PG Music Home
Posted By: MarioD New song - Castles in the Sun - 01/28/09 03:12 PM

Castles in the Sun is my latest song submitted for the winter 2009 Kara-Moon Review.

As always constructive criticism is welcomed.
Posted By: Danny C. Re: New song - Castles in the Sun - 01/28/09 04:17 PM
Mario,

The link just takes me to a sign in page not to the music, am I missing something?

Edited portion . . . Is it because I have to login as a member?

Later,
Posted By: toucher Re: New song - Castles in the Sun - 01/28/09 04:24 PM
Mario.......

Very nice, I like the soothing pads, sounds like a good mix to my ears. Sounds almost like something they play when I'm getting accupuncture done.

Good job

toucher
Posted By: JEP Re: New song - Castles in the Sun - 01/28/09 04:30 PM
Hi Mario,
Same problem as Danny C. Getting the following 'warning':

"The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you. Please login below or register an account with Kara-Moon Forum."

Members only?

-Jepster
Posted By: edbulmer Re: New song - Castles in the Sun - 01/28/09 05:42 PM
Nice mix. Cool spacey sounds too. Good job Mario. I expect to hear that next time I'm at the spa.
Posted By: Mike sings Re: New song - Castles in the Sun - 01/28/09 11:38 PM
Great song Mario!
Well written, well played and well produced. When I close my eyes I can almost see the National Geographic documentary on, let's say sealife, for which this song would be perfect!
Top job.
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: New song - Castles in the Sun - 01/29/09 12:48 AM
I just get the login page, too.

Kevin
Posted By: MarioD Re: New song - Castles in the Sun - 01/29/09 01:43 AM
Sorry people, I didn’t realize the Review forums were closed forums.

You can hear Ice Castles in the Sun here:
Posted By: Curmudgeon Re: New song - Castles in the Sun - 01/29/09 01:50 AM
Hi Mario,

Good orchestration, mix and instrumentation. Sounds like a movie sound track.

Don S.
Posted By: MarioD Re: New song - Castles in the Sun - 01/29/09 01:51 AM
Toucher, thanx for listening and the very encouraging words.
Posted By: MarioD Re: New song - Castles in the Sun - 01/29/09 01:53 AM
Ed, Mike and Don, thank you very much for the very kind words.
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: New song - Castles in the Sun - 01/29/09 07:01 AM
Purty musik thar Mario! very relaxing
Posted By: JEP Re: New song - Castles in the Sun - 01/29/09 07:35 AM
Nice composition, Mario D. Relaxing, but more than that IMHO. Almost like a human voice struggling to break through. Good guitar line, too.

- Jepster
Posted By: Keith from Oz Re: New song - Castles in the Sun - 01/29/09 10:25 AM
Hi Mario,
I have a collection of "relaxation" CDs where they overdub music with the sound of nature - rainforests, seashores, whale calls etc.
Your song is as good, if not better, than anything on the CD set.
Congratulations & well done!
Posted By: mglinert Re: New song - Castles in the Sun - 01/29/09 12:16 PM
Mario, this is one very assured piece of music, perfectly balanced and with much
thought going into how it develops and much research in the lead voices (talking of which, that is one strange sound in the opening part!).

There are some interesting chords making the piece slow but never boring, and in particular I just love the drum sound here.

I could easily see it being used either in documentaries or ads.

So make that a thumbs up from me. No. Wait. 2 thumbs up…
Posted By: MarioD Re: New song - Castles in the Sun - 01/29/09 02:44 PM
Robh and Jep, thanx for listening and the very kind words.
Posted By: MarioD Re: New song - Castles in the Sun - 01/29/09 02:50 PM
Thanx Keith for the very kind words.

What “relaxation” CD set do you have? I have a nine CD set called “Nature’s Magic” by Listener’s Choice”, from Metacom.
Posted By: MarioD Re: New song - Castles in the Sun - 01/29/09 03:03 PM
Thanx mglinert for the extremely kind review. This one did take me a considerable amount of time to complete. I’m still not totally happy with the guitar part but I sent it up to see what the responses would be. So far so good

By strange sound I’m assuming you mean the lead line? That was a sound from Kontakt 3’s synth collection called Cold Cave. I thought that sound fit quite nicely in the soundscape.

The drum sound is called Electronic from the VSC-DXi Sometimes that little freebee has just what I’m looking for

FYI – the drum part as well as a lot of this song is straight from the BiaB New Age 2 style.
Posted By: Danny C. Re: New song - Castles in the Sun - 01/29/09 03:55 PM
Top shelf Mario . . . Like others I feel this screams "soothing background" for a film of some majestic animal swimming in crystal blue water.

Ya Done Good, again!
Posted By: MarioD Re: New song - Castles in the Sun - 01/29/09 09:15 PM
Thank you very much Danny
Posted By: Keith from Oz Re: New song - Castles in the Sun - 01/29/09 10:32 PM
Quote:

What “relaxation” CD set do you have? I have a nine CD set called “Nature’s Magic” by Listener’s Choice”, from Metacom.

Coincidently, I have the same CD set - Nature's Magic. Nice listening.
Posted By: MarioD Re: New song - Castles in the Sun - 01/30/09 12:37 AM
Quote:

Quote:

Coincidently, I have the same CD set - Nature's Magic. Nice listening.

Then a SUPER thank you for those kind words as you compared me to something I know about
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: New song - Castles in the Sun - 01/30/09 12:45 AM
beautifully done, mario! it seems to beg some seagull or surf sounds imho. the guitar part was very lulling and sweet.
don
Posted By: MarioD Re: New song - Castles in the Sun - 01/30/09 12:50 AM
Thanx so much Don for your outstanding review.
Posted By: Keith from Oz Re: New song - Castles in the Sun - 01/30/09 01:59 AM
Can anyone tell me the correct name of the percussion instrument (Mario features it at the end of his song) that comprises a set of metallic tubes of varying lengths on a stand, that are brushed with the hand to make a "windchime" like sound?
Posted By: Russell DeMussel Re: New song - Castles in the Sun - 01/30/09 02:12 AM
Wow! That's awesome sounding. Like the tubes on this. Very relaxing. Are you sure you didn't goto sleep while recording it?
Super good work Mate. Good on ya.
Posted By: MarioD Re: New song - Castles in the Sun - 01/30/09 02:54 AM
Quote:

Can anyone tell me the correct name of the percussion instrument (Mario features it at the end of his song) that comprises a set of metallic tubes of varying lengths on a stand, that are brushed with the hand to make a "windchime" like sound?

In my song it's called Tinker Bells. It is in the PapelMedia soundfont. You can get it here.
Posted By: MarioD Re: New song - Castles in the Sun - 01/30/09 02:56 AM
Quote:

Wow! That's awesome sounding. Like the tubes on this. Very relaxing. Are you sure you didn't goto sleep while recording it?
Super good work Mate. Good on ya.

Darn it Russ you woke me up

Thanx for the very kind words my friend!
Posted By: Keith from Oz Re: New song - Castles in the Sun - 01/30/09 03:00 AM
Quote:

Quote:

In my song it's called Tinker Bells. It is in the PapelMedia soundfont. You can get it here.

Thank Mario, but I was referring to the REAL instrument, as used in a percussion section. I don't think they're called tubular bells....are they?
Posted By: Keith from Oz Re: New song - Castles in the Sun - 01/30/09 03:33 AM
I think that they are called "studio chimes"
Pretty boring name for such a pretty sound.
Posted By: MarioD Re: New song - Castles in the Sun - 01/30/09 02:30 PM
I believe they are called drum set bar chimes.

But I could be wrong.
Posted By: Luvs3rds Re: New song - Castles in the Sun - 02/03/09 04:49 AM
Mario,

Very good mix. Very "spatial". I like how it builds near the middle, then the guitar kicks in. Offer it to the "Planet Earth" group for their next series. Sounds like it has to do with water for sure.
© PG Music Forums