PG Music Home
Posted By: Bob_B Advice wanted: Android tablet for gigs - 06/22/14 01:23 PM
I've been toying with the idea of buying a 10 inch android tablet for use on gigs. My needs are simple: large, bright screen (I need glasses to read these days: larger the better), and enough memory to hold a few dozen realbooks with charts. As long as I can connect to computer via usb and/or wifi, I'll be a happy puppy. With that in mind, I've looked at the Google Samsung 10 inch Nexus, which seems to be well suited for my needs, but I would very much like to hear the opinions of others. So, if you use a tablet on gigs, please reply with suggestions, recommendations, and advice. One thing that worries me is how do you follow charts that cover more than one page (finger swiping seems a poor choice)? Also, do they sell music-stands or holders for tablets? How about footswitches for page turning?

Thanks for the help.

Bob
Posted By: ZeroZero Re: Advice wanted: Android tablet for gigs - 06/23/14 10:15 AM
Thinking out this post....

My thoughts are that you really don't need anything fancy for this a cheapo, even very cheapo tablet will do. If you have the real books in PDF form they wont take any room. You could also store pages as pictures in a folder - if its one page. A single pic can be two pages or more, if you can see the dots. Bigger screen?
Apple computers seem to be better served for this sort of thing, but I would find the Ipad a little small. http://onsongapp.com/

Here is something for PCs http://airturn.com/at-104-for-windows-pc/products/airturn/usb-airturn/at-104-for-mac-and-pc
Posted By: marty c Re: Advice wanted: Android tablet for gigs - 06/24/14 09:43 AM
I use an ipad for this purpose with the OnSong app as Zero Zero mentioned. In OnSong, there is a function called "autoscroll". This means you can set up the app to scroll forward to advance as you sing and play. You zoom in and make the type as big as you need and cover 3-4 pages if you have to.

Also, if you like, you can add a foot pedal to change pages. I think Zero Zero mentions this also. It works with the ipad as well.

I haven't tried this yet, but OnSong also has a feature to load backing tracks (as I build in BIAB) which can be set to play per each chart.
Posted By: Bob_B Re: Advice wanted: Android tablet for gigs - 06/25/14 12:04 PM
Thanks you guys. I appreciate your input. I'm not sure I'm interested in an iPad, but I'll keep it in mind.
© PG Music Forums