PG Music Home
Posted By: AudioTrack Multiple Posts Guideline? - 03/04/15 07:27 PM
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr

You're fairly new here, so you may not be aware of some unwritten forum courtesies. After 20 songs, posts scroll off the first page. Once a song scrolls off the 1st page it is far less likely to get heard or commented on.

As a general courtesy, most people here refrain from posting a new song while they still have an active song on page 1. Occasionally, a stray comment will bump a song back to page one, and then the same person has more than one song on the front page... but as a general rule, we try to share the front page.

Posting a bunch of songs all at once is called "dumping" , and it forces other newly posted songs to page 2. You can probably see why that might upset the person whose song got pushed out so somebody else can have multiple songs on page 1 at the same time.

Pat, that's a reasonable point and I wonder if PGM might promulgate it.

At the top of the User Showcase forum is a section: "User Showcase Info and FAQ" with guidelines. Such a statement might be added there so that newer users could be familiar with 'best practice'.

Is that worthwhile following up?

Best
Trevor
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Multiple Posts Guideline? - 03/04/15 07:30 PM
Ditto

Caveat: I know this thread doesn't meet the posting criteria but IMHO the topic does warrant some discussion.
Posted By: boehm Re: Multiple Posts Guideline? - 03/04/15 08:33 PM
Hi Trevor,

good idea!

Guenter
Posted By: ROG Re: Multiple Posts Guideline? - 03/04/15 08:57 PM
It makes sense.

+1 from me too.

ROG.
Posted By: Steve Young Re: Multiple Posts Guideline? - 03/04/15 10:15 PM
Sounds good to me.

Steve
Posted By: FredM Re: Multiple Posts Guideline? - 03/05/15 04:41 AM
+1 from Belgium ☺
Posted By: gibson Re: Multiple Posts Guideline? - 03/05/15 05:31 AM
That makes sense to me.

+1 from Wales

Also rather than just saying "all produced in BIAB" etc I'd like to see a list of the Realtracks and/or Realdrums used in each song for no other reason than it is an excellent way to discover new RTs,RDs to use in my songs.

Alyn
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Multiple Posts Guideline? - 03/05/15 12:27 PM
I clicked on the NOTIFY MODERATOR button, and requested that this thread be read and that the changes to the USER SHOWCASE INFO AND FAQ be made as described in this thread.
Posted By: Will Rockwell Re: Multiple Posts Guideline? - 03/05/15 12:31 PM
I finish a song about every three days, I apologize if it looks like dumping, it's not.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Multiple Posts Guideline? - 03/05/15 12:43 PM
Originally Posted By: Will Rockwell
I finish a song about every three days, I apologize if it looks like dumping, it's not.

I don't think it is the intention of anyone to dampen your enthusiasm nor reduce your prolific output. Judging from the comments, we all seem to enjoy your music. However, you don't want to be so prolific with submissions that the listeners ear begins to tire of your unique or signature sound.

Some other prolific writers here use a web page to place all their music and then post one on the forum every so often, which is directed to the website where all of their songs are listed. One can then choose to listen to as many of your works as they wish.
Posted By: tommyad Re: Multiple Posts Guideline? - 03/05/15 12:46 PM
+1, Just good old common sense. Tom
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Multiple Posts Guideline? - 03/05/15 12:48 PM
I clicked on the NOTIFY MODERATOR button, and requested that this thread be read and that the changes to the USER SHOWCASE INFO AND FAQ be made as described in this thread.

Great Pat, thanks. It seems that most users support the idea.

It's certainly more equitable that all contributors are given a fair and reasonable opportunity to get exposure to their work, rather than being pushed off the list too quickly.

best
Trevor

Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Multiple Posts Guideline? - 03/05/15 01:23 PM
Originally Posted By: c_fogle

I don't think it is the intention of anyone to dampen your enthusiasm nor reduce your prolific output. Judging from the comments, we all seem to enjoy your music. However, you don't want to be so prolific with submissions that the listeners ear begins to tire of your unique or signature sound.

Some other prolific writers here use a web page to place all their music and then post one on the forum every so often, which is directed to the website where all of their songs are listed. One can then choose to listen to as many of your works as they wish.

Great answer Charlie, and an ideal solution too!
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Multiple Posts Guideline? - 03/05/15 01:37 PM
Ditto.... it's a good idea.... however, I see the new users come in and post a bunch of songs they may have been collecting for a time... then it tapers off rather quickly as they run out of songs and have to write new stuff...

But overall.... if PG thinks it's a good idea to mention and post in the FAQs...I'm OK with it.

Same here, I go through periods or seasons where I write a bunch of stuff in a short period of time. Like the 41 cues for a certain TV show listing. I don't think I posted any of that here. Not all of it even makes it to the light of day for folks to hear. Much of it goes straight to film & TV libraries. I post something up every now and then that I write for fun, and that doesn't go to the libraries initially.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Multiple Posts Guideline? - 03/05/15 02:04 PM

The Committee will review your case, Mr. Rockwell, and let you know if there will be any sanctions. grin
Posted By: Sergio Guarneri Re: Multiple Posts Guideline? - 03/05/15 03:37 PM

Hi to everybody

to me it seems a right thing to do so when a new user starts
to post music, he knows what he can do or not do.

What has happened was completely unintentional

I apologize again with all.

Maybe it served to regularize this event so the next new users
will not repeat the mistake.

If it is valid in my opinion since I'm not classified "expert"
I think it's a thing to do and I'm agree with all you.

Hello
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Multiple Posts Guideline? - 03/05/15 04:19 PM
Sergio and Will,

please don't be too concerned about this... we LOVE new users, and we certainly don't want to make anybody feel uncomfortable or disapproved of. We know that the enthusiasm of making great songs makes people want to share... that's why the forum is here!

I hope you continue to enjoy the forum and post your creations! I also hope you know that you are very welcome here, and everybody appears to be enjoying your songs! So, all in all, no harm done!
Posted By: Sergio Guarneri Re: Multiple Posts Guideline? - 03/05/15 04:39 PM
Pat

thank for your words.
surely I will continue to post music.
It's too good sharing our song and I know that new users
are welcome.

no problems with you.
I am happy to be in this forum

(I would have some songs to post but as you can see I'm holding...)
grin

Hello
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Multiple Posts Guideline? - 03/05/15 05:25 PM
Originally Posted By: Sergio Guarneri

Hi to everybody

to me it seems a right thing to do so when a new user starts
to post music, he knows what he can do or not do.

What has happened was completely unintentional

I apologize again with all.

Maybe it served to regularize this event so the next new users
will not repeat the mistake.

If it is valid in my opinion since I'm not classified "expert"
I think it's a thing to do and I'm agree with all you.

Hello

Sergio-

Non ti preoccupare. There are a lot of "experts" here, many of whom have never posted anything. grin

Of course, I can't speak for The Committee. laugh

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: Multiple Posts Guideline? - 03/05/15 06:09 PM
Hi all.
I have done some heavy posting lately.
If I have pushed others off the page or offended people I apologize.
This was pointed out to me a little while ago and I feel I have toned it down.

I have a busy life as do others.
The fact is I may not be able to visit the forum for long periods of time.

Some one made a personal complaint to me that they have commented on four of my songs
and I have only commented on one of theirs and hence they will no longer listen to my songs.

I really don't feel I need to make a defense for my actions but I will so as not to offended any one else.
If I feel a song or instrumental is out side my knowledge or experience I will listen but not necessarily comment.
I guess that's just my personal choice.

The other point to take into account is the amount of listings on a page.
When I load the forum page I have around 18 listings.
When one of my songs drops out of that 18 listings I feel the interest is waning and I make another post.

I had a complaint that I had four songs on the first page.
I only counted 2.
I took the complaint up privately with the person and they told me they had there page set up to show 50 listings on the first page, so they where seeing 4 listings.

If it is possible to set up the first page to show 100 listings it would be even worse.
This is a dilemma that needs to be addressed.

Sorry to be long winded but peoples circumstances are as different as they are individual.
Please don't have unwritten hidden rules as it only leaves a few in the know and the rest in the dark.

I apologize again to all those I have offended.
Rob.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Multiple Posts Guideline? - 03/05/15 08:34 PM
Quote:
I apologize again to all those I have offended.
Rob.

hey Rob, nobody's offended! No need to apologize! You are a well-liked member of the forum, and I hope you know that! I apologize if we have made you feel uncomfortable! That was never my intent, and I sincerely hope it wasn't anybody else's intent either.

This is certainly not an action against you or anybody else. Rather it is a reaction to the realization that there is no rule about how often people can post, and based on forum input, there apparently needs to be. Hopefully we can get an official guideline on the topic.

If anybody should apologize, it should be me, because my effort to gently influence the matter has turned somewhat heavy-handed, and that was never my intent. Please accept my apology.

We're all friends here, and I really think that the best way to keep us all friends is to get this nailed down so everybody knows what's expected and nobody ever gets blind-sided again by a group expectation that isn't spelled out anywhere.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Multiple Posts Guideline? - 03/05/15 09:34 PM
I have watched this subject going around on the forum lately. While it's true there have been a few heavy posters, I just want to say that inspiration is a wonderful thing and usually hard to come by. I would like to encourage our new friends to continue with their passionate pursuits. Maybe posting on other forums too, switching it up, or shelving a few for dryer times would work. You guys are all doing cool stuff, and I don't want to be any part of discouraging your excitement and creativity. Take care. Greg
Posted By: RnAM Re: Multiple Posts Guideline? - 03/05/15 11:11 PM
Hello Pat and Trevor,

We definitely agree that posting multiple songs at once is not a good idea. One song every week should be the max.
We also think that this should become a forum rule.
Nobody's work deserves to be out of view (dropped from the first page) to soon. Besides, listeners will soon loose interest in posters who place too much songs in too little time.
Something else to consider: although this program is truly great, and it's pretty easy to create lots of songs in a very short time, you should post only your best recordings on the forum. If you create several songs in one week, choose the one you think is best and place that one on this forum. Place the other two on other forums or websites.

Rob & Anne-Marie
Posted By: Sundance Re: Multiple Posts Guideline? - 03/05/15 11:56 PM
Couldn't have said it better R & AM.

Josie
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Multiple Posts Guideline? - 03/06/15 10:41 AM
Here's an idea:

Why not just do away with the guidelines, and appoint a Screening Committee to audition proposed submissions to determine if they meet the Criteria established by the Committee?

1. Does the Submitter have a song currently on Page 1?
2. Is there anything “actionable” in the submission?
3. Is this one of the Submitter's “best recordings”
4. Has the Submitter made sufficient obsequious comments on other poster's songs?

That might work. When are the elections? grin

Here's another idea:

Why not leave changes to the Showcase guidelines to PG Music and people who actually post music there? laugh
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Multiple Posts Guideline? - 03/06/15 01:28 PM
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
Here's an idea:

Why not just do away with the guidelines, and appoint a Screening Committee to audition proposed submissions to determine if they meet the Criteria established by the Committee?

4. Has the Submitter made sufficient obsequious comments on other poster's songs?

Bob,
you raise some legitimate questions here in a funny way... and I think that's good. But the core thing we're dealing with here is a difference of opinion that has potential to split the forum into factions. Based on comments I've read, most of us want to settle the differences amicably and end up with an official guideline... and NOT split the group into factions.

The problem with your input here is that it is specifically intended to declare a new faction that's at odds with the position echoed by just about everybody who has weighed in so far. Why are you doing that?

Quote:
Here's another idea:

Why not leave changes to the Showcase guidelines to PG Music and people who actually post music there? laugh

well, apparently you mean me. Two responses to that question:

1) if you actually read the whole thread, the first umpteen posts were made by people who actually post music.

2) If anybody who posts raised the issue it would have come across as self-serving. I'm a neutral party since I don't post, and therefore it makes sense for the impartial observer to present the will of the posters to PGMusic to see if they agree. I don't care one way or the other.. why would I?

But people who post on the user showcase communicate with me, and I have been aware for a long time that this is an issue that could potentially blow up on us if it doesn't get addressed. So we're trying to address it and maintain harmony in the group.

Now, regarding your legitimate objections:
I actually agree in principle that fewer rules are almost always the way to go. It's worth mentioning that both groups... the veteran posters AND the new posters... have both expressed a desire for an official guideline on this.
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Multiple Posts Guideline? - 03/06/15 02:21 PM
The "please don't post too many songs at once" is a guiding principle at EVERY songwriting web site that I know about. It is good to learn that lesson here instead of at some places that might be less friendly. PGFantanstic and I just finished FAWM (14 songs and 28 days) and we could have easily approached world domination by posting all of our songs here! Hmmm, world domination sounds like a fun hobby.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Multiple Posts Guideline? - 03/06/15 02:30 PM
Here's an idea:

Bob,
you raise some legitimate questions here in a funny way... and I think that's good. But the core thing we're dealing with here is a difference of opinion that has potential to split the forum into factions. Based on comments I've read, most of us want to settle the differences amicably and end up with an official guideline... and NOT split the group into factions.

The problem with your input here is that it is specifically intended to declare a new faction that's at odds with the position echoed by just about everybody who has weighed in so far. Why are you doing that?

Quote:
Here's another idea:

well, apparently you mean me. Two responses to that question:

1) if you actually read the whole thread, the first umpteen posts were made by people who actually post music.

2) If anybody who posts raised the issue it would have come across as self-serving. I'm a neutral party since I don't post, and therefore it makes sense for the impartial observer to present the will of the posters to PGMusic to see if they agree. I don't care one way or the other.. why would I?

But people who post on the user showcase communicate with me, and I have been aware for a long time that this is an issue that could potentially blow up on us if it doesn't get addressed. So we're trying to address it and maintain harmony in the group.

Now, regarding your legitimate objections:
I actually agree in principle that fewer rules are almost always the way to go. It's worth mentioning that both groups... the veteran posters AND the new posters... have both expressed a desire for an official guideline on this.

“The problem with your input here is that it is specifically intended to declare a new faction that's at odds with the position echoed by just about everybody who has weighed in so far. Why are you doing that?”

Man. Where do you come up with this stuff? grin

“... specifically intended to declare a new faction...”

I don't even know what that means. grin I would never knowingly be a part of any 'faction'.

Allow me to elucidate.

My 'input' here was specifically intended to observe that something that could have been discreetly handled in PM's has caused embarrassment to some new members by admonishing them in an open forum – unnecessarily.

I would ask you your own question to me:

“Why are you doing that?”

“if you actually read the whole thread, the first umpteen posts were made by people who actually post music.”

Actually, the first post is a quote from you, admonishing a new member for improper etiquette.

“Now, regarding your legitimate objections:”

This statement exemplifies the hubris that I also “....specifically intended to declare...”.

So you are the arbiter of what is 'legitimate'? Did I miss an election for Hall Monitor somewhere? laugh

In future, I'll run my objections by you for your approval prior to posting. grin
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: Multiple Posts Guideline? - 03/06/15 02:55 PM
Wow! Too many big words! smile
Pat no need to apologize.

One small problem I can see arising.
If for example you have a song posted on page one, it is possible
for some to comment on one or two of your songs say from page 3 and five.
This technically places three of your songs on page one.

If some one didn't pick up on the posting dates they could make an issue.
Just a thought.

The old saying if it aint broke don't try to fix it.
May be a work around called be a warning from PG in your mail box
to mention you are over posting.
Or an automatic freeze on posting music for say seventy two hours or what ever time period works.
Don't know how many lines of new code and man hours this would take.
Just another thought.

Rob.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Multiple Posts Guideline? - 04/29/15 09:23 AM
Sure is a good thing this new policy was instituted. It's working well. grin
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Multiple Posts Guideline? - 05/04/15 01:52 PM
Sure is a good thing this new policy was instituted. It's working well. grin

I would have to agree with you there. grin
© PG Music Forums