PG Music Home
Posted By: Janice & Bud Ode to the SM57 - 05/21/17 12:57 PM
Off and on for 30 years I played bass fiddle through one of these. Used to wrap it in foam and stuff it behind the tailpiece. Our band used only 57s and 58s for years. Built like tanks. Likely impossible to find a group that didn't use them.

https://reverb.com/news/gear-tribute-the...37bd59-63396281
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Ode to the SM57 - 05/21/17 01:56 PM
Oh yes, built like tanks. I take a spare 57 and 58 to every show. I don't use them, but if I ever needed to, I know they'd work.

Finally, someone else with an animated avatar. Bravo.
Posted By: chulaivet1966 Re: Ode to the SM57 - 05/21/17 02:11 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Our band used only 57s and 58s for years. Built like tanks. Likely impossible to find a group that didn't use them.

I agree.....time tested to be s(h)ure. smile

That's all we used too.
During my live band days I had (7) of them. (1974-1980)
(3) Congas: (1) SM57 for each, mic'd at the bottom sound hole.
Trap set: (1) overhead, one on kick, one on snare
For my vocals: one 57 at the conga setup - one Unisphere 1 PE50SP and the trap set.

I sold most of them some years ago....kept one 57 and my Unisphere.
My Unisphere 1 (purchased 1974) has a small dent in the mesh ball.
Probably dropped at some gig but it still works just fine.

Ahh....the memories.

A good to all....
Posted By: jazzsax Re: Ode to the SM57 - 05/21/17 02:30 PM
I use both, 57 for sax, 58 for vocal. Never have had a problem with them.
A friend has a 58 with a on/off switch, I was unaware of that option but it's available for a few dollars more.
Awhile back I found a 57 and a folding mic stand at a garage sale for $10 and now have a spare.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Ode to the SM57 - 05/21/17 03:18 PM
The on/off switch just gives you something to break in an otherwise unbreakable mic. laugh
Posted By: rharv Re: Ode to the SM57 - 05/21/17 05:23 PM
FWIW my preference is the 57 in the 'any given situation' scenario.
I can make a 57 sound like a 58 if needed, and not worry about transients so much.
Going the other way is more difficult, in my experience.

Using an SM-58 on a snare scares me .. a 57 not so much.

On vocals, either is fine. I prefer the sound of my own voice using a 57, but some other people I work with prefer a 58 on their vocals.
All mics are different.
Guess that's why there are so many options available. Kinda funny, since the 'guts' of a 57 are much like a 58 .. yet they sound/behave differently.

If anyone ever asks me what mic they should buy first, my un-hesitated response is an SM-57

Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Ode to the SM57 - 05/21/17 05:25 PM
I still have one also. During my last few years of gigging I used a contact pickup on my bridge but honestly could not say it was any better than the 57 close miked on a F hole. We have a production coming up that I plan to play on and after this conversation I might have to use the 57 smile

Bud
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Ode to the SM57 - 05/21/17 06:56 PM
I still have one of these:

Vintage Shure Brothers SM56 Unidyne III Dynamic Microphone w/ Impedance Switch!!! grin

Posted By: Tobias Re: Ode to the SM57 - 05/22/17 02:59 AM
My wife and I are currently using a pair of Beta 58A. They were given to us in almost new condition. That's why we've been using them. We keep them in our small rig bag so they ready to go at moments notice. But she prefers her SM87 condenser and I found the AKG D880 Emotion works well with my voice for live performance.

Here's my old Professional Entertainer PE57 Omni directional (circa 1979). Still works and sounds crystal clear. The cord is about 25 ft long. I have the top part of the 2 piece desk stand, the clip portion, around here somewhere too. The switch has never worked. Does not turn off.

Attached picture IMG_5976.JPG
Attached picture IMG_5975.JPG
Posted By: MarioD Re: Ode to the SM57 - 05/22/17 09:00 AM
I have an old Shure Brothers Incorporated, Model 545SD,Unidyne III mic that I still use when I record my guitar parts through an amp. I bought it sometime in the mid 1960s for my vocals. It still works just fine.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Ode to the SM57 - 05/22/17 09:48 AM
I bought a Shure SM-58 many decades ago.... easily close to 40 years ago. I paid $100 for it at the time. The funny thing is, they still cost $100 now.

That mic has been through multiple bands and thousands of nights on stage imparting my vocal ambulations to the masses. It's been dropped, knocked over, rained on, it's been set on fire (well, the foam windscreen was toasted at least twice live on stage), and had to endure the alcohol infused condensate of a cold mic with warm breath 98% of those nights, and it lived in smoke filled rooms the entire time...... In other words, it's been through the proverbial wringer and like a Timex watch.... it took a licking and it keeps on ticking.

I use it now from time to time to mic my amp in the studio. And it still sounds as good as ever.

One of the best made pieces of musical gear ever.
Posted By: lambada Re: Ode to the SM57 - 05/23/17 10:41 AM
About 30 years ago I bought a 50th Anniversary box set of a Shure 58 and Shure 57. I've never really used the 57 but I like the Shure 58 for vocals. About 10 years ago I bought a PA in China and was given 2 sets of Shure Wireless mics. Probably fake, but you never know! We occasionally use them for Karaoke at home.
Posted By: ROG Re: Ode to the SM57 - 05/23/17 06:56 PM
If you could only have one mic....

I think a lot of people would have to say SM57.

I used a Unidyne 3 back in the 60s and I've got a pair of SM57s now. Wouldn't be without them.

Hey, not only are they versatile and sound great, but did you know you can drop them on the floor and they still work! Try that with a Neuman U87.

ROG.
Posted By: rharv Re: Ode to the SM57 - 05/23/17 07:35 PM
I agree with ROG. If I could have only one mic the SM57 would be it.

Luckily we live in a world where that is not a concern.
We used 4 57's at last week's session and 2 58's, hopefully they are all still set up for tomorrow..
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Ode to the SM57 - 05/23/17 08:34 PM
I was in a 60 voice choir and a smaller 8 person vocal ensemble in the 80's and all of our mics for vocals were 57's with the foam toppers. The only other mic that we used was the first model of crown PZM that we would tape inside the lid of whatever piano was on hand.

FWIW you can use a 57 as a sort of PZM out in frnot of a drum kit if you have a hard floor and can solidly mount it capsule down as close to the floor as you can get it. Try it as a full kit mic.

I've never owned one myself. I won an EV PL80 many years ago and that serves me just fine. The only other dynamic mic in my mic arsenal is a Samson 58 knockoff with a 16bit USB interface built in.
Posted By: Island Soul Re: Ode to the SM57 - 05/25/17 11:24 AM
The 57 is great on just about anything. I've used it on snare drums guitar amps and evern on my steel drum(which I then switched to a Rode M3 was way better than the 57).
Posted By: rharv Re: Ode to the SM57 - 05/26/17 08:43 PM
Just last night I had to kinda insist we switch the snare/hihat mic to a 57 (instead of 58).
In the end everyone was happy with the resulting tracks, but it's funny how some situations are. I had to actually argue the point.
Glad I did.
It really is much better.

© PG Music Forums