PG Music Home
Posted By: Pat Marr BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 05/23/16 11:52 AM
OK, we've talked about this in the past, so now I'm proposing an actual event for July 2017 in New York State.

Matt Finley hosts an annual music event on Lake George, usually during the last week of July. Everything I've seen and heard about it requires truck loads of superlatives in order to describe it adequately! Matt runs with the pros, so the music alone would be well worth the trip for anyone who can make it!

The fellowship with BIAB friends would be icing on the cake, and a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity!

This is a feeler post to gauge interest and provide sufficient time for planning. Unless something unexpected happens, I'm planning to attend.

Whether this turns into a large turnout or something involving only a few, I'm sure that whoever comes will be glad they did.

More info will be made available as July 2017 gets closer.
Posted By: MarioD Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 05/24/16 11:24 AM
Pat count me in. As soon as you get a date please let me know. Lake George in one of the lakes that my wife and I haven't been on yet. It will be our 50th wedding anniversary next year so this would be a nice short trip for us.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 05/24/16 11:52 AM
Cool! Thanks for weighing in Mario! And congratulations on an amazingly solid 50 years of marriage! You both must be remarkable people!

Note to everybody else:
OK, here's at least 3 forum regulars who will be in one place at the same time... and it's a BEAUTIFUL place too! The scenery alone would justify the trip! Likewise, Matt's music alone would justify the trip... but when you put it all together, it's going to be a unique intersection of experiences that those who join in will be talking about for years.

I'm sure Matt will be busy managing the Music event, so we won't be able to impose on him for anything more than a bit of his time. As a resort town, I'm sure we can find house rentals, motels or campgrounds nearby (depending on how long you want to stay and the degree of luxury you require in your accommodations. I'll probably stick around for a few days (or not) depending on availability of accommodations.

And it's over a year away, so nobody can say they didn't have time to plan.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 05/24/16 11:55 AM
And Matt, as soon as you know the date for your 2017 concert, please let us know so any interested parties can start to research and book lodging.
Posted By: jford Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 05/24/16 12:23 PM
If the stars align well, then Anita and I will try to make the trip. We'll keep our fingers crossed.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 05/24/16 12:27 PM
Thanks for doing this, Pat!!

Sent you a PM with a few details of what I know now.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 05/24/16 04:10 PM
Originally Posted By: jford
If the stars align well, then Anita and I will try to make the trip. We'll keep our fingers crossed.

Hey John, that would be AWESOME! I really enjoyed the conversations we had during my visit to your home, and it would be great to pick up where we left off!
Posted By: DrDan Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 05/24/16 05:04 PM
It is a wonderful idea and a beautiful part of the country. Like you say Pat, it is a long time away so hard to make any promise, but if there were a way for me to break away for an extended road trip with the wife I would love to give it my best try.
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 05/24/16 05:32 PM
Depending on when in July it is, I would be big time up for it! That would be a blast! Great idea! smile
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 05/24/16 06:07 PM
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
Depending on when in July it is, I would be big time up for it! That would be a blast! Great idea! smile

although it's too soon to nail the date down, be thinking in terms of the last week in July or first week in August 2017.

That gives us all a 2 week window to block out on the calendar and not put anything else there.

;-)
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 05/24/16 06:10 PM
Originally Posted By: jazzmandan
It is a wonderful idea and a beautiful part of the country. Like you say Pat, it is a long time away so hard to make any promise, but if there were a way for me to break away for an extended road trip with the wife I would love to give it my best try.

if you come, don't forget to bring your guitar! I bet we could find an evening to jam!
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 05/24/16 06:51 PM
I don't play guitar; can I come? [kidding]

Yes, my concert is most likely July 25, 2017. Outside chance it will be August 1 but unlikely. They haven't even finished this year's entertainment schedule, but I have first dibs on dates each year as we anchor the concert series.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 05/24/16 07:48 PM
Cindy and I just got a new truck and camper. A year from now I may know how to operate everything. It would be a fun trip.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 05/24/16 09:59 PM
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Cindy and I just got a new truck and camper. A year from now I may know how to operate everything. It would be a fun trip.

It would be! A man with a new truck and camper just about HAS to take a road trip to see his BIAB forum buddies! We'll find a local restaurant and test the waitress's patience, like we did that poor gal in Myrtle Beach!

;-)
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 05/25/16 07:28 AM
Well that is a lot closer for me than Canada! Yes, Pat I would be interested in coming to this event next year.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 05/25/16 03:05 PM
Originally Posted By: JosieC
Well that is a lot closer for me than Canada! Yes, Pat I would be interested in coming to this event next year.

WooHoo! Josie, that would be WONDERFUL!

Early expressions of interest may change by July 2017, so it doesn't make sense to say much about accommodations until we have a hard number of attendees... but it's a resort town, and renting spots to visitors is what they do!

Matt has suggested options that would make sense for a group... so whether we get a large or small turnout for this, we should be able to accommodate everybody!

I have a gig in Pennsylvania on the way there, so I'll have all my gear with me... come prepared to play music in the evenings!
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 05/25/16 03:31 PM
WOWSERS, Pat! You are to be commended for putting this idea together!

This bent old Irishman will be there in spirit. Please get videos for me?

Don
Posted By: Danny C. Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 05/25/16 04:01 PM
Can't complain about a one year notice. I will also start working it into my schedule, 1st step is blocking out some time . . . then the faiths take over.

I will do my part my friend, this is all I can promise at this point.

Later,
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 05/25/16 04:22 PM
Originally Posted By: Don Gaynor
WOWSERS, Pat! You are to be commended for putting this idea together!

This bent old Irishman will be there in spirit. Please get videos for me?

Don

maybe we can set up a skype session, Don... that way everybody in attendance could chat with you personally! I'll have my laptop with me... as the time gets closer, we can make sure we both have skype logins and we both know what they are
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 05/25/16 04:28 PM
Originally Posted By: Danny C.
Can't complain about a one year notice. I will also start working it into my schedule, 1st step is blocking out some time . . . then the faiths take over.

I will do my part my friend, this is all I can promise at this point.

Later,

I certainly understand that nobody can predict with certainty that they'll do something over a year away... but your response is a best case scenario, Danny! Blocking out the time and setting the goal is a positive first step!

I know you've already met both Mario and me... and I'm sure both of us will enjoy seeing you again! It would be great if you bring your guitar and the computer with your songs so you can play for us!

If everybody comes prepared to play, we may have to block out a separate time frame so we don't miss Matt's concert! ;-)
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 05/25/16 04:33 PM
a little prelude to the Matt Show!

Posted By: Pat Marr Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 05/25/16 04:35 PM
and maybe if we are lucky, we'll get a chance to hear Matt's lovely wife perform too:

This will be the confluence of multiple rivers of talent, nature and fellowship!
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 05/25/16 04:42 PM
if anybody has contact information for MAC, please extend an invitation to him and maybe even send him a link to this thread
Posted By: pghboemike Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 05/26/16 06:37 PM
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr

I have a gig in Pennsylvania on the way there,

anywhere near pittsburgh? being legally i don't drive but depending on where you are......
Posted By: DrDan Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 05/26/16 07:29 PM
and maybe if we are lucky, we'll get a chance to hear Matt's lovely wife perform too:

This will be the confluence of multiple rivers of talent, nature and fellowship!

Hot damn, that there is some pretty sweet sounds.... why would I be surprised? grin
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 05/26/16 07:31 PM
Originally Posted By: pghboemike

anywhere near pittsburgh? being legally i don't drive but depending on where you are......

it's about 2 hours east of you, In Altoona (Martinsburg, actually)

Maybe I could swing by on the way up or back though... I have relatives in Pittsburgh ... that would justify the trip!
Posted By: pghboemike Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 05/26/16 07:49 PM

Maybe I could swing by on the way up or back though... I have relatives in Pittsburgh ... that would justify the trip!

that would be great! and i have a year to practice even better

keep in mind i only know how to make reservations
Posted By: Danny C. Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 05/26/16 08:42 PM
I have already met Pat and Mario . . . and despite of that I will still try to make it! LMAO!

Later,
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 05/26/16 08:55 PM
Originally Posted By: pghboemike

Hey Mike, do you know Kenny Blake from Pittsburgh? Great funky jazz alto sax. We went to prep school together near Boston and played together often. He had a couple of jazz chart hits. Pretty sure he's based back home now.
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 05/26/16 09:37 PM
I have already met Pat and Mario . . . and despite of that I will still try to make it! LMAO!

Later,

Now THAT is funny!
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 05/26/16 09:39 PM
About Matt and his wife's videos...um...really? WOW! That's pretty amazing. All of the players were TIGHT! Thanks for that share! Who is the drummer btw? GREAT feel!
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 05/26/16 10:30 PM

Later,

Now THAT is funny!

LOL! Priceless, Danny! ;-)
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 05/26/16 10:31 PM
About Matt and his wife's videos...um...really? WOW! That's pretty amazing. All of the players were TIGHT! Thanks for that share! Who is the drummer btw? GREAT feel!

Matt, is that the drummer who played with SpyroGyra and Blood Sweat & Tears?
(Like I said previously.. Matt runs with the big dogs)
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 05/26/16 10:33 PM
Thanks! The credits at the end are too fast...

I really appreciate the "tight" comment because I had just written that song as a feature for my guitarist, and the band was sight-reading! Jeff Ciampa (guitarist) and his wife had hiked up a mountain across from my house (visible in most of my Facebook landscape photos) with my wife and me, and I named it "Just a Little Bit Higher". My band does not rehearse. I write the songs or the arrangements, record a composer's demo using BIAB, and send it to them with the sheet music. When we play live, I want it to sound like what it is: spontaneous. The occasional train wreck makes for audience fun.

Oh yes, my drummer is incredible. That's Joel Rosenblatt. He was Spyro Gyra's drummer for 13 years, and most recently the drummer for Blood Sweat & Tears. Now he freelances around New York City. He also does a lot of teaching at his studio, and records amazing drum tracks for hire.
Posted By: pghboemike Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 05/26/16 11:11 PM
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley

Hey Mike, do you know Kenny Blake from Pittsburgh? Great funky jazz alto sax.

sadly i've never met him but know of him and have appreciated his playing
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 05/26/16 11:12 PM
And here's a true story about Joel, with a Lake George slant:

Joel's been with me for over ten years. Near the beginning of that time, I announced the members of the band at the concert in Lake George this way:

"and on drums, our special guest artist is the amazing Joel Rosenblatt, long-time drummer with the supergroup, Spyro Gyra. Last night he was in Colorado. Tomorrow he'll be in North Carolina, but tonight he's here with us in Lake George!"

Soon after, Joel quit Spyro Gyra. He told me that listening to my introduction that night made him feel tired!
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 05/26/16 11:18 PM
Quote:
Oh yes, my drummer is incredible. That's Joel Rosenblatt. He was Spyro Gyra's drummer for 13 years, and most recently the drummer for Blood Sweat & Tears. Now he freelances around New York City. He also does a lot of teaching at his studio, and records amazing drum tracks for hire.

I won't derail the thread here, I'll just leave it at that explains it! I didn't recognize him, but haven't seen him in FOREVER. Just listening, I used to get him and Dave Weckl mixed up! It's great you are playing with the caliber of player.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 05/27/16 10:04 AM
Matt has sent me a bunch of pics that would be of interest to anyone who plans to attend... I think I'll post them a little at a time to keep bumping the thread so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle over the next 14 months.

One of the photo subjects is a building where we could all meet and play music (or just socialize) It has a kitchen and sufficient bathroom facilities to accommodate a whole group.

So it's looking like there will definitely be a place and time for playing your music if you come prepared to do so.

I'll also be posting links to area vacation rentals and tourism sites.

More info later, dribbled at a rate that never lets this get too far out of your mind... ;-)
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 05/27/16 07:21 PM
It would also allow some time to chart out a music video or documentary of the event.

Plenty of talent on hand, plus video and animation experts....

I'll supply my drone for aerial shots.....
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 07/30/16 03:26 AM
OK, update to our BIAB forum get together at Lake George New York. Matt Finley just contacted me and said that the date is nailed down.

In Matt's words: "We are definite for Tuesday July 25, 2017."

That's the date of his concert. Depending on when people arrive, we can also plan to hang out together the weekend before the concert.

But we have a whole year to figure that out. For now, anyone considering attending should block out that time on the calendar so it doesn't get forgotten or booked for some other purpose.

Thanks to Matt for letting us know that date is now determined!
Posted By: jford Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 07/31/16 09:35 PM
Keep the reminders coming, Pat. I've already talked to my wife and she's up for it, as long as nothing trips us up.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 08/01/16 10:29 AM
Keep the reminders coming, Pat. I've already talked to my wife and she's up for it, as long as nothing trips us up.

AWESOME! It will be good to see both of you again!

There's a fine line between keeping people informed and being a pest. I will certainly keep posting any new information as it comes available.

Matt has sent me local vacation rental info, and as the time gets closer I'll start posting some of that. Probably before too long, since the longer you wait to book lodging at a vacation resort the fewer options are left.
Posted By: MarioD Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 08/01/16 12:13 PM
The only possible problem we may have on the weekend prior to the concert would be my wife's 50th class reunion. We do not know when that will be scheduled and if it falls on that weekend it will be my wife's call. But we should be there for the concert.
Posted By: MarioD Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 08/01/16 12:15 PM

Later,

Now THAT is funny!

No it's not mad grin grin grin
Posted By: jford Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 08/01/16 01:56 PM
I've met Pat and Matt (hey, that rhymes) in person, as well as Derryl Gabel virtually (I have Skyped with him a couple of times to help solve a problem he was having).

It would be cool to meet many of the other forum regulars.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 08/01/16 02:10 PM
Yes, I've met Pat and John and thoroughly enjoyed it! It would be my great honor to share my cabin and all things Lake George with this group.

Pat, thanks so much for coordinating. I need to do some more groundwork up here.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 09/21/16 05:04 PM
Ok, it's time to start talking more about the (drum roll....)
July 2017 BIAB forum get-together at Lake George NY... where Matt Finley and his all-star band will be performing!!

(for more details, scroll up and read the previous messages.)

Like most resort areas, Lake George accommodations tend to get booked well in advance. For that reason, if you are planning to attend this event, I strongly suggest that you make reservations ASAP.

Matt or I will post some links with contact information for places to stay... but you can also use the internet to find a rental house, motel, campground or whatever meets your needs.

The main takeaway you should get from this message is the urgency to book now. We will roll our eyes later if you wait then tell us you didn't come because you couldn't find a vacancy. ;-)

Posted By: Matt Finley Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 09/21/16 06:51 PM
Thanks, Pat, for coordinating this.

One of the reasons my band anchors the summer concert series at this particular time is that the end of July is the best weekend of the year, weather-wise, at Lake George. It's always the most busy week of the season here.
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 09/21/16 07:03 PM
Would Rutland, VT be the closest airport?...well big enough to fly into commercially?
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 09/21/16 07:12 PM
Oh no, use Albany International in Albany NY. One hour south and a straight shot up Interstate 87 (the Northway).

If you can access a smaller regional airport, Glens Falls NY. under 30 minutes south.

Rutland looks close as the crow flies, but the round-about roads would take 90 minutes.

Posted By: HearToLearn Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 09/22/16 09:34 AM
Oh no, use Albany International in Albany NY. One hour south and a straight shot up Interstate 87 (the Northway).

If you can access a smaller regional airport, Glens Falls NY. under 30 minutes south.

Rutland looks close as the crow flies, but the round-about roads would take 90 minutes.

This is why I ask! Thanks Matt!
Posted By: MarioD Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 09/22/16 10:11 AM
Matt, is July 25th still the concert date?
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 09/22/16 10:52 AM
Mario, yes, Tuesday July 25. Thanks.
Posted By: Joe -PG Music Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 09/22/16 06:00 PM
This is a fantastic idea and i'm excited to see this grow!
Posted By: MarioD Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 09/22/16 06:20 PM
When are others planning to come to Lake George? Saturday, Sunday or Monday and when are you leaving? I want to get there when most of you do and leave sometimes after. The wife and I are making a longer vacation trip.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 09/22/16 10:24 PM
Originally Posted By: Joe -PG Music
This is a fantastic idea and i'm excited to see this grow!

I guess this would be a good time to extend an invitation to everybody at PGMusic!
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 09/22/16 10:35 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
When are others planning to come to Lake George? Saturday, Sunday or Monday and when are you leaving? I want to get there when most of you do and leave sometimes after. The wife and I are making a longer vacation trip.

Good question, Mario! Hard to speak for anybody else, since I have no way of knowing what kind of plans they might make or what availability they'll find when they start calling for accommodations.

I can say that Matt has reserved a community center for the BIAB crowd to meet in on the evenings leading up to his concert. Here's his last email to me on the matter:

Quote:
Pat, I was able to put a hold on the building for Sun. through Tues. July 23 - 25. They didn't need any money up front because it's me, but by spring I will need to be more sure. Thanks.

I would hope most people will be in Lake George at least for those 3 days. That's when I plan to be there. The 25th will be Matt's concert.

Depending on the arrangements people find, I'd guess departure days will vary. Some places only rent full weeks, but I'm hoping to find a motel that I can rent for those 3 days only. If others are staying longer and we're all having the time of our lives, I'll pay to stay longer.

Does that answer your question?
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 09/22/16 10:56 PM
here are links to some places where you can secure accommodations:

http://www.bluewatermanor.com/
(I think this is pretty close to where Matt is located)

when I asked about campgrounds, Matt replied as follows:

Quote:
Yes, several camp grounds nearby, mostly south of the lake itself. Hearthstone is the big one near me.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g48016-d3467711-Reviews-Hearthstone_Point-Lake_George_New_York.html

Another very popular one is the state campgrounds at Rogers Rock, about 20 miles north of Bolton. Much more rural at the north end of the lake.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g47842-d5079359-Reviews-Rogers_Rock-Hague_New_York.html

Check out the Hampton Inn in Lake George. The owner is an old friend and music supporter of my band and Denise's and I should be able to get a better rate if we have a few staying there.
https://www.reservation-desk.com/hotel/2...mp;gclsrc=aw.ds

http://www.visitlakegeorge.com/camping/public-campgrounds

more to come, but if you search online for LAKE GEORGE NY RENTALS you'll get more hits than I could post in a year...
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 09/22/16 11:03 PM
Pat, I will see what my friend at the Hampton can do, and especially if he will rent for less than a week. Do you have a feel for how many might be staying?

Same for Blue Water Manor. Yes, that's the only motel on the same bay. I made my first money as a pro there at age 12, playing with the college staff band.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 09/22/16 11:20 PM
Can we get a tentative shout-out from everybody who is considering attending? Matt could probably use some rough numbers when asking around for special rates.

So far we've heard that the following people are considering it:

Pat Marr
Mario & Wife
John Ford & Wife
JazzManDan
HearToLearn
Charlie Fogle & Wife
JoAnne Cooper
Danny Campo & Wife
PghboeMike (If I swing by and pick him up)

Looking through the thread, that's everybody who has expressed a tentative interest in the idea. SOme may drop out as the time gets closer, others might join in.. hard to tell.

Anybody else? Any updates from the list of maybes?

oh, remember the community center that Matt reserved? We can jam there! So bring yo' gear! ;-)
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 09/23/16 01:48 AM
I am still in pat
Posted By: pghboemike Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 09/23/16 01:51 AM
places to stay
http://www.lakegeorge.com/lodging/

https://www.airbnb.com/s/Lake-George-newyork?guests=1&checkin=07%2F22%2F2017&checkout=07%2F26%2F2017&ss_id=s8g19dqk&source=bb&s_tag=TUTG7IfT

https://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/new-york/adirondack-mountains/lake-george?sleeps=1-plus&from-date=2017-07-22&to-date=2017-07-26
Posted By: MarioD Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 09/23/16 09:55 AM
Pat, Linda and I will be there.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 09/23/16 01:16 PM
Please get oodles of pix for me!q
Posted By: Joe -PG Music Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 09/23/16 05:27 PM
Hi PatMarr, This is fantastic idea and I am so glad this thread has gotten as popular as it has!
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 09/23/16 10:19 PM
Dearest Josie,

Does that hold out hopes of seeing/hearing you again?

You made many friends of we fossils. That's about 100 new fans.

It would be fantastic if Danny and other PGers could join in and do a full weekend HootenDonny. Danny has arrangements with brand new hotel manager to trade entertainment for deluxe lodging. It's very nice hotel where Danny and Linda stayed. Danny is always in perpetual sales and bargaining mode.

Hope you and Megz can catch Danny's Concert Window show on Saturday evening. He's a fabulous entertainer. (Don't tell him I said that)!

Donny
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 09/24/16 09:08 AM
Hi Donny. I am not too sure if I will make it out to Oklahoma this trip. It will probably only be a week trip and will probably just drive up to Lake George from NY (we fly Joburg NY direct)...sorry frown
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 09/24/16 02:28 PM
Originally Posted By: Joe -PG Music
Hi PatMarr, This is fantastic idea and I am so glad this thread has gotten as popular as it has!

In the time that I've been active on the forum, there have been a number of small meetings between forum members... usually isolated connections between two forum friends and their spouses.

We've talked about a group meeting on and off for years, but in the past we always started the dialog too late and people already had other plans made... so interest gave way to schedules and those get-togethers failed to materialize.

This time we learned from past discussions and started the dialog more than a year in advance, which gives everybody a heads-up as they start to plan the coming year. It's hard to tell how many will actually show up, but it's looking like it will turn into the largest assembly of BIAB forum members to date! Really... anything over TWO will be the largest ;-)

There was talk last year of having something near BIAB HQ, but it was one of the times when we started planning too late and the weekend that worked for some didn't work for others. Also, this year the majority of interested parties were closer to the east coast than the west coast.

I do think there is enough interest among the west coast contingency that if another meeting to be held on Vancouver Island was planned far enough in advance, there would be enough participation to make it work. Maybe the 2018 BIAB forum west coast bash? I'd probably fly cross country for that! ;-)

Posted By: Matt Finley Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 09/24/16 04:40 PM
Pat, I would do that once (go to Victoria) and hopefully meet PG Music staff as well as other users. Maybe for that one, we could have a few presentations/workshops.

You're really doing a great job rallying folks for next year!
Posted By: MarioD Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 10/31/16 01:03 PM
For anyone who is going get your reservations in NOW! I am finding that a lot of places are already booked solid.

Our situation is probably very different from many of yours as we are also celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary so we are staying in a family suite at The Villas on Lake George for a week. It's a little out of town but it was the only one that I found available that was suited for us. YMMV.

But the bottom line is get your reservations in now.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 10/31/16 01:31 PM
Will this be broadcast on Periscope or anywhere? The logistics of being 8 hours away with a car that drives from gas station to gas station is likely going to be a deal breaker for me. The 1000 mile round trip would cost me $175 in gas alone. Then room, food, paying my baby (dog) sitter... Just can't afford it. I hate to not be there though. Thus the wonder about broadcasting.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 11/30/16 01:54 PM
OK, time to bump this back to the top again... Mario contacted me a few days ago and mentioned that he had a heck of a time finding a vacancy, and he reinforced the fact that anybody who wants to attend this BIAB FORUM GET-TOGETHER at Lake George on July 25 2017 needs to make their reservations ASAP! Like yesterday!

Some people may want to find accommodations near other BIAB friends, so if you have made your reservations, it would be helpful to others if you post where you're staying and if there were still vacancies when you made your reservations.

I just made reservations at:
Hampton Inn & Suites Lake George
2133 Route 9,Lake George, NY, US 12845
844-236-4282 (website posted in one of the messages above)

I got a room with 2 queen sized beds and a couch, so there's room for somebody else who's willing to share the costs. If others stay at this same place it would be easy to connect and hang out.

I only booked it for 2 days, arriving on July 24 and checking out on the 26th. Anybody who wants to share the room should contact me privately. (First come, first served!) Its good to know that the Hampton Inn rents by the day, they aren't limited to full week rentals as some resort rentals are.

The Hampton Inn has an online booking page, and when I made my reservations there were still other rooms available... so... your call.

If you search online for accommodations, "Lake George" probably makes the search too large. Try BOLTON LANDING as a search phrase, and you'll end up closer to where Matt will be playing.

Anyway... this is a fun and exciting adventure for anybody who still has a desire for fun and adventure! I hope that more people get involved!
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 11/30/16 01:59 PM
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
Will this be broadcast on Periscope or anywhere? The logistics of being 8 hours away with a car that drives from gas station to gas station is likely going to be a deal breaker for me. The 1000 mile round trip would cost me $175 in gas alone. Then room, food, paying my baby (dog) sitter... Just can't afford it. I hate to not be there though. Thus the wonder about broadcasting.

After Eddie posted this, Matt contacted me by email to say that there is no WIFI where they will be playing... so the concert itself can't be streamed in real time. However, I expect that people in attendance will video some or all of the show, and post it to youtube... so... the answer is both "yes" and "no". There will almost certainly be a video record of the event, but not in real time that allows viewers to interact with the participants.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 11/30/16 02:54 PM
Thanks Pat. Great advice. A good friend who used to take me out of the upper rounds of tennis tournaments runs that Hampton. It is just behind one of only two remaining Howard Johnson restaurants in the world.

For fifty plus years, people ask me if I will record my concerts. I don't have any objection if others do, but my answer is always that I do not. The nature of what I want to create with my band is the spontaneity of a jazz cabaret. We do not rehearse. We are not 'tight'. We have a train wreck or two per concert, always fun for the audience to watch. I tell the players to have fun and go for it, so I count it off and whatever happens, happens. What this means is I value the live experience over revisiting the mistakes that will inevitably mar a recording (pun intended).

Hope that gives you a feel for my thinking about recording.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 12/01/16 12:08 AM
information for anyone who may want to stay near somebody from the forum: Mario and his wife will be staying here:

http://www.onlakegeorge.com/
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 12/01/16 12:11 AM
2 miles from my house, 5 miles from Bolton Landing, 4 miles from Lake George Village. On the water, of course.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 01/07/17 04:55 PM
Bump
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 01/14/17 03:22 PM
BUMP!

Mario reminded me that this hasn't been bumped to the top lately, and we don't want it to get lost in the avalanche of other posts on this very active forum!

If you plan to come, you probably want to nail down some kind of lodging ASAP. The place I rented would accommodate probably 2 more people., so if you want to share costs with me, send me a PM.

This forum is unique in a lot of ways. It's not just a place to get information. Its the modern equivalent of a social club. People here are friends you've never met.

Its also an older group, and as such we won't be around forever. Some who used to be regulars are already gone. This might be the last time a concerted effort is made to gather BIAB forum friends together in one place!

Nearly everybody takes a vacation. Above and beyond being an opportunity to meet your forum friends, Lake George is a first class resort area, well worth squandering your annual vacation time to see it one time in your life.

Plus you'll get to hear Matt perform! And with a little luck, maybe his talented wife too!
Posted By: jcspro40 Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 01/14/17 03:51 PM
Oh yes, my drummer is incredible. That's Joel Rosenblatt.

Joel Rosenblatt?! Man, you DO run with some great players. Tho not my style of music I can appreciate solid musicianship & songwriting, and that video has both! grin

Wish I could come, but life always has a way of getting IN the way of my fun! mad laugh
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 01/14/17 04:05 PM
Originally Posted By: jcspro40
Oh yes, my drummer is incredible. That's Joel Rosenblatt.

Joel Rosenblatt?! Man, you DO run with some great players. Tho not my style of music I can appreciate solid musicianship & songwriting, and that video has both! grin

Hey, thanks so much! I presume you mean this video that Pat posted: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B0Rg7VJgbk

The funny thing about that is, we were sight-reading this song in that concert. I had just written it to feature our guitarist, Jeff Ciampa. Joel took a terrific drum solo there, I agree.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 01/14/17 04:30 PM
Pat said: "Its also an older group, and as such we won't be around forever. Some who used to be regulars are already gone. This might be the last time a concerted effort is made to gather BIAB forum friends together in one place!"

I find myself slowly leaving the stage. I've already outlived so many famous artist friends. There are so few of us left. Perhaps that is why I love being remembered by Danny C; Josie Cooper; Summer Russell; and the many who haven't forgotten me.

I take this opportunity to thank them publicly.

Donny

BTW, Summer is visiting me on Friday, the 20th, and she will harmonize with my old vocals of Lightfoot covers. It will be webcast from my nursing home on stretjelly.com Time TBA.

PS: The 4th Annual HootenDonny will be webcast on Krue TV from my nursing home on March 10th. Please join us at 3pm Central Time. Danny and lovely wife, Linda, drive over 900 miles to entertain us old pharts for free then he donates 100% of his tips ( it's a busking venue ) to veterans.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 01/19/17 06:46 PM
speaking of BIAB forum get-togethers....

I just got back from having lunch with BOTH Fogle brothers... Jim and Charlie! Charlie's wife attended a seminar in Winston-Salem, so while she did her thing, Jim, Charlie and I hung out in a local restaurant and annoyed the poor little waitress who served us. ;-)

I set up a video camera and let it run while we talked. If anything can be heard above the background noise, I may post it.

I find both of these gentlemen to be very smart, engaging and fun to spend time with. It was my second visit with Charlie, and third visit with Jim.

I look forward to meeting more forum folk at Lake George NY this coming July, when we gather to hear Matt Finley's annual concert!
Speaking of which, Matt just emailed me to say he'll be making more information available soon about things to do at Lake George and the surrounding area. I'll post it here as soon as I have it.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 01/20/17 12:47 AM
Yep. Great afternoon with Pat and Jim.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 03/23/17 11:23 PM
Time to bump this thread back to the top...

Hard to imagine that this BIAB forum get-together and Matt Finley concert is now only about 4 months away! We started to plan this well over a year in advance because we learned from past attempts that people plan their vacations about a year in advance. So trying to plan an event that is less than a year away automatically risks losing people who have already booked their vacation time elsewhere.

The next 4 months will fly by pretty quickly I think. It will be interesting to see who all shows up!

Nobody has taken me up on my offer to share my accommodations yet, so if you want to come on the spur of the moment, there's a room available for somebody.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 05/25/17 01:05 PM
BUMP!!

Today marks just 2 months until the long-awaited concert at LAKE GEORGE NY by one of the forum's faithful friends: MATT FINLEY and his band!

Since we first started talking about this, life has changed the plans of some who originally expressed an interest in attending. At this point I don't have a comprehensive awareness of who all will be there. I know for sure that Matt, Mario and I will be there.

As stated in previous posts about this, the room I rented can hold more than one person, so if you can make it to Matt's concert, you're welcome to share my accommodations (no charge...first come first served)

If you've ever entertained the idea of meeting some forum friends, this might be the last organized effort to make something happen.

If you're still thinking about coming, please post something in this thread to let us know, as Matt has made arrangements for a hall that may be overkill if it ends up being just the 3 of us. If you don't like the idea of posting that you'll be away from home in a public forum, then please send Matt a PM to let him know.

It would be great to see any of you who are willing and able to come!

July 25, 2017
Lake George NY
Matt Finley concert
and BIAB forum get-together
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 05/25/17 02:34 PM
Thanks for the reminder, Pat, and we really appreciate all your efforts.

I made a deal with Pat that I would have my hands full producing the concert and hosting the band in the last few days leading to July 25, but until then, I'm happy to answer any questions and help any way I can.

I did reserve the community center building for Sunday through Tuesday, and I designated that as the concert's rain location. The building is in a quiet mountain location with a pond, has an excellent kitchen, and would be a great place to hang. However, if it looks like it's only a few people coming, then I would like to release that building and get some of my deposit back, because the building is in high demand for weddings and such. My cabin on the lake would be fine for just a few folks.

I grew up in Lake George and my wife Denise and I still live here as much as we can. It's one of the most beautiful places anywhere, in addition to all the various tourist attractions. It's also of great historical significance: what happened here is the reason we speak English in the USA.

I'm looking forward to meeting any of you. And Pat is a great guy; you'll love meeting him too.
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 05/26/17 01:44 AM
Sorry guys. I'm not going to make it ☹️Too much on the go and have used up all my music passes!
Posted By: MarioD Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 05/26/17 10:11 AM
I am staying in a family suite at the The Villas on Lake George for a week. They have picnic tables and a grill so if anyone wants we can cook hots and burgers and chat there.

We should find out how many are coming for sure. I'd hate to have Matt loose money on the convention center for only a few people.
Posted By: jford Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 05/26/17 12:03 PM
Unfortunately, I'm not going to make it, as much as I want to. My cervical surgery ate up every bit of leave I have and I barely have enough to get two days off to go to my niece's wedding in Memphis in June.

I know everyone will have a blast; I'll be with you in spirit. I suspect it's going to be one heck of a jam session.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 05/29/17 03:00 AM
We have Pat and Mario (and Mario's wife). I'm cancelling the reservation for the community center on Tuesday.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 06/25/17 11:27 AM
Well, this will probably be the last time I mention this... but Matt Finley's concert at Lake George is exactly a month away, on July 25th! Anybody who discovers at the last minute that they are able to show up is welcome to share the room I rented, as it can accommodate more than one person. (If interested contact me for the dates I'll be there)

If you live somewhere between NC and NY, and the only thing keeping you from attending Matt's concert is transportation... shoot me a private message and I'll decide if it makes sense to swing by and pick you up. It would be nice to have a travel companion.

July looks like it will provide additional opportunities to meet some forum members! I won't mention any names, dates or locations... but you can expect to read about another meeting with forum friends in the not too distant future.

Posted By: Matt Finley Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 06/25/17 12:39 PM
Thanks, Pat, for all you have done and are still doing.

I don't know if I ever mentioned this, but my concerts are funded by grants (and me) and are always free! No admission, not even any donations. So, if you come, I will buy your 'ticket' and if you don't like the music, I will refund double your purchase price! grin

ps we are prepared for rain or shine, but the end of July is the best weather all year at Lake George so the odds are good we will be outdoors by the lake.
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 06/26/17 03:07 AM
Wish I lived closer....
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 06/26/17 08:56 AM
Originally Posted By: JoanneCooper
Wish I lived closer....

So do we, Josie! You are the ambassador of PG Music.

Donny
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 06/26/17 02:09 PM
Wish I lived closer....

On the other hand, we need good people on each of the continents, to show the world what can be done with BIAB. Somebody's got to be where you are! If you were here, then you wouldn't be there.. and that would create a cosmic void that nobody but you could ever fill.

If any of that made sense, please explain it to me, because I'm confused

;-)
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 07/22/17 08:27 PM
It is my pleasure to share that I have now met MarioD! He's terrific. And his wife is here as well.

Pat Marr arrives tomorrow.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 07/22/17 10:58 PM
Hope the get-together goes extremely well for all of the folk participating. Best wishes to you all for a fun and enjoyable time.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 07/22/17 11:11 PM
Yeah, what Trevor said above. I only wish I could be there.

Donny
Posted By: chulaivet1966 Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 07/22/17 11:11 PM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Hope the get-together goes extremely well for all of the folk participating. Best wishes to you all for a fun and enjoyable time.

I'll gladly echo all other responses.

SIDEBAR: I do expect to see lots of pics posted (somewhere anyway) to help us all attach names to each countenance present at the event.

Carry on....
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 07/22/17 11:27 PM
Originally Posted By: chulaivet1966
SIDEBAR: I do expect to see lots of pics posted (somewhere anyway) to help us all attach names to each countenance present at the event.

Yes, I second that!
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 07/23/17 12:06 AM
Well, there are only three of us and I'll be playing, but we'll see what we can do. Thanks, everyone.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 07/23/17 04:21 AM
A lot of us are at least with you in spirit smile
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 07/23/17 02:50 PM
Would love to see some pictures.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 07/26/17 09:33 PM
The concert went very well. It was my pleasure to host and meet MarioD and his wife Linda, and for my wife Denise and me to renew our friendship with Pat Marr. As all the pictures were taken by others, I rely on them to post what they wish. Warning: some pictures may include kayaks.
Posted By: jford Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 07/27/17 11:41 AM
I saw a few on Facebook. Looks like a good time was had by all. And from the looks of things, some seriously excellent musicianship.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 07/27/17 04:19 PM
I just got home, so I have a car full of travel junk to take care of, and a lawn that hasn't been mown in 3 weeks! Once that's all done, I'll start cleaning up the video I took.

But first I'll post the raw footage so Matt can view them first and make recommendations on what to use, how to edit etc etc. Then it will take a while to whip the raw clips into a reasonably finished presentation. As soon as that's done, I'll post links here.

Mario separately recorded the audio and also took a bunch of high res photos, so I expect they'll be showing up here too as time allows.

There's a lot to say, but first I need to buy a book of superlatives so I'm properly equipped with words that accurately describe all aspects of this trip! Stay tuned!
Posted By: DrDan Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 07/30/17 03:34 PM
OK, this candid shot has been "leaked" from the recent BB get together. Until we see the official pictures this is all we got of Mario, Pat and Matt and unidentified forum member (the crew) grin

Attached picture motley-crew2.jpg
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 07/30/17 05:00 PM
Dang, you spoiled the surprise. I do have blond hair, so you got that right.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 07/30/17 06:15 PM
LOL, Dan! As we say here in the south:
"You Jes' so dang BAYud!"

On a more serious note, over the next few days I'll be posting a variety of thoughts, pics and videos... but I want to say up front that I don't want to present ANY of this as though it's about me. From my point of view, the ONLY reason for using forum space to talk about my trip is because the focal point is people we all know from the forum.

Also I think it is worthwhile talking about arranging meetings with forum friends, because it is rewarding and very easy to do! If you're travelling through a region where a forum friend lives, just PM them and ask if they want to meet for lunch! Easy as that!

As an example, prior to the 4th of July I got a message from Tommy Adams (Forum name tommyad) announcing he would be at a campground in NC, and did I want to join him and his lovely wife Benji? Of course I agreed... and the bonus was that upon arrival at Tommy's camp site, Bud and Janice Merritt were also there! With very little pre-planning we had forum friends from Fla, Ga. and NC sitting around the same campfire! You might say I was a happy camper!

No matter how well you might enjoy someone's interaction style on the forum, meeting them in person is a completely different experience. I can honestly say that everyone I've met so far has instantly seemed like a friend I've known for years.

I don't remember if anybody took a picture of this meeting.. but if Tommy, Benji, Bud or Janice has a pic to post, that would be great!

More to come....
Posted By: MarioD Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 07/31/17 04:29 PM
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
OK, this candid shot has been "leaked" from the recent BB get together. Until we see the official pictures this is all we got of Mario, Pat and Matt and unidentified forum member (the crew) grin

Well now there is no reason to post any of the pictures that I took!
Posted By: MarioD Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 07/31/17 04:51 PM
I just wanted to add that I met some of the nicest people in Lake George.

I want to thank Matt for opening up his home to myself, my wife Linda and Pat. Matt, his wife Denise and their friend Carol are fantastic people. I also want to thank Matt for suggesting places to eat. My wife loves German food and the German restaurant was great, but you may not want order a liter of beer! That was a real challenge but I did it!

Pat is another fantastic person. He and I had some very interesting conversations. It was like I have known him for years.

The concert was fantastic. Matt can really play those horns! Lucky for us Denise also sang a couple of songs. Everything was pro all the way.

I made some real friendships last week.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 07/31/17 06:24 PM
Let's put all this into perspective...

Matt joined the forum in 2000, Mario joined in 2003, and I'm the straggler who joined in 2008. That means Matt has been adding value to this online community for at least 17 years, Mario for 14 years and I've been lucky enough to interact with each of them for the past 9 years!

In that time my respect for both of them has grown substantially. I don't have many "real life" friends I've interacted with on an almost daily basis for the past 9 years, so it is fair to say that most of the active forum members are people I would consider to be friends. Yes, whoever is reading this... I'm talking about you too.

Nevertheless, there is only so much to learn from an online friendship. True friendship often assumes the role of give and take, and digital friendship doesn't lend itself to the same opportunities as real-life friendship. Hence, the road trips.

I want to talk about Matt in a separate thread because this entire event simply cannot be understood outside the context of his involvement.

Meeting Mario and his dear wife Linda was such a pleasure, I hate that it took so long to happen! We spent a bunch of time together, both as a group and as individuals, and all of it was like time spent with a lifelong friend! We have so much in common, I can see why Danny Campo described Mario as his "brother from another mother". I felt exactly the same way.

Not only are our life stories remarkably similar, but our values and core beliefs are also in alignment. If Mario and Linda lived in my town, I'm sure we would be best friends, hanging out together all the time. The interesting thing is that we live in a time when distance matters less than ever. Travel is easy, communication is instant, long distance calls are free, and the GPS lady knows how to find everybody's house.

Thanks to PGMusic for its role in making such friendships possible. Thanks to the people of the forum for being of one mind about making the forum a friendly place instead of a place like so many other forums where flame wars rage on a regular basis. It speaks volumes about the people of this forum that I can't remember ANY flame wars here in the entire 9 years I've been a member! Good job people!

I hope others will speak up about how the friendships on this forum have enriched their lives. Speaking for myself, I can honestly say that my life is better because of the friendly, interesting and helpful conversations that happen every single day on these forums!

My hat is off to all of you and I look forward to meeting more of you as time allows. I hope everyone reaches out to whoever might be nearby.

I didn't take any photos, but I did take video of the concert. Mario will probably be posting some of his photos before long, and I'll start posting video as soon as Matt has had time to preview and approve . Meanwhile, here's a teaser of the the pre-concert landscape. You can at least see what a beautiful lakeside setting Matt chose for his concert!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/96tsp0egg6a5lm9/pre-concert.MP4?dl=0
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 07/31/17 11:40 PM
Based on what I knew of Matt Finley through his interaction on the forum, I wasn't really prepared for the man I met in real life.

Yes, Matt is often the first person with the correct answer to questions on the forum... so I knew going in that Matt is very knowledgeable about BIAB. What I didn't know is that he is also a deep well of information on just about every topic that arose while I was at Lake George.

It turns out that Matt's IQ is somewhere in the mid 160s. (he couldn't reveal the exact number because his brother's IQ is also mid-160s, and his mother wisely withheld the information that would have made one of them intolerable toward the other.

Point of perspective: Stephen Hawking's IQ is reported as being 160. Yes, really.

This isn't just random information. The bane of high intellect is that life may not seem challenging enough, so Matt looks for ways to challenge himself and his band. For example, they don't practice before performances! Everybody gets charts that Matt prepares, and there is a meeting in which Matt goes over hand signals
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gv5tjy0f4bfecr9/meeting.MP4?dl=0

Armed with charts, hand signals and a whole bunch of talent, Matt and his friends march out on stage and totally kick @$$!

I'll let the videos speak for themselves, once they've been posted... but Matt's masterful performance did not end after the concert... he actually managed to ramp it up a notch.

Back at the cottage, he invited everyone present out on a late night boat ride. In the absence of city lights, the stars were amazing... (you could see the Milky Way!) Matt brought along a laser pointer ...which seemed to reach all the way to the stars... and he gave a most impressive private tour of lake and sky... naming the stars and constellations and throwing in interesting facts to boot!

Pretty awesome, right? Well... The hospitality didn't end there! The next day he taught me how to ride a kayak (something that's been on my bucket list for years)

But none of this is the most amazing thing about Matt. It is almost a cultural truism that brilliance and benevolence rarely walk together. But in Matt's case they do.

At no time was there any indication of high-mindedness. In addition to everything else he has mastered, he is a master of making people feel comfortable in his presence.

Matt, my respect for you is off the chart. This road trip turned out to be the best vacation of my life, and a large part of that is directly due to the hospitality bestowed on your guests and audience. I will be forever indebted to you and your lovely wife Denise.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 08/01/17 07:29 AM
Thank you Pat and Mario. Everything I have read about the events is just so absolutely impressive.

I am really looking forward to any photos and videos.

It must have been a wonderful experience.

Trev
Posted By: jford Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 08/01/17 10:44 AM
I experienced the same hospitality from both Matt and Denise when my wife (Anita) and I met them several years ago on our vacation trip to the Hyde Park NY area.

And, Pat, I thoroughly enjoyed our visit when you came through Pensacola on your "forum" tour through the south. Your comments above are spot-on.
Posted By: MarioD Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 08/01/17 10:45 AM
I totally agree with Pat. Matt is a brilliant person with humble roots that he did not forget.

I also have the upmost respect for Matt and for Pat.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 08/01/17 11:04 AM
Add generosity to Matt's copious attributes. Upon learning that I was having pointing difficulty, Matt sent me a vertical mouse then refused payment.

I know that Matt is deeply involved in the R&D of BIAB and volunteers his time for the benefit of all of us users.

I would love to meet Matt before I exit the stage.

Thanks Matt!

Donny
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 08/01/17 11:13 AM
Many thanks for all the kind words here. I also passed along compliments to Denise and her friend, without whom the concert could not happen. I think Pat gives me too much credit and not enough to his skills as an interviewer. Each of you will discover a warm, meticulous, and introspective friend when you meet him.

Let us not overlook that Pat singlehandedly has made great effort to bring us together. I truly treasure that.

When you finally see video of the concert from Pat, or audio from Mario, I hope it lives up to all the hype. I don't usually care about documenting my live events because as Pat mentioned, we don't rehearse. This is intentional, to give us spontaneity, and because I hire players who can do it, but we still have train wrecks on stage.

The delay in posting video is entirely on me. I went immediately to playing piccolo trumpet in a church service to three big band concerts this week. When I come up for air, I'll give Pat my opinions on posting them. I want to emphasize the originals I wrote, because they were composed in BIAB.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 08/01/17 11:57 AM
Quote:
Many thanks for all the kind words here. I also passed along compliments to Denise and her friend, without whom the concert could not happen.

FWIW, I wrestled with the question of whether or not to add comments about Denise and her friend Carol, but at the last minute I decided to orient the discussion toward the people who are already known in the forum.

Denise would require her own fully articulated story, as she is a high-achieving musical artist in her own right. Here's a link to her Youtube page:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjEiVqpbYNsB1cupPwOZ4kw

(goosebump warning!)
list of her songs:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjEiVqpbYNsB1cupPwOZ4kw/videos

Yes, she IS that awesome!

And like Matt, success has not spoiled her humanity. A sweeter, warmer human being would be hard to find.

Carol (Denise's best friend) was not only a big part of keeping the host-hostess infrastructure moving, she also reached out to me and made me feel included 100% of the time. We're staying in touch and I feel sure Carol will be a lifelong friend, not just a weekend acquaintance.

Posted By: Pat Marr Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 08/01/17 12:15 PM
Thank you Pat and Mario. Everything I have read about the events is just so absolutely impressive.

Trev

I know Australia is huge... it's hard to wrap my brain around the distances between BIAB forum members who live there. Is there any chance of a BIAB get-together between forum members in Oz? If so keep us posted... you never know who might travel to be part of it!
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 08/01/17 12:23 PM
I experienced the same hospitality from both Matt and Denise when my wife (Anita) and I met them several years ago on our vacation trip to the Hyde Park NY area.

And, Pat, I thoroughly enjoyed our visit when you came through Pensacola on your "forum" tour through the south. Your comments above are spot-on.

Likewise John! FWIW, I thought of you and Anita often while we were in Lake George. Our paths will cross again.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 08/01/17 12:43 PM
Pat, thanks for posting links to Denise's songs. They are relevant here, in the sense that I play on many of the songs and when I do, I did the arrangement in BIAB before heading to the studio. You will hear me rarely on trumpet/flugelhorn/cornet, but more often on flute, alto flute, soprano sax or vibes - whatever helped a little to make Denise's music sound even better.
Posted By: MarioD Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 08/01/17 12:44 PM
I should add that Carol did the recordings of Matt's concert. She graciously held my small digital recorder and recorded the concert. For that I thanked her very much.
Posted By: MarioD Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 08/01/17 05:25 PM
Here are a few pictures of our trip:

https://www.dropbox.com/home/Public/Lake%20George

If you can't see them let me know.

I have CRS and I forgot how to add pictures to a message. If people can't see them on dropbox them I hope someone will remind me how to add them to a message.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 08/01/17 07:10 PM
Mario,

linking to the folder "dropbox.com/home..." tries to open my own HOME directory. It might be easier (for us) if you posted links to individual files.

To do that, right click on a file in your dropbox folder, and a floating menu should appear. From that menu, pick :
DROPBOX > COPY DROPBOX LINK

That should be the same as copying the URL of the file. Then paste the link directly into a message, and people should be able to open the files even if they don't have a dropbox account.
Posted By: Keith from Oz Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 08/02/17 12:54 AM

Trev

I know Australia is huge... it's hard to wrap my brain around the distances between BIAB forum members who live there. Is there any chance of a BIAB get-together between forum members in Oz? If so keep us posted... you never know who might travel to be part of it!

That would be great, Pat. As you mentioned, the tyranny of distance is against many of us.

I think we need a good reason to get together, like "Pat Marr's coming to Oz .... let's all go meet him" laugh
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 08/02/17 09:28 AM
Originally Posted By: Keith from Oz

Trev

That would be great, Pat. As you mentioned, the tyranny of distance is against many of us.

I think we need a good reason to get together, like "Pat Marr's coming to Oz .... let's all go meet him" laugh

I like that idea... we should keep it alive in a different thread. Maybe one named "BIAB OZ Get Together 2019". It would be interesting to see if the idea builds any momentum...
Posted By: MarioD Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 08/02/17 05:32 PM
A few pictures:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/32w1jxh5iqfwfbf/Denise%20and%20Linda%20copy.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s97trhl0kumo4xi/Denise%20copy.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sxx3mvthkbsi4sx/Matt%201%20copy.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tglc1nyilzind4h/Pat%2C%20Matt%20%26%20me.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hpjetqrfyibduyc/The%20Band%202%20copy.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yqous22nj426lk7/The%20Band%20copy.jpg?dl=0

Posted By: eddie1261 Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 08/02/17 08:12 PM
One minor touchup.

The 4th link didn't work.

Try this
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 08/02/17 10:12 PM
Thanks Mario (and Eddie). The picture of the three of us (Eddie's link) was taken by my wife, Denise on our dock.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 08/03/17 12:22 AM
Thanks Mario (and Eddie). The picture of the three of us (Eddie's link) was taken by my wife, Denise on our dock.

yeah... that glorious view of the lake and mountains behind us is what Matt and Denise see when they look out the window of their cottage!

And Mario: great photos! More! ;-)
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 08/03/17 01:33 AM
Thanks for sharing. I love the one of the three of you on the dock.
Posted By: DrDan Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 08/03/17 11:17 AM
Thanks for sharing. I love the one of the three of you on the dock.

Ditto that! grin
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 08/03/17 11:28 AM
Great picture, guys!

Donny
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 08/03/17 08:02 PM
Since Matt and his wife Denise are local celebrities, the stores around Lake George NY carry their CDs. I bought Matt's and have been listening to it in my car. Man, that's my idea of good music! I've heard Matt on Pandora before, but Pandora has the annoying trait of playing one or two songs you asked for, then branching to other peoples' music.

Playing Matt's CD, one song after another has been fun. Not only does it reinforce what most of us already know (BIAB is great software for writing songs) but it also makes me more aware of the man's raw talent. Here is a link to his web page:

http://www.mattfinley.com/

Likewise, Matt's wife Denise also has a web presence. All of her songs are available for listening or buying, and both web sites are well worth visiting!

www.denisejordanfinley.com/

This is more comprehensive than the link I posted previously to her Youtube channel, which does not represent her full body of work.

Sorry if all this posting about the Finleys makes me look like a fan, but I know the members of this forum have an investment in one another, and an appreciation for good music. It never hurts to acknowledge and respect the music work of a good friend... especially when it's this good!
Posted By: MarioD Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 08/03/17 08:53 PM
I am a big fan of Matt's music and in fact I bought his CD a while back and posted how good it was. I have yet to listen to Denise's albums that I bought but I have heard a song or two of hers and they are very good.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 08/04/17 01:04 PM
Here's a nice picture of the band's front line as published in the regional newspaper, the Lake George Mirror.

I'm attempting a Dropbox link. If that doesn't work, I'll just stick it on my website.

Caution, it's a large file, 16 MB.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wmrzuwctzjvtcth/Rio%20JAZZ%20Bolton%202017.jpg?dl=0
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 08/04/17 02:50 PM
the link works here, Matt! (At 17% it fills the screen!)
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 08/06/17 08:17 AM
Sensational shot. Thanks for sharing (along with the other photos supplied by the team).
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 08/11/17 02:20 PM
Here is the first of several videos I'll be posting. This song is called LAST DAY OF SUMMER, and it was written by Matt Finley using Band In A Box software, so I think it deserves a spot here on this forum:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iv44yw1mbpfd6av/LastDayOfSummer.mp4?dl=0

As noted previously, the band does not practice before this performance! They have a pre-concert meeting in which Matt goes over hand signals etc, and the rest is a combination of improvisation and chart reading! (charts prepared by Matt of course!)

During Matt Finley's concert in Lake George, it was my goal to record everything, then post links for anybody who wanted to hear Matt's music, but who wasn't able to attend. Unfortunately, I had some technical difficulties. My camera battery ran out, so I missed parts of a couple of songs.

Also, all the swivel joints on my camera tripod were really sticky, so transitions were very jerky instead of being smooth. I used software to stabilize the footage to whatever extent is possible, but I'm going to apologize in advance for the poor quality of the video. Parts of the following video were so chaotic that I just replaced the footage with still shots.

The good news is that the main event is the music, not the video, and I thought that the sound came out reasonably well considering the fact that it was just whatever my camera's cheap built-in mic picked up.

More video to come, as time allows!
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 08/11/17 03:56 PM
Watching it right now. Thoroughly enjoyable, no question.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: BIAB forum get-together July 2017 - 08/11/17 06:32 PM
more Video from Matt's concert in Lake George:

CRITICAL MASS:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kojfoiwygthgs7u/CRITICAL_MASS.mp4?dl=0

HIS OLD GUITAR by Matt's wife Denise:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/erwcfiyudhmixqm/HisOldGuitar2.mp4?dl=0

30 CIGARS: (Another of Matt's BIAB compositions)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zozlg1n4xcjutzm/30_CIGARS.mp4?dl=0

© PG Music Forums