PG Music Home
Hi

Can I post cover versions on sound cloud of an artist ...?

I want to post versions of a gig to my son. If that makes sense...

Thanks

Take Care
my mate took it through a wee Tascam connected to the pa..?
Legally?

You're supposed to get the license before posting any cover material because you don't own the copyright.

What people do is obviously not what the law prescribes.

To send to your son... why not simply use something like Drop Box dot com? That way, only he sees it and there are no issues to deal with .
Yea

it isn't working...

I have tried to send these clips ..

And sound cloud takes them off before .

I get a chance..?
Thanks Herb for your reply

As above there is supposed to be a time limit thing i.e..

Twenty year then we can cover stuff..?.

Am I right ..?
I don't know what your talking about dropbox...he is in his bed now ..he is in Australia...

Hope that helps..

any input would be welcome.

Thanks Take care.
anybody...

Thanks herb .

It was going to be part of there Xmas present along with the

present.we send...

Just the two boys have never seen me ..apart from sky videos..!

and I told them my hobbies or passion was this ..so ..

Happy New Year .

And thanks for your help.

Take care
Anybody ..?

On this

#

This is the link guess it will be to

late.http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?

ubb=showflat&Number=388806#Post388806

Thank You .

For Your time
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
Colly,

Soundcloud rules state that works that infringe copyright will be removed from the site.

Dropbox, mentioned by Herb, is a way of transferring large files. A free account has 2 gigs to play with. All one does is upload the file and then send the URL of the uploaded file to the person you want to have the file. They then use the URL to download the file.

Regards
Noel
Cheers Noel

I cant do that Till Tomorrow ..

Never heard of drop box ,,..neither has my son.

Maybe he doesn't want to hear the ole man doing his thing..

But my Grandkids Do ...?

Well With their Comments and vids.

I know its for them..

And then you come...!

Thank You Noel..!

Take Care
THANK YOU

Gday ..Happy New Year.

Take Care
All the best, colly.

Just to clarify my above comments, only the person uploading the file needs to create an account and install Dropbox (it's a brilliant program that I've been using for many years). The person downloading simply waits for a URL.

If both you and your son created accounts and installed the software, you'd be able to share a folder which makes transferring files between the two of you an easy process.
Thanks Noel.

Big Help.

I have it Done.

Take Care.
Originally Posted By: colly
Thanks Herb for your reply

As above there is supposed to be a time limit thing i.e..

Twenty year then we can cover stuff..?.

Am I right ..?

NO SIR. Not correct.

Depends on the date the song was originally copyrighted. 1978 is the dividing year. Before 78 it was 28 years initial with 47 on a renewal giving 75 years of protection. In 98 the renewal term was automatically raised to 67 years giving protection for 95 years on copyright.

Now, and since 1978, it's the lifetime of the author plus 70 years.

So it is in fact "time limited" but not in any useful way that would be beneficial to anyone alive when the song is written.

You need to obtain the license to cover a song that less than 95 years old.
Colly,

Copyright laws also depend on your citizenship.

Herb's above information relates to the US. Since he's a citizen of that country, they apply to him.

Here in Australia, we had a "50 year after the death of the composer(s)" limit until 2004. In 2005, this became 70 years following the death of the writers. The net result of this is that songs written by composers who died before 1955 are generally in the public domain for me as an Australian citizen. This means that I have some freedoms not available to US citizens.

To understand what rules apply to you, you should check out your local country's copyright laws. There'll be an abridged summary available somewhere on the net.

Noel
© PG Music Forums