PG Music Home
WARNING!!

If you get a letter from noreply@nortonmusic.com with an attachment, don't open it. It doesn't come from me - I do not have a mailbox named "noreply"

It isn't from me. It's a spoofing attack. Someone is pretending to be me. Leilani got one this morning, and that's how I know it's out there. I don't know what the attachment is, as I know better than to open it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoofing_attack

Most of you already know this - so it's a heads up for the newbies.

Notes
It looks like your email account has been hacked. I had the same and I only found it because I got a copy of the spoof on my other mail as it was in my contact list. Change your password and send an explanatory email to all your contacts and you're good.
Thanks. The first thing I did was change my password.

I sent out an e-mail to about 500 people, and so far nobody else got one.

I checked my gmail and att account and didn't get one there either.

And it came from "noreply@" an e-mail address I do not have and never have had. If the person really wanted someone to open it, why not my regular e-mail address?

So I suspect it was just spoofing.

But as always, better safe than sorry.

Notes
Spammers and malware spreaders can make an email appear to have come from an account or domain w/o having actually hacked the account. It happens a lot. Not much you can do about it other than what you've done. They get a list of email addies, millions are available, and then spoof the return address and send it out hoping to hit somebody that knows the person.
Thanks.

I am about 99% sure it's spoofing, and warning others is the best I can do.

Most of us know not to open unsolicited attachments from others, even our friends.

So far Leilani is the only one I know that got this, and the first thing she did was ask me if I sent her something. She deleted it.

But nobody responded to my e-mails or posts, so I figure the address was spoofed and sent out to an untold random number of people, but since only one of those were on my list, the rest went out to people who don't know me.

I hope it wasn't ransomware.

Insights and incites by Notes
© PG Music Forums