PG Music Home
Josie jumped in to help with my first ever album but is having trouble because I only had mp3s for her to work with and attempt to salvage.

Hopefully, someone will replace the the MIDI tracks with real instruments and provide the glaring necessity for dissection and surgery.

PM me or Josie for a link to the tracks.

"You people knew me before fame corrupted me!"

- Don Gaynor
Josie's message this morning:

"I really just put them through ozone. Maybe it is not a bad idea for you to ask the forum if anyone is willing to give them a go. I am sure people like Floyd, bud, tommy, Herb or rog could really make them shine."
Don, are you saying the mp3's are stereo mixes combining all your tracks or does she have mp3's of each individual track?
Jim, unfortunately they are already mixed and the original tracks are no longer available. My few remaining vocals were pre-BIAB/RB so I didn't even save them. Being mute means I can't re-dub the vocals. It may not be worthy of your time.

A guitarist friend from London did a great job of adding a Strat track to one song but first laid down a completely new drum/rhythm track. That may be necessary on all songs.
Hi all and Don

I think the songs are just great. The album will be a wonderful thing for anybody who knows you to have in their collection and definitely worth publishing as it is.

What I am not confident in is my own mastering skills. I just put them through a preset in Ozone without too much of a clue as to what I was doing or what I should be looking for. I was wandering if anybody else on the forum would volunteer and could maybe do a better job with the tracks. I don't think it is necessary or desirable to rework the mixing or the arrangements or change the vocals in any way.

Looking forward to having our very own Don Gaynor published on iTunes. It is going to happened very soon!!
Josie,

Something that has always troubled me is the two plosives in the vocals. I did some micro surgery but it still is there to a distracting degree. It may only be because I know they are there that makes them stand out in my ear.

Don
Originally Posted By: Don Gaynor
Josie,

Something that has always troubled me is the two plosives in the vocals. I did some micro surgery but it still is there to a distracting degree. It may only be because I know they are there that makes them stand out in my ear.

Don

I've done a lot of mp3 recovery projects and I'm hearing two different elements being discussed. The approach to adding additional instrumentation is different than eq'ing across the master and doing micro eq'ing on plosives. Don, I recall seeing some posted songs from you with you doing vocals on classic country tunes. I'm sure your stuff likely just needs some restorative mastering. The recordings I heard were really nice.
Originally Posted By: c_fogle

eq'ing across the master and doing micro eq'ing on plosives.... I'm sure your stuff likely just needs some restorative mastering.

Hi Charlie
This is what we are after. Would you like to give it a try?
just a thought, doesn't forumite rharv run http://www.masteringmatters.com/
maybe have a chat with the expert cool

Alyn
You should be working on the WAVE files if you have them. Master those then convert them to MP3.... don't sweeten the mp3's unless that's all you have and the waves are cosmic digital debris....

Under other circumstances, I would be more inclined to jump in and help, however, at this point, as JC knows...I'm slammed up with work and my own digital projects.

Best wishes on the mastering/sweetening.
Thanks for the offer but I'm with Gibson and Guitarhacker regarding it would be best to find a source with commercial experience mastering and the quality equipment or software on a project such as this.
I currently don't have Ozone but have the Master section that is included with Studio One 2 Professional. It appears from other discussions that Ozone with presets is easier. I imagine that experience with Ozone is even a bigger plus.
It would be interesting to work a file to see what I could do with it.
© PG Music Forums