PG Music Home
Posted By: gibson Lou Reed has died. - 10/28/13 03:37 AM
Lou Reed has died at the age of 71.
He may have "Walked on the Wild Side" but it will always be a "Perfect Day".

Another part of my youth departs.
RIP

Alyn
Posted By: Ryszard Re: Lou Reed has died. - 10/28/13 07:50 AM
I just read an extended article at cnn.com. I knew the name and, of course, his one radio hit, but had no idea how influential he was. He was called the most innovative lyricist besides Dylan, and at least partly responsible for the subgenres of punk and glam rock. I wish I had known more about him while he was alive.

I also learned that he was married to someone I consider to be a goddess of electronic music, Laurie Anderson. Knowing what I do about her, it would seem that they were perfect for each other.
Posted By: ROG Re: Lou Reed has died. - 10/28/13 09:38 AM
Quote:
Another part of my youth departs.

Alyn, that's exactly how I feel too. There seems to have been so many of the old faces disappear during this past year.

It was listening to Walk On The Wild Side which gave me the courage to start singing!

RIP Lou.

ROG.
Posted By: rharv Re: Lou Reed has died. - 10/29/13 01:13 AM
I am saddened. Spent many hours listening and learning from his work.
Posted By: PRearden Re: Lou Reed has died. - 10/29/13 03:43 AM
If you're like me and you're saying, "Who?"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lou_Reed

Thought I save you the trouble of googleing.
Posted By: gibson Re: Lou Reed has died. - 10/29/13 07:24 AM
My error! I told a few friends yesterday and some also went "who?" so for those that haven't heard of Lou Reed, I link to a page, in a British newspaper, where a Music Journalist lists the 10 essential tracks, and I quote, that sum up the genius of the Velvet Underground founder:

Lou Reed: 10 essential tracks, as suggested by Neil McCormick

Alyn
Posted By: Ryszard Re: Lou Reed has died. - 10/29/13 08:28 AM
I read an extended article on my iPhone at cnn.mobi. Here is an article from CNN's main site that contains most of the same information as well as a slide show, a couple of videos, and an article about other greats we have lost this year.

I liked one comment in the mobile version that was missing from the article below. As best I recall it said something like: "Velvet Underground's first album only sold 30,000 copies. I think everyone who bought it started a band."

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/27/showbiz/lou-reed-obit/index.html?iref=allsearch
Posted By: rharv Re: Lou Reed has died. - 10/31/13 01:05 AM
I am saddened to hear there are those who say 'who?'..

Poor deprived souls. My personal faves are from solo releases much later, like New Sensations and Mistrial.
© PG Music Forums