PG Music Home
May I ask this question?

Do you spend a lot of money to buy sheet music?

I normally spend about $30 per month buy. In fact I would like to spend more, but I don't know if it is too much for an average person.

How about you?

Thank you
$0.00

I don't buy sheet music any more. When I was a young fellow, and learning piano and guitar, I would buy sheet music to the popular songs of the day because my piano teacher permitted me to use it and play it in the lessons. She reasoned that it was music, and it was written, therefore, it was good.

I have quite a box filled with classic sheet music, such as Love is Blue, Happy Together, etc.....
Originally Posted By: fantasyvn

I normally spend about $30 per month buy. In fact I would like to spend more, but I don't know if it is too much for an average person.

You must be a keys player? smirk As a guitarist I have much less need. But I do pick up a sheet or two over the course of a year if I am working on tune and get stumped by the progession and want to get it right.
As a brass band player, the band bought the music, not me. However, for my own purposes and as Guitarhacker said, while learning to play I did buy quite a lot of popular type music with a similarly understanding teacher, playing anything is good practice if playing it correctly.
I then found that with the aid of BIAB, and quite a few other music programs and especially those that can display notation, I discovered the world of free MIDI music available on line, and haven't bought sheet music since.
Besides which, with those programs, I used to write my own rubbish, mainly to deliberately set myself hard stuff in order to get better at playing it.
Just put some chords together, ask BIAB to put a melody to that, then set to a fast tempo, bring up the notation to play from and then try to keep up, as an example.
We spend some money, probably around $100 USD per year, on music books, not individual songs. My wife plays piano but she can not jam, she needs the music so a lot of the newer books are for her. I have a number of fake books that I have accumulated over the years. I have found that fake books along with Norton’s excellent fake disks are perfect for practicing songs on my wind controller, bass and for jamming on my guitar.

I do use BiaB for doing this also but I do like to play the melody of a song that I like on the first chorus, jam the second chorus then end with the melody on the third chorus. I guess that I am old school at times!
I read music, but play guitar by ear and primarily learn songs from recordings. These days with everything online the only time I refer to sheet music is for choir.

Now, that's not to say I don't have a collection of song books and I've been cracking them lately to resurrect old stuff I can play on SJ:)
Very little these days, I sometimes purchase a piece of PDF Sheet music online when a certain tune I want to learn stumps me.

On the lighter side, before BIAB I actually wrote out by hand, well over 500 lyric and chord sheets for tunes I was performing. That is why I don't whine too much (but I do a little) about the not so friendly lyric entry feature in BIAB. I figure had I used to have to also enter the chords by hand, and of so many binders to take to gigs. lmao

PS: Mario you think you might be a little "old school" mmmmmmmm.

Later,
© PG Music Forums