PG Music Home
Posted By: Jim Fogle Make Your Own Instrument Pick - 03/04/15 12:04 AM
Did you know there is a device to make your own instrument pick? Neither did I until recently.

++ Pick Punch ++
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Make Your Own Instrument Pick - 03/04/15 12:06 AM
Well, I guess I now have a use for all the tortoise shell I've been hoarding..... grin
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Make Your Own Instrument Pick - 03/04/15 11:13 AM
Interesting. Watched several of the videos on the site. Will save $$$ and trace and cut out picks with scissors ;=)
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Make Your Own Instrument Pick - 03/04/15 01:41 PM
speaking of picks, there are some creative ideas out there.

If you search for finger picks, for example... there are all kinds of interesting ideas.. from wires bent to wrap around your fingertips to allow exposure of flesh so you can feel the strings... to many adaptations of the standard finger picks.

Regarding regular picks, I've seen picks embedded into a pistol-grip device to make it harder to drop the pick... picks made from exotic materials (selling for $50 per pick!) picks with ragged edges to get that gritty sound when you pluck the string... picks with rough surface to make them slip-proof...

google "guitar pick" and just see what crazy (and cool) stuff comes up
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Make Your Own Instrument Pick - 03/04/15 02:43 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Wedgie-WNPP60-0-60mm-Nylon-Light/dp/B000CPSGD6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425491000&sr=8-1&keywords=guitar+pick+wedgie
Posted By: MarioD Re: Make Your Own Instrument Pick - 03/04/15 09:42 PM
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
speaking of picks, there are some creative ideas out there.

If you search for finger picks, for example... there are all kinds of interesting ideas.. from wires bent to wrap around your fingertips to allow exposure of flesh so you can feel the strings... to many adaptations of the standard finger picks.

Regarding regular picks, I've seen picks embedded into a pistol-grip device to make it harder to drop the pick... picks made from exotic materials (selling for $50 per pick!) picks with ragged edges to get that gritty sound when you pluck the string... picks with rough surface to make them slip-proof...

google "guitar pick" and just see what crazy (and cool) stuff comes up

I'm till searching for the perfect pick. Every pick that I have picked (pun intended) up has the same problem, i.e. I still suck cry
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Make Your Own Instrument Pick - 03/04/15 11:45 PM
Here's a good example of an innovative pick idea:
you slip your middle finger through the circle like wearing a ring, and the pick ends up right where it needs to be. You can't drop it.

Zero Gravity Pick

I have a real problem with dropping picks because I had a pinched nerve in my spine and it affects how tightly I can grip things. This design solves the problem.
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Make Your Own Instrument Pick - 03/05/15 01:29 AM
A friend of mine has one of these and he inherited a bunch of expired gift cards - I think they were from Starbucks, and he made a bunch of these. He doesn't necessarily like using the picks made from those cards - maybe he needs thicker cards to start?

I don't know if there's a real benefit here. I have been using the same Jim Dunlop Nylon picks for a several years. Yes, the same half dozen individual picks. I have recently switched over to the Dunlop Max-Grips, and I think I have found them to be perfect - they have some type of thing that feels like sandpaper grit molded into the grip part of the pick that works fantastically. I had tried a similar pick called "Cat's Tongue" which had a similar kind of grit thing molded in, but their grit wears down over time, in my experience. I keep the picks in the coin purse of my wallet. I have a big bass/Triangle Fender Heavy pick in there for when I play bass, a Jim Dunlop nylon .73mm and a Dunlop Max-grip 1.14mm in with the coins. Then I have another triangle in the bass case, and a couple of the JD picks in each of my other guitar cases. Pick expense perhaps 15$ total max. With selected thicknesses and the extra useful grip on the JD Max-Grip, which is why I don't think I lose many. I actually like them when they get some wear on the picking edges.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Make Your Own Instrument Pick - 03/05/15 11:57 AM
I still have three tortoise shell picks left from back when they were legal to purchase and own. I also have several legally acquired shell cosmetic boxes that picks could be cut from. I rarely ever pick up my Martin any more but IMO the shell picks FAR exceeds sound of any others. Janice plays more often and she uses one also.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Make Your Own Instrument Pick - 03/05/15 12:01 PM
last night , just for the heck of it, I experimented with a bunch of "can't drop pick" ideas I've been thinking about.

Came up with 4 totally different ideas all of which work very well for my needs, and one of which works so well I may apply for a patent. So, I can't describe any of the ideas here. ;-(
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Make Your Own Instrument Pick - 03/05/15 12:27 PM
The only pick I use. Last forever and great grip.

Posted By: Joe V Re: Make Your Own Instrument Pick - 03/05/15 09:30 PM
I've never found fingerpicks that I like, because of the loss of feel. I'm sure with all the new supermaterials out there this must be possible now - but not until some super materials guy that also plays guitar decides to combine the 2 concepts.

Has anyone found fingerpicks they liked ? I once tried those 'plastic see-through' fingerpicks that go under the nails - but the curvature just wasn't right and they weren't nearly as easy to heat up and reshape as they were advertised to.
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Make Your Own Instrument Pick - 03/06/15 01:48 AM
Originally Posted By: 90 dB

That looks like something I would like to try. I'm fully spoiled/dependent upon the gritty grip type picks. This looks like it might be similar.
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: Make Your Own Instrument Pick - 03/06/15 02:03 AM
The picks I like are the Wegen TF140. They last forever and you probably won’t lose them since they cost $7.50 a piece.

I sent one to Mac and he became a convert.

It’s the closest thing to tortoise shell I’ve found and the holes in the center make it easier to hold on to.

http://www.wegenpicks.com/

Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Make Your Own Instrument Pick - 03/06/15 12:50 PM
thanks 90db and BobC for the links... I've never seen any of the wedgies or wegens in my local music store.

I'll give them both a try
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Make Your Own Instrument Pick - 03/06/15 01:00 PM
Originally Posted By: rockstar_not

That looks like something I would like to try. I'm fully spoiled/dependent upon the gritty grip type picks. This looks like it might be similar.

Here is a link to the .60's.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/391039173745?lpid=82&chn=ps
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: Make Your Own Instrument Pick - 03/06/15 02:31 PM
Pat,

The TF140 is an extra heavy pick. If you prefer something lighter, then just order a lower number.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Make Your Own Instrument Pick - 03/06/15 10:16 PM
Man those wedgies must be popular! I placed an order today, and they cancelled it because they were all out of stock!! The store owner personally apologized in the refund email!

And the Wegen picks...
they have an eBay store, and I always like to use that if its available because paypal works so well there.

I selected what I wanted, and even after the unfavorable dollar to pound ratio changed the price from 10 pounds to 15 dollars... the shopping cart doubled it to $30! For one pick!

I backed out and retried several times to see if I could get it to register the correct payment, but after getting the same result 3 times I decided it wasn't me, it was the shopping cart. So I sent the owner an email telling him what's happening. I'll try again in a few days to see if it's fixed.

Both of these picks look interesting to me. Thanks for the heads up, guys!
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Make Your Own Instrument Pick - 03/06/15 10:22 PM
another idea for making picks easy to hold onto:

you know those colored rubber rings that slide around keys to help you differentiate between the front door key and the back door key that look alike? (THESE THINGS)

Well, if you put one of them on a pick, the working end of the pick will stick out, and the rubber ring will give you an indentation that enhances your ability to hold on
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: Make Your Own Instrument Pick - 03/07/15 01:27 AM
Pat,

Maybe try here.

http://www.bigcitystrings.com/wegenfp.htm

That's where I bought them the last couple of times. I'm down to 2 picks now after sending Mac one of the 3 I had.

If you can't get one from there, PM me your mailing address and I'll send you one.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Make Your Own Instrument Pick - 03/07/15 03:08 AM
Thanks Bob! that site's shopping cart worked!

And also thanks for the offer of one of your remaining picks... takes a pretty good guy to offer anybody an $8 pick!
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Make Your Own Instrument Pick - 03/07/15 08:30 AM
Another source:

http://www.bassstringsonline.com/Wedgie-Nylon-XT-Textured-Guitar-Pick-Bass-Pick_p_1497.html
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Make Your Own Instrument Pick - 03/07/15 11:19 AM
Since we are posting pix of picks:

Those raised bits seem to have a bit of grit to them - more than you would expect with just molding the shape into the nylon.

Posted By: 90 dB Re: Make Your Own Instrument Pick - 03/07/15 11:27 AM

Those raised bits seem to have a bit of grit to them - more than you would expect with just molding the shape into the nylon.

Ever drop one of those in the middle of a solo? grin

All I know is that I can play for 4 sweaty, hand-cramping hours and hold on to my Wedgie.

My, that doesn't sound quite right. blush
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Make Your Own Instrument Pick - 03/07/15 12:07 PM

That one worked like a charm! Thanks Bob!
Any pick that sells out has got to be a pretty dang good pick!
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Make Your Own Instrument Pick - 03/07/15 12:20 PM
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr

That one worked like a charm! Thanks Bob!
Any pick that sells out has got to be a pretty dang good pick!

I actually think they might have stopped making them. I have two dozen or so - should last me for life. I've never worn one out.
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Make Your Own Instrument Pick - 03/07/15 04:20 PM

Ever drop one of those in the middle of a solo? grin

No - which is why I really like them. These are better than the Dunlop Nylon picks by far. I don't lose them because I don't drop them. If I see a wedgie pick in a store, I'll buy one to try out. The other pick that got me hooked on these extra grippy feel picks is the Cat's Tongue pick from Cool Picks. But, the gritty surface wears off over time. I haven't experienced that with the Max Grip.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Make Your Own Instrument Pick - 03/13/15 11:03 AM
well, I finally got most of the recommended picks I sent away for.

The wedgies are an interesting design. You don't see it in the flat picture, but the picks are molded in such a way that where the thumb fits is concave, and that material is forced to the other side making it a convex surface, which gives the forefinger something to hold onto.

Because the picks aren't flat, they don't slip!

In addition to the thumb indentation, there is also a knurled surface which also helps prevent sweaty hand slippage. A really clever design!

The WEGEN picks BobC recommended are also pretty cool. If they weren't so dang expensive, I'd try some of their other models.. they have a lot of interesting ideas for sale.

I also bought some of those colored key identifier rings and put them on a bunch of regular ol' picks, and that works REALLY well at providing a gripping area that can't slip while you're playing. But it's a bear putting them on... you almost have to heat them in hot water to get the elasticity needed to stretch that much. But it's a cheap solution... pennies per pick.

Another thing I tried that works very well on odd-shaped picks that won't work with the key rings: I had some thin rubber washers from a plumbing kit... about .030" thick by .625" dia...

I superglued it to one side of a pick. When using that pick, my thumb rests in the middle of the washer, which pretty much makes it impossible to slip.. its the same idea as the wedgie design, where you have an indentation for the thumb.

Since trying all these new pick ideas, I haven't dropped my pick once (and previously I was dropping it multiple times per song... ) this has really increased my confidence that the pick won't drop during guitar solos.

Thanks to everybody who offered ideas! Much appreciated!
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Make Your Own Instrument Pick - 03/13/15 11:29 AM
Don't forget one of these:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PickHolder
© PG Music Forums