PG Music Home
Posted By: Keith from Oz Screen Dump - 01/10/17 09:31 PM
Can anyone recommend a program that will allow me to do a printscreen and then post it here?

I know a lot of you do it, but I don't know how.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Screen Dump - 01/10/17 09:34 PM
Originally Posted By: Keith from Oz
Can anyone recommend a program that will allow me to do a printscreen and then post it here?

If you run XP, Ctl and PrtScr will do it. 7 and later has a Snipping Tool built in in the accessories folder. You can draw a rectangle around what you want to capture and save it.
Posted By: lambada Re: Screen Dump - 01/10/17 09:43 PM
ctrl + printscreen button (whole screen) or alt + print screen button will gve you a picture of your active window. Then open it in clipboard or paste to windows paint. In windows 10 paint defaults to jpg extension. Then attach them below with file manager link. load and save etc.

see examples below

Attached picture windows paint.png
Attached File
Posted By: lambada Re: Screen Dump - 01/10/17 09:45 PM
You beat me to it Fast Eddie. eek blush
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Screen Dump - 01/10/17 10:03 PM
Also, ATL and prt scr will capture only the active window.
Posted By: Keith from Oz Re: Screen Dump - 01/10/17 11:25 PM
Thanks guys.

IS that the way forum folk add BIAB screen shots to these posts?

I recall in the past a program called Tiny Pics (or something like that) was used.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Screen Dump - 01/10/17 11:27 PM
If your gonna add a shot to a post you need to have the photo somewhere on a web host so that you can link to it. You can't upload directly to the forum.

Bud
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Screen Dump - 01/10/17 11:50 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
If your gonna add a shot to a post you need to have the photo somewhere on a web host so that you can link to it. You can't upload directly to the forum.

Bud

actually, I think you can. You have to be in the advanced editor that lets you format the text. From that editor...

1)click FILE MANAGER below the text box, and then
2)click BROWSE to find the picture on your hard drive...
3) click ADD FILE, then...
4) click DONE ADDING FILES

(you won't see the photo until you send the message)
Posted By: lambada Re: Screen Dump - 01/10/17 11:54 PM
See my post. Uploaded straight in. I believe there's a size limit though and its quite small by our standards:-). There are various on-line programs that will shrink pictures.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Screen Dump - 01/11/17 12:09 AM
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr

Bud

actually, I think you can. You have to be in the advanced editor that lets you format the text. From that editor...

1)click FILE MANAGER below the text box, and then
2)click BROWSE to find the picture on your hard drive...
3) click ADD FILE, then...
4) click DONE ADDING FILES

(you won't see the photo until you send the message)

Oops. My bad. I've always linked to them. Didn't realize you could upload anything other than avatars.
Posted By: Keith from Oz Re: Screen Dump - 01/11/17 12:15 AM
Originally Posted By: lambada
ctrl + printscreen button (whole screen) or alt + print screen button will gve you a picture of your active window. Then open it in clipboard or paste to windows paint. In windows 10 paint defaults to jpg extension. Then attach them below with file manager link. load and save etc.

see examples below

I've got into onto Windows Paint" and saved as a jpg, but where can I find "File Manager Link"?
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Screen Dump - 01/11/17 12:43 AM
Oops. My bad. I've always linked to them. Didn't realize you could upload anything other than avatars.

Me too!! When I read that I was like "How have I never seen that!!!"

Attached picture picard facepalm.jpg
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Screen Dump - 01/11/17 01:08 AM
Originally Posted By: Keith from Oz
I've got into onto Windows Paint" and saved as a jpg, but where can I find "File Manager Link"?

if you have started your reply and you see formatting icons at the top of the message box, then the FILE MANAGER link should be outside the text box, at the bottom left.

If you don't see any formatting icons, that means you are still in the simple editor, in which case you need to click the button that says SWITCH TO FULL REPLY SCREEN (which should be to the right of the SUBMIT and PREVIEW REPLY buttons)

Once you are using the FULL REPLY SCREEN (AKA formatting editor) you should see the FILE MANAGER link below the text area.
Posted By: Keith from Oz Re: Screen Dump - 01/11/17 01:20 AM
That's great, thank you Pat. I'll have a play around with it.
Appreciate your help.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Screen Dump - 01/11/17 10:39 AM
Originally Posted By: eddie1261

Me too!! When I read that I was like "How have I never seen that!!!"

It's very easy to miss unless its pointed out to you. I learned in a similar thread where I took the position that it isn't possible, and Noel Adams explained otherwise. But no matter how you learn about it, it's a handy bit of information to have. ;-)
Posted By: MarioD Re: Screen Dump - 01/11/17 11:07 AM
You can post an image directly in a message but the picture will always be the last thing on the page. So if you have a number of pics they will be at the end of message and you have to remember which pic is which in your description.

If you post an image from a web site you then can place that pic between text. I find this to be the better way but YMMV.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: Screen Dump - 01/11/17 09:30 PM
Animated gif will show more detail than just a still jpg.
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=369841
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Screen Dump - 01/13/17 06:08 PM
Quickest and fastest way for me is Snagit from Techsmith.
Posted By: jford Re: Screen Dump - 01/13/17 06:17 PM
I use SnagIt as well.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Screen Dump - 01/14/17 08:04 PM
Keith,

+1 for Windows Sniping Tool.

I kept forgetting where to find it is so I dragged it to my taskbar.

Donny
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Screen Dump - 01/14/17 09:57 PM
Originally Posted By: Don Gaynor

It's in Accessories.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Screen Dump - 01/14/17 10:07 PM
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
Originally Posted By: Don Gaynor

It's in Accessories.

Trouble maker!

I know NOW! but I dragged it to the taskbar so this bent ole Irishman doesn't have to think. Clever, or what?

Donny
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Screen Dump - 01/14/17 10:17 PM
Originally Posted By: jford
I use SnagIt as well.

I used Snagit until about a week ago... but I was recently making a tutorial that required me to have a bunch of different resource hog software open at the same time, and Snagit choked. A friend recommended a free program that a lot of gamers use to record their games (which, considering the overhead games put on a PC, any app that can record video in real time without penalizing the gamer .. well, its a pretty good app)

Its called OBS STUDIO, and I'm VERY impressed with it. For making tutorials, it is awesome. You can also broadcast with it and some other stuff, but I only use it to capture screen activity for tuts.

https://obsproject.com/
© PG Music Forums