PG Music Home
Posted By: furry Sonar X1 Essential - 02/17/16 08:26 AM
Just wondering if this'll work with windows 10 guys ? Great price on Amazon just now
Posted By: jford Re: Sonar X1 Essential - 02/17/16 09:03 AM
Graham -

If you are looking at Sonar X1 Essential (which is the entry level version of Sonar, why not look into the newest Sonar Artist.

I see on Amazon that Sonar X1 Artist is $80US; however, it is a five year old product and there won't be any fixes or updates to it. And there was a Sonar X2 and Sonar X3 in between. It would sort of be like buying BIAB 2011 today.

For $99US, you could have the much newer Sonar Artist (which is the new entry level for Sonar).
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Sonar X1 Essential - 02/17/16 09:40 AM
You gotta be careful when you're updating the OS to the latest and greatest and hoping older software will run on it.

I understand the lure of really nice low prices..... but they are low for a reason. If the software doesn't specifically list W-10 in it's specs, it's a coin-toss. It might work and then again it might not. If it works, you're in fine shape and saved money... if it doesn't work, you just wasted the entire amount and the time you spent. In addition, you can't call CW tech support because they will tell you they don't support it on that OS.... you will be SOL.

I have X1 essentials (X1e). If I had a W-10 machine, I would of course try running it..... BUT, if I didn't have X1e and needed to buy it, I would opt to buy the newer offerings from Cakewalk that would positively be compatible with the newer OS W-10 even if it was a bit more pricey. It's not worth the hassle to mess around with compatibility issues when you can buy compatibility right off the shelf.

I had the unfortunate experience of having an older version of Cakewalk Pro 8 Deluxe and my sound card driver stop working when I needed to update my computer due to a business software update and subsequent requirement to upgrade the OS to run the biz software. So yeah, sometimes the OS in the new machines will not run the old software.

I'm now setting at that figurative brick wall again with respects to my DAW. But until it dies, it will run X1e on XP Pro32 because it is rock solid in what it does.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Sonar X1 Essential - 02/17/16 10:54 AM
I was running SONAR X3e on Windows 8 and upgraded to 10, and it worked fine.

I don't know about X1 because most of us went to X2 and X3, not just to keep current but because each new release had far fewer bugs and better stability. I would try SONAR 8.5 over X1 if I had to choose an older SONAR.

SONAR Artist is indeed affordable now and has proven to be very popular, according to a statement last week by Craig Anderton.
Posted By: furry Re: Sonar X1 Essential - 02/17/16 11:20 AM
Guys, I'm not a huge user of sonar, I just basically use it to record midi from the reason 3 synth and export it as a wav. I don't edit from it nor, add effects, I've plenty other plug ins I can use. In other words, it doesn't have to have all the whistles & bangs with it and be able to cook the dinner while you have a nap. I suppose you could say I'm a low end user who just needs to record midi from reason
Posted By: jford Re: Sonar X1 Essential - 02/17/16 01:09 PM
Right, Graham, but keep in mind that with Sonar X1, you are getting the product who's bugs were fixed in Sonar X2, which you wouldn't have. The current Sonar is what would have been Sonar X4, but it was rebranded without the "X's".

Is there a particular reason (pun intended) that you are looking at Sonar specifically. Assuming RealBand doesn't do what you want, why not look at Reaper or Cakewalk Music Creator 7, both of which are within the price point you seem to be looking and both of which support Rewire technology.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Sonar X1 Essential - 02/17/16 01:16 PM
Originally Posted By: jford
Right, Graham, but keep in mind that with Sonar X1, you are getting the product who's bugs were fixed in Sonar X2, which you wouldn't have. The current Sonar is what would have been Sonar X4, but it was rebranded without the "X's".

Is there a particular reason (pun intended) that you are looking at Sonar specifically. Assuming RealBand doesn't do what you want, why not look at Reaper or Cakewalk Music Creator 7, both of which are within the price point you seem to be looking and both of which support Rewire technology.

+1 What John said. Plus, you can buy Music Creator 7 right here at PG!

http://www.pgmusic.com/musiccreator.htm

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: MarioD Re: Sonar X1 Essential - 02/17/16 01:21 PM
IMHO-Sonar X1 was the first Cakewalk product with the new GUI and like many first generation products it had a ton of bugs. It wasn't until X3 that things finally were straightened out. Since there it is no longer supported you will be buying it as is.

My advise is to stay away from X1 and go with Sonar Artist. You will not be disappointed!
Posted By: furry Re: Sonar X1 Essential - 02/17/16 01:33 PM
OK thanks guys, for now real band doesn't support the reason 3 synth, but, I'm still trying to get a workaround
Posted By: musiclover Re: Sonar X1 Essential - 02/17/16 01:53 PM
Originally Posted By: furry
OK thanks guys, for now real band doesn't support the reason 3 synth, but, I'm still trying to get a workaround

Graham maybe I am taking this up all wrong, but are you trying to load one of the synth racks that is part of reason into one of the conventional DAWS as a VST or something like that.

I may be wrong but I don't know if this is possible other than to use rewire.

Cubase elements 8 the cut down version of cuabae can be had for £60-80 depending on what store you buy at.
From the Cubase manual

"ReWire and ReWire2 are special protocols for streaming audio between two computer applications. Developed by Propellerhead Software and Steinberg, ReWire provides the following possibilities and features:
•Realtime streaming of up to 64 separate audio channels (256 with ReWire2), at full bandwidth, from the “synthesizer application” into the “mixer application”.
In this case, the “mixer application” is of course Cubase. An example of a “synthesizer application” is Propellerhead Software’s Reason"

I believe available in Cubase elements 7 or 8 but not Cubase LE

I also believe you can download a trial of Cubase elements and you could try streaming Reason to it through rewire.

Cubase elements doesn't require the hardware protection dongle, so you are ok there.

Musiclover

Posted By: Beagle Re: Sonar X1 Essential - 02/17/16 02:49 PM
Originally Posted By: furry
Guys, I'm not a huge user of sonar, I just basically use it to record midi from the reason 3 synth and export it as a wav. I don't edit from it nor, add effects, I've plenty other plug ins I can use. In other words, it doesn't have to have all the whistles & bangs with it and be able to cook the dinner while you have a nap. I suppose you could say I'm a low end user who just needs to record midi from reason

in that case, I'd recommend Cakewalk Music Creator instead of X1 Essentials. MC7 is guaranteed to work with Win10 and it's only $20!

edit - didn't realize you could buy it from pg!!

edit 2: didn't read the post regarding rewire until after I posted. that info is probably the most correct.

I am certain that X1 Essentials did not have rewire 2 and I think the newest version of sonar does, but I'm not certain of that. and I don't know for certain if MC7 does or not, but I'll try to find out.

edit 3: laugh yes! MC7 supports Rewire2 but with limitations - only 1 instrument can be loaded per project. here's more info available on rewire capabilities for MC:

https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Music%20Creator%206%20Touch&language=3&help=SoftSynths.21.html

Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Sonar X1 Essential - 02/17/16 03:53 PM
I have X1e and have not found any bugs in it...

But MC7 rocks for the price....and I didn't know PG was selling it.

That should tell you how good MC7 is....

It's better than good, it's GREAT...!!!!
Posted By: furry Re: Sonar X1 Essential - 02/17/16 04:26 PM
Looking at mc 7 right now, looks good for a mere £25
© PG Music Forums