PG Music Home
Posted By: trapper456 Guitar Chord Question. - 01/13/17 06:58 PM
I am making a background for the song called "Yellow" by coldplay. There are some chords that have an astric * after them, example Emaj7* what does this mean? and how can I get BIAB to recognize it? Every time I type this * in the chord disappears. Just as if BIAB did not recognize it. Thanks in advance.
Posted By: jford Re: Guitar Chord Question. - 01/13/17 07:09 PM
I would look at the bottom of the chart to see if the asterisk perhaps indicates that there are alternate chords that could be played instead of the Emaj7. But, there is no chord extension I'm aware of indicated by an asterisk.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Guitar Chord Question. - 01/13/17 07:09 PM
Are you reading from sheet music? Does the asterisk refer to something explained below on the sheet music, like how to play that chord?

You are correct, you would not enter that character into a chord in BIAB, and if you do, BIAB considers it an error.
Posted By: trapper456 Re: Guitar Chord Question. - 01/13/17 07:13 PM
I ordered the little black songbook for Coldplay. It is basically just the Chords with the lyrics below. I am not doing it from sheet music.
Posted By: trapper456 Re: Guitar Chord Question. - 01/13/17 07:18 PM
I ordered the book called the little Black songbook for Coldplay. There is no dialog, or explanation for this * symbol. I am going to dig into some music theory books that I have, but if anyone knows the answer that would be helpful.
Posted By: trapper456 Re: Guitar Chord Question. - 01/13/17 07:26 PM
I also can't do a Badd11 in BIAB it also disappears. How do you put this into BIAB. Is there another chord that I could use for this. I just did it as Badd9, but I want the background to sound as close as I can to the real song, so I can sing it for a function. Thanks.
Posted By: trapper456 Re: Guitar Chord Question. - 01/13/17 07:27 PM
I also can't do a Badd11 in BIAB it also disappears. How do you put this into BIAB. Is there another chord that I could use for this. I just did it as Badd9, but I want the background to sound as close as I can to the real song, so I can sing it for a function. Thanks.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Guitar Chord Question. - 01/13/17 07:34 PM
Don't waste time looking in a music theory book for an asterisk in chord nomenclature. You won't find it.

Contact the publisher of this little black book for the meaning of the asterisk.

An add11 chord could be several things, depending on whether there is a third and whether it is major or minor. It implies no third. Do you happen to have the notes of the chord printed? It could be a B11 (which BIAB can display as B9sus if you check a setting), or a Bm11. But there probably is no third in the chord, which means try Bsus and see if that's the sound you want.
Posted By: trapper456 Re: Guitar Chord Question. - 01/13/17 08:44 PM
I used B11 and it sounded way better, thank you so much.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Guitar Chord Question. - 01/13/17 10:51 PM
I have seen this unique qualifier for this chord in the past. I think it was on some Spinal Tap sheet music.

Originally Posted By: trapper456
Em7* what does this mean?

The reference at the bottom of the page stated "saddest of all chords". grin
Posted By: John-Luke Re: Guitar Chord Question. - 01/16/17 01:57 PM
1 - In fact, in the chord sheet, you have Emaj7 and Emaj7*.

Emaj7 refers to a chord with open string. Used in the intro and in Verse1 of the song 'Yellow'
Emaj7* refers to a chord played at the 9th fret. Used in the Chorus1. It sounds different that the first one.

So, * is a typo convention to distinguish the two chords.

Note also that the chords diagrams refers to a NON-standard tune of the guitar (E A B G B D#).

2 - About Badd11
This chord is realized B F# B D# E, that is a B chord + E note.
It is not a conventional chord you can find in a basic music theory manual. This chord is possible to play due to the special tuning of the guitar used for this song (2nd B and D# are open strings). Furthermore, the E note is not really a 11th because it is played just a 1/2 tone above the D#.

Posted By: MarioD Re: Guitar Chord Question. - 01/16/17 04:02 PM
Originally Posted By: John-Luke

Emaj7 refers to a chord with open string. Used in the intro and in Verse1 of the song 'Yellow'
Emaj7* refers to a chord played at the 9th fret. Used in the Chorus1. It sounds different that the first one.

Note also that the chords diagrams refers to a NON-standard tune of the guitar (E A B G B D#).

2 - About Badd11
This chord is realized B F# B D# E, that is a B chord + E note.
It is not a conventional chord you can find in a basic music theory manual. This chord is possible to play due to the special tuning of the guitar used for this song (2nd B and D# are open strings). Furthermore, the E note is not really a 11th because it is played just a 1/2 tone above the D#.

FYI - Badd11 can be played on a regular tuned guitar also:

http://jguitar.com/chordsearch/Badd11
Posted By: John-Luke Re: Guitar Chord Question. - 01/16/17 04:22 PM
Yes, for the regular tuned guitar.

But in the case of Yellow song, the special tune of the guitar allows to play very easily the sequence /B Badd11/B and allows to play a full 6-note chord Badd11.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Guitar Chord Question. - 01/16/17 09:56 PM
Yup ditto.... I've been in music for decades and have never seen, to my recollection, an * used to tell you what a chord might be.

My guess would be what others have said... look in the book to see if they put the * in there to indicate something special about that chord...
Posted By: John-Luke Re: Guitar Chord Question. - 01/17/17 07:54 AM
Originally Posted By: John-Luke

As I have already explained, the * is used to distinguish two different realizations of the Emaj7 in the song.
© PG Music Forums