PG Music Home
I just ordered this free plug-in that will add that old vinyl sound to your recordings, i.e. scratches, wobble, you know that old turnstile noises:

https://www.izotope.com/en/products/effects-instruments/vinyl

Once I get it I will post how it works but for free it is worth a try.
Mario have you tried it yet? Your thoughts???

I'm thinking it could be a fun effect.
I really liked the 'Year' knob control. That is a great feature I'm sure.

Only thing missing was a 'how well I store my records' knob, although I guess that's taken care of by the 'wear', 'scratch' and 'dust' controls.

Interesting little addition for sure.

Yes, I'll be looking forward to some feedback too.
even though it's free, I think I'll pass.

I thought that was the entire reason for going digital.... to get rid of the noise, hiss, pops and clicks.
Well I finally got around to playing with this a little. It is a fun toy that I may use once in a while but it will not be a go to plug in. Everything works as indicated. The year knob works best with the RPM setting so you will need to know what year each RPM record came out if you want it to sound real. For instance the 1930 and the 78 RPM would sound best on "Winchester Cathedral" if you were emulating a 1930 recording.

There is no MIDI learn that I found in my quick one pass test so I couldn't assign sliders and knobs to the functions. Thus you either have to manually switch the unit on or off or record the entire wav and use volume/gain to add or subtract the effect(s).

The spin down will be fun as you can press the button, start you song, and release the button. It sounds exactly like a record player being turned on with the needle already on the record.

Would I buy this, no. But as a freebee it is a fun tool.

Herb, you are exactly right but if you wanted to emulate a worn record this is the tool to have available.

YMMV.
Sometimes it's the Retro Sound we are after. I wouldn't buy it either but it might be a fun plug. I believe PG calls it "Vinyl" but it doesn't add pops, hiss, wow & flutter, or scratches. lol
Something like that would be great for retro scenes in an animation where a record player or similar older device is being played.

Its a special case effect used specifically to REMOVE the polish when you need to simulate the technology from a previous era. (Like the video effects that simulate the wobble introduced by a hand-held video camera, or the sepia tone color that preceded full color movies and photos.)

As Mario said... probably not going to be anybody's "go to" plug, but it would have uses for some people in some projects. For the price, I'll probably DL it... (thanks for the heads-up, Mario!)

FWIW, you could probably accomplish much of the same sound with a tinny EQ and a second track of a loop that introduces crackling sounds... like an open fire or cellophane being crumpled, radio static or vinyl noise.. all sounds that can be found on the free sound effect sites.

Does it have an option to emulate a nickel on the tonearm?

J&B
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Does it have an option to emulate a nickel on the tonearm?

J&B

Yes it does, but it only works on songs by Nickleback!
Mario,

Mine required a Canadian Quarter-Looney but it would only play Ian & Silvia and Gordon Lightfoot.

Donny
I just received the marketing email for this. Apparently it was their first plug in and they are giving away for their 15 year anniversary. I will give it a try at some point too.
Originally Posted By: Don Gaynor
Mario,

Mine required a Canadian Quarter-Looney but it would only play Ian & Silvia and Gordon Lightfoot.

Donny

Don, why don't you Rush right down and get your Looney back grin
Originally Posted By: MarioD

I don't Geddy it.
Originally Posted By: MarioD

Ba-Boom-Chuk

Actually saw their R40 40th Anniversary tour last summer. They can still rock.
Joni Mitchell fades in and out. Sort of a circle game, kinda.
Haven't recorded with the plugin but just played with it realtime. I like the spin down effect as discussed in the tips.

Tips & Tutorials Page Including Vinyl
I'd use it if I could make my songs sound like the old Needle Drop song used in the Interstate Batteries TV Commerical, 'Swamp'. It features an old abandoned 1954 Ford 'Mainline' completely covered in mud and vines, and the radio is playing 'Life's A Gamble' by Werner Drexler, Michael Pride and Jonathan Britain. I love that old scratchy Big Band sound. Don't get me wrong, I'm not an old man or anything like that. grin

Jeaux
On that tips link I provided above, there is a tip for making the old-timey radio sound in Vinyl. The example and settings they provided sound pretty good. Definitely will be something I save for later.
Izotope.com is also providing their DDLYL Dynamic Delay FREE for the next month too. Just received email about that one.
© PG Music Forums