PG Music Home
Posted By: floyd jane Taylor Swift vs. Apple Streaming - 06/21/15 12:34 PM
...fighting for the rights of songwriters, artists, producers..

Her "letter" to Apple..

http://taylorswift.tumblr.com/post/122071902085/to-apple-love-taylor

Rolling Stone's article on it..

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/taylor-swift-explains-why-1989-wont-be-on-apple-music-in-open-letter-20150621

Posted By: MarioD Re: Taylor Swift vs. Apple Streaming - 06/21/15 01:25 PM
Good for her! I now have an appreciation for Taylor Swift. I'm glad someone is taking the lead fighting corporate music.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Taylor Swift vs. Apple Streaming - 06/21/15 01:36 PM
I admire that. She's right, and respectful while making a point.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Taylor Swift vs. Apple Streaming - 06/21/15 06:03 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Good for her! I now have an appreciation for Taylor Swift. I'm glad someone is taking the lead fighting corporate music.

I appreciate her defense of backstagers. She has the public visibility to get Apple's attention without being rude.

Let's see what develops from this and hope that other high profile artists will follow her lead.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Taylor Swift vs. Apple Streaming - 06/21/15 10:25 PM
Fire away but....Spotify allows free listens even if you don't pay for an add free option. After the three month introduction Apple will play slightly over the standard on ALL plays with no option for listeners to play for free. I'm not carrying their water but Apple has been more of a friend to the music industry for years than ANY of the other players (OK on a relative basis). Apparently her beef is only with the introductory three month period that is free. Given the amount of credit card info that Apple already holds and the ease with which anybody who is an iTunes customer can sign up and begin streaming, IMHO it would seem that the numbers brought in during this 90 day period will ultimately be to the advantage of the artists. No, I don't have the data but given the higher fees than Spotify (and other streamers) that Apple will pay after the trial period and the numbers of customers added it could be a wash.

And there is an ironical undercurrent to all of this and that is if you are unscrupulous and don't care about intellectual property rights you have been able to steal about any digital content you want for years. Me? I will not burn copies of CD's for folks or pass on digital content that I purchase. Period. Never have and never will but it's a new world and this may be a bit of a tempest in a teapot...or Apple may fold like a cheap suitcase. What the hell do I know?

06//22/2015 Edit: Obviously not much! smile

Bud
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Taylor Swift vs. Apple Streaming - 06/21/15 10:46 PM
That's why I don't understand Apple, because they have been among the best to artists in a bad situation. That's the case for me, anyway.

I'm just surprised by their business model. When else did you ever hear of a business asking for its suppliers to donate everything for the first three months? Apple can afford to pay the proper meager royalties in those first three months. And I say that as an Apple share owner.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Taylor Swift vs. Apple Streaming - 06/22/15 02:34 AM
I appears the letter was effective: Apple Reverses Policy After Taylor Swift Open Letter
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Taylor Swift vs. Apple Streaming - 06/22/15 05:15 AM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
I appears the letter was effective: Apple Reverses Policy After Taylor Swift Open Letter

Well that is absolutely amazing. A company that actually listens! Personally I think Apple is an amazing company that does more for music than any other company. I think the streaming service is going to be available in South Africa (unlike Spotify etc) so I am definitely lining up for that one. I will also check that my existing releases that are currently released through The Orchard will be on there.

I wander if Taylor will now allow her music on....
Posted By: Brian Cadoret Re: Taylor Swift vs. Apple Streaming - 06/23/15 03:28 PM
Interesting read from another perspective.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-33232244

http://petapixel.com/2015/06/22/an-open-response-to-taylor-swifts-rant-against-apple/#more-170376
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Taylor Swift vs. Apple Streaming - 06/23/15 11:16 PM
And today's news is that Apple will pay, but now they say the rate is only one-fifth what it will be after the trial period.

You have to wonder why they would want more bad publicity, when they so easily could have come out of this looking good.
© PG Music Forums