PG Music Home
Posted By: dcuny $99 Orchestra - 02/27/15 02:39 PM
The $99 Orchestrata

Quick summary: $99 gets you a 7 minute slot for recording 30 to 90 seconds of music with a live orchestra:

• 1 Flute/piccolo
  • 1 Oboe
  • 1 Clarinet in B flat
  • 1 Bassoon
  • 2 Trumpets
  • 4 French Horns
  • 2 Trombones
  • 1 Bass Trombone
  • 5/4/3/4/1 String section

It's not clear if they'll make their funding goal, but it looks pretty cool idea. cool
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: $99 Orchestra - 02/28/15 10:13 AM
I'd spring another $50 and for $149.95 get GPO4 and have an orchestra at my beck and call all day and all night and the next day too.

https://store.makemusic.com/store/?tab=garritan

And if you look around.... you can usually find it for less.....much less in many cases. I won't tell you what I paid for it because it would hurt your feelings.
Posted By: dcuny Re: $99 Orchestra - 02/28/15 02:39 PM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
I won't tell you what I paid for it because it would hurt your feelings.

I've had GPO for years, long before MakeMusic bought them and raised the price for "reasons". It's a great library.

If you're going to write a score, there's no question that you'll want to create a MIDI mockup. The results can be, very, very good - indistinguishable to some people.

But being able to have a real orchestra play the music, bringing skill that I haven't got to the performance. - that's a special kind of thing that's always been out of my reach. So I think this is pretty awesome... if they make their funding.

Posted By: AudioTrack Re: $99 Orchestra - 02/28/15 08:26 PM
David

Thanks for sharing the link.

The product/concept certainly has a place in the market. Certainly can't say that it wouldn't contain realism!

Best
Trevor
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: $99 Orchestra - 02/28/15 10:53 PM
One of the project advisers, Alex Ruthmann, and NYU - Steinhardt have developed an experimental online music production course called ++ PLAY WITH YOUR MUSIC ++. The program is free and self paced.

Well worth the time to check out.
© PG Music Forums