PG Music Home
Posted By: AudioTrack PG Music stand at NAMM 2015 - 01/27/15 11:31 PM
PG Music at NAMM 2015

For those who couldn't get there (like me...)
Posted By: pghboemike Re: PG Music stand at NAMM 2015 - 01/28/15 11:40 AM
thanks for posting
Posted By: MarioD Re: PG Music stand at NAMM 2015 - 01/28/15 11:45 AM
Very impressive demo!
Posted By: raymb1 Re: PG Music stand at NAMM 2015 - 01/28/15 12:12 PM
Couldn't find any info in the manual about "K 16", to copy 16 bars. Can I get clued in on this? Ray
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: PG Music stand at NAMM 2015 - 01/28/15 01:06 PM
The demo did a great job explaining RealTracks and style variations, as well as a solid general overview.

My main suggestion for future demos would be to feature at least one song with more exotic chords. They had, I think, a m7b5 but I'm not sure the song got far enough in to play it. The chords were almost all major and minor triads with a few sevenths, but no sus4 chords, dim7, 9th, 11ths, 13ths, much less #9, #11, b9, b13, 7alt, slash bass root etc. The fact that BIAB can play such chords including complicated combinations of the above is one of its greatest strengths. There are some excellent musicians who attend NAMM and some of them should have been interested in that. A demo with a lot more than C F Am G7 etc. would go far in dispelling anyone's possible notion that BIAB is a musical toy. One pre-made song could do it.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: PG Music stand at NAMM 2015 - 01/28/15 01:24 PM
Originally Posted By: raymb1
Couldn't find any info in the manual about "K 16", to copy 16 bars. Can I get clued in on this? Ray

Ray, it was a new feature some years back.

It's not in Help where you might expect (like, "chord entry"). It is alphabetized under "K".

Of course it is. It's not under (C)hord or (Q)uick - it's under (K)? OK, so maybe (K) is (K)eyboard, but it's not shown under Keyboard Shortcuts either. Yes, you can find a reference in 'Copy and Pasting Sections of Chords', but that sends you to 'Quick Copy Method', which is indexed under K, not Q.

Look this up in Help, Index:

K Quick Copy Method

I still just highlight and copy/paste, so I never used this feature anyway, but maybe you will like it.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: PG Music stand at NAMM 2015 - 01/28/15 01:25 PM

Ray, I'm not sure which year it was, but the only place I've seen the k16 copying mentioned is in one of the NEW FEATURES videos that gets posted for each version.
Posted By: jford Re: PG Music stand at NAMM 2015 - 01/28/15 03:18 PM
The "K-Quick Copy" feature was introduced in BIAB Version 9 (which is not the same as version 2009), which would put is somewhere in the year 2000.

This is from the New Features announcement:

Quote:
"K"- Quick-Copy-Option. By simply typing K at a bar (followed by ENTER key), you can instantly copy the last 8 bars to the current position. By adding additional keys in the K command, you can customize this (e.g. Typing K12,3 would copy from bar 3 for 12
bars to the current position. The current position is advanced to the bar beyond the copy. This speeds up song entry!
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: PG Music stand at NAMM 2015 - 01/28/15 05:55 PM
I was there on the 22nd and met Tobin. The young guy to the left is Peter's son. Peter himself was at the show but was in meetings so I couldn't meet him.

My only comment was the location wasn't very good imho. It was downstairs and way in the back. That whole area had that "overflow in the basement' look to it. I would have loved to have seen PGM up on the main floor along side the other big software players. That area was also adjacent to all the keyboard companies and this is where the good players were hanging out.

Of course as they say, it's only money. Floor space is very expensive at NAMM then there's the cost of the booth area itself plus the logistics. I'm sure the cost of setting up in that upstairs area would be a ton. I just wonder if that spot in the basement was really worth it.

Bob
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: PG Music stand at NAMM 2015 - 01/28/15 09:03 PM
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley

Ray, it was a new feature some years back.

It's not in Help where you might expect (like, "chord entry"). It is alphabetized under "K".

Of course it is. It's not under (C)hord or (Q)uick - it's under (K)? OK, so maybe (K) is (K)eyboard, but it's not shown under Keyboard Shortcuts either. Yes, you can find a reference in 'Copy and Pasting Sections of Chords', but that sends you to 'Quick Copy Method', which is indexed under K, not Q.

Look this up in Help, Index:

K Quick Copy Method

I still just highlight and copy/paste, so I never used this feature anyway, but maybe you will like it.

I've used the K copy command a few times, but I prefer to use Edit > Copy From To (Alt-C)
I think the 'K' is as in Kopy, because 'C' would be treated as a chord entry.

Incidentally, K is not listed in Help > Keystroke List section, but probably should be. I've found it before in Help too, but I'm glad Matt did the legwork this time, as I remember it was buried real-deep.

I'm sure the place that I first saw the K command was as a passing comment in a video on the PGM tutorials page.

Nevertheless, it's a useful shortcut.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: PG Music stand at NAMM 2015 - 01/28/15 09:28 PM
The demo did a great job explaining RealTracks and style variations, as well as a solid general overview.

My main suggestion for future demos would be to feature at least one song with more exotic chords. They had, I think, a m7b5 but I'm not sure the song got far enough in to play it. The chords were almost all major and minor triads with a few sevenths, but no sus4 chords, dim7, 9th, 11ths, 13ths, much less #9, #11, b9, b13, 7alt, slash bass root etc. The fact that BIAB can play such chords including complicated combinations of the above is one of its greatest strengths. There are some excellent musicians who attend NAMM and some of them should have been interested in that. A demo with a lot more than C F Am G7 etc. would go far in dispelling anyone's possible notion that BIAB is a musical toy. One pre-made song could do it.

Totally agree Matt.
I thought, why all these basic, plain chords? Why did they just use so many 1-5-4 and 1-6-2-5 chord progressions when the songs could have been made much more interesting?
I must admit, I was a little surprised...
Posted By: raymb1 Re: PG Music stand at NAMM 2015 - 01/28/15 11:18 PM
I've been using the Edit-Copy To method for many years. The K command went right by me! Ray
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: PG Music stand at NAMM 2015 - 01/28/15 11:32 PM
K for Kopy? Of course it is.

Unless K is for Kwick.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: PG Music stand at NAMM 2015 - 01/29/15 02:40 AM
K for Kopy? Of course it is.

Unless K is for Kwick.

I have to admit, my attempt was nothing more than precision guesswork...
Posted By: jazzsax Re: PG Music stand at NAMM 2015 - 01/29/15 04:39 PM
I agree with Matt's observation.
I forwarded video to 2 of my piano player friends.
As they are both jazz players, I am not sure they were overwhelmed by the chords or the styles that were presented.
Posted By: MarioD Re: PG Music stand at NAMM 2015 - 01/29/15 05:06 PM
I also agree with Matt.

I think they may miss a lot of MIDI musicians also by not showing the advanced side of MIDI supertracks and some MIDI styles..
© PG Music Forums