time) going forward. You don't have to sign up to listen, but those who sign up can use the chat box

and don't forget that YOU can perform there too! It's like open mic, except online.
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/03/13 02:30 PM
I think I will do a lunchtime set today at 12pm EDT. I only have 26 songs prepared to do in a guitar/vocal format and my set is 11 or 12 songs (so you've probably heard them all before!).

One of these days I will get a mixer and that will open up maybe another 20-30 songs to the repertoire (once I learn them, of course). Until then, it is just a lonely guitar and caterwauling.

StreetJelly
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/05/13 10:15 AM
here's a challenge to the forum members who may try StreetJelly at some point:

I emailed the site owner and asked what the record (to date) of listeners for one broadcast was. He said 101 (somebody had a CD launch party and they advertised on all the social media.)

101 isn't an unbeatable number, especially given the fact that the whole world can access the show if they know about it.

So, your challenge, as people who have cool songs and social media accounts: beat that number!
Posted By: Sundance Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/05/13 02:56 PM
Bumping to remind everyone that Pat is on today!
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/05/13 03:31 PM
Is Pat scheduled for 11:00 Central Time? I don't wanna miss him.
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/05/13 03:35 PM
yes it is 12edt, so it will be 11 central.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/05/13 03:42 PM
I just put it in the shout box.
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/05/13 03:51 PM
I am ready and waiting for you cats today!

No more missing your shows, well for today at least.

Break a leg!

Later
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/05/13 03:55 PM
here's a challenge to the forum members who may try StreetJelly at some point:

I emailed the site owner and asked what the record (to date) of listeners for one broadcast was. He said 101 (somebody had a CD launch party and they advertised on all the social media.)

101 isn't an unbeatable number, especially given the fact that the whole world can access the show if they know about it.

So, your challenge, as people who have cool songs and social media accounts: beat that number!

Pat, I have my doubts based upon the small number of REGULAR contributors active on these forums. What, two dozen, give or take?

I would certainly love to see us those numbers beaten by BBers.

I'd love to see Matt Finley and Josie Beck broadcast their music. I would be certain to tune in.
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/05/13 04:40 PM
Pat: How did it go? I am sorry I missed it, but just couldn't get back in time!
Posted By: Sundance Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/05/13 04:52 PM
There are too numerous to mention people on here that I'd love to see.
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/05/13 05:18 PM
Pat you kicked BUTT!

Later,
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/05/13 05:18 PM
Pat: How did it go?

honestly, I can't tell how it went. Friends and family are inclined to say only the kindest things they can say truthfully, and lots of people said nice things.

But, anybody who has ever watched American Idol is familiar with the person who would have been spared national humiliation if only his/her friends had given them the whole truth about their singing ability. I'm not sure that the things people say after a show are the best indicator of how it went.

Quote:
I am sorry I missed it, but just couldn't get back in time!

no worries, Kevin... I intend to be a regular there, and I'm sure that before long you'll have seen me perform more than enough times

stats: 29 total viewers, max at one time was 19... so I'll need to ramp it up significantly to beat the current record.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/05/13 05:30 PM
Pat you kicked BUTT!

Later,

Thanks Danny... your comments are very important to me because you are doing exactly what I want to do.

As a seasoned pro, do you have any suggestions?
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/05/13 05:34 PM
There are too numerous to mention people on here that I'd love to see.

Everybody on the showcase ought to give it a whirl! Y'all have enough awesome original songs to fill up SJ for the next couple of years!

and those who AREN'T on the showcase because they do covers its the perfect way to let the forum hear your BIAB-created cover trax.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/05/13 05:41 PM
SJ notified me by email but only 3 minutes prior to your broadcast. If I'da been in a wheelchair race with Ida, I'da missed Pat's broadcast. Thanks to Josie's shout I'da and Ida woulda missed it. Thanks, Josie.
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/05/13 06:47 PM
Pat you kicked BUTT!

Later,

Thanks Danny... your comments are very important to me because you are doing exactly what I want to do.

As a seasoned pro, do you have any suggestions?

Well I am "seasoned" for sure, in more ways than one. But regarding your show all I have to say is, if you can do what you did for an hour or so "you can take it on the road right now". Of course the more songs in the playlist the longer duration gigs you can go after.

I like the fact that while you did work the crowd (although virtual) very well you kept a good balance of banter and music. As I say this I am always reminded of a producer friend back in Nashville who used to book for a popular CMT show as he would often comment as to why do most singers, especially songwriters, tend to talk and tell stories when they were hired to sing their songs, not to explain how and why they wrote it in the 1st place.

You had a great balance of give and take with your "ghost" audience, combined with song intros and actual "sanging" time. And I know this does not happen by accident so I know you did some pre-planning before counting off your first tune . . . it worked.

You did good!

Later,
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/05/13 07:20 PM
stats: 29 total viewers, max at one time was 19... so I'll need to ramp it up significantly to beat the current record.

That's a big number -- way to go drawing them in. You must be doing something right!
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/05/13 11:37 PM

That's a big number -- way to go drawing them in. You must be doing something right!

nah.. I just spammed all my friends and relatives with emails telling them to come watch and to tell everybody they know.

when you look at it that way, 29 friends is pretty lame.

Then you have to subtract out the SJ regulars. ;-(

but, as Mac said, advertising always generates more viewers than just showing up unannounced. People who have access to a large contact list (like twitter,a blog, facebook etc) can effectively notify thousands of acquaintances and strangers very quickly.
unfortunately, I don't have any such accounts. Maybe I should.
Hi All
I am back from my sailing foray and have scheduled an “opener” for Pat on Saturday 12th October. I will be playing from 11:15am Eastern time until Pat’s scheduled performance.

Tentative set list is as follows:

1.Teach your children – Cosby Stills and Nash
2. When will it ever stop – Joanne Cooper original – backing done in BIAB
3. Circle Dance – Bonnie Raitt – backing done in BIAB
4. Someone like you – Adele
5. Will you still love me tomorrow – Carole King
6. Its time (the last farewell) – Joanne Cooper original – backing done in BIAB
7. Sail Away – David Gray
8. Last Cigarette – K.D. Lang - backing done in BIAB (time permitting!!)
Hope to see you all there!
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/10/13 04:00 PM
I might have to do an opener for Joanne, whose doing an opener for Pat. It all depends on when my wife starts her piano lessons. I might have to go on at 9:30am.

The good thing is that my performance will make you look forward to Joanne's and Pat's shows even more (ha, ha).
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/10/13 11:11 PM
I might have to do an opener for Joanne, whose doing an opener for Pat. It all depends on when my wife starts her piano lessons. I might have to go on at 9:30am.

The good thing is that my performance will make you look forward to Joanne's and Pat's shows even more (ha, ha).

hey cool! that would be 3 BIAB forum members back to back on saturday morning!
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/10/13 11:14 PM
@ Danny Campo:

just a thought, but I've noticed a few SJ performers who set up the web cam when playing gigs and stream the whole thing.

That might be the perfect combination for you, providing the gig location has WIFI that you can use.
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/11/13 11:41 AM
I signed up for the 9:30am slot (eastern) on Saturday for an early morning show before Joanne and Pat.

I am off to radio shack today to buy a 1/8 stereo to 1/4 mono jack to plug my mp3 player into my audio device. If the conversion from stereo to mono is not too awful, I plan on doing a three song set with backing tracks after Pat is done. If the sound isn't good enough, then I will wait until I get a mixer to use backing tracks. I figure a $7 adapter is worth the risk!

The mixer I am looking at is the Peavey PV 6 USB Compact USB Mixer. With 10% off for the columbus day sale, I can get it for $90. I can plug in my mic (needs external phantom power, since the PV6 only has 15V phantom) to one input, my electric guitar cable into the 3/4 input (I have a stereo output cable from my gdec headphone out) and the RCA tape in from my mp3 player. I think that should work. As always, the reviews are from 5* to folks complaining that there is too much noise from the USB connection (and that seems to be a common complaint from usb mixer users). Nothing is ever straightforward and easy!

EDIT: of course, the 10% discount doesn't apply! It is already on-sale at $100.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/11/13 09:29 PM
the mixer looks like a fun addition to your SJ setup! I look forward to hearing the songs you play with backing tracks!

(And thanks for saving it until I can watch...)
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/11/13 10:29 PM
The webcam says I am using the US-224 A/B for audio --> but the dang thing only hears what is being plugged into the "A" channel!! I can't figure out how to tell it to listen to both the A & B channels!

No backing tracks for me tomorrow -- unless I just put the boom box behind me (ha, ha).
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/11/13 11:04 PM
Kevin, before you give up on trax tomorrow, why not check the local craig's list or guitar center for a mixer? With a little luck, you could have a new or used mixer in your possession this very evening...
No backing tracks for me tomorrow -- unless I just put the boom box behind me (ha, ha).

ya know, that's not a bad idea if you're playing an acoustic set anyway...
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/12/13 01:20 PM
I'm cancelling my early morning set. I have to go into the big city of charlottesville this morning and I don't know when I will return. I hopefully will get back in time to see Joanne and Pat do their sets.
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/12/13 02:44 PM
I'm cancelling my early morning set. I have to go into the big city of charlottesville this morning and I don't know when I will return. I hopefully will get back in time to see Joanne and Pat do their sets.

There goes your big tip! I guess I'll split it with Joanne and Pat.

Later,
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/12/13 05:09 PM
thanks to everybody who stuck around during my train wreck. I'm pretty sure JosieC sabotaged me somehow, but I'm not yet sure how she pulled it off. ;-)

but, the good news is that I EXPECT things to go wrong during a learning curve. Its part of what SJ is all about, seeing what works and what fails, while in the presence of knowledgeable people who can offer suggestions and solutions.

The ironic thing is that I thought I HAD turned off the screen saver... apparently not

At least JosieC's wonderfulness made it worthwhile for the people who came for the show
Hi Pat. I enjoyed what I saw of your performance but had to leave because I am getting VERY frustrated with my slow internet connection!!!

I don't think everyone understands how hard it is trying to do everything yourself. It is especially difficult when you cant hear anything!! Singing, remembering chords and lyrics, playing, sound engineering as well as engaging the audience. Not easy. Looks easy but it's not.

At least when we are playing live gigs we hear what is going on around us and with jelly I find it frustrating that I can't hear what I sound like. I guess we gotta keep an eye on the screen and look for feedback interactively.

Well done for coming back. We all appreciated it and you got some great comments.
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/12/13 05:45 PM
I went ahead and ordered the PV6 USB Mixer -- I hope it is the right one. The main complaint about all these low end mixers is the potential for noise. According to the reviews, some of the units are quiet and some of them are terribly noisy. I hope I get a good one!
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/12/13 06:21 PM
Kevin,
I think you'll be VERY happy with it! What might be considered noisy in a recording studio won't be a problem playing on SJ

The mixer opens up options you just don't have with only a mic.Can't wait to hear your first set with trax.
Pat,

I’m sorry I missed your show and Joanne’s. I didn’t get back until around 1 o’cl and both of you had finished. I’ll try to catch the next one.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/13/13 12:53 AM
I just noticed that they are posting show times in Central Standard Time. That should eliminate some confusion. Also, if you click on "follow this artist" it will email a reminder just prior to the performance.
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/13/13 03:14 AM
I just noticed that they are posting show times in Central Standard Time. That should eliminate some confusion. Also, if you click on "follow this artist" it will email a reminder just prior to the performance.

I read some where that they get the timezone date info from the browser -- so I see it in eastern time , you see it in central, etc. It is not 100% in synch all the time, though.

here it is:
Originally Posted By: streetjely
Note: Don't worry about timezones, just enter your local time above. We pull the timezone setting from your browser and adjust to the correct local time for each viewer.
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/14/13 06:51 PM
Silvertones is on right now!
I tried to catch silvertones at work over my lunch hour and there's some java or flash plugin that our IT admins at work have disabled. Dang!
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/14/13 11:00 PM
Scott, yes, it requires Flash Player.

You certainly missed a wonderful performance by Silvertones today. I marveled at the superior quality of his backing tracks which I assume are home brew BB tracks. John is a veteran performer.
Scott, yes, it requires Flash Player.

You certainly missed a wonderful performance by Silvertones today. I marveled at the superior quality of his backing tracks which I assume are home brew BB tracks. John is a veteran performer.

Thanks Don.
Yes, as I found out last time it needs the latest and greatest Flash Player. An older version doesn't work either.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/15/13 02:14 PM
Hey John... I missed you again! Please consider scheduling your next slot so I know when to be there! or if you did schedule, and I was just at work, consider scheduling a show in the morning when I'm at home. I wanna hear my buddy perform!
Hey John... I missed you again! Please consider scheduling your next slot so I know when to be there! or if you did schedule, and I was just at work, consider scheduling a show in the morning when I'm at home. I wanna hear my buddy perform!

'twas a case of i was supposed to paint but the people were still there. So I set up my stuff. Then said" I guess I'll schedule a show for tonight but I'd better try it first with a couple of tunes. Three hours later I was done.
Hi All

Since I am away this weekend I have scheduled a mid week slot today at 11:00 am eastern time.

Tentative set list is as follows:
1. Fearless - Taylor Swift
2. Baby I love your way - Peter Frampton
3. Evergreen - Will Young
4. Guitar man - Bread
5. L&N - Michelle Shocked - Acoustic
6. Sugar sugar - The Archies
7. Sacrific - Elton John
8. Still the one - Shania Twain - Acoustic
9. Stuck in the middle - Steelers Wheel
10. Still the Same -Bob Seger

Hope to see you there.

Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/16/13 12:42 PM
I'll be there, Jo (unless I get so involved in whatever I'm doing at 10:50 that I lose track of time)

I like the mix of songs... you pull from a wide range of artists... I think that keeps things interesting.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/16/13 03:55 PM
They were so busy (patient died) that they didn't get me up until 10:45. Nuts! Nearly missed the whole broadcast.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/16/13 04:02 PM
Rocker/singer Danny Miller entertaining us at 3 PM today. I'm excited.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/16/13 05:31 PM
Jo did an outstanding job this morning on StreetJelly... I'm pretty sure she got some new fans from among the SJ regulars... and even impressed one bystander so much now he wants to try it!

I've been thinking about the live performance "rule" about keeping your momentum... but thats to keep people from leaving the dance floor. SJ is a different paradigm, and nobody's dancing.

It does seem like part of the culture involves slowing down long enough to mingle with the audience, and Jo does that very well.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/16/13 05:52 PM
Rocker/singer Danny Miller entertaining us at 3 PM today. I'm excited.

don... where do you see this? I don't see anything about it on today's lineup
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/16/13 06:09 PM
Two nurses came in to dance for/with me. That's such powerful medicine. Pulled me out of the quicksand of depression. Amy, my former head nurse, was an excellent dancer and world dance and sing her way into my room each morning. They generally dance with me during Danny Miller's shows.

I believe it is impossible to sing and frown at the same time.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/16/13 06:35 PM
Pat, the "us" is the residents/patients in my nursing home. Sorry for commandeering the thread. Just a bit anxious.
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/16/13 10:42 PM
I got my PV6 USB mixer in today (yea!). For some reason I can't stereo output into my webcam on my Vista 32-bit machine. I have my MP3 player plugged into the PV6 via the RCA stereo inputs. Sounds fine on the PV6 headphone out. I adjusted the Control Panel --> Sound --> USB audio --> advanced properties to do the 2-channel setting thing (it was set a 1 channel), but still comes across as mono via the webcam (a logitech 500).

The good news is that I can get stereo over on my windows 7 64 bit laptop's webcam, so all is not lost. However the Vista is my music computer so it would be convenient to use that machine and the web cam there.

I've posted over on the peavey forum -- let's see if anyone over there has any ideas!

Kevin
A little confused as Vista & 7 are so similar however the issue may be this. The output from the mixer needs to go to the input(line) of the computer used to broadcast. The newer machines only have a mono input so you won't get true stereo however you should get mono on 2 channels.I think this is what you are getting on the 7 machine. Should be able to do the same on the Vista one.
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/16/13 11:09 PM
I am going through the USB port and a stereo signal is being sent from the PV6 to the PC. I double check, but I think I am getting a stereo signal over on the window 7 laptop. I choose a test file that has the acoustic guitars panned 100% Left and right so it is easy to tell if it is stereo output.
I am going through the USB port and a stereo signal is being sent from the PV6 to the PC.

I'm envisioning that it's a linear plug (1/8" jack) that goes into the PC.
So...are you sure the patch cord to the PC is a stereo jack?

If I'm wrong or missed something ignore this post.

Carry on....
The PV6 has a USB out?
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/17/13 01:48 AM
Originally Posted By: chulaivet1966
I'm envisioning that it's a linear plug (1/8" jack) that goes into the PC....

It's a USB connection (and the turkeys at Peavey don't even supply the USB cord!)

The PV6 has a USB out?

It's a "PV6 USB" -- same as the PV6 except with USB. For some reason with the PV6 USB, the phantom power seems to be 15V. I don't know if my condenser mic will work with that. I have a preamp ready in case it doesn't.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/17/13 04:01 AM
can I ask what kind of preamp? I've been thinking about getting a tube preamp to soften the digital signal on my guitar
Hi Kevin

It maybe a bit of a dumb question but is the sound coming out of both headphones in mono (so just the "stereo effect" is missing)?

If so, I have never actually checked but my setup may also be doing the same thing. I plug my mixer "out" into the 1/8 inch microphone jack on my computer, using a stereo cable.

(When I purchased my new laptop I made sure that it had both an 1/8 inch headphone out and a 1/8 inch microphone in)

I see you are using USB to connect your mixer. Is a USB port stereo?
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/17/13 11:40 AM
can I ask what kind of preamp? I've been thinking about getting a tube preamp to soften the digital signal on my guitar

I use a Art Tube MP Studio preamp -- it was only $29 when I got it. I am using it when I just do the one mic guitar/vocal thing.

...but is the sound coming out of both headphones in mono (so just the "stereo effect" is missing)?

If so, I have never actually checked but my setup may also be doing the same thing. I plug my mixer "out" into the 1/8 inch microphone jack on my computer, using a stereo cable. ...

I see you are using USB to connect your mixer. Is a USB port stereo?

Seems to be mono signal coming out of both the left and right in the headphones. I am not 100% sure, though. I'll have to check that out a little closer.

Sounds like you are using a mono signal, too -- but if you are it still sounds pretty good! My mono signal is degraded too much for me -- which means I am not that great of a recording engineer (ha, ha). My pro reference tracks sound quite good in mono (but again, not quite as good as in stereo).

The docs say that the PV6 is sending a stereo signal through the USB port. ... it seems that way to me also (based on the laptop). Maybe I'll try using audacity sometime today and see if audacity hears the stereo signal on my Vista machine.

Kevin
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/17/13 12:16 PM
Quick update: Audacity records the stereo output from the PV6 mixer just fine. Looks like the problem rests with the Logitech webcam 500. I haven't found any topic about this via google searching so I might have to go straight to logitech support. The problem is that, percentage wise, there aren't that many people doing this type of stiff it seems!
Quick update: Audacity records the stereo output from the PV6 mixer just fine. Looks like the problem rests with the Logitech webcam 500. I haven't found any topic about this via google searching so I might have to go straight to logitech support. The problem is that, percentage wise, there aren't that many people doing this type of stiff it seems!

OK so the PV6 is your audio device & the 500 is video.I don't see why one affects the other.I have a Logitech HD ??? web cam & use an Audidgy 2 ZS Notebook card for the audio and neither interfere with the other.
BTW disable the audio portion of the webcam. Make sure in the sound appelett for windows that the PV6 is selected for the "voice" feature.
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/17/13 05:35 PM
There is a possibility that what you hear over streejelly is mono only! Does anyone have any more info on that. I thought you could send and hear stereo audio. If that is the case, then I may just remix my backing tracks to send better in mono (but they aren't terrible as is.

In any case, I needed a mixer anyway to get the MP3 player and guitar/vocal combined.
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/17/13 06:49 PM
Just got a reply from Frankie and he says:
Originally Posted By: Frankie @ SJ
Hi Kevin,
Yes, the rtmp stream produced by the Flash encoder is reading in a single microphone source. That source is then combined with the video into one stream. The audio is set at the highest rate of 44khz (if not limited by the local pc or sound/mic drivers). Long story short, yes it is mono.

Frank Podlaha
StreetJelly.com

Oh well, I'll see if my vista machine is adequate. I might still have a 1-channel vs. 2-channel issue, so I may have to use my laptop. In any case, I might need to remix my backing tracks so they sound a little better in mono (they aren't that bad now).

I wonder what tricks you use to get separation is mono -- eq and reverb?
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/17/13 09:47 PM
I found a third party webcam software product called ManyCam which allows me to record/stream in stereo. Of course I have an issue when try to I try to record the video into an *.avi file -- but nothing is ever easy!!!!!

Of course, the sound you will be hearing at SJ is mono, but at least I can monitor and mix in stereo and the resulting mono signal should be OK for my purposes -- or at least time will tell.
BTW disable the audio portion of the webcam. Make sure in the sound appelett for windows that the PV6 is selected for the "voice" feature.

Pay attention to this ^^.
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/17/13 10:52 PM
Originally Posted By: rockstar_not

Pay attention to this ^^.

I would if I new what it meant. You can only choose one mic at a time for the web cam and I don't know which sound applet he is referring to.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/18/13 05:00 PM
FWIW, I didn't disable anything.. I just ignored all other mics in the list and selected the my audio interface as the mic. Works OK for me even without disabling the webcam mic.

On a different but related note: I got called in to work on Saturday, so I had to cancel my Saturday SJ slot. I'll squeeze it in sometime over the weekend unannounced. Maybe Sunday afternoon
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/18/13 07:05 PM
ha, ha -- my MP3 player is a low volume unit. I need more umpff from that unit and there is no independent volume control for the "tape in" option. I'll have to try and borrow my wife's MP3 player.

My first few attempts to play to backing have been a comedy of errors. Timing the start of the song with me in the "music ready" position is tough. I am going to have to add 5-10 seconds to the songs, so I can be ready to go when the song kicks off.
ha, ha -- my MP3 player is a low volume unit. I need more umpff from that unit and there is no independent volume control for the "tape in" option. I'll have to try and borrow my wife's MP3 player.

My first few attempts to play to backing have been a comedy of errors. Timing the start of the song with me in the "music ready" position is tough. I am going to have to add 5-10 seconds to the songs, so I can be ready to go when the song kicks off.

What John was talking about was making sure that the PV6 is selected for the audio.

As for level, do you have any adapters to go from RCA Male to 1/4" mono - if so, just use the 1/4" ins on channels 1 and 2 on the PV6 where you have some input gain adjustment. Too bad there isn't a tape monitor adjustment.

Playing along with tracks is kind of tricky in a live situation - in my opinion. I've only done it a couple of times, and I had to do the same thing that you suggest, except I actually modified my intros so I wouldn't need to be playing immediately. Something to think about for your future arrangements.
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/18/13 09:58 PM
... As for level, do you have any adapters to go from RCA Male to 1/4" mono - if so, just use the 1/4" ins on channels 1 and 2 on the PV6 where you have some input gain adjustment. Too bad there isn't a tape monitor adjustment.

That's a good idea -- I actually have a RCA to two 1/4" adapter!

...Playing along with tracks is kind of tricky in a live situation - in my opinion. I've only done it a couple of times, and I had to do the same thing that you suggest, except I actually modified my intros so I wouldn't need to be playing immediately. Something to think about for your future arrangements.

It will take some practice, I can see why folks get a foot pedal to start and stop the backing tracks input. I don't plan on playing out with backing tracks, so I don't mind clunking along. The 8-second delay should work fine for me -- although I do manually have to pick up the MP3 player and stop it and then start it again -- I don't plan to just go from song to song -- streetjelly lends itself to a little bit of banter (mercifully short, of course) between songs.
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/18/13 10:25 PM
... As for level, do you have any adapters to go from RCA Male to 1/4" mono - if so, just use the 1/4" ins on channels 1 and 2 on the PV6 where you have some input gain adjustment. Too bad there isn't a tape monitor adjustment....

This idea worked beautifully!!!!! I have a 3/4 Left/right (and a 5/6) that is made just for this purpose -- or at least stereo input of some sort. Now I have full gain control over the MP3 player. Thanks for the great idea!

Kevin
Set list for todays jam.

1. Amazed (Lonestar)
2. You'll think of me (Keith Urban)
3. Father & Son (Cat Stevens)
4. Sit Down (James)
5. I can see clearly now (Johnny Nash)
6. Josephine - acoustic version (Brandi Carlise)
7. I will always be here - acoustic version (Joanne Cooper and Floyd Jane)
8. Need you like a hole in the head (Joanne Cooper)original version from 2001, performed acoustic
9. Whiter shade of pale (Procol Harum) time permitting
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/26/13 12:12 PM
Looking forward to JosieC show (that's jo131's nom de plume for streetjelly!). Pat goes on after her and I will follow Pat.

I am going to try something new -- I am going to use backing tracks. I am having quite the time trying to get the confidence that it will all work. Last night I did a couple of song test -- and I couldn't hear my mic in the mix unless I pressed tape to mix (which is totally not right). I think me going back and forth between the USB audio codec and normal PC sound threw things off because this morning everything is the way it should be. I guess I'll just reboot the PC before I fire up the SJ session.

Unfortunately, my lead playing has degraded beyond recognition and the backing track versions have many timing differences from my guitar/vocal versions -- should be interesting.

Other than that, it will be great (LOL!). Well, at least Josie and Pat will be.

1:30 PM EDT: Date/Time Converter. Depending on when Pat finishes, I may go on before this time (or after).

Set List:
1. I Think I found Love
2. You Start Things Spinning
3. lil Sasquatch
4. Little Bit of Loving
5. We Chose the Road
6. Hey Hey
7. This is her Weekend
8. Angels and Devils Never Agree
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/26/13 02:00 PM
I was planning to bail on todays' scheduled SJ performance... but since I'm sandwiched between two friends, I'll try to at least show up for a few songs.

It takes me too long to create my tracks. Just one of the songs took me two weeks to create. By the time I have 5 tracks created, there's no time left to practice them. So I'm going to back off after today and just focus on track creation without a deadline.
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/26/13 02:03 PM
Deadlines are what makes things happen! (ha, ha)
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/26/13 06:05 PM
Kevin and JosieC,

I marvel at your comfort levels in front of the camera... you both seem very at ease throughout your sets.

I'm an introvert who can't really get up in front of people unless I am totally prepared, and something about the random glitches I've experienced on SJ keeps me from feeling totally prepared.

I may have to try a different delivery system besides the JukeBox... apparently I don't understand it well enough, because it never responds the way I'm expecting... which also serves to disrupt the ol' confidence.

Also the time it takes to get every aspect of a track nailed down is daunting... especially the way I'm doing it, with embedded MIDI commands to synch the vocal processor and guitar effects with the tracks.

I plan to retire in May, at which time I will have far more opportunity to work on tracks... until then, I'm not going to frustrate myself by presenting insufficiently-prepared songs on SJ.

But I'll still tune in to watch and tip anyone else from here who may decide to give it a whirl. Still waiting on Danny Campo and Josie Beck
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/26/13 06:34 PM
Pat,

Missed your show today but everything I have heard from you so far has been top notch. With this said if I were you I would not give it up. I for one of many would like to keep you on stage.

Now for me . . . I am still tweaking my new sound system for my weekly live gigs so at this point in time in no way do I feel confident enough with the sound (especially considering a totally new delivery method)to go live on air. Therefore I feel I am still a few weeks away from jumping in with both feet.

PS: I will take you up on your offer to help with the on air setup questions. Thanks again.

Later,
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/26/13 06:35 PM
Missed Josie and Pat today, but truly enjoyed Kevin's set.

Good job Kevin!

Later,
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/26/13 06:42 PM
A pretty good showing from the PG Music crowd!

Thanks for the sound level comment Pat. It means I just need to trust my headphone mix better. The backing tracks did seem lower to me than my guitar/vocal part. I'll ease off on my mic a bit and then turn up the overall gain a tad.

For the first time using backing tracks, it went as well as can be expected. I probably need to set Sonar to mono when I practice -- it might give me a better sense of what you all are hearing.
Kevin,

I caught most of your set today and I really enjoyed the originals. Good work.

FWIW, I think it sounds better when the backing tracks are lower in volume so you can hear the performer actually playing instead of having bass and drums in your face.

It makes the performance more intimate and real, but that's just my opinion so YMMV.

Keep it up.
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/26/13 11:44 PM
... I caught most of your set today and I really enjoyed the originals. Good work.

FWIW, I think it sounds better when the backing tracks are lower in volume so you can hear the performer actually playing instead of having bass and drums in your face.
It makes the performance more intimate and real, but that's just my opinion so YMMV.

Thanks for stopping by and listening. You make a good point there. However, I am mostly using backing tracks to increase my enjoyment of playing at StreetJelly (ha, ha). The better the headphone mix sounds, the more enjoyment I will have, The bottom line (for me) is that doing just the guitar/vocal thing for 30 or 40 minutes isn't that exciting. I won't adjust the mix that much -- just a little.

The funny thing is that I still lean more towards the purist point of view -- everything should be played live in a performance! But since I use BIAB in my recordings, I am definitely not a strict fundamentalist. ... and watching others at SJ use backing tracks (like JosieC, Pat, SilverTones and Lana) is making me more accepting of it. Maybe I am becoming less dogmatic as I get older -- isn't that the opposite of what it usually happens? (LOL!)

As JosieC does, I will be mixing in straight acoustic numbers along backing track numbers -- I think that will work best for me. I think the main difference between her backing tracks and mine is that hers really do an excellent job of supporting her singing and performance while mine seem to be a larger part of the actual song experience (if that makes any sense). I'll stop there now -- time to watch football and partake in legal adult beverages.

... As for level, do you have any adapters to go from RCA Male to 1/4" mono - if so, just use the 1/4" ins on channels 1 and 2 on the PV6 where you have some input gain adjustment. Too bad there isn't a tape monitor adjustment....

This idea worked beautifully!!!!! I have a 3/4 Left/right (and a 5/6) that is made just for this purpose -- or at least stereo input of some sort. Now I have full gain control over the MP3 player. Thanks for the great idea!

Kevin

I'm glad that worked out for you. There's always more than one way to skin a cat.

-Scott
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/27/13 12:23 AM
Missed Josie and Pat today, but truly enjoyed Kevin's set.

Good job Kevin!

Thanks for the support. It is good to have regulars from PG Music forum land.
I nearly missed all this since Saturday. Guess I've been sleeping! Thanks for all the support guys. I really appreciate it! Kevin, I didn't manage to catch your set as I had a dinner date.

I have been playing with backing tracks for a long time. I played in a two woman band called Alice Band and we exclusively used backing tracks so I am used to it. I am generally a terrible "cheat". I mostly use professionally produced backing tracks. A place like karaoke-version has most stuff that I need. I only use BIAB where I literally can't find the backing track and, of course, for my original stuff. I also have a fabulous chord recognition program.

So, if I know the song quite well it doesn't take me very long to put it together well enough to perform it. If anybody is interested in learning more about my backing tracks just PM me.

Pat, keep going buddy! You are doing well!
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/30/13 02:05 AM
Oh by the way, I forgot to ask (I think) -- how was the sound quality of the backing tracks? Did they seem normal or did the conversion to mono make them sound weird. I am hearing everything in hi-fi stereo and I have no idea what it sounds like out there. I hope they sound nearly as good as Pat's (or JosieC's).

I am currently working on 10 new backing tracks for Saturday!
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/30/13 02:23 AM
Sound was fine, I'd only hope I can get that quality of sound when I jump in.

Later,
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/30/13 04:20 AM
Oh by the way, I forgot to ask (I think) -- how was the sound quality of the backing tracks? Did they seem normal or did the conversion to mono make them sound weird. I am hearing everything in hi-fi stereo and I have no idea what it sounds like out there.

Kevin,
I thought they sounded VERY good! On this end sound came out both sets of speakers, so it wasn't obvious that I was listening to a MONO signal. It just sounded good, natural, and appropriate. Having listened to some of the same songs as posted on the user forum, hearing all the parts seemed like "the whole song" (as opposed to a stripped down version)

Quote:
I am currently working on 10 new backing tracks for Saturday!

cool! I'll be there to populate the peanut gallery! I look forward to hearing your new stuff!
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/30/13 01:19 PM
DannyC and Pat: Thanks for the info, that is comforting (ha, ha). The new backing track songs should be interesting, they are songs that I have never really played "live", so I had better practice all week!

I think tommytooter got tossed from SJ (DannyC know who I am talking about -- I think).
I saw that guy! My goodness what a whacko! It was like watching paint dry, except the audience was having a great time. .

I have got my old band mate from "Alice Band" days to join us on streetjelly. If you like my stuff you'll LOVE hers. She is enormously talented. Favourite her. Her profile is toot sweet
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/30/13 02:17 PM
jo131: Yea, he should have changed his handle to TommyTalker! I just checked out toot sweet. She is saying some interesting things about you in her bio! (ha, ha).
She has a very short memory....it was HER that fell off the stage not me!
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/30/13 02:50 PM

I think tommytooter got tossed from SJ (DannyC know who I am talking about -- I think).

Kevin,
how would you know about something like that? Are you on the SJ facebook page?
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 10/30/13 04:31 PM
No, I was checking his "show" and he got in a verbal tussle with attendee where he cursed, discussed drug use and other weird stuff and then I noticed he was "off the air". I was still watching him stream, but if you went to the home page you couldn't get into his show. Then all of his SJ info was gone. I guess he could have quit -- but everything was gone so fast.
Set List for Saturday 12:00 noon Eastern time.

Special set for Cuzzie my old band mate who will be joining us from Oman. So I'm gonna be doing a selection of stuff we used to play together.

1. Baby I love your way - Peter Frampton
2. Build me up buttercup - The Foundations
3. If tomorrow never comes - Garth Brooks
4. Loving arms - Dixie Chicks
5. Still the one - Shania Twain
6. Memories of East Texas (acoustic) - Michelle Shocked
7. Sail Away (acoustic) - David Gray
8. Stuck in the middle - Steelers Wheel
9. Jessie (Time permitting) - Joshua Kadison
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 11/01/13 01:36 PM
I am planning on following Joanne on saturday at 12:45pm EDT (depending on when she finishes and when my wife's piano lesson is over). I am doing existing songs that I am cutting out my vocal and guitar and then using those backing tracks. It's an odd mix of songs.

The sordid collection is ~30 minutes long (35+ with chatter)

1.) Alchemy
2.) She Was Made to be Played (my film noir song)
3.) lil Sasquatch (I just want 2 love songs together -- ha, ha)
4.) Once in a Lifetime Love
5.) Hey Rockin' Chair -- Rocking Chair Symphony, 1st movement:
6.) Rockin' Chair Blues -- Rocking Chair Symphony, 2nd movement:
7.) Had a Dream last Night
8.) Something Wrong With My Heart
9.) Blow Your Life Away
10.) One Way Street (unreleased)
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 11/02/13 06:30 PM
to Jo and Kevin: good shows

I like the Saturday morning time slot.. I think it will be even more fun as more forum people play on SJ.. especially if they pick a Saturday slot adjacent to somebody else.

It really is like a party of friends (to me at least)... its refreshing to chill with friends and a cup of coffee while other friends entertain.

I look forward to next Saturday morning...
I am going to be doing a set of songs that I think/suspect/know that Don will like on Saturday at noon Eastern Time.

Tune in and wish Don well!
Hi Guys
Have had to cancel due to bad dog bite on the hand. Will do the same show next week same time
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 11/09/13 02:20 PM
...Have had to cancel due to bad dog bite on the hand. Will do the same show next week same time

Ouch! Sorry to hear that. Get well soon (and buy some shark resistant diver gloves to wear around the house).

I had to cancel because I didn't practice all week and it really shows when I play without practicing in the days ahead of the set. I don't have the "muscle memory" of playing these songs for many tears on end.
I don't have the "muscle memory" of playing these songs for many tears on end.

Was that an intentional pun on the tears?

It was a pity because I had prepared a set specially for Don. Anyway, I will do it next week
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 11/09/13 05:14 PM
...Have had to cancel due to bad dog bite on the hand. Will do the same show next week same time

Ouch! Sorry to hear that. Get well soon (and buy some shark resistant diver gloves to wear around the house).

I had to cancel because I didn't practice all week and it really shows when I play without practicing in the days ahead of the set. I don't have the "muscle memory" of playing these songs for many tears on end.

Sorry to hear of the dog bite, I hope you bit him back!

Later,
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 11/16/13 02:23 PM
How this get to page 2! JosieC is on right now.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 11/16/13 04:15 PM
Sorry I missed it.... Little early for me - what can I say I slept in. LOL! Catch you next time, I hope.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 11/16/13 04:58 PM
Josie, JosieC said she's going to repeat this afternoon. The start times were a bit scrambled causing me to tune in late so she's gonna repeat. New time is not posted yet but, hopefully, we won't have to miss a single note.

Having a plethora of Josies to love and the different time zones is a major mental hurdle for me but you are both worth the bit of confusion.

Some female artists to watch mature are Summer and Songbird. Two totally different approaches to a song but extremely talented. You watch for their schedule.

Thank you, precious little lady friend.
Sorry guys made SUCH a hash of the times.

I thought I had scheduled my normal time but got an email reminder and saw that I had mistakenly scheduled two hours earlier (dog bite on my hand must have gone to my brain!). So went on and said I would repeat at the normal time but then Don did arrive and I repeated what he had missed so didn't go on again later.

So...long story but I will schedule for next Saturday 11am eastern time, 10am Central time. (To confuse things further the clocks have moved).

Next week I will be doing requests from stuff that I have previously performed and then week after I will be launching my first album.

Hope to see you there
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 11/17/13 06:22 PM
It worked out okay, in retrospect, Jo.

I loved your entire performance and you are exhibiting more confidence. Perhaps the regular busking at the farmers' market has helped a lot. You have always appeared confident, perhaps a better term would be "polished". You have a certain glow or radiance that endears you to your audience as well as to your friends.

I know that I speak for everyone here on PG Forums when I say that you are dearly loved m'lady. I feel very privileged when you call me "friend".

Looking forward with bridled anticipation to your next show, then later, to meeting/hearing/seeing "cuzzy". Just sad that we lack the technology to have you harmonize as you ladies once did.

Brainstorm; or thinking aloud allowed: What if you were to record "Cuzzy's" part along with your backing track then, when live, add your vox. Maybe not your entire show but at least some songs so that we could hear "Cuzzy!"

(I've been called "Full of it!")
Posted By: pghboemike Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 11/19/13 06:32 PM
JosieC is performing LIVE right now on StreetJelly.com.
just popped in for a few minutes but had to say, JosieC, you sing beautifully and you seem to have mastered that StreetJelly thing completely! Great performance!!!
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 11/19/13 08:59 PM
Yes, John3, she had a bit of competition today when following Songbird, but I think that Songbird's voice begins to irritate quickly because she tends to sing slightly above her "sweet spot" and I've told her so, tactfully, of course.

It was akin to a good ear-wash when Josie came on. Totally relaxing, soothing, and refreshing.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 11/19/13 09:13 PM
Originally Posted By: JosieC
I am going to be doing a set of songs that I think/suspect/know that Don will like on Saturday at noon Eastern Time.

Tune in and wish Don well!

You spoil me spitless, m'lady! But, I absolutely love you for it. You have brought happiness, sunshine, and hope back into my life in your wake. Thank you, little one.

How's your dog bite? I didn't notice any negative affect on your beautiful singing or playing today.
Hi Joanne,

Can you indicate South African time as well in future ..? I though WE are central time !!!
Originally Posted By: CountryTrash
Hi Joanne,
Can you indicate South African time as well in future ..? I though WE are central time !!!

That is very funny! Well we like to think we are the center of the universe but I think the Americans may have a different view... Point taken. Okay...so this Saturday the 23rd November I will do a set at 6 pm South African time, 11 am Eastern Time (USA), 10 am Central time (USA). I am going to be doing a bit of anything goes so if you have any requests from stuff that I have previously performed let me know. The week after I will be launching my new album. (I may do a couple of impromptu sets in the meantime)

You spoil me spitless, m'lady! But, I absolutely love you for it. You have brought happiness, sunshine, and hope back into my life in your wake. Thank you, little one.
How's your dog bite? I didn't notice any negative affect on your beautiful singing or playing today.

Absolute pleasure Don. Dog bite has healed nicely. Just left a lovely scar on my hand but then a scar always tells a story….
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
just popped in for a few minutes but had to say, JosieC, you sing beautifully and you seem to have mastered that StreetJelly thing completely! Great performance!!!

J3 – thanks so much for tuning in and commenting. It was a bit of an impromptu thing. Hope to see you there again soon.
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 11/20/13 03:46 PM
You spoil Don "spitless" now I have heard them all, LMAO!

Thanks for that one Don.

Later,
I have scheduled a set of some completely acoustic stuff for today.

Including some Gordon Lightfoot for Don.

8pm South African time

1pm Eastern time

12 noon Central time
I will be performing my new album "Always Here" on streetjelly on Friday 29th November at:

12:00 noon USA central time
13:00 USA eastern time
20:00 South African time

I hope to meet you all there!
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 11/29/13 07:01 PM
Man, that little girl is sooooo good! Thanks so much, Jo!
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 11/30/13 01:15 AM
Nice show today, Josie C! I really enjoyed it! Can't wait until April to hear you and Cuz at the same time.

on a different but related topic, I was trying to add ram to my music computer and ended up messing something up! so until I get that resolved, I won't be on SJ

But when I do get back on, I bought a laser show on eBay, and I can't wait to use it on SJ. Kind of a one-trick pony, but it should be more interesting than looking at ME!

They say that smoke machines and lasers go well together... hmmmm
Now Pat, don't you go gettin' all smoked up!
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 11/30/13 11:41 PM
In the Electronic Technician's vernacular, whenever a Tech would short something out and become hidden in a cloud, someone would invariably shout: "Oh, Don's just letting the smoke out!"
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 12/01/13 02:08 PM
update: bought a smoke machine and a laser yesterday. Hoping that backlit fog will make a more interesting background than the current black backdrop.

Next show (if I get back up on my SJ broadcast PC) will be dec 14, right after JosieC. Christmas songs.

Dec 15th is dedicated to christmas songs on SJ, for anyone who wants to jump in.

John?
Danny?
Josie Beck?
anybody else?
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 12/01/13 07:40 PM
Now Pat, don't you go gettin' all smoked up!

John,

You might want to check out what he is burning in that machine . . . just saying.

Later,
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 12/09/13 01:40 AM
Danny Campo is on Street Jelly RIGHT NOW (8:30 pm EST Sunday)
Posted By: DrDan Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 12/09/13 01:58 AM

Can't get on, the site seems to be having technical problems tonight. Winter Storms all over the US.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 12/09/13 02:10 AM
Has anyone been able to see Danny? It just "spins" for me...
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 12/09/13 03:53 AM
Yes, he was marginally handsome in Oklahoma, Floyd.
I already picked a bone with Danny. Why is he playing in the middle of the night?
Posted By: MarioD Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 12/09/13 02:12 PM
I saw Danny last night. He did a super job IMHO.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 12/09/13 03:10 PM
whatever the problem was for some people, it wasn't on StreetJelly's end because they broadcasted Danny loud and clear. Hangups may have been the combination of high weekend traffic and some ISPs limited bandwidth.

My Review:

Danny was AWESOME! His years in front of an audience really showed... he made funny comments between songs, acknowledged people in the audience, showed appreciation for the owners of SJ and never missed a lick as he played and sang a variety of Christmas songs. The audience clearly liked his show, and understandable so.

His BIAB created tracks were very well done, and his tracks, vocals and guitar were very well balanced (good mix!)

Plus, he used his new guitar!

I only wish he (or me or somebody) would have posted his gig here in advance... I think it was only posted on the SJ lineup. To my knowledge, Mario, Don Gaynor and I were the only PG forum members in the audience.

I'm looking forward to hearing more of Danny on SJ... They're having an all-day Christmas song event on the 15th, and it wouldn't surprise me if Danny shows up for that.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 12/09/13 03:16 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane

regarding the StreetJelly "spin":

Once that happens, the video will not come back automatically... you have to keep clicking on the PLAY arrow in order to restore the video.

Even if the problem is resolved and everybody else is watching the performance, if you still have the "spinner" on your screen, you still need to CLICK in order to restore the video stream. (took me FOREVER to figure this out!)

You can usually tell if its working for others because of the comments in the chat box. Somebody will usually say something like "He's back!"
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 12/09/13 03:24 PM
a note to the forum crowd :

In spite of the fact that SJ touts itself as a busking site where most performers are simply playing an instrument while singing, I've noticed that any performer who plays along with backing tracks is generally received with real enthusiasm.

Audiences just LOVE JosieC and Kevin Emmrich... and last night's positive response to Danny confirms my opinion that just about any of us who make and use trax would be a good fit for that venue.

I strongly encourage other BIABbers to give it a try. Since we can't post covers here, Its a good way to show off the cover songs you created with PGMusic products
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 12/09/13 03:36 PM
one more thought about Danny's show:

SJ has an undeniable "in crowd". Anytime somebody in the inner circle performs, they suck the audience out of every other show that might be on at the same time.

But last night I saw something for the first time... Danny played at the same time as somebody in the inner circle, and one by one, I saw names of people who were in the other show popping up in Danny's show. That NEVER happens! (well, until Danny)

Apparently they were checking out the other shows and Danny's was compelling enough to draw away the devoted followers of the house band. That's no small accomplishment!

Good job Danny! I see you're already destined for a spot in the inner circle.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 12/09/13 03:59 PM
I already picked a bone with Danny. Why is he playing in the middle of the night?

If I recollect, Danny said he was only doing "a 30 minute equipment check". I expect to hear a ho bunch mo oota him on SJ. Danny is always loyal to his BB friends by tuning in and supporting them. The sort of loyalty that everyone needs and appreciates.

You go, Danny C!
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 12/09/13 07:00 PM
one more thought about Danny's show:

Good job Danny! I see you're already destined for a spot in the inner circle.

Now that "inner circle" thing has always scared me Pat, just kidding I have a good feel for what you are referencing here.

Thanks for the kind words.

Later,
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 12/09/13 07:08 PM
Don,

Thanks for tuning in last night and just FYI there were a few more of our forum friends there that did not participate in the chat. And did so as a favor to me in an effort to get some additional critique from outside of the aforementioned "inner circle".

And as I knew they would, they came through in top notch fashion by offering me some very valuable insight on what I can do to make my future shows a bit more professional.

While they remain nameless but I am very grateful for their insight.

Later,
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 12/09/13 07:09 PM

Floyd,

Hey man thanks for trying. Re: the spinning my wife had the same issue on her Kindle and it was because she did not have the latest version of Flash installed. Just a thought.

Later,
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 12/09/13 07:10 PM
Originally Posted By: jazzmandan

Can't get on, the site seems to be having technical problems tonight. Winter Storms all over the US.

Jazzman,

Thanks for the effort to watch and you thinking of me.

later,
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 12/09/13 07:24 PM
Hey Danny! - Just popped over there and saw a few seconds of "Larry" (he was having a few problems of his own...)... so it wasn't a flash problem. Probably just network traffic at the time... really sorry I missed ya! When's the next one?
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 12/09/13 07:45 PM

Joanne,

I almost got up at 2AM to watch you the other night in an effort to put a little guilt trip on ya but I had to give in to slumber.

Later,
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 12/09/13 07:46 PM
Hey Danny! - Just popped over there and saw a few seconds of "Larry" (he was having a few problems of his own...)... so it wasn't a flash problem. Probably just network traffic at the time... really sorry I missed ya! When's the next one?

I will be putting something on the schedule in a day or so. I am very busy with live gigs this week, three to be exact so I know it won't be this weekend.

Thanks again for the thought and effort.

Later,
Hi Guys. I think the "spinning" thing is definately a flash problem. I had it the other day and discovered that in an effort to remove all the junk toolbars I had disabled flash..so streetjlly just "spun"
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 12/10/13 08:27 PM
So guys i use my laptop as my BiaB/Rb performance setup feeding it with a Presonus audiobox, and TC helicon VW. Can i just take the extra output directly into my Desktop through my M-audio sound card for audio, and then use the USB cam for the video?
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 12/11/13 05:00 AM
that's pretty much what I do Rob.

The trick is to keep the streetjelly computer's sound off and monitor the tracks with headphones so you don't get a continuous delayed loop feeding back thru the PC to the mic to SJ and back again
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 12/11/13 06:27 AM
Pat i did my setup this evening, and i can get everything working, but wow the delay is nearly 4 second from the musician's screen to the viewer's screen. I guess that does not matter when you actually broadcast as you can't see the view screen. I just patched a cord from the one of the outputs on my audiobox to the m-audio card. It seems clean and clear on my end.

On setup i see that i am not hitting the red, but just tagging the yellow on louder notes. Just as soon as i can get back a reasonable voice from this dratted cold i will do a set.

I could not get google chrome to work with my camera, so I had to resort to IE as a browser. I have a set of over the ear mini headphones i think i will monitor the mix with.

Sounds like fun so far.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 12/11/13 07:19 AM
let us know when you'll be on!

I want to heckle!
Hi Rob. Me too... let me know when you are on ...except that most of you guys tend to broadcast in the middle of the night (although what you are doing out of bed at that time of night I will never know!!)

I am off on a month's holiday this Sunday. Sans internet connection!!! So it will probably be in the new year.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 12/11/13 02:57 PM
Rob (or pilfer; pickpocket; steal; plagiarize; ripoff; etc), your flatulent Old Irish Oklahoma Cowboy will be in the front row sucking on a huge mug of hot cappuccino, making faces and throwing stuff.

Break a femur or tibia, my little brother!
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 12/11/13 05:40 PM
Josie, what's tomorrow looking like, weather-wise, since you are already there?

Bro Rob, a bit of valuable advice: "Do not schedule your performance concurrent with either Josie C or Little Lana (pronounced "Lawn-ah") Mason because they are both "Viewer Suckers" aka "Jelly Suckers." But, again, they have both worked their keisters off to win such devotion and fan loyalty. I try not to miss either of these ladies shows.
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 12/11/13 07:49 PM
Heckle on Pat it's mo betta!

Good advise brudda Don, I will try to pick a time when the skinney kid from gym class is on so i can kick some musical sand in his face

Josie I will try to find a time to play when you are not counting ZZZZZZssss
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 12/11/13 08:31 PM
Hey Pat, and other that have used SJ. When i do a broadcast test i find that The volume coming out of the speakers is kinds of low so i wonder how that will translate to the views system.

In other words when i play other music thru the minotors on muy desktop i get loud volud at the setting i have it, when i send it over from the audio box and my laptop into the delta card, i get very low volumes, but all the Vue meters show in the yellow. I am puzzled. \

I guess that it does not matter as long as the vocals are mixed well in the music.
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 12/12/13 12:12 AM
Rohb,

1st of all can't wait to hear ya. Secondly if you want to do a test PM me with a time and I will do your sound check with you man. Just give me a little notice, not much just a little.

Later,
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 12/12/13 04:48 AM
Will do Danny most likely nearer the weekend sometime.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 12/12/13 05:09 AM
Rob,

consider scheduling your first appearance this saturday before or after JosieC... she usually gets some viewers from this forum, and since the same people would also know you, they'd probably stay and listen. Otherwise, attendance can be a real grab-bag.

regarding your volume, you shouldn't be monitoring with your speakers. In fact, turn them all the way down or even off.

Monitor with your head phones and get the mix right there (for yourself) then let somebody on the other end tell you if the volume is OK on that end. Danny has already offered to help, but there is ALWAYS somebody watching and they'll help you sort out the volume if Danny isn't online when you're ready to test.

fracture an appendage. I don't care which one. Legs are popular.

wink
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 12/12/13 05:22 AM
I will try to make that one happen but will be later in the day most likely after noon pst
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 12/12/13 05:47 PM
The viewers are frequently asked "How's my sound?" Some, like Pat and myself, will comment on the mix knowing that the performer is unaware. In which case, it's important to monitor your screen. I've seen some go on and on with no audio because they won't watch the screen.

Certainly looking forward to your show, little brother.

"Fracture a tibia or a fibula!"
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 12/12/13 06:17 PM
I will keep a sharp eye on the screen. I have some small over the ear headphones to hear the mix with. That should be okay.
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 12/12/13 11:27 PM
Originally Posted By: Robh
I will try to make that one happen but will be later in the day most likely after noon pst

Break a leg man!

PS: Depending on what time Pat ends his show I may try to do an hour after him.

Later,
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 12/13/13 06:31 PM
Robh,

I will follow Pat Saturday, looks like a PG Music Saturday on SJ.

I plan to do a mixed bag hence "Gumbo" title . . . some jazz, some country, some blues and an original or two.

Later,
Posted By: MarioD Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 12/13/13 08:44 PM
Brother I hope you do Teach Me Tonight so you can show the other members what a great job you do on that song!
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 12/13/13 09:01 PM
I will keep a sharp eye on the screen. I have some small over the ear headphones to hear the mix with. That should be okay.

I'm waiting with bated breath (read herring or sardine) until I see/hear you, little brother.
Ain't SJ something?
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 12/13/13 10:25 PM
They even let dancin' cheekins in that place!
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 12/13/13 10:37 PM
They even let dancin' cheekins in that place!

Long as the chicken is donning Depends, Rob! They check at the door. Nothing worse than a chicken pre-loaded with Milk Of Magnesia dancing the Funky Chicken. Know what I mean, Vern?
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 12/14/13 01:41 AM
Oooops make that 12:00 on SJ following Pat.

Sorry it's that learning how to tell time stuff I am have issues with!

Later,
Posted By: Sundance Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 12/14/13 07:46 PM
I enjoyed all of you on SJ today. Joanne the kids were so cute - Jonathan couldn't get an cuter and Holly's got her mom's musical genes. Pat did some cool jazzy Christmas songs.

It's the first time I've seen Danny and neighbor you were nothing short of awesome! Loved it.

Don, I cancelled my artist account and rejoined as a fan - that's why the blank avatar - didn't have time to do another one before the shows started. Leaving SJ to the folks already playing live. Too busy with other things.

Glad I was able to catch all of you this morning.

Josie
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 12/14/13 08:29 PM
Josie,

1st of all I am very sad to think that you will not be joining us on SJ, I hope you change your mind as I know you and your songs would be big hits. Please think about it a bit more.

Thank you for your very kind words neighbor. It is always great to have 2 acts that started me with a nice audience, thanks Josie and Pat.

PS: I will have a "driver" on the computer for my next show in an effort to handle the chat part of the experience more efficiently. I am sooo old school when it cones to playing a live gig as it is all about giving the audience as much or more music than they pay for, but in this type of venue it is much different as I think a virtual audience expects more feedback. So I am thinking having someone on the computer on my end relaying messages would workout much better.

Thanks again!

Later,
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 12/14/13 08:35 PM
Quote:

Don, I cancelled my artist account and rejoined as a fan - that's why the blank avatar - didn't have time to do another one before the shows started. Leaving SJ to the folks already playing live. Too busy with other things.

Sweetheart, I remember your views on playing live but I hadn't had a clue that it would preclude an avatar. Nuts!
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 12/14/13 09:00 PM
I plan on encouraging Josie C to schedule Holly to do her own show when they return from holiday. Little Holly was just getting into it in the end. Very cute kids.
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 12/14/13 11:49 PM
Danny C. was smooth and hot (can you be smooth and hot at the same time?) ... and I mean "hot" in the musical sense (ha, ha).

Sorry I missed josiec and Pat -- I was actually working.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 12/15/13 12:09 AM
Kev, you needn't prove that you were workin, providing that you have sufficient witnesses over the age of majority. Immediate family do not qualify. Oh yeah, and Pat Marr doesn't qualify as an impartial witness.
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 12/15/13 12:15 AM
Had a great time on SJ this afternoon, saw Don, Pat, Danny, and a few others there.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 12/15/13 12:53 AM
You were totally fantastic, lil Bro. Anxious for your next show. Unfortunately, I can't perform live anymore. I still can appreciate "home grown" music that SJ provides me. Thanks again.
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 12/15/13 04:58 AM
That was fun. I look forward to the next show.
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 12/15/13 05:10 PM
Kevin,

Thanks, I will correct the "not knowing who's watching issue" for sure. I apologize for not even knowing you were there man!

Looking forward to your next show.

later,
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 12/15/13 05:11 PM
Rob,

Ya did great man! See again real soon I hope.

Later,
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 12/15/13 05:33 PM
I enjoyed all of you on SJ today. Joanne the kids were so cute - Jonathan couldn't get an cuter and Holly's got her mom's musical genes. Pat did some cool jazzy Christmas songs.

It's the first time I've seen Danny and neighbor you were nothing short of awesome! Loved it.

Glad I was able to catch all of you this morning.

Josie

Josie, when your absence is so widely noticed, it speaks volumes as to how much that you are loved by your PG friends. You, dear lady, are family. You are very much loved and missed. Jus'sayin.
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 12/16/13 04:47 AM
I heard this evening from a good source (Rational Enquirer) that our good friend Pat Marr succumb to a diabetic coma from spending too much time eating pure uncut StreetJelly!

Looks like he has a confectionary monkey on his back!
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 12/16/13 05:31 PM
I heard this evening from a good source (Rational Enquirer) that our good friend Pat Marr succumb to a diabetic coma from spending too much time eating pure uncut StreetJelly!

Looks like he has a confectionary monkey on his back!

I warned that boy to start cutting that Jelly with a little Jack Daniels! Some kids never learn!

Later,
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 01/02/14 04:11 PM
How are our streetjelly folks doing? I am planning on doing an acoustic set followed by a backing track set there soon. I might sneak on a couple of times to practice, though. Hope to see you all soon on the air!
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 01/02/14 06:03 PM
I'll be watchin'
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 01/02/14 07:13 PM
Looking forward to your next set Kevin! I am on next Friday the 10th at 8:00 PM.

On a side note I wrote Frankie with a suggestion that when scheduling a show we not only include a start time but also an end time. This way we can all be a little more careful not to book shows/sets over fellow performers, you know a courtesy thing if that still applies in this day and age.:>

See/Hear ya soon!

Later,
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 01/02/14 08:38 PM
That is a good idea danny, but one issue i see is that once we get started on a show it might run over and into another performer no matter what. Some folks get started and just keep chuggin' So if someone schedules 5:00 to 6:00 and you schedule 6:00 to 7:00 they may go to 6:30 so whatcha gonna do?
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 01/03/14 04:34 PM
That is a good idea danny, but one issue i see is that once we get started on a show it might run over and into another performer no matter what. Some folks get started and just keep chuggin' So if someone schedules 5:00 to 6:00 and you schedule 6:00 to 7:00 they may go to 6:30 so whatcha gonna do?

Rob,

I sent you a PM.

Later,
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 01/03/14 08:41 PM
I think I need to practice up on my "backing track" set a little more before I do another one. I sort of messed a few things up yesterday. Luckily (for me), I am not that much of a perfectionist (ha, ha).

In my mind I am ready, but reality often interferes with daydreaming.

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is." -- Yogi Berra
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 01/05/14 03:05 PM
I'll be doing a show at noon today (eastern time). At least 1/2 of it will be songs I don't play much at all. A few I have played once or twice on SJ, one or two not at all. If you are looking for a smooth and polished show, look elsewhere (ha, ha).

I hope a few of you can make it.
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 01/05/14 04:43 PM
Yesterday (saturday the 4th jan '14) was the best Jelly day yet. Great shows and lots of fun to be had
Posted By: MarioD Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 01/05/14 05:39 PM
I'll be doing a show at noon today (eastern time). At least 1/2 of it will be songs I don't play much at all. A few I have played once or twice on SJ, one or two not at all. If you are looking for a smooth and polished show, look elsewhere (ha, ha).

I hope a few of you can make it.

Kevin, that was a great broadcast. I really liked ‘Falling Again’, that is a fantastic tune!

Unfortunately I gotta run now but I’ll try and catch your next broadcast.
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Anyone heard of/used StreetJelly.com? - 01/05/14 06:37 PM
I caught a couple three Kevin Songs, they were great. I had to run as i have big family dinner here later for one of the kids anniversary
© PG Music Forums