PG Music Home
Posted By: RobbMiller Bluetooth Portable Speaker - 10/24/14 10:05 PM
Hey all,

My computer speakers (not my production monitors) are shot. At the same time I find myself in need of a bluetooth speaker. I would like to kill both birds with a single purchase.

I would like the speaker to have the volume to be listenable in a kitchen full of people (I have 6 kids) with decent sound and good dynamic range.

It also needs a 1/8" aux input for my computer

I have to keep it under $200 ($100 would be much nicer).

I have read some reviews of the top rated products at Amazon and such. Most point to the Bose Soundlink Mini. while it sounds like it would do, some reviewers indicate the volume would be too low.

While I don't mind paying for quality, I hate paying a premium for a over-marketed name.

Any experience here??

Any other suggestions?
Posted By: seeker Re: Bluetooth Portable Speaker - 10/25/14 01:46 AM
Not a recommendation, just information.

Bluetooth speaks at Amazon.

Bluetooth speakers at Wally World

Good Luck!
Posted By: jazzsax Re: Bluetooth Portable Speaker - 10/25/14 05:12 AM
Jawbone and that caliber Bluetooth are great but if you want to fill a kitchen with sound and a good computer speaker you don't need to spend that much $.
As suggested above, check out Amazon or even Frys online if you don't have a brick and mortar. This summer I got a $20 Bluetooth speaker at Frys with a 3.5 input.
I used it in my backyard at poolside all summer playing Pandora and Jazz Radio. It had more than enough power, in fact it was never at full volume, nor was the iphone. Check out some of the lower priced speakers, I think for your stated demands they will do the job.
Posted By: MountainSide Re: Bluetooth Portable Speaker - 10/25/14 01:25 PM
Just went through the same analysis myself. Wanted something small and easy to carry in a backpack. Had a listen to many Bluetooth speakers, including the Bose Mini. To make a long story short, I found the low end weak on most whether it was jazz, rock, country or straight piano. In the end, I went with the Sony SRS-X3. Two 10W drivers and dual passive bass radiators. Has speakerphone capabilities via Bluetooth and an audio input. Battery life seems pretty good at about 6 to 7 hours. Plenty of volume for me in the living room. I usually run it from my smartphone running Pandora or other streaming app...no issues what so ever. About $150. Be sure to get the optional carrying case, adds a nice touch for protection when transporting. YMMV
Posted By: RobbMiller Re: Bluetooth Portable Speaker - 10/25/14 10:13 PM
I like the reviews of the Sony SRS X3 and its big Brother the X5

This also looks nice:

The Oontz XL - Cambridge SoundWorks

Anybody ever hear one?
© PG Music Forums