PG Music Home
Posted By: silvertones My next project that needs help - 09/06/13 10:43 PM
I want to be able to record promo videos at home.I want to be able to use the audio from my mixer.
My plan is to use a Logitec HD web cam and a laptop with a high quality PCMCIA audio card.
What I now need is free video recording software that will let me choose the web cam as the video device and the soundcard as the audio record device. Then do some editting and finally dump it down to MPEG 2.
Software recommendations?
Thanks
Posted By: Mac Re: My next project that needs help - 09/06/13 11:00 PM
I can't help you out on the free software front, but can tell you that it is very important to find out if the webcam, software, computer and chosen format for the video results in good audio to video sync when it is a music performance video.

I can tell you that at this end, we gave up trying to do it with a computer solution for the actual recording and use one of those digital cameras that include a stereo mic on it that has jacks, I put together a simple set of resistive Y pads with ten-turn pot adjustment to enable jacking Line Inputs into those mini mic jacks on the camera. The camera is a JVC, middle of the line model, even here one has to check the actual camera for good sync'ing by itself before taking the plunge.

The extra expense over a webcam is worth it, the resolution is much better, the lens is very much better and I can get the digital video into the computer for editing, web publishing, burning of DVD, etc. using either the USB connect or memory card.

That sync issue was a real bummer and IMO attempts to get good demos without sync was time wasted.

--Mac
Posted By: silvertones Re: My next project that needs help - 09/06/13 11:12 PM
The issue is you can't find cheap camcorders that have any input jacks anymore.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: My next project that needs help - 09/07/13 12:34 AM
Originally Posted By: silvertones
I want to be able to record promo videos at home.I want to be able to use the audio from my mixer.
My plan is to use a Logitec HD web cam and a laptop with a high quality PCMCIA audio card.
What I now need is free video recording software that will let me choose the web cam as the video device and the soundcard as the audio record device. Then do some editting and finally dump it down to MPEG 2.
Thanks

if you decide to go the webcam route, it will almost certainly come with a CD containing some kind of video capturing and editing software.
Posted By: silvertones Re: My next project that needs help - 09/07/13 01:26 AM
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
Thanks

if you decide to go the webcam route, it will almost certainly come with a CD containing some kind of video capturing and editing software.

Never thought of that.
Posted By: silvertones Re: My next project that needs help - 09/07/13 01:35 AM
The thing I'm trying to get straight before I by a webcam is this:
The webcam has built in mics however I don't want to use the mics so the software needs to let me choose the audio source and the video source separately.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: My next project that needs help - 09/07/13 01:40 AM
You can mute the webcam mic in the software, no problem.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: My next project that needs help - 09/07/13 01:48 AM
The webcam has built in mics however I don't want to use the mics so the software needs to let me choose the audio source and the video source separately.

John,
I think you'll find that most video editing software will let you completely replace the existing audio with audio of your choice. So, if you are recording yourself singing along with backing tracks, you should be able to replace the recorded audio with your studio version. The timing will be exact, you'll just have to slide it along the timeline until it synchs with your lips as you sing
Posted By: silvertones Re: My next project that needs help - 09/07/13 02:06 AM
This video stuff is all new to me.
Posted By: Mac Re: My next project that needs help - 09/07/13 02:11 AM

And that is where I found the sync to go straight to hades...

Two completely different internal clocks. And it is difficult to impossible to get things to line up via editing, as the audio file may end up shorter all around than the video, or vice verse.

I'm trying to find an affordable digicam that will sync it up for you.

--Mac
Posted By: Noel96 Re: My next project that needs help - 09/07/13 02:46 AM
John,

I've just been playing around with VideoPad Editor from NCH software. From what I can see, it's free for home use. It's also relatively easy to use.

If you have a look at any of the songs in my signature, these were assembled using Open Shot Video Editor in Ubuntu. (I know you use Ubuntu and Open Shot is opensource freeware and a multitrack video editor).

I'm just passing this information along in case it's useful.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: My next project that needs help - 09/07/13 04:19 AM
There's a whole host of freebie screen capture softwares that will allow you to capture specific programs and claim that they will allow you to choose the audio source.

I was unable to make this work with any of the following on my system, but all were recommended to me as being capable.

YouCam
Camtasia
CamStudio

I think the issue is that right now, I have to run my 32 bit DAW software as administrator, and the screen capture software was running native 64 bit on my Win7 Home Premium 64 system. None of the folks recommending these programs had that hoop to jump through.

I do think that Mac's answer is probably where you will see/hear the most joy. The problem arises from the fact that web cams also usually are USB 2.0 devices, and a high quality video data stream may not be even possible over USB.

-Scott
Posted By: silvertones Re: My next project that needs help - 09/07/13 01:07 PM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
John,

I've just been playing around with VideoPad Editor from NCH software. From what I can see, it's free for home use. It's also relatively easy to use.

If you have a look at any of the songs in my signature, these were assembled using Open Shot Video Editor in Ubuntu. (I know you use Ubuntu and Open Shot is opensource freeware and a multitrack video editor).

I'm just passing this information along in case it's useful.

Regards,
Noel

I happen to have that app. It worked very easily. I dragged in a video that Pat made, muted it's audio, dragged in the good audio and voila. I just need to find the equivalent app for Windows now. Thw ubuntu machine is to old and slow.
Posted By: jphillips Re: My next project that needs help - 09/07/13 03:55 PM
John:

Here is a guy who is using a flip camcorder and recording his audio into Reaper and then assembling them in Reaper.

He used a clap to sync his audio and video. I don't know how well this works but the youtube video is here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuZX06U51zA

You could possibly record your audio into RealBand or into something like a Zoom portable audio recorder and use the same technique to sync them in video software.

I've just started using Sony Movie Studio Platinum 12 for which I paid $79 but is available now for $29 - download at Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Movie-Studio-...ny+movie+studio

Movie Studio Platinum 12 has some requirements of the video card which you would want to check out
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/moviestudiope

Just some ideas. Not totally free, but fairly inexpensive.

John
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: My next project that needs help - 09/08/13 01:02 AM
John,
Depending on which version of windows you have, you might already have windows movie maker. It can do what you want.

The more recent versions don't come with that app anymore, so here's a link to CNET's DOWNLOAD.COM search results for "VIDEO EDITOR"

search cnet for video editors
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: My next project that needs help - 09/08/13 04:33 AM
John,
Depending on which version of windows you have, you might already have windows movie maker. It can do what you want.

The more recent versions don't come with that app anymore, so here's a link to CNET's DOWNLOAD.COM search results for "VIDEO EDITOR"

search cnet for video editors

There is still a movie maker app for Win 7. It's called Windows Live Movie Maker and I can't remember if I downloaded it, or if it's squirreled away somewhere and you have to 'discover' it.

MS says that it's part of a freeware package called Windows Essentials. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/movie-maker
Posted By: rharv Re: My next project that needs help - 09/08/13 01:56 PM
MovieMaker now requires a MS Live/Essentials routine, and usually a download .. although it does come pre-installed on a few systems.

There is rumor that you can download the older WMM without needing the new Live version; as quite a few people prefer the older version over the newer one.
Imagine that. Consumers not liking the new 'improved' MS product.<grin>
The older one actually has more features.
Posted By: silvertones Re: My next project that needs help - 09/08/13 09:48 PM
So I purchased the Logitech HD 615C high def Webcam.It's a 1080p and the audio comes from the mixer headphone jack into my A2ZSNB sound card with the special Lex Nahumury drivers that he built just for me.
The Webcam also comes with capturing software as well. Set the video as 615C and the audio dropdown to the A2ZSNB.
The sound and video quality is fantastic this way.
BTW I use a separate computer as the video/audio capturing device.
I'm very please. Next test will be tonight when it gets dark. All the interior lights off.Will then see how the video records with just my stage lights.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: My next project that needs help - 09/09/13 12:44 AM
next cool trick:
if you put a background of a single solid color (hang a blanket or tarp or something) then you can replace the solid color with scenes from other videos or photos.

Find a video of the stage at the grand ol' opry and you can superimpose your video right onto the stage
Posted By: silvertones Re: My next project that needs help - 09/09/13 02:04 AM
next cool trick:
if you put a background of a single solid color (hang a blanket or tarp or something) then you can replace the solid color with scenes from other videos or photos.

Find a video of the stage at the grand ol' opry and you can superimpose your video right onto the stage

You're reading my mind but how would I do that.Get the picture on the blanket.I want to redo my video demos that you did and this time have a background,maybe outside at night,that will really show off the lights and I'll even wear some sort of costume.And of course having the line in audio is awesome.
BTW Video Pad is far superior to the capture prog that came with the camera so I'm now using it.
Posted By: Ryszard Re: My next project that needs help - 09/09/13 03:06 AM
John,

You've gone from zero to sixty in a single page of forum posts. Soon I expect you to be rivaling Charlie G in video production! cool

R.
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: My next project that needs help - 09/09/13 10:36 AM
John
I haven't read the whole thread so sorry if I am repeating here. I think the NCH Video pad software is fantastic (like Noel said) However it is not free. Plus minus $39 for home use.
Regards
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: My next project that needs help - 09/09/13 11:30 AM
Quote:
You're reading my mind but how would I do that.Get the picture on the blanket.

actually, you don't put anything on the blanket. The blanket just provides a solid background. Once you have that, most video software can swap everything that is a solid color with other video.

Exactly how its done depends on the software. I have video pad... if I get a chance I'll see if I can figure out how that works... (but I bet you beat me to it)

wink
Posted By: silvertones Re: My next project that needs help - 09/09/13 12:06 PM
Originally Posted By: jo131
John
I haven't read the whole thread so sorry if I am repeating here. I think the NCH Video pad software is fantastic (like Noel said) However it is not free. Plus minus $39 for home use.
Regards

I dl it from them and I think it is free for home use.I don't get any requests for $$$$$ YET!
Posted By: silvertones Re: My next project that needs help - 09/09/13 12:09 PM
Quote:
You're reading my mind but how would I do that.Get the picture on the blanket.

actually, you don't put anything on the blanket. The blanket just provides a solid background. Once you have that, most video software can swap everything that is a solid color with other video.

Exactly how its done depends on the software. I have video pad... if I get a chance I'll see if I can figure out how that works... (but I bet you beat me to it)

wink

OK Pat you work on that. I have other details to work out as well.
I signed up for STREETJELLY and want to get things ready for that.
I contacted them and I can do covers AND I can use tracks.
Very fun site. I watched Kevin last night.
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: My next project that needs help - 09/09/13 12:19 PM
John
Regards

I dl it from them and I think it is free for home use.I don't get any requests for $$$$$ YET!

Hi John. It's just a two week (I think) trial period then the software stops working and you have to buy a license. Very well worth it and so much better than movie maker
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: My next project that needs help - 09/09/13 12:36 PM
Quote:
I signed up for STREETJELLY and want to get things ready for that.
I contacted them and I can do covers AND I can use tracks.
Very fun site. I watched Kevin last night.

keep us posted about when your slot gets scheduled! I hope a lot of us get involved... looks like fun!
Posted By: Mac Re: My next project that needs help - 09/09/13 02:34 PM
From the days of Analog Video, the process of using a single color backdrop that can then be edited to place a different scene on it is called, "Chroma Key" process.

Many of the digital editors, etc. will use this same name in their menus and commands, but, of course, use digital algorithms to accomplish the same task. Much the same idea as Audio plugins that emulate older and known analog processes, such as audio "compressors" etc.

Chroma Key

--Mac
Posted By: silvertones Re: My next project that needs help - 09/09/13 09:45 PM
John
Regards

Hi John. It's just a two week (I think) trial period then the software stops working and you have to buy a license. Very well worth it and so much better than movie maker

If that happens I'll buy it.
Posted By: silvertones Re: My next project that needs help - 09/09/13 09:45 PM
Originally Posted By: Mac
From the days of Analog Video, the process of using a single color backdrop that can then be edited to place a different scene on it is called, "Chroma Key" process.

Many of the digital editors, etc. will use this same name in their menus and commands, but, of course, use digital algorithms to accomplish the same task. Much the same idea as Audio plugins that emulate older and known analog processes, such as audio "compressors" etc.

Chroma Key

--Mac

Yep found that out last night.Thanks
Posted By: silvertones Re: My next project that needs help - 09/09/13 09:50 PM
I got a black drop and have been testing things. Just some details to work out.
Not sure why this happens but now that I have a black background when I use a chase scene with all the lights flashing it causes pixelating. Didn't do this when up against the wall.Light yellow. One thought though is that when I tried it with the black drop it was totally dark in the house. Maybe I need a little ambient light to keep the camera from freaking out.This is not a big issue at all because the flashing lights are a little cheesy on a video.Color change is nice though.Chase scenes live are nice.
The video looks really nice though with the black drop.Maybe a white "SILVERTONES" across the top? Some white notes? Stars?
Any thoughts other then the full CHROMA trick?
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: My next project that needs help - 09/09/13 10:22 PM
John,

one reason it might pixellate when you use lights: lots of web cams are auto focusing, and changes in light can affect that. Possibly when it changes focus it results in a pixellation (? zatawurd?)

if that's the case there may be a way to disable the autofocus. Docs would say one way or the other.Or there may be blogs written by other webcam users whose main beef is the autofocusing, including instructions for fixin' it.
Posted By: silvertones Re: My next project that needs help - 09/09/13 10:27 PM
John,

one reason it might pixellate when you use lights: lots of web cams are auto focusing, and changes in light can affect that. Possibly when it changes focus it results in a pixellation (? zatawurd?)

if that's the case there may be a way to disable the autofocus. Docs would say one way or the other.Or there may be blogs written by other webcam users whose main beef is the autofocusing, including instructions for fixin' it.

It is set to auto focus. It's just unchecking a box.
This is sure fun!See what you started.
Posted By: rharv Re: My next project that needs help - 09/09/13 10:50 PM
As for Video Pad; there are two versions, pro and free.
They are separate downloads on their site, both on this page -

http://www.nchsoftware.com/videopad/index.html

"Get it Free. A free video editor version is available for non-commercial use only."

Notice the paid version has an extra P in the filename.
Posted By: silvertones Re: My next project that needs help - 09/09/13 11:11 PM
Originally Posted By: rharv
As for Video Pad; there are two versions, pro and free.
They are separate downloads on their site, both on this page -

http://www.nchsoftware.com/videopad/index.html

"Get it Free. A free video editor version is available for non-commercial use only."

Notice the paid version has an extra P in the filename.

I thought I had read that right.
Posted By: Mac Re: My next project that needs help - 09/10/13 12:01 AM
LED lighting is often not steady light, it is pulsed, but the human eye can't see the pulses. But the Frame Rate of the camera will likely not be in sync.

See if your cam has an adjust to Frame Rate and try others, likely longer might work.

--Mac
Posted By: silvertones Re: My next project that needs help - 09/10/13 01:27 AM
Originally Posted By: Mac
LED lighting is often not steady light, it is pulsed, but the human eye can't see the pulses. But the Frame Rate of the camera will likely not be in sync.

See if your cam has an adjust to Frame Rate and try others, likely longer might work.

--Mac

Lights are incandescent not LEDs
Posted By: Mac Re: My next project that needs help - 09/10/13 01:43 AM
...when I use a chase scene with all the lights flashing it causes pixelating...

The chase rate is likely the cause, beating against the frame rate.

Stop the chase and check what you get then as a test.

Sorry for assuming LEDs, lately those are what usually cause the problem for me.

--Mac
Posted By: Sundance Re: My next project that needs help - 09/10/13 02:16 AM
John,

The tutorials I've read say to use some very soft ambient lighting on the sides of your backdrop out of the shot.
And stand at least three feet in front of
the backdrop.

Can't wait to see you!
Posted By: pghboemike Re: My next project that needs help - 09/10/13 02:55 AM
green screen tutorials

https://www.youtube.com/results?filters=p...p;lclk=playlist

backgrounds

https://www.youtube.com/results?filters=p...p;lclk=playlist
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: My next project that needs help - 09/10/13 03:28 PM
scroll ahead to 4:14 to see what happens if you wear clothing that's the same color as your chroma background...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERwzlEPgbjk

(click the timeline between the O and P in BLOOPER and you'll be pretty close to the 4:14 marker)
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: My next project that needs help - 09/10/13 07:59 PM
I think that the pixelation has to do with the codec, and perhaps frame rate aliasing issues. Keep in mind that the whole point of video compression is to reduce file size. This is accomplished by leaving as many pixels the same from frame to frame as possible; at least that's one of the methodologies. Codecs also 'group' like formatted pixels. You don't notice it when there isn't a bunch of change of color because the visual system is trained to see change (that's how it's so relatively easy to see satellites on a clear night). With the color chase, you are making the codec do what it doesn't want to. It's trying to group and keep things static, but you interrupt that with color changes that aren't necessarily part of the compression's expectation.

Try changing the codec - but your comment that the chase is kind of cheesy is right on.

I would work in some live footage as well with audience participation as part of the shots.
Posted By: silvertones Re: My next project that needs help - 09/11/13 07:37 PM
Originally Posted By: rockstar_not
I think that the pixelation has to do with the codec, and perhaps frame rate aliasing issues. Keep in mind that the whole point of video compression is to reduce file size. This is accomplished by leaving as many pixels the same from frame to frame as possible; at least that's one of the methodologies. Codecs also 'group' like formatted pixels. You don't notice it when there isn't a bunch of change of color because the visual system is trained to see change (that's how it's so relatively easy to see satellites on a clear night). With the color chase, you are making the codec do what it doesn't want to. It's trying to group and keep things static, but you interrupt that with color changes that aren't necessarily part of the compression's expectation.

Try changing the codec - but your comment that the chase is kind of cheesy is right on.

I would work in some live footage as well with audience participation as part of the shots.

After really troubleshooting the pixelating I discovered the issue. There was no issue in real time. No issue when recording to the Webcam capture software. The only issue was recording using Video Pad software. The record bit rate was WAY too low. I upped the bit rate and it looks great.Except the sunlight in the windows.
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: My next project that needs help - 09/11/13 11:17 PM
Originally Posted By: rockstar_not

After really troubleshooting the pixelating I discovered the issue. There was no issue in real time. No issue when recording to the Webcam capture software. The only issue was recording using Video Pad software. The record bit rate was WAY too low. I upped the bit rate and it looks great.Except the sunlight in the windows.

John, the bitrate used IS part of both frame rate and codec that is being used. Inside of the recording software, it is using a particular methodology to convert what is coming in analog from the camera to digital format. There is likely live compression happening when this is being done. There is certainly sampling happening, which is where the frame rate aliasing which Mac referred to can occur. And unless you are recording video full smoke, it's likely doing compression while saving the video files at the recording process. Then when you go to save the file, you likely have some quality options which are again compression algorithms at play. don't be surprised if you upload the video to YouTube, you see this pixelation thing raise it's ugly head. Upload in the highest quality that you can.

-Scott
Posted By: silvertones Re: My next project that needs help - 09/12/13 02:35 AM
I'm really a beginner here when it comes to video.All I can tell you at this point is I'm now recording at the highest MP4 bit rate available to me in the software.I will upload these files to YouTube untouched.I guess?
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: My next project that needs help - 09/12/13 04:42 AM
YouTube will do it's own compression. It's like uploading to soundcloud, it forces it's own compression algorithm on your upload.

There are video analogies to what we've been doing with audio all over the place. Soon you'll be flying. Btw sound card thread in the recording forum needing your kx expertise
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: My next project that needs help - 09/12/13 06:31 AM
John this is so cool, you're my hero buddy. I can't tell you how many times I've been told I need to do some vids but I'm like the kid with his finger up his nose going wuuuttt?? I can watch vids all day long but producing one? No clue.

There's a big thread on Keyboard Corner about this and the guys there said the same thing Mac said earlier. It's easily done with a good HD camera with XLR inputs for sound so it just plugs into your mixing board or you use high quality mics. Those cameras start at $700-$1,000 so I stopped thinking about that. If you're able to do it for cheap, that's fantastic.

Bob
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: My next project that needs help - 09/12/13 11:44 AM
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
I can watch vids all day long but producing one? No clue.

There's a big thread on Keyboard Corner about this and the guys there said the same thing Mac said earlier. It's easily done with a good HD camera with XLR inputs for sound so it just plugs into your mixing board or you use high quality mics. Those cameras start at $700-$1,000 so I stopped thinking about that. If you're able to do it for cheap, that's fantastic.

Bob

Bob,
do you have any kind of camcorder or web cam? even a cheap one?
In the same sense that none of us has a $100,000 recording studio but we still crank out songs that are "pretty good", it's possible to make a video that's "pretty good" without dropping a truckload of cash.

With an abundance of free and/or low cost video editing software available, it's not cost prohibitive to jump in and start experimenting. Don't worry about spending ANY money until the free stuff that's already available starts to hold you back.

Did you happen to watch Jo's video? I don't think she used anything but her family's camcorder and an entry level paid version of a software that also has a free version... and it turned out great!

You're a smart guy. Most of this software is fairly intuitive, you'll figure it out with a small time investment.
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: My next project that needs help - 09/12/13 04:35 PM
I should be able to figure it out later but right now I'm in the middle of setting up a whole new home entertainment "experience" based on a cable card, Windows Media Center and running a 25' HDMI cable through a hole I put in my closet wall so I'm now using my living room 55" TV as a PC monitor while keeping the PC itself in the bedroom with my other 32". One of the things I get to do is use Biab and other music software in the living room where my oh so nice Altec Model 14's are and they really sound awesome. But, that's just for playback, my actual studio and keyboards are in the bedroom. I have both the 55" and 32" monitors on an HDMI switch so all I have to do is step into the living room to check the mix on the big system plus I'm watching YT vids and other PC stuff in the living room as well. So far I'm loving it but I'm not completely finished with that project yet.

Producing some vids will be next on my to do list and this thread is perfect timing because I haven't looked into it at all except for that thread on Keyboard Corner. No, I don't have any kind of video cameras at all except for my older Android phone. I'm thinking by the time I'm ready for that John will be done with his project and I can basically copy what he's doing.

Bob
© PG Music Forums