PG Music Home
Posted By: Mac Lap Steel Ace - 05/07/09 09:47 PM
Billy Robinson and his lap steel.

10 strings, at 12-string spacing, his own tuning combo and a bit of slantbar technique go a long way:

http://billyrobinson.net/billys_videos.htm

Sweet sounds.

--Mac
Posted By: Howard Re: Lap Steel Ace - 05/08/09 07:06 AM
The older guy teaseing him in the first clip is my favorite nonpedaler Leonard I. Zinn. Also a hall of fame member. Ihanks for posting these great clips, Mac.
Posted By: furry Re: Lap Steel Ace - 05/08/09 08:34 AM
I've seen a few of his clips on you tube and you can really get yourself immersed listening to him.
There's some fabulous clips taken at a Hawaaian guitar convention a couple of years ago. I think Billy's in there too.
If I ever get the chance it's the 2nd instrument I would love to learn, lap steel or pedal steel.
Posted By: Mac Re: Lap Steel Ace - 05/08/09 02:19 PM
Quote:

The older guy teaseing him in the first clip is my favorite nonpedaler Leonard I. Zinn. Also a hall of fame member. Ihanks for posting these great clips, Mac.

Naturally I thought of you right away, Howard. These were brought to my attention by someone who was knocked out by the clean amplified sound of the thing and wanted to know how they might come up with said sound for their home recordings. My reply was for them to keep practicing the lap steel, sound like that doesn't come in but a few months of instrument ownership (grin).

--Mac
Posted By: Howard Re: Lap Steel Ace - 05/09/09 12:39 AM
Rick Alexander puts on these shows every year at the big steel guitar convention in St Louis on labor day weekend, and again in march at the show in Dallas. Rick is a very nice person and he has a ton of videos from those shows. Plus he has a large collection of guitars and non pedal steels at his home in Florida. If you Google him he has a lot of vids on Youtube, not many as clean as the ones Mac found. I have a couple of lap steels but I'm amazed by guys that get so much out of them. I need pedals and knee levers.
© PG Music Forums