PG Music Home
Posted By: Jerry250 Yamaha YPG-235 or Software - 09/02/14 12:47 AM
Post removed
Posted By: rharv Re: Yamaha YPG-235 or Software - 09/02/14 01:39 AM
Check out the Ketron units
Some prefer Roland and many like Yamaha .. this is a personal preference type question so take all suggestions as such.
I like Roland myself but many have been very pleased with the Ketron units when used with BiaB.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Yamaha YPG-235 or Software - 09/02/14 02:39 AM
Hi Jerry,

I would remove your e mail before the bots and who knows else gets it and you are spammed to death. We have a great private message system here built into the forums. Just ask people to send you a pm and then give them an e mail address.

The best thing to do imo, is to dl free trials of the software you're interested in and go listen to the keyboards at the music store. There used to be a link to the Ketron sounds which sound great to me but I've lost the url. There's great software out there these days at all price ranges too.

Josie
Posted By: rharv Re: Yamaha YPG-235 or Software - 09/02/14 10:52 PM
Look what you did; now he killed the whole post!
smile
Quote:
Post removed

Edited by Jerry250 (09/01/14 11:15 PM)

One Ketron Link is here .. with submissions by PGForum members even!

http://www.ketron.com/sounds.asp?mod=SD2
Posted By: Sundance Re: Yamaha YPG-235 or Software - 09/03/14 04:33 AM
Well heck, blush I just meant edit out his email - Jerry??? It's okay to post.

PS: Thanks for posting that link! Mac's Steely Dan using BIAB and the Ketron is great.

Josie
Posted By: MountainSide Re: Yamaha YPG-235 or Software - 09/03/14 12:51 PM
For what its worth, I use both a Roland Fantom and a Yamaha Motif. Both are great sounding units with lots of great sounds. Comparing the two units, I would say that the Yamaha sounds a little brighter, a little more open, a bit more transparent. The Roland, on the other hand, sounds a little warmer, with less "bite" and less high end openness. YMMV...both great units, just a little different to my ears.

Jeff
Posted By: rharv Re: Yamaha YPG-235 or Software - 09/04/14 01:21 AM
Fantom and Motif are both very nice. I have access to both also, and hear the difference.
However, each of those synths costs quite a bit more than the Ketron, and the original post made me think of the suggestion I made. It has some pretty good sounds for 'universal' use (as it pertains to his requested sounds).
Sadly, I don't own a Ketron.
I should change that.

Josie,
Yeah, that's one of Mac's very few published files you can still find. Sometimes people would challenge him to post something to prove his 'stuff' .. and I often thought of this demo. He usually deferred the request/challenge.
I admired him for not responding. Not sure how much of this crap played a part in his 'disappearance' of late, but if it did I understand totally.
Posted By: martin57 Re: Yamaha YPG-235 or Software - 09/04/14 10:01 PM
Hello Jerry,

You are indeed very welcome to the forum.

There are many here who will help you in your musical journey with band in a box and any other technical aspects of the recording process.

Here is a little review of the Yamaha YPG-235

http://digitalpianoreviewsite.com/yamaha-ypg-235/

As you felt the need to delete your post we don't have any details of the operating system you are using, but I'd guess its either Windows 7 or 8 64 bit.

There are a number of inexpensive soft synths such as the coyote forte for $40 I believe or the Roland VSC dxi which will work on Windows 7 32 bit only, another one is the Calkwalk TTS-1 not costly either.

All of the above software synths are perfectly usable in band in box or realband, though some folks do prefer the hardware synths such as the Ketron.

I hope that you enjoy your musical journey with band in a box and feel free any time to drop into the forum.

All the best,
Martin57
© PG Music Forums