PG Music Home
Am I missing something that I should have on my wish list...??

Guitar Modeling and Effects Processor

1. Fractal Audio Systems - Axe-Fx II [$2500+]
http://www.fractalaudio.com/p-axe-fx-ii-preamp-fx-processor.php

2. Kemper Profiling Amp [$1980]
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ProfileRk

3. Line 6 POD HD Pro X Rackmount [$699]
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PodHDProX

4. Protools 11 Rack. [$649]
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ElevenRackwGC

5. Line 6 Firehawk [$449]
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Firehawk
Roland VG-99 "V-Guitar" system, ca. $1200, plus GK-3 divided pickup (ca. $225) plus GK 13-pin cable (varies by length and quality). I recommend the optional remote control unit, as otherwise you are on your knees to make patch and program changes.

I've had the VG-88 since 2007, and it is a Wonderful Thing. The 99 has several significant improvements, most notably a true pitch to MIDI controller. The guitar emulations are superb, and the system faithfully captures every nuance of your playing.

I'd go on, but I'm writing this on my phone. Look for the reviews, and prepare to be amazed.
Input appreciated. cool I am having a conference call with my Sweetwater rep later today and hope to come to some conclusions and decisions... grin
Originally Posted By: jazzmandan

This brand new setup has bubbled to the very top. Sweetwater agrees it meets my requirements in multiple categories.

So now the question is, will I be the first here in the forum to have one?
What are your goals for amp simulation? I have a Zoom G5 and I'm very happy with it. Great Fender and Marshall amp sims, but my favorite is their Two Rock Emerald sim.

The Z-axis pedal lets me use pretty much just one patch for a 5 song set.

Also, you won't find any amp sims/multi-FX that have time multipliers for the tempo. For example, you want U2 dotted 8th delays, you tap in 1/4 notes and if you have dotted 8th picked for the time multiplier, it's there instantly. I shopped hard for this feature because many of the songs I'm required to play live use dotted 8ths. You'll pay easily a couple hundred dollars more to get this feature in any other device.

So, what is your goal for going amp sim with multi-fx?
Originally Posted By: rockstar_not
So, what is your goal for going amp sim with multi-fx?

Good question, got me to thinking and has delayed me pulling the trigger since I don't have a good answer. Yet.
I guess I am searching for the same thing every guitar player looks for.... TONE.

I need it for the 90% of my recording work in the studio (hehe otherwise know as my man-cave in the spare bedroom) and the 10% live playing. I have never found it in any amp I have owned. Closest I have come is Amplitube for my recording and an old POD2 from back in the day. 8 of the 10 knobs on the POD2 froze years ago and it is no longer functional. I keep it as a decoration next to the lava lamp.

My live amp rig currently is a Fender Jazzmaster-Ultralight (...you don't see these around much any more). It has a great clean tone for when I am comping jazz standards, but little to no crunch or bite for rocken-out or taking lead.

The Amplitube works for my recording, but I find it limiting and when working with it live, it just is to difficult to rely on.

I want different types of lead Tone and I don't want to have to program it. I want it as a pre-set. No heavy distortion, more along the lines of delay and that LesPaul sustain.

I just returned from the local Music Store (SamAsh), no Line 6 Firehawks on display, too early. But the other pedal boards I looked at just did not give me a sense of what I am looking for.

So this may be a bit of a leap of faith to pull the trigger on the Fire Hawk. But no guts, no glory...
"I guess I am searching for the same thing every guitar player looks for.... TONE."

Oh yes, it will be mine...

Cool lookin' toy there, Dan... I hope there will be a post in the Showcase showing us all what it can do... !!!!!!!! (Really)
I might be old school..... but tubes.....smoking hot tubes shaking some EV or Celeston speakers..... that's tone.

I have a Pod 2 that I use because it's quieter than sticking a mic on a speaker running at a certain volume..... but when it's time to separate the men from the boys..... plug in the Mesa and crank it up.
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
I might be old school.....

No one here more old school then me, but sometimes those old school things just never clicked for ya, so when a new school thing comes along you gotta go for it.
Oh yes, it will be mine...

I don't think I could even get through the manual on that thing! grin
14 page manual.

It is all controlled via and free IOS or Android App. You just click on pictures of amps and cabinets to select them and slide the Fx to the degree and order you want. Or just select the presets from a library of Songs and Artists all from the cloud.

How's that for new school. crazy

Interesting Protools 11 Rack, but when I looked, the price was listed at $949.99. Even at $949.99 it has me salivating. smile

Jeaux
Originally Posted By: Kajun Jeaux

Interesting Protools 11 Rack, but when I looked, the price was listed at $949.99. Even at $949.99 it has me salivating. smile

Jeaux

That price is for the "pro package" which includes a bunch of extra stuff...
The 11 Rack was one of the first rigs to use "hardware to simulated software to simulated hardware". It has been out for a lot of years. I remember it was very cool in the day.
Seriously... Ordered online yesterday from Sweetwater - truck coming this morning. Now, what at the chances they can't find my house??

"Now, what at the chances they can't find my house?"

I don't think they'll have any trouble finding your house. There's a guy out front jumping up and down and waving madly. grin
If they can't find your house I have an address they can easily find wink
Beautiful, should have filmed the unboxing. But that is sooo geeky!

Simple to set up, guitar 1/4 in, 1/4 out to Motu Interface - but nothing!! So I switched to just the turner - no signal going in?? eek After a few minutes realized I had the wrong guitar cable plugged in, there are so many laying on my floor. crazy

So I then see I have input signal but no sound coming out. eek After a few minutes I realized the volume pedal was in the off position. blush A slight push in the on position and --Houston we have liftoff!! grin
I hope you like your new G.A.S. item and get good use out of it but have to ask the following:

You said you liked AmpliTube so out of curiosity why not just buy IK's iRig UA (Android ) or if you are an iPad or iPod user the iRig HD?

Good Luck
Larry
Dan,
congrats on your new piece of gear! You seem to be genuinely excited about it! I like seeing that kind of excitement...
Just wanted to give a brief update.

I had a Line 6 Pod (remember the red bean) back many years ago (...most of the knobs froze on it over the years and I now use it as decoration next to the lava lamp).

So the first thing I did with the FH-FX was search the cloud for a couple of the tones I used to really like. Found then and assigned them to an open patch. Working with these old tones was like finding old friends. Combine that that with several new friends I found in the presets and I am in tone-heaven.

There have been a couple of issues with the first version out the door. Line 6 is promising firmware upgrades to add a looper and fix issues which are setting their forum on fire from customers. But overall I am lovin it.
© PG Music Forums