PG Music Home
Posted By: furry lap steel question - 12/25/16 03:36 PM
Hi folks, the wife bought me a lap steel for my christmas to compliment my musical hobby of playing accordion. Now, I know nothing about them, even how to tune them. It's a 6 string revalation RLS DLX. Body is made from rosewood & mahogany and it does have a lovely tone.
Where's the best place to get free online lessons ?
I found some cracking free lessons for the 8 string on the Sierra steel website could I compramise and use that or would that not work ?
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: lap steel question - 12/25/16 05:50 PM
What a wonderful gift. Your wife is so sweet to do that for you. I love the sound of a lapsteel. Even though they are related, to me a lapsteel sounds, and is played, different than pedal steel guitar. One thing to note when cruising any lapsteel site; a lot depends on how the lapsteel is tuned. Lapsteel tunings are typically based on open, 7th or 9th chords.

Below are some link I found when I performed an internet search using the term "lapsteel lessons"

++ YouTube Video Lapsteel for Beginners ++

++ Lessons by Steel Maker - Sierra Steel ++

++ Another Site With Laptop Steel Lessons ++
Posted By: furry Re: lap steel question - 12/25/16 06:02 PM
thanks a million Jim, appriciate the reply. Merry christmas to ya
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: lap steel question - 12/26/16 10:24 AM
search on youtube.

You can find instructions for anything on there.
Posted By: furry Re: lap steel question - 12/26/16 11:37 AM
found some great clips on the basics
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: lap steel question - 12/26/16 02:35 PM
Troy Brenningmeyer has great lessons, and he's also a BIAB user.. he uses BIAB to create his training materials

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRDqZuzReFWUSuIYUGLCHpA
Posted By: furry Re: lap steel question - 12/26/16 04:30 PM
Thanks Pat, that's who I'm looking at
Posted By: GHinCH Re: lap steel question - 12/27/16 08:42 AM
That is a great gift. Enjoy and have fun and don't torture your wife's ears for too long. (If you're just close to the tone than it is not close enough. You need to hit the tone right on the spot.) I used to play pedal steel in the 70s and 80s before the job forced me to quit...
Posted By: furry Re: lap steel question - 12/27/16 08:45 AM
I'm using headphones so she doesn't hear grin
Posted By: furry Re: lap steel question - 01/18/17 01:58 PM
Update on the lap steel, coming on a lot quicker than I thought. Can now do basic chords and I now know the key layout on the fret.
Been using biab songs to build up my backing skills. Yeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaw
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: lap steel question - 01/18/17 10:21 PM
If you don't have this album yet... you need to get it and listen and learn..... I wore that LP out....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJYRtOPUonA

David Lindsay is a master of the lap steel.
Posted By: furry Re: lap steel question - 01/19/17 04:15 PM
Thanks Herb, off to look
Posted By: jcspro40 Re: lap steel question - 01/20/17 02:17 PM
I've been a "player" off & on for the last 4 years, and have found some good lessons. I play in C6 90% of the time.

Joe Write is a good teacher for sure, he is the first one I seriously used when I started on lap steel. smile

Doug has some great, simple tabs for recognizable songs. Tho expensive, these have kept my engaged a lot more then the typical standard lessons....

25 Songs for Lap Steel Guitar by Doug Beaumier

----------

This book was THE book that finally tied it all together for me. I found it easy to follow, and all the lessons progressed logically. As a mater of fact after going thru this book I decided to "step up" from my Rogue 6 string to a home made 10 string. If you buy just one book, and use C6 tuning, this is the one to grab IMHO. wink

Basic C6th Nonpedal Lap Steel Method by DeWitt Scott

-----------

A few other places I have found useful out of all the "noise" on the net. They are mostly in 6-string C6th Tuning, my favorite after trying out most other folks favorite tunings.

Some fun licks + in Tab with audio tracks

GAA's Guide to C6 Lap Steel Resources

This site has a ton of info, and can be a pain to navigate at times....

SteelC6th

But it also has some very cool pages of licks that are fun to learn...

Various songs in various tunings...

Hope this helps! cool
Posted By: furry Re: lap steel question - 01/21/17 07:21 AM
Thanks for the great info laugh

Originally Posted By: jcspro40
I've been a "player" off & on for the last 4 years, and have found some good lessons. I play in C6 90% of the time.

Joe Write is a good teacher for sure, he is the first one I seriously used when I started on lap steel. smile

Doug has some great, simple tabs for recognizable songs. Tho expensive, these have kept my engaged a lot more then the typical standard lessons....

25 Songs for Lap Steel Guitar by Doug Beaumier

----------

This book was THE book that finally tied it all together for me. I found it easy to follow, and all the lessons progressed logically. As a mater of fact after going thru this book I decided to "step up" from my Rogue 6 string to a home made 10 string. If you buy just one book, and use C6 tuning, this is the one to grab IMHO. wink

Basic C6th Nonpedal Lap Steel Method by DeWitt Scott

-----------

A few other places I have found useful out of all the "noise" on the net. They are mostly in 6-string C6th Tuning, my favorite after trying out most other folks favorite tunings.

Some fun licks + in Tab with audio tracks

GAA's Guide to C6 Lap Steel Resources

This site has a ton of info, and can be a pain to navigate at times....

SteelC6th

But it also has some very cool pages of licks that are fun to learn...

Various songs in various tunings...

Hope this helps! cool

© PG Music Forums