PG Music Home
Will someone please suggest a single word meaning to view/listen as we do on YouTube. VIEW or LISTEN are grossly inadequate verbs.

I notice such trivia when trying to describe what I find to share with Band In A Boxers.
Hi, Don !:))

I guess the word "watch" might be inadequate too ?

Cheers
Dani
"Watch" is single word alternative.

"Check this out" is a 3 word alternative.
hearvu ??? grin crazy
"Dig"
I like that, Frank. Thanks.
"Submitted for your enjoyment"

Guess that is four words...
"Enjoy"

or

"Experience"

or

"Learn"

or

"Witness"
But I like "Dig" as well, but that term is perhaps generational, as would be "Grok".

However "Dig" does have a social media nature as it's one of the surviving, though less used social media sites for the very purpose of what you are asking, Don. They added a 'g' to make it more cool. So it's DIGG.COM instead of DIG.COM.
Thanks for all of your great suggestions. I have been overworking "glean" and I realize that it's first definition is in agricultural applications such as harvesting wheat. But the first definition seems to serve my purpose adequately:

glean (glin)
v.t.
1. to gather, [b]learn, or find out, usu. bit by bit or slowly and laboriously: to glean information.[/b]
2. to gather (grain or the like) after the reapers or regular gatherers.
v.i.
3. to collect or gather anything little by little or slowly.
4. to gather what is left by reapers.

[1350–1400; Middle English glenen < Old French glener < Late Latin glennāre « Celtic; compare Old Irish do-glenn (he) gathers]
glean′a•ble, adj.
glean′er, n.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Scott, I think the word "implies" taking something away which is a fact with "view and listen". Hopefully, we are enriched by the experience.
You must have more time than I to think about such matters ..

'Enjoy'(?)
'Audition' (?)

That's all I got.
For the hip and pseudo-hip, I agree with Mac, DIG is the best word. Later, Ray
Glean, glean, its glean he say,
from the far side of the hill...

That dog ain't huntin', Don.

--Mac
The search for an exact word has gone on for a long time. So far it seems there is no such word. Consider these inadequacies:

"We heard the opera "Parsifal" last night.

"I love to watch "American Idol."

"Did you see what Shakira did to "The Star Spangled Banner?"

"I saw a terrific musical the other day!"

... in all these cases the verb is not really descriptive of what one experiences on these occasions.
I agree that "dig" is an excellent choice, but I can only use it with the minority of my friends who have the connotation used here in their vocabularies.

Also, this sense of the word 'dig' implies that the digger enjoys the experience. One would not say "Yes I dug their last set but I did not dig it" (meaning "I was present and hated it.")
Originally Posted By: rockstar_not
But I like "Dig" as well, but that term is perhaps generational, as would be "Grok".
<snip>

You've got me wondering how many users of "grok" learned it from hearing others use it and how many learned from the source:
Heinlein's "Stranger in a Strange Land".

I'm one of the latter, though I don't use the term much... Too many people these days just don't seem to get it.

Hey Don, how about "Attend" or perhaps "Observe"
Originally Posted By: flatfoot
The search for an exact word has gone on for a long time. So far it seems there is no such word. Consider these inadequacies:

"We heard the opera "Parsifal" last night.

"I love to watch "American Idol."

"Did you see what Shakira did to "The Star Spangled Banner?"

"I saw a terrific musical the other day!"

... in all these cases the verb is not really descriptive of what one experiences on these occasions.

Excellent points all, Foot. I'm glad I'm not the only one finding this syntax to be awkward at best.
What prevents us from creating our own esoteric term? Other professionals do that constantly!
>>>....What prevents us from creating our own esoteric term? Other professionals do that constantly...>>>

The problem is that it would be esoteric. People make up words all the time for all kinds of reasons. Its easy to do, and can be effective within your circle of associates. Challenges arise when you expect other people to understand what you are talking about.

The lack of a second person plural pronoun in english is a personal peeve of mine. People have invented lots of solutions to make up for this lack: "Y'all," "You lot," "Youse" and "You'ns," and the current atrocity - "You guys," among many others. These are sincere and honest attempts to make up for a real deficiency.

All are considered regional and substandard. I prefer "Ya'll." I use it, and am resigned to the fact that people will judge me for doing so.

As far as Youtube goes, it looks like a new sense of "like" is developing. That's "Like," as in: "I am too lazy and lacking in vocabulary to put together a string of five words or so to describe my experience with this video." Seems like another example of mass media dumb-down to me, but then nobody asked me.

Or did you?

Naaah...

-jdw
Check - springs to mind. Cheers.
Foot,

You sound like my HS English teacher whom I loved. Sort of like the teacher portrayed by Robin Williams in Dead Poets' Society I had two fabulous English teachers in HS.

Quote:
The problem is that it would be esoteric. People make up words all the time for all kinds of reasons. Its easy to do, and can be effective within your circle of associates. Challenges arise when you expect other people to understand what you are talking about.

I think that we would be addressing fellow musicians and, more specifically, BIABers, so an esoteric term should work nicely. I, for one, would not go to a Proctologist Convention and expect to understand terms specific to their profession. Esoteric terminology is, by nature, specific to the prevailing environment.
TubeMusic
>>>...You sound like my HS English teacher whom I loved. Sort of like the teacher portrayed by Robin Williams in Dead Poets' Society I had two fabulous English teachers in HS...>>>

You flatter me. I am an English teacher myself, and my beloved Mr Hayward is still my inspiration after all these years. Loved the Robin Wms character, even after Hollywood-ization.
Mike might be on to something. Maybe we will see adoption of a new verb with 'tube' in it. Something like "Tube the cuffs on this guy!" or "I was tubing a little Mozart last night when the buffalo get loose."

...Something like what happened when 'google' became a verb. Happened real fast. No official sanction requested, or needed.
>>>...I think that we would be addressing fellow musicians and, more specifically, BIABers, so an esoteric term should work nicely...>>>

Perhaps I misundertand your original post. I dont see the point of having a word that would be for use amongst ourselves to the exclusion of outsiders.
© PG Music Forums