PG Music Home
Scott Olson and I may have stumbled on something that will bring the power of music into my nursing home. The DR (Dining Room) has a huge (52") Big Screen TV. It has USB ports so it should merely be a matter of connecting a laptop to watch SJ (Street Jelly) with patients/residents. A beautiful marriage of State-Of-The-Art technologies.

Nurse Jill would gladly provide her laptop. Jill is a very caring lady.
presuming there's wifi you could also use chromecast

http://pghboemike.wordpress.com/2014/01/30/chromecast/

which opens up other possibilities like youtube playlists

not only can you cast from a laptop but from a phone or tablet

WELL DONE Donald and Scott. You see what great minds can come up with. I look forward to doing my first show for you guys. Maybe as early as next Saturday?
Don, also remember that there are a lot of radio programs dedicated to the varies genres and eras of music on the internet.
Originally Posted By: JosieC
WELL DONE Donald and Scott. You see what great minds can come up with. I look forward to doing my first show for you guys. Maybe as early as next Saturday?

Josie, you head the list of acts I'd love to share with these 114 patients. Not to exempt any male artists (Mario and Danny) but, at this fledgling stage, I think a maternal influence would be better received.

Remember, the greatest obstacle will be in getting patients out of their rooms to witness an unfamiliar commodity, namely Street Jelly. As soon as they realize that they can have a dialogue with and be a part of the performance (request songs, etc) then they will be eager to attend future SJ shows.

@Josie, I will certainly TRY to have my part ready before Saturday but your SA friend introduced new questions regarding HDMI. I guess we'll just close our eyes, head into the wind, arm ourselves with belaying pins, and cast off the bowline and see where this venture takes us.

Be assured that I'll need your help on this "trip".
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Don, also remember that there are a lot of radio programs dedicated to the varies genres and eras of music on the internet.

Mario, old buddy, I probably have a collection of 50,000+ episodes of OTR (Old Time Radio) but, try as I may, I haven't been able to generate interest (except during a tornado-induced power outage when we all listened to Fibber McGee & Molly from my Dynavox by candlelight). TV eliminates all imagination when hearing a story unfold. No mentality necessary.

This plan does not dilute my interest in The iPod Project which makes music a very personal experience, especially in Dementia, Alzheimer's, Chronic Pain, Hospice (end of life) victims. I continue to work on that project.
Don's going to be am impresario! Cool! cool
Are you sure the USB is available for this purpose?
Usually the USB port on HD TVs is for service techs, not streaming audio/video. At least that has been my experience.

That said, a laptop with an HDMI port would work very well, and they are quite common.
Not trying to put sand in the Vaseline, but it may be worth checking out before committing.

Also, HD TVs usually have the old VGA monitor connection; so even if her laptop does not have HDMI it should still be able to connect for the video side of things, and audio would have to be connected separately. But it should still work!
Rharv, the lappy does (affirmative) have an HDMI port so we should be squattin' in your basic cotton.

Now, to sort out (oot in Canuck-speak) the weak WIFI signal in that EXACT spot, I'll be beside myself (what an opportunity to sing tight sibling harmony, aye wot?)

I watch the signal strength bars while drag racing powered wheelchairs with octogenarian chicks and it fluctuates badly. It may be the AC ducting sinking the WIFI signal, not sure.

Thanks for jumping in, Rharv.
Great!

I think Scott deserves a raise.

Often the answer is not that difficult to find as it is right in front of us. LOL

Good on you guys!

later
Well, uh, gosh, I don't think I did anything other than ask about doing a Street Jelly gig for Don and his caregivers.

However, his idea of streaming a live performance for all of the residents is innovative indeed. In fact, he might be on to something that could benefit a whole lot of people in a whole lot of places should it catch on.

Anyway, I guess the thing to do Don, is to ask the staff to test their gear by tuning in to a SJ show. I'd be happy to broadcast - I'm sure Danny or Josie would also - at a convenient date and time. If the WiFi proves to be a weak link, perhaps we can sort it out.
Don are you sure the lappy has HDMI and not DVI? If it is DVI you will still need to run audio cables to the TV.
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Don are you sure the lappy has HDMI and not DVI? If it is DVI you will still need to run audio cables to the TV.

I haven't yet seen the laptop and doubt if nurse Jill has a clue. However, this scheme seems to be literally "falling together" That may be an encouraging indication. I'm overdue. lol

Whatever it requires, I'll get'er did!
Hi Don. Just doing a quick Google search on how long HDMI cables can be. Here is an article. They say upto 45 feet. So maybe the laptop can be where the WIFI is strongest.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/how-long-can-hdmi-run.htm
Excellent point, Jo!

I'm beginning to think that Jill's lappy does not have a HDMI port so I may be in the market for a cheap (read EXTREMELY INEXPENSIVE) laptop.

I had another thought - can an iPad clone be configured to do the job? Amazon has great looking clones for about US$125.00. Still over my pittance disability allowance but more achievable.

Maybe post our needs on PG, those folks continue to amaze me with their love and generosity. If an iPad clone can be properly configured, I wouldn't be surprised if Danny C comes up with one. He is one amazing human being and friend.

Will you please post our needs on PG? You are well-loved and respected. Perhaps Dr Gannon would contribute.

Oops, color me beet red in the face, I thought I was in PM Mode.

At this moment, I have US$120 to throw at this project. Which would leave me without haircut money. I am willing to go shaggy (can I say "shaggy" on here?) for a month.

Mods, Don't let any Brits (or Ozzies) read this!
Hi Don. There are loads of options. Don't go shaggy just yet (my goodness your haircuts are expensive!) We will work something out. BTW I don't think Streetjelly is available on the iPad yet but will be soon.
Good Lord Don,

I don't even want to think of even one interpretation of the word "shaggy" and you at the same time. Now to get that visual out of my head . . brrrrrrr!

I am OK now . . . Look I have no problem with doing a few StreetJelly shows with this project as my charity if you think that will help. Either way we are not talking about a truckload of money here so we should be able to make it happen either way. Just keep us posted.

PS: I know you are providing the dancers for our set next month so just FYI either blondes, brunettes, redheads or something in-between will work for me. Of course my bride will be with me so tell them no lap dances this time OK?

Later,
Don:

1. There are no iPad clones. You are probably referring to tablets. There are generally a boatload of Android OS tablets, of varying degrees of usefulness, Microsoft branded Surface machines, and tablet PCs from various manufacturers. The latter two will not be $120.

2. Someone suggested Google Chromecast - this is an honest to God good solution involving no cables and a $35 outlay. However, it does require working wifi. If your big screen has an HDMI port, the Chromecast doodad goes onto the HDMI port, the other part is your PC or laptop, or iPad or iPhone or Android 2.3 or higher device - running Chrome as a browser on the PC/laptop, (not sure how it works with iOS devices).

If Streetjelly works in Chrome, you can broadcast it to the little Chromecast dongle. We are using Chromecast in our production lab with wall-mounted LCD TVs and a remotely located lappy casting live production numbers.
Don, keep us posted on whether you are able to broadcast. This might just might make me get on Streetjelly, or at least record a bunch of standards and post to YouTube.

How about you get a set list prepared?
Originally Posted By: rockstar_not
Don, keep us posted on whether you are able to broadcast. This might just might make me get on Streetjelly, or at least record a bunch of standards and post to YouTube.

The problem with your suggestion, Scott, is; I have been mute and paralyzed since 2001. Id love to!
Originally Posted By: Don Gaynor

The problem with your suggestion, Scott, is; I have been mute and paralyzed since 2001. Id love to!

Don, by broadcast, I meant can you send your SJ output from a lappy, to the Chromecast on the HDMI port on the TV - that is, do you have a way to get reliable wifi at both the lappy location as well as at the TV? Chromecast is a way to do it, but a long HDMI works as well. Monoprice.com is a good place to get long HDMI cables for cheap, between 1 and 3 $ per foot. http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=102&cp_id=10240
here's a google search on
improving\extending wifi coverage
maybe something here will help
The big question is: How many people are you putting out of work by doing this?

cry cry

As far as getting people to the activity room,,,,, do it on a regular basis and the word gets around.
Scott,

Just got a Skype call from Josie C (I think she's in IT) and she talked my gopher (go for) Shelly, through testing for the "hot spot" WIFI signal. I firmly believe our AC ducting is sinking (sucking} the signal. We have now, 3 laptops to inspect for HDMI ports. Shelly and Jill are bringing their lappys tomorrow. As I've said; this seems to be "falling together." Let's hope it continues this way. Once we determine the "hot spot" and measure the length of cable needed, Josie will send it to us. We have access to a 50' loaner cable for testing. Actually, I think my personal WIFI signal is stronger than Corporate's, we'll see.

I'll have Josie reference your message.

Thanks.

Don
Donald how far away are you from the main dining room or where ever I will be performing?

Later,
Danny, a very rough guesstimate: 100', do I smell your mind working again? Quit, you're setting off the sprinkling system! Hadta grab an umbrella from an octogenarian chick!

Seriously, with you AND Josie helping, it's just gotta work! It's nice to be back on the "bleeding edge" of technology again.

I can get a more accurate estimate by driving down the route and counting the 4' panels.

Just nod your head to signal the start of the wheelchair race. This septuagenarian chick is taunting me.
UPDATE

In a final, last-minute check before Josie C's show tomorrow, I did a test and everything works, and exactly as intended! Very strong WIFI signal!

@Josie, this may rank you up there with Orville, Wilbur, and Edison. At least as far as Street Jelly is concerned. I don't believe it's ever been done before - interactive entertainment where the audience can request songs in real time and have a dialogue with the performers. Wow, girl!
Excellent!!
Originally Posted By: Don Gaynor

Don, by broadcast, I meant can you send your SJ output from a lappy, to the Chromecast on the HDMI port on the TV - that is, do you have a way to get reliable wifi at both the lappy location as well as at the TV? Chromecast is a way to do it, but a long HDMI works as well. Monoprice.com is a good place to get long HDMI cables for cheap, between 1 and 3 $ per foot. http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=102&cp_id=10240

Yes, Scott, everything seems to be "GO" for the launch tomorrow (Saturday) at 1:00 Central time. Would love to see and hear you play. Our WIFI signal proved to be quite strong. Different lappys had hugely varying sensitivity. I had experienced that on my Dynavox, the new one being far more sensitive.

See you on Jelly, Scott. You'll be in some awesome, very talented company.
So are you using chromcast or hdmi rather way have fun
HDMI
Quote:
Rharv, the lappy does (affirmative) have an HDMI port so we should be squattin' in your basic cotton.

I hope the cotton remains dry.
HDMI sure is handy, that's why they charge so much for the cables.
Well, tomorrow is Show And Tell. Tune to the launch pad precisely at 1 pm Central time. I'll be letting all of the smoke out!
© PG Music Forums