PG Music Home
Posted By: Ryszard Best. Christmas. Present. Ever. - 12/05/15 08:06 PM
I got a phone call this morning after a text last weekend clearing the time. It was my son, Richard III, from whom I have not heard in 10 years.

I have never known why he broke contact, and I did not ask today. We simply picked up as if time and events had never intervened. We talked for an hour and a half and have been texting back and forth since.

I did ask why he chose to reconnect. The fact that he did so was an answer to prayer, but the reason he gave matched the exact prayer I used. I had hoped for a change of heart rather than some sense of duty or guilt, and the change happened. Sometimes I have trouble remembering that prayer works.

Then we just talked, about jobs, relationships, cabbages, kings, and—music. In 1998 I gave him a really nice Squier Strat and Fender amp, after which I gave lessons (personally—I used to do that). In a few weeks we were playing together. We had sporadic contact for several years after a nasty divorce, and then nothing.

Today he has an interest in playing metal and listening to jazz(!), and often goes to hear live music. In fact, he just took delivery on a custom Dunable Yarnhawk, which he has tuned to low B. I asked whether it was a seven string. He said no, but it "really crunches" in low registers. O heart, be still! This is really cool.

My wife, brother, sister, and mother know about this. I wanted to share it with you next. Some of you will appreciate it because of difficulties you have been through, others know something of mine. I don't know of anyone who could be more blessed than I, but I wish all of this and more on all of you.

Thanks for reading, and Merry Christmas,

Richard

Posted By: Ryszard Re: Best. Christmas. Present. Ever. - 12/05/15 08:13 PM
We hung up at noon, but we have been texting back and forth ever since. This is great!
Posted By: musiclover Re: Best. Christmas. Present. Ever. - 12/05/15 08:19 PM
Looks like its going to be a great Christams for you all Ryszard.

Things happen in life and we carry on with a heavy heart, nothing else to do, but great when it works out in the end.

Good for you both.

Musiclover
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Best. Christmas. Present. Ever. - 12/05/15 08:30 PM
That is sooooooo nice! Thank you for sharing the experience with us.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Best. Christmas. Present. Ever. - 12/05/15 08:56 PM
This story should be a Christmas movie! Most excellent.

Merry Christmas.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Best. Christmas. Present. Ever. - 12/05/15 09:33 PM
great news Richard, and a testimony to the power of prayer! Thanks for sharing it with this group of friends.

Some people would have felt that was too personal to post here... but the fact that you did so speaks volumes about your attitude toward this group. I don't take that lightly. You're a good guy, easy to like and respect. I'm glad that such an uplifting event has shaped up for you this Christmas.

Posted By: Ryszard Re: Best. Christmas. Present. Ever. - 12/05/15 10:15 PM
I take relationships seriously. I don't have many, and treasure those that I do. It has often been said that this is the best community on the Internet. It is for me, and it goes way beyond tech support.

People here reach out to others in exceptional ways. A lot goes on behind the scenes, and I have benefited from that. Everyone is made to feel welcome, but I have been made to feel accepted. That's HUGE.

Thanking an individual is easy. But how to thank a community? The only sincere way I know is to trust you enough to share my great blessing.

Thanks to everyone, not only for what you have done for me, but for all that we do for each other.
Posted By: jford Re: Best. Christmas. Present. Ever. - 12/05/15 11:19 PM
I'm so glad for you Richard. What an amazing Christmas present. Certainly beats anything money can buy.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Best. Christmas. Present. Ever. - 12/05/15 11:53 PM
That's wonderful news Richard.

Life doesn't wait for anyone and it's very fortunate that the intervening 10 years has not introduced insurmountable obstacles. Have a really great Christmas.

Noel
Posted By: MarioD Re: Best. Christmas. Present. Ever. - 12/06/15 12:10 AM
This is fantastic news! It will be a very Merry Christmas for you this year.

God blessed you all!
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Best. Christmas. Present. Ever. - 12/06/15 12:56 AM
Fantastic news and the type of thing that should happen to people.

My spirits were already up because I've just come in from the Newsong 'A very merry Christmas tour' a few minutes ago. Very uplifting.

Left my ears ringing but your answered prayer still came through loud and clear.

Happy for you and your son. The Newsong Christmas tour will be near you in Woodstock Sunday, 12/13 at the First Baptist Church. Might be a good concert for you and your son to attend. Three other groups besides Newsong, Brandon Heath, Plumb and Reno.

Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Best. Christmas. Present. Ever. - 12/06/15 08:30 AM
Richard

What a truly warm delivery, straight from the heart, and I could only hope to sense the true elation you must be enjoying right now.

I can't possibly be happier for you, firstly for being so candid about your situation, and secondly, because this might just deliver 10 years worth of Christmases, all at once. I certainly hope so.

Good on you. Have a great Christmas.

Trev
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: Best. Christmas. Present. Ever. - 12/06/15 01:52 PM
I am SO happy and excited for you! That is a true blessing to hear about!
© PG Music Forums