PG Music Home
Posted By: Pat Marr east coast blizzard of 2017 - 03/14/17 09:37 PM
how's everybody making out snow wise? anybody here getting blizzard-blitzed?
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: east coast blizzard of 2017 - 03/14/17 11:18 PM
I am about 40 miles south of Lake Erie and so far I have about 5 inches of snow. Up by the lake they usually get at least twice what I have. I am actually surprised I have as much snow as I have. You probably remember that lake effect snow that makes Erie PA and Buffalo NY unbearable in the winter.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: east coast blizzard of 2017 - 03/14/17 11:45 PM
About two feet. Drifts to over three feet around the cars. Just dug out.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: east coast blizzard of 2017 - 03/14/17 11:57 PM
Anybody heard from Mario? Up where he is he may have 6 feet!
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: east coast blizzard of 2017 - 03/15/17 01:41 AM
This sure made the headlines here in Oz:

Attached picture 2017-03-15_15-39-54.jpg
Posted By: CountryTrash Re: east coast blizzard of 2017 - 03/15/17 03:44 AM
I live in Benoni South Africa...

We had snow here on the 10th September 1981!!!

Maybe 1/2 Inch at most ....

Last time!!
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: east coast blizzard of 2017 - 03/15/17 08:53 AM
Man we got slammed here in Wilson County NC.....

It snowed so hard it almost started to accumulate on the streets. It had practically almost completely covered the grass and the car windshields.

One quarter of an inch of snow is nothing to sneeze at. That's some serious snow accumulation.

We were close to shutting down the state and declaring an emergency situation. That would have happened at 3/8" of accumulation. Man did we ever dodge the proverbial bullet on this one....
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: east coast blizzard of 2017 - 03/15/17 09:04 AM
It's terrible, the temperature dipped under 50 this morning. I had to go out to the mailbox to put an outgoing Netflix disk in it. I told Leilani, "If I'm not back in ten minutes, send out the St. Bernards, with brandy kegs." Fortunately I got in before suffering severe hypothermia.

On the serious side. I hope everyone 'up north' made it through the storm OK.

Insights and incites by Notes
Posted By: pghboemike Re: east coast blizzard of 2017 - 03/15/17 09:25 AM
What Happened? Forecasters Explain Why Snow Missed Pittsburgh
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: east coast blizzard of 2017 - 03/15/17 11:12 AM
@ CountryTrash, Herb and Notes: Y'all are just MEAN! ;-)

@Matt : TWO FEET??? wow, I hope that isn't normal winter weather for you!

@Eddie: Living that close to the lakes, sounds like you got off easy!

@VideoTrack: hard to believe that isn't a photoshopped image

@pghboemike: Sounds like you dodged a bullet too! Hard to imagine that much difference in accumulation within very narrow geographic areas

but, Herb isn't THAT far from where I live... he apparently got SOME snow while Winston-Salem didn't get any. The daffodils are still in bloom, as they have been for about 3 weeks now....
Posted By: jford Re: east coast blizzard of 2017 - 03/15/17 11:25 AM
Snow, what's snow???

(said the guy who used to live in northern Virginia and remembers back-breaking shoveling, but now enjoying sunny Pensacola, FL - although it did get down to freezing this morning, but it will get back up to 60 this afternoon).

Does that make me one of the mean ones, too, Pat?

smile
Posted By: MarioD Re: east coast blizzard of 2017 - 03/15/17 12:03 PM
We have double trouble here. Last week we had wind gusts with winds over 80 MPH (129KPH) for a 24 hour period. Many tree and power lines were down. In fact we lost three evergreen trees in our front lawn and we have a silver maple tree at a 45 degree angle in our back yard. It is hanging over our pool and chain link fence. Over 150,000 people lost power. We were very lucky in that we did not loose power. Around 1,000 people didn't have power when this storm hit, even with power companies from all over the country and Canada here.

Now we have over 2 feet (30 centimeters) of snow with another foot or so of lake effect snow predicted for today. No big deal here as we are used to snow. I was out snow blowing for about 3.5 hours yesterday blowing my driveway and helping neighbors. I'm going back out later today and doing it all over again.

The biggest fear here is that many trees are leaning and/or damaged from the wind storm. Wind speeds up to 30-40 MPH (48-64 KPH) are predicted today and with the amount of snow on these trees they could come down. Plus this weekend it is predicted to rain. If these trees don't have good root systems there could be more problems.

Luckily our house wasn't damaged. We are good, just real tired and sore!
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: east coast blizzard of 2017 - 03/15/17 12:03 PM
Pat, it's not normal for recent years but ordinary when you think of the Hudson Valley back to the 1970s. Of course, growing up in the Adirondacks (where you will visit in July), I spent my childhood in the 1950s looking up at the surface of the snow.

And that's not one of these "I walked five miles to school everyday, uphill both ways" jokes. It's true.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: east coast blizzard of 2017 - 03/15/17 01:32 PM
@John: it's hard to call a nice guy like you mean, but yep. (I guess my daffodil comment puts me in the same group...)

@Mario: Wow... sounds like you're going to have a lot of cleanup to do this spring! And if the snow turns to ice... freezing rain on compromised trees is a baaaaaaad combination! Please keep us posted!

@Matt: I grew up in the mountains of central Pennsylvania, and although I don't remember any snowfalls that were deeper than my stature, I believe you!

I hope all that snow melts before your concert in July... ;-)

(semi-related joke: My sister lives in Rochester Minnesota, where its so cold the city is connected by underground tunnels because nobody wants to go outside from Oct to about April. The standard joke there is: "I hope summer falls on a weekend this year"

Posted By: jford Re: east coast blizzard of 2017 - 03/15/17 01:35 PM
We have friends who used to live in Wisconsin who would say that they only had two seasons: winter and the 4th of July.

smile
Posted By: MarioD Re: east coast blizzard of 2017 - 03/15/17 01:43 PM
Originally Posted By: jford
We have friends who used to live in Wisconsin who would say that they only had two seasons: winter and the 4th of July.

smile

We only have two seasons, summer and let the dogs out/let the dogs in.

We have three Shih-Tzus. I have a cat door in our sliding screen door that they go out in during the summer. In the winter I have to snow blow paths for them so the can go out and do their business.
Posted By: jford Re: east coast blizzard of 2017 - 03/15/17 02:56 PM
When we experienced Snowmageddon in Virginia several years ago, before I could shovel out the several feet of snow from my driveway, I had to first dig out a path for our dog to use to do her, ummm, business. The snow was twice her height and she didn't want to have any part of it. The path worked well; however, she didn't like the "walls" of snow on either side of her.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: east coast blizzard of 2017 - 03/15/17 03:45 PM
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr

@VideoTrack: hard to believe that isn't a photoshopped image

Well, if it's photoshopped, the whole video is cleverly photoshopped also;

From the UK news

From the Australian News

From other news

From YouTube

Check any of the vision. Photoshopped? I doubt it.
Posted By: Larry Kehl Re: east coast blizzard of 2017 - 03/15/17 05:44 PM
Upper Michigan: Nine months of winter and three months of bad snowmobiling
Posted By: MarioD Re: east coast blizzard of 2017 - 03/15/17 08:08 PM
That is a real picture of the iced house. It is only a few miles from me. Kucko was a sports reporter but now has is own 1/2 news program in Rochester NY. He not only is an avid photographer he shows other's pictures in not only his but all Channel 8's news shows.

See here:

http://www.rochesterfirst.com/meet-the-team

When there is a lot of wind and freezing temperatures any house, boat house, breaking wall, pier etc in or close to the Lake Ontario shore will get iced over. In fact most all of the piers and walk ways that go out off the shore are closed and chained off every winter here. With the severe winds we have experienced lately a lot of places have ice on them.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: east coast blizzard of 2017 - 03/15/17 09:15 PM
And then there's Buffalo, where summer consists of 3 weeks in August....
Posted By: Keith from Oz Re: east coast blizzard of 2017 - 03/15/17 11:49 PM
... or the Australian ski season ..... August 5th... between 10.00am & noon smile
Posted By: Keith from Oz Re: east coast blizzard of 2017 - 03/15/17 11:58 PM
I've only seen snow once, when I was about 16. We drove to Australia's highest mountain (read "hill"). I thought the snow would be soft & fluffy... it was cold & wet.

Never went back.

ON a serious note, I hope everyone in the north gets through this without too many problems.

During our recent summer, (Dec to Feb) over 200 weather records were broken - highest temperatures, lowest temperatures, highest rainfall, strongest wind etc.

Sheesh.. what's the world coning to?

(It's probably all RHarv's fault) smile
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: east coast blizzard of 2017 - 03/16/17 09:42 AM
Originally Posted By: Larry Kehl
Upper Michigan: Nine months of winter and three months of bad snowmobiling

When I was in a road band we played the UP in Ishpeming, halfway between Northern Michigan University in Marquette and K.I.Sawyer Air Force Base. They liked us a lot so we returned a few times over the course of a year.

Beautiful country up there, but way too cold for this Florida guy.

Summer was a couple of weeks in August. One Sunday at church, the priest said that since the temperature was going to be 75 (F) that day, he was not going to give a sermon so we can get out and enjoy the weather quicker.

In the winter it snowed every day, except for one - ice rain day. The Polar Bear club used to run over about 1/4 mile of frozen Lake Superior to then jump in the almost frozen water. And I'm bundled up with as much as I can put on and still walk.

Mario, that sounds like a hurricane only worse. With a hurricane around here at least it's warm outside.

And I read a couple of later posts about skiing. My question is this, "How do you get the boat through the snow?" laugh

So I understand what you guys 'up north' are going through. I wish you all the best of luck with no permanent damage to life, limb or property.

Notes
Posted By: jford Re: east coast blizzard of 2017 - 03/16/17 10:03 AM
Quote:
I thought the snow would be soft & fluffy... it was cold & wet.

Actually, sometimes it is soft and fluffy (but obviously also cold). Other times it's cold and wet. Other times it's cold and hard. Just depends on how much it ices up when the temps go down, or if the temps rise above the freezing point.

I have definitely experienced wonderful snowfall and horrendous snowfall.
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: east coast blizzard of 2017 - 03/17/17 12:56 AM
Originally Posted By: jford

smile

I still live there and that feels a little too truthful at times wink

I surprised at how many people don't know that we usually get to 100+ degrees at some point in the summer. Not for long ever though.
Posted By: KeithS Re: east coast blizzard of 2017 - 03/17/17 02:51 PM
Grew up in the highest elevations of western Pennsylvania. One of the reasons I now live in Southern most Alabama. That and a certain Redhead that caught my eye 35 years ago.
Posted By: jford Re: east coast blizzard of 2017 - 03/17/17 03:41 PM
My wife said she would follow me anywhere, as long as it's no farther north than Virginia. smile

Of course, now, Keith and I share the Gulf Coast salt life (60 miles away from each other).

At some point, we'll need to get together, Keith.
© PG Music Forums