PG Music Home
Posted By: Janice & Bud Soundclick's "charts" What's the deal? - 03/18/17 07:36 PM
On a lark two days ago I created a soundclick account and uploaded our current user forum song "The Scepter," a rock ballad with some wild guitar (thanks to a forum friend!). Genre wise it's a bit out of our mostly blues/blues rock/country blues wheelhouse but I listed it as Americana which falls under the main Country category over there.

So today it's number 2 in Americana and 12 in "Country" with a "bullet." Country? Now wait a minute...I haven't posted links to it anywhere. What's their game plan? Spot you a top 25 and see what happens? This makes little sense to me. I guess my question is given that they have thousands of songs ranked in "Country" how is this possible? I suspect it some nefarious plot to get me to sign up for a higher, i.e., not free, level of service. smile

Anybody have any intel on how they manage their rankings? BTW, I guess I'm spoiled by SoundCloud and YouTube cause soundclick is a beast to navigate around on.

J&B

Americana is likely a sub category under the main category of country. Your listen clicks are counted first for the subcategory and also factored into the main category. Hence you are higher in the sub category and still charting decently in the main category. If you get up to #1 in the main category you are getting quite a few listens. #1 in the sub category is easier. It looks good but you can't take it to the bank.

I'm thinking there's not very many listen clicks needed to get up the charts.

Funny... I feel like Soundcloud is confusing. I guess I know my way around soundclick. Been on there for years.
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Americana is likely a sub category under the main category of country. Your listen clicks are counted first for the subcategory and also factored into the main category. Hence you are higher in the sub category and still charting decently in the main category. If you get up to #1 in the main category you are getting quite a few listens. #1 in the sub category is easier. It looks good but you can't take it to the bank.

I'm thinking there's not very many listen clicks needed to get up the charts.

Yep, this is exactly it. A few other websites do this, such a Mixcloud, and so on.
Every song I ever posted on Soundclick would chart with zero feedback. I am not rich and famous. Their charting algorithm and reporting is bogus as far as I can tell
Soundclick actually has a special algorithm that scours the web for your presence on other sites like BIAB forum to see if there are any cool pictures of you looking totally awesome with a beautiful woman at your side.

The code is<search=hot[lady]=[web<all>][site=music<all>=id class<cool> =massive<awesome>woman-is-hot>[guyiscool]<default>scansite.txt.robot>gonnabeahit>

That’s how it works. They just want to make sure you have a super awesome looking lady with you who can bust out some killer blues vocals because if you don’t they know you’re totally bogus and don’t deserve to live.

That is their main criteria, and this confuses a lot of people. I hope I have been able to clear this up.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Soundclick's "charts" What's the deal? - 03/25/17 06:43 PM
Since I set up my SoundClick account I have gotten a bunch of email from young girls who like my music and want me to visit their sites to listen to theirs. crazy crazy Seriously??

Dan,

Consider yourself lucky. You will not believe what I get on soundcloud. Not since anatomy and physiology in graduate school have I seen so much detail. My wife laughs but I am mortified and have to race to find a computer to delete.

Seriously.

I know you like me...but..come on!!! This is not animal kingdom.

smile
© PG Music Forums