PG Music Home
Posted By: floyd jane Windows 7 & 8 Users!!! READ THIS!!! - 02/03/16 05:05 PM
Microsoft is upgrading you to 10 if you have automatic updates turned on.

Microsoft makes Windows 10 an automatic download

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/baynews9/news/article.html/content/news/articles/cfn/2016/2/3/microsoft_make_windo.html

(There is chance this is a rumor. But better safe than sorry)
The major news outlets are not reporting this at the moment...
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Windows 7 & 8 Users!!! READ THIS!!! - 02/03/16 05:19 PM
Thanks. I'm not sure about that one.

I read that Microsoft changed the status of the update to 10 from 'available' to 'recommended'. This is quite different from forcing an automatic update. However, I can't personally verify that because I am successfully running Windows 10 on all three PCs.

Another source said that Windows 10 will be downloaded, so in case you decide to install it, it is immediately ready to update. Perhaps that is what you saw?

[I have to say, if true, that's a terrible thing to do to someone with a small SSD boot drive.]
Posted By: Beagle Re: Windows 7 & 8 Users!!! READ THIS!!! - 02/03/16 05:22 PM
I upgraded my win7 DAW to win10 during Christmas and am running smoothly.

but I would not want a forced update! that's insane! I hope that's not verified.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Windows 7 & 8 Users!!! READ THIS!!! - 02/03/16 05:27 PM

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-starts-pushing-windows-10-as-a-recommended-update/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2016/02/02/windows-10-automatic-installs-for-windows-7-windows-8/#4eb27dec75eb

Posted By: HearToLearn Re: Windows 7 & 8 Users!!! READ THIS!!! - 02/03/16 05:33 PM
I hope they don't force it! Thanks for the heads up FJ. I didn't know this was out there at all. I just get the nag thing once in a while, but this seems a bit stronger.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Windows 7 & 8 Users!!! READ THIS!!! - 02/03/16 05:35 PM
Auto updates are now off. Thanks for the heads up fj.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: seeker Re: Windows 7 & 8 Users!!! READ THIS!!! - 02/03/16 09:50 PM
Thank you very much for the heads up.....
I do not want 10 at this time in my career......LOL
Posted By: Sundance Re: Windows 7 & 8 Users!!! READ THIS!!! - 02/04/16 01:07 AM
Yikes! Thanks FJ.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Windows 7 & 8 Users!!! READ THIS!!! - 02/04/16 09:33 AM
I don't have to worry about that ... without an internet connection to my DAW, it doesn't know what the word "UPDATE" means. XP Pro/32 factory install with SP 2&3 installed and running like a top.

My other machines that are connected.... auto updates are and have been off. I get pop-ups from time to time asking if I'd like to DL W-10.... I click the "X".

Don't try to fix something that isn't broken.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Windows 7 & 8 Users!!! READ THIS!!! - 02/06/16 01:10 PM
Somewhere else, I read that Windows 7 is M$ most stable platform ever. I'm running Windows 7/64 for several years and I'd go kicking and screaming if they force me to update.

XP was very stable but 7 is rock solid.
Posted By: Beagle Re: Windows 7 & 8 Users!!! READ THIS!!! - 02/06/16 10:10 PM
I had thought the same thing, I didn't upgrade until Christmas.

my wife has win8 on her computer and I didn't care for it at all, so I thought I was going to stay on win7 forever. but after looking at what others have done and talke to others, I decided to do it! and I love it!
© PG Music Forums